When will duelling be added? (PvP)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Q:

So with all these upcoming updates as outlined in the new blogpost. Will there be any chance of a way to duel to be added?

It’s a great way to improve against other professions and builds not to mention that some builds are simply better for 1v1 play (My mantra build for example which is pretty underpowered in anything other than 1v1 and zergs maybe… please buff mantra builds!).

Basically I enjoy this kind of playstyle and was hoping it would be one of the upcoming updates. Trying to find an empty sPvP server is just not ideal and almost always gets interrupted by someone.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

They have taken a pretty strong stance that they will not implement dueling. I believe this adds to the ‘elite’ feel which would get in the way of being casual and friendly.

RIP in peace Robert

in Suggestions

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Like Ethics says. They still have that brawling thing with the transformations. Probably is as far as they go. Also, they strictly seperate the PvP world from the PvE world. People who want PvP clearly have to choose to do so by going to WvW. Imo, I don’t expect dueling, open world pvp or GvG.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

They have taken a pretty strong stance that they will not implement dueling. I believe this adds to the ‘elite’ feel which would get in the way of being casual and friendly.

Completely untrue

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Is-pvp-dead-You-decide/first#post807293

They’ve said several times that dueling is something they will likely add someday, but that because it wouldn’t be a mode supported with balance and design changes, it’s not a priority, especially when there are so many changes that need to be made to actual PvP.

What they have said is that they will never even consider open world PvP, also known PK or ‘gank’ PvP, basically what WoW has on their PvP servers.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ljiona.9142

Ljiona.9142

With server hopping, it should be easy to organize a duel.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

I am fully in support of dueling.

Balance doesn’t even have to be a factor. Like you said, Fay, it is a great way to improve against other professions an learn how to counter them – even if you don’t have a chance of winning due to 1v1 balance.

It is also fun finding epic places to duel and creating unofficial dueling spots.

One of my fondest memories of vanilla WoW was dueling outside Ironforge against my guildmates.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

in Suggestions

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

they will never even consider

Things change as time passes. If the outcry for world pvp is big enough, I’m sure they’ll listen to their fans and try to make it work. It’s in the hands of the players to rally for certain features to be implemented, and with how passionate PvPers generally are with their likes and dislikes, I can see open world dueling being something we(the majority of players) have to convince the devs of is going to be good for developing the community.

We’ll probably not get it this year, but as the list of core game issues shrinks with each passing month, development time is being freed up for introducing actual game enhancements. Be positive, but realistic.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

One thing people must learn the difference between is ‘’Will never be added.’’ and ‘’Not in this point of time.’’

ArenaNet never said they would never add a /duel option, but they said they got other stuff to add and fix before a duel option can be considered.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Things change as time passes. If the outcry for world pvp is big enough, I’m sure they’ll listen to their fans and try to make it work. It’s in the hands of the players to rally for certain features to be implemented, and with how passionate PvPers generally are with their likes and dislikes, I can see open world dueling being something we(the majority of players) have to convince the devs of is going to be good for developing the community.

We’ll probably not get it this year, but as the list of core game issues shrinks with each passing month, development time is being freed up for introducing actual game enhancements. Be positive, but realistic.

True, but I don’t think any of the developers, nor very many of the players (myself included) consider Gank PvP to be anything but detrimental to the games health, and the polar opposite of a positive gameplay enhancement.

On my list of things likely to be added to the game, it literally goes dead last. We’re more likely to have gear tiers added monthly or see Orcs as a playable race. And personally I like it that way.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Suggestions

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Dueling will likely be possible with the introduction of private servers for sPvP, as will GvG style matches.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

I am fully in support of dueling.

in Suggestions

Fay.2735

It’s just difficult to practice versus other professions and builds when you either outnumber your enemy or they outnumber you. To practice against them without having to go out of your way to find people of those professions and builds and find an empty sPvP server when another person comes in to ruin the practice duel.

For example as a mantra mesmer I need to time my CC’s perfectly against other professions abilities, it’s hard to learn when good players will use these abilities unless I practice directly against them first without distraction of other enemies pounding down on you 1vs4. The NPC in the mists are not a good way to practice this.

I’d understand if they don’t want to make it a competitive thing because the game is made for group play but I can’t see any harm in being able to practice your skills versus others directly and it would be fun as well + I feel some professions and builds are simply made for 1v1 rather than group play.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Arcanorum Ignis.9218

When will duelling be added?

Simple answer, never.

What the players want is very different to what ANet wants us to have.

What could be the problems with having a ‘duel arena’ of a sort where people could challenge each other to a 1v1 fight without interruption? IDK either.

The devs have lost touch…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Krimpton.4879

Krimpton.4879

Well if they introduce duelling lets hope they also introduce an extra report player function.
So those of us that don’t wish to participate can report the knuckle headed ‘’elitist’ PvP’ers, who will most likely run around spam challenging everyone they walk past to a duel to prove how ’’elite’’ they are.
And don’t say it won’t happen, every game i have played so far has had that problem, and it’s not something i want to be botherd by in game again.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I’d love to have open world PvP, where you right click and challenge a player. So long as there is an option to refuse all challenges, and so long as there is no way to grief players not interested in dueling. It would be a fun addition to the game and provide more options for players to keep themselves entertained.

In all MMO’s that I have played, that had dueling, it was clear that it is a very popular activity. And I have seen very little griefing because of it.

Open world dueling would allow players to set up some interesting matches too (think Jumping Puzzle Duel).

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

(edited by Rin.1046)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jue.6493

Jue.6493

Probably the closest thing to duelling you going to get any time soon is:

“the ability to host your own custom arenas to set up your own rules and host your own team practices”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/?utm_source=client

in Suggestions

Posted by: Krimpton.4879

Krimpton.4879

I’d love to have open world PvP, where you right click and challenge a player. So long as there is an option to refuse all challenges, and so long as there is no way to grief players not interested in dueling. It would be a fun addition to the game and provide more options for players to keep themselves entertained.

In all MMO’s that I have played, that had dueling, it was clear that it is a very popular activity. And I have seen very little griefing because of it.

Open world dueling would allow players to set up some interesting matches too (think Jumping Puzzle Duel).

Oh please.!!!!
You realy think a duel on a jumping puzzle is a good idea..?
What happens when another player comes along wishing to do that jumping puzzle only to find it covered in people dueling..
If you want to fight other players that much then go to WvW or sPvP
Go camp the jumping puzzle in WvW and have your duels there i hear its very popular.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

wtb guild hall pvp.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Oh please.!!!!
You realy think a duel on a jumping puzzle is a good idea..?
What happens when another player comes along wishing to do that jumping puzzle only to find it covered in people dueling..

That’s a good point. But that is not a reason to not add dueling. It just means it needs to be restricted to certain areas, which is what we will have when Anet adds custom servers. And I’m fine with that too.

If you want to fight other players that much then go to WvW or sPvP
Go camp the jumping puzzle in WvW and have your duels there i hear its very popular.

I do go there, but I go there for WvW not 1v1. But thanks for the suggestion.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

in Suggestions

Fay.2735

Probably the closest thing to duelling you going to get any time soon is:

“the ability to host your own custom arenas to set up your own rules and host your own team practices”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/?utm_source=client

Would that include an ability to do 1v1?