Why does female gear *generally* look better?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Knightfall.8471

Knightfall.8471

I’m speaking mainly of the Vigil and Arah sets. The female versions look soooo much better. I would kill to have that shoulder/glove model on my human male warrior. I would actually have a reason to farm do Arah if I had that armor model.

I’ve also noticed that the Noblemans legs (CM Explorable Set) are bugged for males, but not for females. When running the front part between the legs moves awkwardly and the back skirtish part appears to bug out when you are running with a 2h.

I just wonder why? I don’t like to play the opposite sex in games, I like to relate to my character. But in my opinion the female armor always looks so much better.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cinder.4865

Cinder.4865

For the Vigil armour, at the very least, it’s all about the “buttskirt”, man. The one on the female Vigil armour is not only longer, but it also encompasses more of the waist. Heavy armour legs, in my opinion, look awkward without a “buttskirt” to add a bit more bulk.

And I don’t know if it holds true for you, but the reason a lot of heavy armour looks better on the female armour, to me, is the female’s sleeker form. Muscular is all well and good, but heavy armour always looks cooler on a slender, sleeker form. It’s why I played a femShep in Mass Effect.

Edit: The T3 Human cultural heavy armour is a good example of the above, really. The male’s set looks great — awesome, in fact! But the female’s is really fantastic thanks to the sleeker model.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Knightfall.8471

Knightfall.8471

Yeah man, I can agree with you on the slender form. For the male all you can be is super skinny.. For me it’s also that I generally like the female humans combat/unsheathed weapon idle animations. The male animations just look like they are off balance/don’t know what they are doing. I just wish for once an MMO would allow you to have a male with a sleek stature and animations that are the same as the females.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Beast.9516

Beast.9516

It’s the whole ongoing argument, female characters are sleek and beautiful and have large breasts, and men characters are bulky and awkward. I mean the Male Norn is fatter than I am, and I’m not a walmart cart jockey but I’m a good sized dude, I wouldn’t see me doing the thief acrobatics.

But hey it’s a fantasy world, if wanting women to be beautiful and have generous scoops of mouth watering flesh, is wrong, who wants to be right?

Beast [Beastess Isdottir][Meilikki Isdottir][Kaunista Illusio][Savant Bixxie]
Aspiring Brotherhood [PACT]
Fort Aspenwood

in Suggestions

Posted by: TottWriter.8591

TottWriter.8591

I actually prefer a lot of the male armour skins to the female ones. Personal taste I guess

To buy character slots or not to buy character slots. That is the test of my restraint.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

I prefer the male skins, because most of them are sensible.
I think a lot of people like the aesthetic of form-fitting female armor that brings out the female shape. But as a straight female, I have zero interest in looking at the female form. And out of personal preference, I prefer sensible over flashy on both genders.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Drake Brimstone.3706

Drake Brimstone.3706

It’s because females always look better then males… well at least to a strait guy they do :P

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nefaria.7659

Nefaria.7659

If you come down to the bare bones – it might be how they designed the gear to begin with. Certain artists have strengths when it comes to medium or subject matter, so maybe whoever they got to do the concept art for Gear X spent more time on the female set than they did male. This could be something that is unintentional or intentional if there was particular design constraints. For example, it could be that they try to make the male sets not as decorated as the female version in fear of making it too feminine.

Honestly, I feel that male characters get the short end of the stick in regards to gear most of the time. Due to the less curvy shape of their forms, and the conservative nature of the gear styles (much less skin showing), I think it stunts their designs to be much more boxy and generic. The female get a wider range of clothing styles to appeal to a larger audience.

Though, I think this issue is only with sylvari/norn/humans. The asura and charr use similar sets for both genders.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xhaiden.3891

Xhaiden.3891

I prefer the male armour overall. Female armour tends to be horribly impractical in the interests of sexing it up for the eyes of men. But that’s a problem that extends across the entire industry really.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sethren.8472

Sethren.8472

Sadly, I would have to agree that the old “sexual attraction” is to blame. People are people, and they are stuck in that old rut of “women get the good looking clothes; men get the practical, plain clothes.” I, personally, would love armor that accentuated a male’s physique because I find males much, much more attractive than females. Personal taste, of course. I just find it sad how females always get the “sexy” armor, and males always get the bulky armor. The option to do either would be ideal.

There are threads about how female toons should have more conservative armor choices. Well, males should have more suggestive armor choices. Not every player is a heterosexual male, ANet. Yes, they may be the statistically larger portion of the player base, but come on! Show the rest of us some love! Please? With a cherry on top?

Chimeras Family – Korvaseth (Mes), Sethren (Necro)
Sea of Sorrows

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

I, personally, would love armor that accentuated a male’s physique because I find males much, much more attractive than females

I actually find most light armor does this, but it still looks boring because ANet for reasons utterly unknown switched to the tired old “mage robes” aesthetic trope. Compare that to the dandy-esque male light designs for Mesmers in GW1, or the tribal/“revealing” look on Ritualists.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mesmer_armor
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ritualist_armor

in Suggestions

Posted by: AlienMagi.7102

AlienMagi.7102

Female armor looks generally better in YOUR opinion.

And what has this got to do with suggestions? Are you kidding me?