When Will "Tiers" in Achievements Be Removed?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tintaglia.4762

Tintaglia.4762

I have never understood why the tiered system of achievements is used at all. By this, I’m speaking of an achievement requirement that once completed, dissolves into a larger requirement. Example: Tier One: 25 events, Tier Two: 50 events, Tier Three: 75 events, Tier Four: 100 events.

It’s incredibly frustrating to have to sleuth through the intentional obfuscation of Tiers to even determine what the actual requirement is. In order to see the total requirement, one must “track” the item, then mouseover the tracked item. There appears to be no way to browse the requirements and actually see at a glance what is required without using the clunky track-then-delete-track process.

Why are tiers even implemented? I’m trying to see Anet’s reasoning, but I can’t imagine any benefit to player motivation, success, or fun. If anything, it disappoints and frustrates the player when she realizes that she’s only completed a portion of what appeared to be the goal. Can someone help me understand the benefit of this system? Or has an Anet representative ever said they’re getting rid of this? I thought I’d seen an intention to remove it stated many months ago.

(edited by Tintaglia.4762)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

It would seem the only reason to implement this system is so the individual achievement can reward the player multiple times (with achievement points) based on the level of commitment the player is willing to invest.

For example, someone who is not entirely committed to the achievement may feel comfortable getting the first tier of the achievement, gaining their single point, and moving along, whereas a player looking for more of a challenge/reward can take the achievement to maximum completion. Any player within this spectrum of completion also has the opportunity to meet his or her personal goal.

Obviously this is can be accomplished by offering “checkpoints” along the way to the total, but I think the current method is a little more organized for players not interested in maximum completion.

Also, I could be totally wrong :p

in Suggestions

Tintaglia.4762

If lower tiers are rewarded, then it’s news to me, and I’ve been playing since Beta opened. This would then point to a problem of communicating this to the player. I hear a “ding” sometimes — but the display disappears so fast and doesn’t show up in chat, so I have no idea what I just achieved. Can anyone explain how this works?

It seems to me that most rewards sought by players, such as Daily or Monthly Achievements, titles, Living Story content etc. require all tiers to be completed. Why make those in tiers, if they expire within a short span?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

I thought each tier awarded an increasing number of achievement points? Such as a 1/3/5 scale?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

Each tier of an achievement rewards points. That is why we have tiers. Gnat you stated it correct. Some achievement points are different then you stated but that is the general idea of them. I currently like the tiered structure as I am getting points on my way to completing a achievement.

Hjorje

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fey Zeal.7032

Fey Zeal.7032

Never, because of what Gnat.9405 stated and maybe even more reasons.

in Suggestions

Posted by: gogoapoxy.1425

gogoapoxy.1425

With the new achievement UI, select an achievement, then hover over the tiers to see what is required for each tier. You can also hover over the AP value to see how many AP per tier.

As for removal of tiers, I’m against that as Tint Hjorje said.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

With the new achievement UI, select an achievement, then hover over the tiers to see what is required for each tier. You can also hover over the AP value to see how many AP per tier.

As for removal of tiers, I’m against that as Tint Hjorje said.

Also, if you select the achievement to display in the bar it will tell you the total points needed to complete, not for the next teir.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

Tintaglia.4762

My point still stands. I’ve hovered over every darn thing in the Achievement Screen and it does not show the total number needed to complete the highest tier (unless you’re already in the highest tier.) As before, you have to “watch” the achievement in order to get a mouseover with that information. It’s this clunky watch/unwatch rigamarole we have to go through to learn what is needed. This is especially a problem if you’re watching other things and doing this overwrites the items you really want to watch.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

For achievement point rewards. If the Slayer achievement only had 1 tier there would be a lot of people with zeros down the board, having not killed the 1000 that are needed. Instead, you kill 500 ghosts you get pts to award you for the next tier of personal achievement.

A person with 800 drakes killed has considerably more experience (and blood soaked armor) than one who has killed only 80. Yet in your tier-less system, neither would be awarded anything and both would be grouped together.

Tiered systems exist everywhere. It’s a tendency for us to give things order and rank. Should nobody in a company get paid except the CEO because 100% tier/rank hasn’t been achieved? No, everyone should get compensation for their accomplishments, being divided along the way until the ultimate tier.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

My point still stands. I’ve hovered over every darn thing in the Achievement Screen and it does not show the total number needed to complete the highest tier (unless you’re already in the highest tier.) As before, you have to “watch” the achievement in order to get a mouseover with that information. It’s this clunky watch/unwatch rigamarole we have to go through to learn what is needed. This is especially a problem if you’re watching other things and doing this overwrites the items you really want to watch.

Then, you’re doing it wrong. Step one, open achievment tab. Step two, find the achievements you’re interested in. Step three, select that achievement, taking you to the achievements individual page. Step four, hover mouse over teir description, not the big block.

This will give a breakdown of exactly how many teirs there are, and what the requirement for each teir is.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

in Suggestions

Tintaglia.4762

Looked again and found what you explained. I was seeing the point breakdown by tier, but missed the requirement breakdown.

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

Looked again and found what you explained. I was seeing the point breakdown by tier, but missed the requirement breakdown.

So are we content now, or still displeased.