Why Facebook is a nuisance for game news

in Suggestions

Posted by: coffeemancer.2450

coffeemancer.2450

I wish Arenanet would start putting relevant game news and information on the game’s actual website. It wouldn’t take a wizard to create categories or tags for news posts on the website, and it would help people filter out things they don’t want to see, while allowing ALL of the players in this community to stay completely up to date.

As it is now, a bunch of game news and information is being posted on Facebook. This morning I found out that I can no longer even access facebook pages without a pop-up covering the screen and telling me to log-in. Usually all I have to do when this happens is refresh the page. But I refreshed numerous times today and it persisted.

Not everyone in this community is going to have facebook. And now that facebook has decided to become an exclusive service, I think this is a problem that should be corrected.

Video games have title screens. Please give us back the GW2 title screen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Steve.7926

Steve.7926

I never use fb, I avoid it like the plague it is.

tbh I’d rather take a blunt potato peeler to my face than use that site. ughh..

Yeah you’re right though. They use fb and reddit to post news, two places I personally will not visit. they should put the news here instead of some crap third party social site.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ostracize.8316

ostracize.8316

There is news? I always check the guild wars 2 website and the announcement forum. As far as I was aware, the last thing to happen was Mac client.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lani.1429

Lani.1429

I never trusted fb and will never use it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: delmarqo.5038

delmarqo.5038

Facebook is really more about outreach to potential new players. There’s a bunch of social metrics built into FB that shows correlation between the number of Likes and Mentions which potentially translate into actual marketing for them. Emphasis of course on “potential”

GW2.com is focused on the game and game forums, mostly relevant to people who either already know the brand or are already playing the game.

It would be nice to have a front page that had the kind of tagged messaging you’re talking about. But I imagine it’s not a priority for them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

You are right, they need to stop posting information on facebook while neglecting the forum. Bioware did the same thing with mass effect 3, instead of addressing the people using the official site they went through facebook and reddit.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ghoest.3945

Ghoest.3945

I dont have a faceboojk account.

The lack of news and updates from the devs is one of the reasons Im growing tired of this game.
It feels to me like they have almost no interest in the communicating with the player base.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

I dont have a faceboojk account.

The lack of news and updates from the devs is one of the reasons Im growing tired of this game.
It feels to me like they have almost no interest in the communicating with the player base.

It’s nothing new. They were the same way with GW1

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

in Suggestions

Posted by: Manifoldgodhead.2356

Manifoldgodhead.2356

I just got my first smart phone. I am now plugged into the Net constantly. My life has a soundtrack that I choose and I feed off information. I consume data relentlessly. I surf the trend waves on Twitter. I poke and pry at the pages on Facebook. I drop in and out of a variety of forums. Sometimes, I feel like I can almost see the thick clouds of data shimmering in the pale moonlight. Over here a broiling storm on Twitter and Facebook, it is election year. Waves of original information rise and crash against each other spinning everything around them. Up on the side the vortex of Reddit its tendril reaching out and pulling data into its endless swirl. And everywhere communities of pale digital faces collecting, dispersing and reforming relentlessly vomiting data into the maelstrom.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cod Eye.1632

Cod Eye.1632

I don’t use FB and have no intention to, but I do use Twitter, and has served me well for information. I’m not particularly a fan of social networks and don’t trust the owners with my personal information. I was a regular YouTube user and had a good list contributors on my favourite list, but with Google taking it over, I had to un-subscribe because they do insist that I sign into everything else they own, which irritates me to no end.

“Hey I swung a sword, Hey Hey I swung a sword again,”

“After several hours I’m still swinging this sword with1 lodestone drop”

in Suggestions

Posted by: orlen.7810

orlen.7810

@ delmarco[Facebook is really more about outreach to potential new players. There’s a bunch of social metrics built into FB that shows correlation between the number of Likes and Mentions which potentially translate into actual marketing for them. Emphasis of course on “potential”]

this here is mostly false, as has been proven many times now that most likes come from fake accounts for whatever reason(bbc news did a report on this not long ago and largely still stands to be true), facebook is a pain in the kitten for most people and others use it for all the wrong reasons.

facebook keep going on about how many accounts they have…i get it they think that matters, but sadly that doesn’t matter when there are few alternatives and so few even care about facebook, just how many of those accounts are active? just how many are actually real..and we all sit and wonder why they are doing so badly on the stock market…

but thats one view amoung many and doesn’t mean facebook is terrible…though it is the only place i’ve ever had online harrasment to which i resolved offline rather quickly, hiding behind a keyboard is the new form of abusive behaviour and it’s disgusting.

in Suggestions

Posted by: AndrewWaltfeld.4621

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

Facebook is cleverly programmed but at the same time, it’s much like Vista. As a programmer, it needs an hacksaw taken to it. I avoid it like the plague as well.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phaze Delta One.2834

Phaze Delta One.2834

You couldn’t pay me to use facebook or even go on the site. So if I miss out on something, I assure you, I wont loose any sleep over it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: orlen.7810

orlen.7810

Facebook is cleverly programmed but at the same time, it’s much like Vista. As a programmer, it needs an hacksaw taken to it. I avoid it like the plague as well.

thats harsh lol, vista wasn’t that bad. far better than people think, it got a bad rep because it was a hungry little swine and companies like dell/hp/compaq the list goes on sold them with insufficent hardware to do the job and thats their fault as they were told a long time before what the requirements were.

those that had at the time overpowered computers didn’t have any issues with vista, ran it for 5 years and not a single crash that i didn’t cause of my own stupidity.

in Suggestions

Posted by: AndrewWaltfeld.4621

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

thats harsh lol, vista wasn’t that bad. far better than people think, it got a bad rep because it was a hungry little swine and companies like dell/hp/compaq the list goes on sold them with insufficent hardware to do the job and thats their fault as they were told a long time before what the requirements were.

those that had at the time overpowered computers didn’t have any issues with vista, ran it for 5 years and not a single crash that i didn’t cause of my own stupidity.

No the problem of why vista was horrible was it’s complete lack of user control over security programs (UAC for example), it pinned you with bloatware kitten you didn’t want, and the companies like Dell and HP had to put it on machines that were low end because that’s what customers could afford. Microsoft made a product that was about 6 years too advance pretty much. Microsoft made the mistake – not the computer companies.

Also when most IT companies tosses your product out the window – you know it was kitten.

(edited by AndrewWaltfeld.4621)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

I’d like to see them either abandon all the social sites (Reddit, Twitter, etc..) or post all news and updates on the site as well. Currently, you need to pull out of the Indiana Jones hat and whip to find any relevant and new information.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

signed
for sure, i too avoid fb and will never use it nor any other site like it.
never even seen reddit and i do not use twitter,
whats the point of an ‘official forum’ if they dont even use it
mind you its not like this forum layout is even slightly user friendly.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nefaria.7659

Nefaria.7659

What I do, is subscribe to the RSS feed of the News & Announcements section of the forum!
If you go here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news
Then click the red symbol beside the “Create topic” link, you can add it to your RSS reader, given you use one.

Sadly, it seems the other social media sites end up with additional info and its dependent on ANet posting information here… but I have found this works decently for getting the news as I check my RSS feeds more often then Reddit/Facebook/Forum.

However, this is good for outages and update note listings only – I usually have to look through the Dev Tracker section to find up-and-coming stuff.

(edited by Nefaria.7659)

in Suggestions

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I don’t check my e-mail and I don’t use facebook, twitter, or what ever else is out now.

I check the news section of the official web sites for the games I play. If the news is not there it does not exist to me.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Noxu.7203

Noxu.7203

There’s always this crazy website you can go to that has news.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en

I might just be insane, or something, but just about every bit of news I’ve saw on Facebook is … right there.

There’s even a section labeled “News”, which… has news.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

At least they aren’t like some companies who use twitter and only twitter to relay news. But i use the wiki for gw2 news and whatnot.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sharpe.1485

Sharpe.1485

I don’t use Twitter, never even visited Reddit and I’d rather urinate broken glass than creating an account on Facebook.

And yes, it is quite annoying all these game companies are using the above to pass on information, especially if said information is never reported on the main website.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dicellol.4153

Dicellol.4153

The thing is, people who use these sites they post on heavily outweigh the minority that don’t.
They’re not going to stop posting on other sites because 15 people agree they shouldn’t on a thread. Either ask a mate who uses these sites whats going on or bite your tongue and get off your pedistool and sign up to the sites. Your account does not even have to be your name. You can make a facebook account called “Guild WarsFan” for all they care. I will drop a reminder that this is the 21st centruy and whether you like it or not this is the sort of stuff that is sticking around for many, many years to come.

Sea of Sorrows #1
Team Shatter [TS]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

youre missing the point altogether
social network websites have nothing to do with guild wars 2
i see it as lazy, someone thumbs their iphone on the drive home and theres your news.
no thankyou.
not all of us are into social networking on a ‘im a diva look at my whole life being recorded online’ level believe it or not.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Demosthene.2195

Demosthene.2195

You couldn’t pay me to use facebook or even go on the site. So if I miss out on something, I assure you, I wont loose any sleep over it.

All’s good until your potential employer blacklists you as a candidate on the grounds of not having FB account to spy on your personal metric for the last few years. Yes, companies do buy that information, since it’s property of Facebook, not the users of the service. People from HR department where I worked on 3-week practice spilled the beans. Not all details, obviously, but enough to stir your hair.

Apparently, privacy is a theoretical concept now, that belongs to academic books. Given how nearly all communication now is either digital or long-distance through any other means, it’s no wonder government agencies and corporations value information above anything else, especially when it’s so readily available. The cynic in me, they would be pretty stupid not to make use of that to their advantage over people.

(edited by Demosthene.2195)

in Suggestions

coffeemancer.2450

Your account does not even have to be your name. You can make a facebook account called “Guild WarsFan” for all they care.

Ignoring the rest of your fallacious and rude post, here is some real information for you to chew on;

Facebook has a “real person” policy. If your account does not represent a real person it’s deleted, and the userbase is encouraged to find and report such accounts. So no, you cannot make an account called “Guild WarsFan”

in Suggestions

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

My post got deleted because “it’s not relevant to this thread” and I have no clue why. What I said was:

“Anet cares about making sure that their articles are translated to other languages before publishing the article. They do this because they don’t want certain players, in this case, players from English speaking counties, to have an advantage over others (having better access to information).

But because they post most articles to Facebook instead of their website or the forum, they alienate many players who don’t use Facebook."

I don’t understand why this isnt relevant to the thread. It’s a big deal to me, and others players. I don’t think I said something that’s untrue?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

I don’t use FB either and don’t want to. I got a twitter account just for GW2 news and to spam them with tirades about things like bots and broken skill point challenges.

I want the news about this game to be on the game’s official site, not some 3rd party garbage that I don’t normally use and never want to use.

I think ANet has got a little better about this, but it’s still not where it should be.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

Facebook is a mess. I try to avoid it at all costs. If news is posted there, I will probably never see it.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raine Akrune.8416

Raine Akrune.8416

Facebook is an abused website used by Zucker to gather your personal info and make a profit, the sad thing is people let him do it. Is anyone honestly happy with the crummy updates they keep making to it? Why do businesses bother making pages for themselves there when it just seems so unprofessional?

I follow them on twitter since ANet doesn’t make their site the place to get the info. Tweet the deets, let FB die.

Asuran Master Thief/Charr Paladin Extraordinaire
Khan of The Burning Eden [TBE]
www.theburningeden.com

in Suggestions

coffeemancer.2450

Hopefully someone from Anet will see this and send it up to the team.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

As someone who has not, nor will ever, used facebook (or twitter for that matter) I couldn’t agree more. Will never understand the draw for either of those two things to be honest.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

Maybe it’s because I’m old, maybe because I’d rather not use yet another privacy invasive product than I absolutely have to, maybe it’s because I’m jaded after seeing “fads” come and go since being on the Internet since 1995…

I always felt the best place for information and news was the official website for a product. Feel free to post it elsewhere, but it should be on the official site first or at least at the same time.

I figure that if some bit of “exclusive” news is posted on a social (engineering) media site, some player will post it to the official forums.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

I will never use Facebook for the very reason you must enter your real info. Plus they ask for way too much personal info that is none of their business.

in Suggestions

coffeemancer.2450

Yeah, the first time I saw the “report” option for fake identities, i was shocked. It really is appalling.

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

I wouldn’t create a fb account unless Drew Barrymore was going to come to my house and help me do it.

This message was brought to you by a Kitten with a Keyboard

in Suggestions

Posted by: Branwin.4609

Branwin.4609

In all honesty, going to Facebook for GW2 news is the WORST, and it has nothing to do with ANet for me…. it’s all the crying whining players every time something goes wrong in-game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Weebitt.3157

Weebitt.3157

I use FB but none of the other sites like Twitter or Reddit, and it really grieves me that the Official GW2 website does not post its important information there. I want to be able to go the “official” site and get ALL the news about the game. Sure wish they would use their website to greater advantage and use all the other social websites as “out reach”.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Seriously, why have an official website if you aren’t going to post absolutely every scrap of information to it?
This entire website may as well be taken down if they are postign things to other places that aren’t here first.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zionka.6897

Zionka.6897

I agree, please add a section on forums for “latest news” other than patch notes or dev diaries or whatever. I hate FB, and Twitter too for that matter. Why do I have to go somewhere other than here to see what’s going on with a server crash or whatever?
An update on the login screen would be even better, where you put the news. Updating on those websites is fine and dandy, but would it be so hard to clue those of us who don’t use them, here?

The median age of FB users is 22… I bet median age of GW2 is higher, cater to us old fogies who don’t use the teenager social medias please, thanks!

~Jade Quarry Server~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Argee, hate fb and don`t use twitter. It`s ok to duplicate the news on those social sites, but only after all news/info/communications have been posted on the games Official web site.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vigilence.4902

Vigilence.4902

Agreed. I don’t use facebook, read reddit, or use twitter.

I shouldn’t feel forced to go to these various places for game updates and news because Anet wont post this stuff on their official website.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dicellol.4153

Dicellol.4153

Your account does not even have to be your name. You can make a facebook account called “Guild WarsFan” for all they care.

Ignoring the rest of your fallacious and rude post, here is some real information for you to chew on;

Facebook has a “real person” policy. If your account does not represent a real person it’s deleted, and the userbase is encouraged to find and report such accounts. So no, you cannot make an account called “Guild WarsFan”

Incorrect. There are numerous accounts i’ve seen with names that aren’t real people, hell i’ve even changed my name before. You can also put your name as any other name you like such as “John Smith” so don’t go trying that one on me cause there are many ways around it.
People are just too stubborn to see.

Sea of Sorrows #1
Team Shatter [TS]