Weapon Suggestions for Future addition

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

Alright folks, bear in mind this may be a ways off, but i thought i would collect some ideas on weapon genres that could be added to the game. as well as what classes could use them,in what role, and even some skill suggestions on how.

I will also try to edit this post to show other weapon types suggested as well as popular ideas as to who and how it should be used.

To get things started i have been musing over some ideas at work since the game came out.

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in Suggestions

Teraphas.6210

Pole Arms this would be more along the lines of Halberds, Glaives, Pikes, or Naginata

Warrior Role: The weapon would serve the warrior to use its reach to knockdown his opponents and deal rapid fire blows. Possibly some bleeding attacks. Vulnerability from counter attack, using the weapon to capture the opponents strike and repoisite into a weakpoint
Guardian Role: These types of weapons have long been used as battlefield control to make space as well as dismount foes. Seeing as there are no mounted foes currently this could be extrapolated to be a knockdown block against an attacking foe. They could also have skills to maneuver their opponent where they want them. The guardian could also been seen to use the butt of the weapon to daze his opponents
Mesmer Role: While it may seem odd at first this weapon does offer many avenues of attack and feints that would appeal to the Mesmer while still providing them some breathing room. a more defensible weapon for holding their foes at bay, it is not inconceivable to see the Mesmer use it to vault out of a sticky situation and move to a more favorable local(likely leaving an illusion behind to be shattered)

Whips magic/technology could be applied to have them retract much like tigra’s whip of thundercat fame. would help deal with why the whip isn’t sprawled all over the place when the action dies down. Anet has made me hopeful with the whiplike skills already in game

Necromancer Role: Scourge, Cat o nine, bullwhips laced with bits of bones. These sound perfect for the Necro. Especially as the crack of the whip has long been used as a scare tactic or to bleed an opponent. Throw in a little death magic and you could see the Necro using the whip as a type of focus for a skill like Hangman’s Noose to immobilize and maybe even daze his target. While i would love to see it as a main weapon it is more likely to be an off hand only in the hands of the Necro.
Ranger Role: Three words; Dual wielding whips. Since recent movies the idea of a playable character that could dual wield whips is something i have longed to see. playing into the animal infused attacks we could see things like monkey tail to grab and pull/trip opponents. Or a scorpion attack to poison. Tying to the Pet you may also see some attacks that serve to distract the target allowing the pet a critical hit.
Thief Role: Indiana Jones and his whip swings are classic, and the mobility of the thief seems well suited. While there may not be handy points for the thief to swing traditionally, I am confident a thief could use their opponent as such a point. Possibly even using the momentum of this move to switch places. In the hands of a Thief i could see many an opponent landing on their backsides as their feet are pulled out from under them.

in Suggestions

Teraphas.6210

Chakrams this would also likely include wind and fire wheels It would remain to be seen if they would be implemented as a single weapon useable in either hand or as a pair for both hands

Elementalist Role: These bladed circles strike me as the perfect elemental focus for melee and short range attack as well as a potential long range charge attack. For the long range i see the Ele hovering the blades before them as they infuse them with energy when fully charged the attack would fly forth striking their foe(or aoe), I ,however, see this as a strong attack with a long charge(say 4-5 sec). While charging the Ele would get a new skill allowing them to abandon the charge for a local effect, possibly not even destructive in nature but instead a boon for themselves and nearby allies. An example; water attuned could send a Deluge flooding forth and damages and knocks down enemies between it and its target. the attack could be sacrificed for a local regen buff. While air attuned could summon a whirlwind that sucks nearby enemies in to damage them, it could be sacrificed for a swiftness or better a reflection boon.
Necromancer Role: A Circular weapon, perfect depiction of the cycle of life. I see the Necro using this a short range damage and support role. A channeled skill could cause an aoe that steals health from any opponent within and transfers it to any allies within. There could also be a mark skill that summons forth a minion to ensnare it. a multilimbed construct that would immobilize anyone near the mark.
Warrior Role: A whirlwind of death, I see this a berserker weapon. fast furious and bloody. Perhaps even a skill or two that deal extra damage if the target is suffering from Bleeding or other debuffs.

Greataxe though i would love a better name to avoid confusion with the current axe, just as they named one hand mace and two hand hammer. Ideally this would be more then just a bigger axe but one that combines blunt force with a bladed counter stroke

Engineer Role: While it may not make much sense at first there is long evidence of large axes being used in modern practical engineering field, mostly when you need to tear down something to clear way for something new. The weight plus the blade make it a multipurpose tool. A skill that lets you strike a nearby turret to activate an overdrive, or just destroy it for an added bonus.
Ranger Role: The ranger could be seen using this to fell big trees, or to just as easily fell a large beast. Knockback and charges would be the staple of this weapon

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shodan.7012

Shodan.7012

2h Axe comin’ 100% sure

in Suggestions

Teraphas.6210

Anyway this is just a short list of some possible ideas, I will continue to update this as i get more time and others post ideas that are popular. Saving this space for future expansion. Who knows maybe something we show will spark a future skill/weapon.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cele.5467

Cele.5467

I’m in I love pole arms, they just go perfect with shields, speaking of shields how about Towershields

Im a photographer, Visit my website :D http://cele-cam.deviantart.com/

in Suggestions

Teraphas.6210

towershields as in graphical or a two handed shield?

and not all polearms can be wielded one handed, could be interesting as a type but what would you call them to avoid confusion?

in Suggestions

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

I like the idea of physical whips, and I think they will be implemented, as the whip type animation exists on the elementalist and seems interesting.

If and when the whip comes, I am making a character named Simon Belmont.

in Suggestions

Teraphas.6210

I like the idea of physical whips, and I think they will be implemented, as the whip type animation exists on the elementalist and seems interesting.

If and when the whip comes, I am making a character named Simon Belmont.

make it now so you will have it claimed

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

I’m in I love pole arms, they just go perfect with shields, speaking of shields how about Towershields

I cringe, I really do. Sorry, Cele.

No. For one simple reason, alluded to in the Mesmer thread about harps. The vast majority of you do not have the faintest idea what you are talking about. Yes, fantasy; yes, magic; yes, technology.

Nevertheless, you’ve little conception of how real world physics & real world combat work, have you? A diet of Hollywood films (at best, for most of you) is not an indication of what it’s like to try to hit someone with a halberd, trust me. We already have a large variety of weapons in the world, all of which have their own unique skills. Why, barely out of release, are you so desperate already for more?

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square