Warrior Hammer - Staggering blow (4)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I think,that most warriors who use a hammer can agree with me that the self root on skill 4 for the hammer users , “Staggering Blow” is making this skill completely useless at times.The cause is the self root it gives in return,People move around..all the time,constantly,they do not stand still,plus the skill is Horribly slow,especially after using another skill.

The swings it needs to finish from the previous skill looks like it makes Staggering blow take like 1 – 1.5 sec longer before he finally swings his hammer.In a 1vs1 situation this skill becomes pretty much useless unless you manage to root your target,mind you i do not think it “should” be needed to bring an immobilize with you to make a skill on your skillbar able to hit a target ( also having to equip either frenzy or sigil of rage to make it work properly shouldn’t be needed)

What i’m basically syaing is,the root on Staggering Blow needs to go,its not even a request.Its a Must for the warrior class,the hammer is already slow to begin with,people kite and move around,people teleport,people stealth,go invisi,i think self rooting skills for a warrior are a deadly thing.

Please,have a Serious look into this.

Also i think the knockback effect of Staggering blow- 180 is pretty limited,especially compared to guardians blowout that covers a 780 distance.This could also easily be doubled to 360.

“Also,these improvements would make the hammer warrior more fun to play with,less frustrating overall and is by no means in order to make my class “op”,i don’t want my warrior to be op,i want it to be balanced vs other classes.Its just a frustrating deal at times and it would make the hammer warrior more balanced and a bit more mobile vs other classes."

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brennus.1435

Brennus.1435

I can understand why an aoe knockback/down skill has a root on it. But when you compare it to the guardian as you did, the windup and range is a bit stupid… until you realize that a majority of the hammer skills are also cc. What I have a problem with on the hammer is simply the flow of it. It feels really awkward at times to me, simply because of the windup on the 4 skill. Auto attack feels okay, 2, and 3 feel great, windup on 5 is huge, but you can move around to aim it at your target, or realize that target is out of range and hit another real quick, so it’s versatile. The 4 skill just doesn’t really flow well with the others. I say leave the cooldown, the windup time, and the low knockback range, and just remove the root. So that it flows with the other skills.

“Everyone is born a 5 signet Warrior,
what we become later only depends
on how hard we try and how good we want to become.” -HannaDeFreitas

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

It needs to be able to be used on the move to be even remotely useable. I’ve stopped using it in both PvP and PvE because the enemy will just walk out of range.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Suggestions

Caedmon.6798

It needs to be able to be used on the move to be even remotely useable. I’ve stopped using it in both PvP and PvE because the enemy will just walk out of range.

They take one step backwards,and you miss your target,so either they can fix this by

Increasing the range of the skill
Remove the root
Make skill 4 swing faster

in Suggestions

Posted by: CreepyWilly.7902

CreepyWilly.7902

I do agree, compared to Guardian’s hammer synergy we’re short a breath. The swing should be faster than this. #5 Swing timer is ok, as i can run a long distance and smash an unsuspecting foe while ’’chanelling’’. The rooting is not a problem in itself, i think the use you make it is. It’s not a ’’dmg’’ dealer but a control over. I only use it on pulls when melee monsters are away from ranged, i run in the back and knockback the ranged to make em more easily killed by AoE. It’s about controlling a fight, not damage dealing. Or counter a sneaky thief in pvp. With this short range of knockback you can easily tell where he will land, even if he’s stealthed you can have a general idea where he can be and use F1 to pin him down.

Tl:dr → Hammer = control. Swing timer should be increased slightly for #4.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

I was doing the New spirit maps and they had two hammer warriors that who apparently were gods at the hammer, no matter how much I tried to dodge I still got knocked around and CC’ed. I watch them do this to at least 4 people. So apparently they learned how to use the hammer properly or they are gods.

Personally seeing more than just those two people use it with precision of a freaking surgeon I am inclined to believe that people just need to practice with it more. The Warrior hammer is already a pain and aggravating to deal with in TPvP and SPvP as is when the person knows how to us it. Giving more mobility would almost make it game breaking.

Sorry just my 2 cents

TL;DR There are tons of players that can use it fine how it is and are really really effective.

in Suggestions

Caedmon.6798

I was doing the New spirit maps and they had two hammer warriors that who apparently were gods at the hammer, no matter how much I tried to dodge I still got knocked around and CC’ed. I watch them do this to at least 4 people. So apparently they learned how to use the hammer properly or they are gods.

Personally seeing more than just those two people use it with precision of a freaking surgeon I am inclined to believe that people just need to practice with it more. The Warrior hammer is already a pain and aggravating to deal with in TPvP and SPvP as is when the person knows how to us it. Giving more mobility would almost make it game breaking.

Sorry just my 2 cents

TL;DR There are tons of players that can use it fine how it is and are really really effective.

I don’t think you understand the point of this thread.This is not a “i have no clue how to play a warrior properly or how to use a hammer,please learn me how to play” thread,so you also dont have to tell me twice that i don’t know how to play.It’s a suggestion to fix a skill,wich you won’t know if you don’t play a warrior.Never did i say once that i was unable to kill people,kd them or stun them,that is not the issue here.Ive been playing since august,and been using hammer since that day,hence i know the hammer,its strengths its weaknesses and its buggy behavior at times,thus this thread to make a suggestion to fix a skill.The issue is related to 1 skill and 1 skill only.Number 4 is not an op skill,its a mere knockdown,its not a 100b dmg kinda skill that will make sure that when you hit your opponent that he wont survive the attack,its a control skill thats needs fixing.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

Sorry just my 2 cents

I don’t think you understand the point of this thread.This is not a “i have no clue how to play a warrior properly or how to use a hammer,please learn me how to play” thread.It’s a suggestion to fix a skill.Never did i say once that i was unable to kill people,kd them or stun them,that is not the issue here.Ive been playing since august,and been using hammer since that day,hence i know the hammer,its strengths its weaknesses and its buggy behavior at times,thus this thread to make a suggestion to fix a skill.The issue is related to 1 skill and 1 skill only.Number 4 is not an op skill,its a mere knockdown,its not a 100b dmg kinda skill that will make sure that when you hit your opponent that he wont survive the attack,its a control skill thats needs fixing.

I never said any of what you presumed I said, I see this as you possibly mis-understood me.

SO in turn the way it works now with Hammer skill #4 man y many many players have no issues using it effectively in a 1v1 setting. So why if a multitude of other players have no issues in using it effectively in a 1v1 does it need to be changed to a quicker swing. The attack is already devastating, not so much damage but in the control affect. So I guess my question is, If so many other players I have seen, can use it with out issues why does it need to be changed?

in Suggestions

Caedmon.6798

Sorry just my 2 cents

I don’t think you understand the point of this thread.This is not a “i have no clue how to play a warrior properly or how to use a hammer,please learn me how to play” thread.It’s a suggestion to fix a skill.Never did i say once that i was unable to kill people,kd them or stun them,that is not the issue here.Ive been playing since august,and been using hammer since that day,hence i know the hammer,its strengths its weaknesses and its buggy behavior at times,thus this thread to make a suggestion to fix a skill.The issue is related to 1 skill and 1 skill only.Number 4 is not an op skill,its a mere knockdown,its not a 100b dmg kinda skill that will make sure that when you hit your opponent that he wont survive the attack,its a control skill thats needs fixing.

I never said any of what you presumed I said, I see this as you possibly mis-understood me.

SO in turn the way it works now with Hammer skill #4 man y many many players have no issues using it effectively in a 1v1 setting. So why if a multitude of other players have no issues in using it effectively in a 1v1 does it need to be changed to a quicker swing. The attack is already devastating, not so much damage but in the control affect. So I guess my question is, If so many other players I have seen, can use it with out issues why does it need to be changed?

I did not misunderstood you at all,you were saying “those people learned how to play”, meaning that I don’t.Please,dont insult my intelligence in this manner.
Again,if you do not play a warrior you have no clue what you’re talking about,since you do not use a hammer.I know alot of other people that do use a hammer,and also see the problem im speaking of.You also never saw me say once,that i am Always unable to hit my target or kill anyone as i said earlier,its kinda a “must” to bring immobilize,frenzy,or put a sigil of rage on your hammer to make the skill effective.This is not about my ability or skill,or the lack there of to be able to kill someone effectively,this is about a buggy skill wich self roots while it shouldn’t,and also about the animation that is too slow compared to the others or in following after skill 3 or 5 for ex.

Now,leave the l2p comments out of this thread,and do not derail it again.
This is a serious matter,and a serious suggestion to anet.

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

Sorry just my 2 cents

I did not misunderstood you at all,you were saying “those people learned how to play”, meaning that I don’t.Please,dont insult my intelligence in this manner.
Again,if you do not play a warrior you have no clue what you’re talking about,since you do not use a hammer.I know alot of other people that do use a hammer,and also see the problem im speaking of.You also never saw me say once,that i am Always unable to hit my target or kill anyone as i said earlier,its kinda a “must” to bring immobilize,frenzy,or put a sigil of rage on your hammer to make the skill effective.This is not about my ability or skill,or the lack there of to be able to kill someone effectively,this is about a buggy skill wich self roots while it shouldn’t,and also about the animation that is too slow compared to the others or in following after skill 3 or 5 for ex.

Now,leave the l2p comments out of this thread,and do not derail it again.
This is a serious matter,and a serious suggestion to anet.

LOL Someone is getting upset and not understanding, And thanks for assuming I never play a warrior. I do play a warrior along with the rest of the 7 other professions. I do use a hammer in PvP and where I miss some times with #4 I have no issues with it.

But for sake of argument let put it this way

I know alot of other people that do use a hammer,and also see the problem im speaking of.
( first off it is A LOT not alot )
now if by a lot of people you mean over 225,000 players then yes you have something. Although I know many many player that have no issues at all and would disagree with you, although that does not make the majority of the player base. Personally if over half the game has this issue then arena net should change it, my bets are that less than 2% have this issue and about 20% just need to learn how the skill works. NOW before you start raging at your keyboard there Conan I am going to presume you are in that 2% not 20% so I am not telling you L2P

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wreckdum.8367

Wreckdum.8367

Elementalist updraft. Instant cast longer knockback and an evade. GG

GW2 is the most balanced game out right now.

EDIT: And unless you play a hammer warrior, don’t add your opinion. I live for the hammer… I took the time to grind The Juggernaut and have over 1300 hours on my warrior with at least half of that using the hammer. It needs work. Fixing staggering blow is just a start.

Rex Smashington – 80 Norn Warrior <Tyrians United Retard Division> Yak’s Bend
“That big kitten Norn with The Juggernaut”

(edited by Wreckdum.8367)

in Suggestions

Caedmon.6798

@kaimick,just drop it please,your not providing anything usefull to this thread as of now.if you have or lack the “skill” to even properly use a hammer or not,has nothing to do with it at this point.

@Wreckdum,great to see another avid hammer user seeing the same problem as i do.The hammer could use some fixing,period,and imo it’s staggering blow that needs the biggest fix,im not even talking about the f1 that never lands on uneven ground.

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

Elementalist updraft. Instant cast longer knockback and an evade. GG

GW2 is the most balanced game out right now.

EDIT: And unless you play a hammer warrior, don’t add your opinion. I live for the hammer… I took the time to grind The Juggernaut and have over 1300 hours on my warrior with at least half of that using the hammer. It needs work. Fixing staggering blow is just a start.

Your argument is that ele’s can do updraft that is a knockback and an evade GG?
Your right they can but updraft which gives a blowback of 200 and no damage. Staggering blow not only knocks back but does damage

@kaimick,just drop it please,your not providing anything usefull to this thread as of now.if you have or lack the “skill” to even properly use a hammer or not,has nothing to do with it at this point.

@Wreckdum,great to see another avid hammer user seeing the same problem as i do.The hammer could use some fixing,period,and imo it’s staggering blow that needs the biggest fix,im not even talking about the f1 that never lands on uneven ground.

I am providing nothing useful cause I don’t agree with you lol? I provide nothing useful because I point out that there are plenty of players Including my self that has logged over 800 hours in pvp alone on my warrior that is Hammer/ rifle, that have no issue with how Staggering blow works? If as you say I am providing nothing useful to this thread ( which is a clear violation of the ToS of the forums ) please report my post.

Although the harsh reality of the truth is that I am one of many players unlike your self that has no issue with staggering blow. I also feel if you remove the root mechanic of staggering blow it makes the skill somewhat broken, as hammer warriors are the clear definition of CC in this game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Gotta agree with Kaimick, Hammer warriors are fine as is. The skill simply requires more skill to use effectively. I’ve put more than a few hours into my warrior in pvp, prefer the hammer for pvp and have little trouble using skill 4. Time things better and it is fine.

This is not an insult in your intelligence so much as you insulting the skill of others that have learned when to use it and when not to use it. The power of the skill requires a negative, the hammer is not ment to be super mobile (that is more the place of the greatsword/longsword).

Those dissenting against you OP are still adding to the thread just fine, you simply cannot handle those who don’t agree with you it seems. Telling people to leave a thread to get them to stop posting and finding fault with your suggestion also breaches TOS, if you cannot handle people punching holes in your ideas…we are being far kinder than ANet will be when they read over it in their offices. Speaking as someone who has family in the business, devs based around balance in an online game are brutal on suggestions.

in Suggestions

Caedmon.6798

The hammer is not fine as it is,that even beyond the need to fix staggering blow there are other things that could use some work i havent even mentioned and could need a whole new thread in its own.Also there is a reason why they removed the self root on skill 3 Months ago,wich was present at first.I dont care about him disagreeing with me,thats fine if you lack the understanding to see whats wrong with the hammer.But blaming it on me not having the skill to use it,is also the wrong approach.Imo its a fact that there is no need for a self root on staggering blow,pure and simple,i understand that its needed on a skill like hb wich is an Op skill that does tons of dmg and can down multiple people in a row when used effectively,on staggering blow that is not the case,its merely a control skill.

in Suggestions

Posted by: KSops.2846

KSops.2846

I like the idea of a hammer warrior. I’ve been using it as my primary weapon since launch on my main. In case it’s relevant, I’m decent at using #4 in PvP (or at least I consider myself able to).
However, just because people can use it fine or even exceptionally well, can it not be the case that this root is an unnecessary barrier to entry? I’m interested to see if there’s a reason there’s a root on it, and what that impacts.

When they removed the root on #3, I felt that combat overall was more fluid. It’s not that I couldn’t hit before the change, but it felt disruptive to have to stop, angle the hit, and release. Now, when I need to use it for say kiting, I can retreat while facing a mob and release it for the cripple. I don’t think it made any significant impact in terms of being superior or OP. It’s not even about being “easy mode”. It feels more natural and fluid in combat, which seems to have been one of ANet’s design goals.

So with that in mind, I’m wondering about the impact of removing #4’s root with respect to breaking gameplay. If it doesn’t impact anything in terms of game balance, then why should we create this barrier to entry? As it is, we have a chanelling #5, and at worst case there’s swiftness on a warrior using it as he/she charges in. There’s ample visual cue to dodge or block it. I would be inclined to say the same for #4. If there was a wider arc or a more significant knockback distance, sure removing the root might make it crazy.

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

The hammer is not fine as it is,that even beyond the need to fix staggering blow there are other things that could use some work i havent even mentioned and could need a whole new thread in its own.Also there is a reason why they removed the self root on skill 3 Months ago,wich was present at first.I dont care about him disagreeing with me,thats fine if you lack the understanding to see whats wrong with the hammer.But blaming it on me not having the skill to use it,is also the wrong approach.Imo its a fact that there is no need for a self root on staggering blow,pure and simple,i understand that its needed on a skill like hb wich is an Op skill that does tons of dmg and can down multiple people in a row when used effectively,on staggering blow that is not the case,its merely a control skill.

I just re-read through all my post, and not once did I every say you needed to get more skill. In fact what I said was plenty of people use it with effectiveness cause they have learned how to use it properly. I am not saying you have no skill I am just saying other people learn to work around it. Staggering blow is not meant to work as a solo skill, personally I do my cripple and vuanl then knock down then staggering blow. With the knockdown they can’t dodge it or move from it. IE I believe the skill is working as intended, if a developer comes on and say’s the skill is not working as intended then so be it. Not saying you are but if you are using the skill as a solo base skill then I am sorry you are using it wrong, can you still use it and land it yeah but not with 100% accuracy. This is usually the case when I am playing my Warrior, I get hasty and hit Staggering blow while they are not CC’ed.