We need duels and wow-style arenas!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Delhart.7891

Delhart.7891

Hello! I think this game should have duels because it is pvp-oriented game and players want to test their builds in real fight or at least find out who is stronger, call it whatever you like.

Wow-style arenas would be great addition too imo. Original GW had same fashioned pvp-mode (4 vs 4 arenas). Some people don’t like it – but there only would be more options! It is win/win. Some people like wow arenas, some like sPVP 5v5 matches. Play what you want.

Anyways this game needs some duel options, even if you don’t like wow arenas you should agree with that!

I hope arena.net will hear me and people who are thinking like me!

in Suggestions

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

While I’m all for more PvP options, I certainly wouldn’t want to see a “duel” option enter the PvE section of the game. The ability to duel one-on-one in PvP is one thing, but PvE should definitely be free of that kind of stuff.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jhu.3965

Jhu.3965

What’s wrong with duels in PvE? They can be a fun way to kill time.

If you’re worried about people harassing with duel requests, just make it a blockable feature.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

While I’m all for more PvP options, I certainly wouldn’t want to see a “duel” option enter the PvE section of the game. The ability to duel one-on-one in PvP is one thing, but PvE should definitely be free of that kind of stuff.

As I roleplayer, I’d love to see duels in PvE. I don’t see the harm, or why anyone would oppose that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SteamRanger.5167

SteamRanger.5167

Why anyone would oppose that is because people tend to be completely oblivious to other people around them. Players who like to kill time dueling seem to enjoy doing it in populated areas where they can be seen. They have no consideration and no self-control.

I’ve had enough of this behavior to last me a lifetime.

in Suggestions

Eochaidh.4106

Why anyone would oppose that is because people tend to be completely oblivious to other people around them. Players who like to kill time dueling seem to enjoy doing it in populated areas where they can be seen. They have no consideration and no self-control.

I really have no idea on why this would bother you. It is no worse than people spamming skills in town.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cherrysoul.3507

Cherrysoul.3507

Duels, no and Arena’s are covered we have Tournaments. GW2 is not WoW and nor should it be, more than enough PVP in this game, and if you want to Duel go choose an empty sPVP map.

in Suggestions

Eochaidh.4106

and if you want to Duel go choose an empty sPVP map.

That is such a horrible alternative it’s not even funny. I wonder why people keep on bringing that up. Those maps are made for large scale capture-the-point play, not dueling. It is amazing that so many people oppose dueling so fiercely when it’s a feature they could just ignore if implemented.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cherrysoul.3507

Cherrysoul.3507

I was offering an alternative to standard duelling, how hard is it to join an empty map, and meet up in the middle and duel? (in the meantime) you wanted duels, and while they are not in game yet, why not seek an alternative?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Karther.7481

Karther.7481

Allowing duels would be amazing. Whenever a friend wants to test something or we want to kill time at so and so place waiting for the last of our guildies etc etc to arrive we have no duel option. Every MMO I’ve ever played has had one. I miss it so much.

I fear they left it out over fears it would lead to crying over such and such profession not being able to beat another 1 vs 1 moreso than otherwise, when they’re probably not all even meant to be balanced for it.

Rhelex – 80 Asura Necromancer
Time To Leave [GTFO] – a WvW Guild
Piken Square server

in Suggestions

Eochaidh.4106

@Cherry
You’re not only offering an alternative, you claimed that duels are “covered” (if I got that right). That is hardly a very viable option, really. I don’t think it is fair that we have to stop whatever we are doing, go to the mists, find an empty map and find each other there hoping that no one else joins to break the party. What harm would there be if we could just duel each other instead?

in Suggestions

Posted by: DjHeavyGrinder.7246

DjHeavyGrinder.7246

Wow-style arenas would be great addition too imo. Original GW had same fashioned pvp-mode (4 vs 4 arenas). Some people don’t like it – but there only would be more options! It is win/win. Some people like wow arenas, some like sPVP 5v5 matches. Play what you want.

Sounds good. But I would love to see some UO-style faction/guild vs guild PvP in the open world (PvE) part of the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Searingarrow.4637

Searingarrow.4637

Seriously why the hell shouldn’t they be allowed in PvE? It is literally a feature that is one there for fun or for testing things out on friends… Its not like you need to balance around duels or that you need to do duels to get anything in the game. You are literally just being a selfishkitten

in Suggestions

Searingarrow.4637

and if you want to Duel go choose an empty sPVP map.

That is such a horrible alternative it’s not even funny. I wonder why people keep on bringing that up. Those maps are made for large scale capture-the-point play, not dueling. It is amazing that so many people oppose dueling so fiercely when it’s a feature they could just ignore if implemented.

Agreed. People are just selfish… It doesn’t effect them in any way. They don’t enjoy duels so they think nobody else is allowed to enjoy them either.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mar.7103

mar.7103

I would like to see duels also. Me and my friend are itching to test each other out.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Valcruze.8176

Valcruze.8176

This is Guild Wars 2, not Fist Fights 2. Everything about this MMO is “band together and play.”

Even they do add a dueling option, it should not be in PVE. Pretty sure a lot of players would not like it when some itchy brawler wants to test on everybody.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Libix.1239

Libix.1239

Yes add duels and arenas! =D

in Suggestions

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

While I’ll disagree that we NEED arenas, I know I and many others really, really want dueling. Team deathmatch SPvP maps would be welcome as well.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dragonlord.6748

Dragonlord.6748

I honestly get rather irritated when I see threads with topics like this one.

“We need”?

If people really want something in the game thats fine, but what you are doing by saying “We Need” is presuming that everyone want it and that its for some reason required in the game.
I you want something added, please at least use proper terminology, and dont presume to speak for others.

I for one do not need any of this crap, nor do I want it.
Every MMO I have played that had a dueling system I would have players in the most populated areas spam me with duels, and when I declined them they would just do it again with no regard for my interests.

in Suggestions

Posted by: sweety.8067

sweety.8067

i dont need stuff like that , but understand some peeps wanted to try there skills before entering a wvwvw or stuff like that.
maybe its an option for that in the instanced area in the main city.
make a party with your friend who wants the duel and enter, they or not disturbing any one else there
but in the open , no thx as the poster said above i dont liked to be spammend duel me and after several declines some words like …………(guess what)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Toxe.5340

Toxe.5340

WoW-style arenas are the worst kind of PVP possible.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Johnson.3874

Johnson.3874

Although I don’t like duels, and I don’t like being spammed by request for duel from people who don’t even say hello, I understand that some people want that option, to test their builds, measure their strength (not to mention the size of their… sword), or simply pass the time while fighting (What about PvP then ? Yes, good question).

So here’s my suggestion : Maybe there should be a designated area in each town where duels are allowed, but not in the rest of the world. I see 2 advantages, and 2 downside to it.
1. Duels are limited to a precise area, and if you don’t like dueling, you can just stay out of that part of town, or on the opposite, if you like dueling, you know where to look for.
2. More people gathered inside town means livelier town (or chat), and thus more people available if you have a question / need help / want to form a party / etc…

3. First downside, there is a risk that towns get laggy, and that much people in the same place causes possible server issues.
4. What about the war effort ? In WvW, we need people, and if they prefer to duel rather than help their server, it might be an issue. If people who like duel also don’t like PvP, it might not be a problem, but I don’t think it’s the case.

I guess it should be given more thoughts, but here’s my contribution even though I don’t really feel the need for that option in the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

You would have hated the wild west >_>

in Suggestions

Posted by: Taihaku.8412

Taihaku.8412

Duels yes. Arenas no.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Simocrates.6958

Simocrates.6958

I agree there should be a duel feature, it would be easy enough to have a block duels box in the gameplay options. I don’t agree with WoW-style Arenas though. I assume you mean the concept more than how WoW has implemented their arena system which is quite broken and stale. Guild wars 2 has a tournament mode which I think would satisfy your lust for arena-style pvp.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

Excuse me but I too like to both participate in duels and watch other people duel. If you don’t feel like dueling, don’t duel. If you don’t feel like watching a duel, don’t watch, ignore it and go about your business.

What “behavior” is that? Aren’t you generalizing?

I give a huge plus for all these ideas – arenas and duels in PvE world.

in Suggestions

Raging Bull.5048

I agree there should be a duel feature, it would be easy enough to have a block duels box in the gameplay options. I don’t agree with WoW-style Arenas though. I assume you mean the concept more than how WoW has implemented their arena system which is quite broken and stale. Guild wars 2 has a tournament mode which I think would satisfy your lust for arena-style pvp.

Again, this is your PERSONAL flavor. I, again personally, don’t enjoy WvWvW. While tPvP is fine, I’d love 2v2 and 3v3 arenas as they’d be my favorite mode of PvP.

Why oppose variety? Not everyone must like same things as you do. There should be something for everyone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I don’t know about arenas, but dueling – sure.

1. Make the requests blockable. Problem solved if someone never wants to see one.
2. Limit the area you can fire one off. Maybe have a “sparring ground” in the cities – or none at all. Dueling could always happen in non-cities.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ned Wiki.4691

Ned Wiki.4691

I want dueling.

Dueling would be AMAZING for testing things to be used in PvP. I don’t care how they implement it. I want Dueling.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

I dont like that title, this game isn’t wow dont make it into it. Dualing is aweful hence why they put pvp interactions in seperate zones altogether. WvWvW could use some improvements but difficult to say how it could be better.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

I’d like to see duelling at some point. You could in GW1, why not in GW2?

Arenas can suck it, however.

in Suggestions

Searingarrow.4637

Are you all really too moronic to think of your own solutions to issues to the problems you are having without completely disabling it for people who enjoy dueling?

Heres a solution I thought of in 10 SECONDS. When you decline a duel you can have the option to block that person from duel requests for a set amount of time. Whether it be 5 minutes to forever… This could be changed from a tab in the friends list. You could also add a feature which would allow you to disable duel requests in the options. That way people who don’t like dueling will never be invited to one if they don’t want to.

Seriously. Don’t just say to remove it from the game just because you don’t like it. Other people do. One of my favorite pass times in WoW was watching people duel and dueling people myself. Use that thing called a brain that you are supposed to have and think of helpful suggestions that don’t screw people over… I’ll be very mad if arenanet doesn’t add dueling or makes it really stupid because of your selfish whining.

(edited by Searingarrow.4637)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nemo.6295

Nemo.6295

I guess many of you don’t know what impact Arena PVP had on WoW’s classes. And I’m not saying don’t add arenas, just don’t make them into the prime form of PVP, cause that will just ruin it for everyone.

in Suggestions

Searingarrow.4637

I guess many of you don’t know what impact Arena PVP had on WoW’s classes. And I’m not saying don’t add arenas, just don’t make them into the prime form of PVP, cause that will just ruin it for everyone.

If arenas were added they would be much like SPvP. It would have its own base stats and its own gear… so that way arena net could balance it stat wise without touching other aspects of the game… The skills themselves are pretty balanced in my opinion so there wouldn’t be any difficulty there. Even if there were they could balance those skills SPECIFICALLY for the arena instance without changing anything about the PvE world or SPvP.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

1. Make the requests blockable. Problem solved if someone never wants to see one.
2. Limit the area you can fire one off. Maybe have a “sparring ground” in the cities – or none at all. Dueling could always happen in non-cities.

I’m not a big dueler, but something like this would be agreeable. If there are sparring areas set up then people can either find it or avoid it easily. This way people that want to duel or want to watch the duels can do so, but people that want no part in it can just avoid the sparring areas altogether. Though I would go one step further and say implement sparring areas outside cities/towns as well, just to keep the field clearer for the actual PvE play.

There are plenty of instances of combat for entertainment in different zones and personal stories, but it seems to be more organized than just passing someone on the road and challenging them. That’s why marked, easy to find sparring areas would work both in and out of cities.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nemo.6295

Nemo.6295

If arenas were added they would be much like SPvP. It would have its own base stats and its own gear… so that way arena net could balance it stat wise without touching other aspects of the game… The skills themselves are pretty balanced in my opinion so there wouldn’t be any difficulty there. Even if there were they could balance those skills SPECIFICALLY for the arena instance without changing anything about the PvE world or SPvP.

Unfortuantely that’s not true. People are already complaining about other classes even with next to no basis (due to the fact that most PVP is so large-scale). Imagine the seas of tears in the PVP forums if arenas become a rewarded form of PVP.

in Suggestions

Searingarrow.4637

I’m not a big dueler, but something like this would be agreeable. If there are sparring areas set up then people can either find it or avoid it easily. This way people that want to duel or want to watch the duels can do so, but people that want no part in it can just avoid the sparring areas altogether. Though I would go one step further and say implement sparring areas outside cities/towns as well, just to keep the field clearer for the actual PvE play.

There are plenty of instances of combat for entertainment in different zones and personal stories, but it seems to be more organized than just passing someone on the road and challenging them. That’s why marked, easy to find sparring areas would work both in and out of cities.

Part of the fun of dueling is coming across someone anywhere on the map except major cities and dueling them there. It adds to the feel. I can’t really describe it well but I’m editting my original post now because of this. You could add a feature where you could disable duel requests all together so that people who don’t like dueling will never get invited to one.

in Suggestions

Raging Bull.5048

I’d like to see duelling at some point. You could in GW1, why not in GW2?

Arenas can suck it, however.

I would enjoy arenas. Having them in GW2 won’t hurt you as you can simply… Not play arenas?

It’s selfish to be against an additional option, an additional feature that can’t harm you in any way, while some might enjoy it immensely.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Delhart.7891

Delhart.7891

We need duels!

Let arenanet know your opinion

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aurorablue.5163

Aurorablue.5163

I don’t think we need duels. But Iam not against it as long as it is not available in PVE areas. As I’d get random idiots harassing me to duel in other MMO’s when all I wanted to do was quest or hunt for mats in peace.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Antediluvian.5169

Antediluvian.5169

Throughout the gaming experience we find many people that challenge you to a spar. It can be very easy for Anet to implement a ‘spar’-like duel system in the game without breaking the immersion. Arenas are also found but you fight monsters instead of people. But that could be corrected.

The important thing is that duel should not be commenced anywhere, as one could possibly be spammed by duel invitations he has no wish to partake in. Sparring areas, rings and even tournaments held in major cities like Divinity’s Reach are a good idea, as PvE wouldn’t be majorly disturbed by this. I hope Anet take this into consideration.

I can outrun a centaur.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mechasauce.1309

mechasauce.1309

I would like to see duels also. Me and my friend are itching to test each other out.

Giggity…

in Suggestions

Eochaidh.4106

I don’t think we need duels. But Iam not against it as long as it is not available in PVE areas. As I’d get random idiots harassing me to duel in other MMO’s when all I wanted to do was quest or hunt for mats in peace.

As you get idiots harassing you with party and guild invites. So should we have no guild/party systems because people have the option to randomly invite?

There is no point to duels if you can’t do it in PvE.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

@duel’s yes why not in pve to whats wrong with it just have a function to activate it.
@ Arena’s , what about two different types 3 vs 3 player teams and monster arena

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

in Suggestions

Posted by: importune.7120

importune.7120

I would like duels…I cant find a single downside. Aurorablue’s one issue, about being randomly requested to duel is hardly an argument. If you don’t want to duel, walk away. If there are some crazies that want to continuously spam people with duel requests, allow for a toggle to enable or disable duel requests per character.

SEE: D2LOD’s Hostile

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

I’ve been thinking about this since day 1.
Where is the duel request button??
As for players who say that it will break the immersion etc etc…yeah..
A duel in an MMO rpg really breaks the immersion,and the PvE experience, ‘cause otherwise there is no fighting and this is Hello Kitty.
Even NPCs duel with each other sometimes.
Duels don’t break immersion,on the contrary they make it even better.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yazmat.2785

Yazmat.2785

yeah why are so many opposing the idea of arena and duels wherein you could just ignore it if you dont want it.. we want more pvp activities because that is where we hone our competitiveness. dont be a killjoy..

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yazmat.2785

Yazmat.2785

DISABLE option for duel invites… JESUS CHRIST you people is treating this small problem like a game breaking idea…

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

First of all, we need NOTHING wow-style.

Once that’s deal with.

Duels would be a nice addition. As long as there’s something both parties have to agree with.

Once both agree, an imaginary ‘ring’ like the one that appears when capturing an area should appear (it should be big enough), and if anyone leaves the ring, the duel is canceled.

As for arenas… well… its not ready yet, but… have you heard of The Bane in the Black Citadel? I bet it’ll become an arena eventually. Much like the Norn keg brawls were added, Polymock, Moa races, bar brawls, The Bane and things like those should be eventually added too.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shyanmar.5936

Shyanmar.5936

I partially agree with the OP: Duels would definitely be adding something to the game, not only RP-wise but also generally (dueling a friend just for kitten and giggles is something I always liked in other MMOs). However, it definitely needs an option to auto-decline dueling invitations.

And WoW-Style arena PvP is an absolute no-go in my opinion. You want PvP with gear progression and the ability to gank low-lvl players? Play WvW. You want arena PvP? Play sPvP, but deal with the fact that your skill is all that matters, not your gear or level. WoW arena PvP is usually demanded by players who do not have the necessary skill for sPvP and get pwned all the time, but who love to win in a fight that’s unfair and imbalanced from the very beginning. Great job, guys, really.

Goteishi [Go] — Kodash [DE]