Why don't transmute stones allow us to look the way we want?

in Suggestions

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I played another game where you can transmute whatever gear and weapon to the skin you like. In that game warrior was the worst class out of all but in highest level area, you can find the place is flooded with WARRIORS… until you see their spells and they are actually MAGES…

So no, don’t like this idea, if a cha looks like a warrior, they should be a warrior.

You know what is more game breaking for me? Knowing one Trench Coat designer made all the medium armor in the world.

Here is a simple fact, ANet will make money if they sell these special transmute stones only on their cash shop. No one will quit over this no matter how they say they will.

The money ANet in turn will make additional game development possible.

(edited by illgot.1056)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Curlybaby.6258

Curlybaby.6258

Why does a game impose upon it’s players strict guidelines about what gear they should or should not wear. In other words, according to the game, it is an absolute impossibility that a ranger would ever opt for wearing heavier gear, for more protection, at the risk of foregoing wearing lighter gear and more mobility. Or for a warrior to opt to wear lighter gear for more mobility at the risk of foregoing heavier gear and more protection.

This is a choice that should be left for the player to make, not for the game to make for the player. By adopting this mindset, the game would allow for even greater variety in skill set ups, thereby making the game even more unpredictable and limiting the “FOTM cookie-cutter build” consequence that plague most MMOs. The goal of any game should be to give a player more options as to how they want to develop and play their classes, rather then limit them with absolute restrictions.

I know this thread speaks to only transmutting “costume” effects and not “statistics” effects, and as a last resort I would certainly be happy with this solution. But for the life of me I just can’t see why stats could not be transmuttable as well so long as the relevant penalty (heavy armor=slower/more protection, light armor=affords more speed/flexibilty/less protection etc) is imposed for wearing that armor.

We are not hamsters!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I really don’t like this idea. If you make a warrior or elementalist you gotta look like one. It’s not about PvP (although I understand the point) it’s about common sense. The gear we have is carefully crafted (no pun intended) to fit within the themes of the professions that can use them.

…sorry, you lost me there. Carefully crafted? Have you looked at the same armor sets i did? If you look at lot of the light armors, they don’t say “mage” to me anymore than a trenchcoat says “ranger” or “thief”. Heavier armors do fit the warrior and guardian images, that’s true, but then the iconic warrior archetypes are not restricted to knight types, and could easily be wearing medium armor. Or at least those that look reasonable (some don’t).

Basically, some (not all) of the heavy armor designs do not fit all of the classes, and there are stripperiffic female outfits that do not fit any classes at all. I don’t think that’s a reason enough to prohibit people from switching design styles between armor categories however.

More armor designs would be good as well, of course.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirevanac.3178

Sirevanac.3178

I think all the arguments are on the table, I just hope that a dev sees it and tell us their opinion about this. I love it, i’d make every character really unique

in Suggestions

Posted by: Razariel.5091

Razariel.5091

This is a great idea, and I would happily spend REAL money to obtain the look I want without restriction were there to be introduced a new transmutation method that would grant us the freedom to do so.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

The whole concept of transmutation stones is a little stinky, and certainly very much a money grab.

When I compare GW2’s appearance customisation to two other particular MMOs, it pales in comparison.
The two examples I’m thinking of are DCUO and AoC.
No matter what your stats in those games, you could change appearance at will, and changing that appearance didn’t involve permanently consuming the style you wanted.

In DCUO, you could end up unlocking thousands of styles that could be changed on the fly, and I would happily spend hours hunting down new looks and playing “Dress-up” with my characters. You could certainly pay real money for more appearance options, but unlike GW2’s rather stingy one-off system, that style could be used as many times as you liked on that character.

And in AoC, you would have two armour paper dolls; one showing the armour that your stats derived their bonuses from, the other displaying the cosmetic look you wanted to show. This allowed you to customise your look to your heart’s content, without consuming the original armours (both cosmetic and stat based). You could even revert to the basic armour appearance whenever you wanted at no extra cost. And yet again, dedicated cosmetic styles were available for cash, but wouldn’t be consumed in a one-off fashion.

GW2’s Fine Transmutation Stone system is incredibly stingy in comparison. It revolves around consuming armour and never allowing reversion to the original appearance, unless you want to spend even more money. Imagine if you accidentally transmute a piece of tier 3 armour so that it looks like a basic crafted piece?
No joy for you!
You have to buy the tier 3 piece all over again if you want that look AND buy a new Fine Transmutation Stone from the Gem store.

It comes to something when GW2’s system is actually WORSE than a F2P game’s.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

in Suggestions

Astralporing.1957

4. Restricting people to specific armour types based on their profession is backwards, redundant, unnecessary and a tired concept that I’d expect to see from an MMO in 2004 or something. If I were in a mesmer irl (lol!), why should I not be allowed to wear armour or trenchcoats just because some magical rule says I can’t because I’m a scholar?

Maybe its something to do with spellcasters having problems making their gestures while burdened by full plate armor. Warriors not being silly enough to wear a dressing gown into battle. Thieves realizing the futility of trying to stealth in metal armor?

Some of the “dressing gowns” are far more movement-restricting than plate armor. Only a small subset of warriors wear heavy armor. Trying to stealth in a heavy trenchcoat is exactly as futile as in metal armor.
So no, it has nothing to do with that at all.

Actions, not words.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Maybe in PVE, but in any sort of PVP format, no.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Battlemage.9450

Battlemage.9450

I can empathize with your concerns. Some of the light armor I’ve noticed looks like it should be medium since it seems to have a leathery appearance, but it’s difficult to find some skins to get the concept you’re trying to reflect for your character. Heck I had a hard enough time just trying to get my Necromancer to look like a D&D styled Lich instead of a Necromancer…ended up just getting the Corrupted Orrian armor, and buying some dyes to make it look my skull and body was gold and bejeweled.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

While I absolutely love the look of some of the heavy armor and I would absolutely love to give my elementalist draconic armor, or a robe to my warrior, I don’t think it would be a great idea. Instead, the art designers should just start giving us some real variety in the armor they make. Why does all light armor have to be robes? Why can’t something other than heavy look good on a char? Why can’t heavy armor have a more closed in skirt instead of open leg or a cape look?

in Suggestions

Posted by: bigtime.7410

bigtime.7410

I like that my Guardian is encased in gleaming mithril and isn’t lost among the plated necros and elementalists. That’s my only (selfish) concern. Death Knights… shudder

Instead, you’re lost among the other plate classes that look almost exactly the same as you.

By mixing armor styles, you open up a huge door for character customization, and really allow players to get creative with how they express their character’s appearance.

More options means less chances for your character to “get lost” amongst the other players.

And again, it’s purely for looks. There’s no advantage given to a necro putting on a plate-armor look, so why does everyone assume that ever cloth class is going to instantly switch to all heavy armor, and vice versa?

There is an advantage, some players have no sense of style and would hate to see Style Wars. Cosmetics are an advantage! Why do we deny it?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

This.

I would even say that this would be a big no-no for WvW. A huge part of learning in PvP is knowing what your opponent is at a glance.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: krlosis.2653

krlosis.2653

This is only a problem because there is like 10 total armor sets. Seriously, add more cosmetic options, but no, looks like adding non-cosmetic “Ascended” items is the only important thing right now.

6 dungeon armor sets, 1 karma set, 1 crafting set, and the lol-cultural armor.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Anela.3867

Anela.3867

I am all for anything that gives us a chance to look unique.

in Suggestions

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I am all for this.

Completely YES!

Guardians looks terrible with staff and scepter because of Heavy plate. I would do anything to change her to look like a holy mage or even a priest.

If WvW is a problem, then give us the option to turn all enemy armor to generic invader armor in our client that will save bandwidth and confusion.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

EQ2 does this in a way. Its has slots that let you wear for appearance purposes only types of armor over you normal quest/ world armor. You can wear anything as an appearance peice that would have less armor stats than what you would normally have.

So a plate wearer could use leather and cloth. A leather wearer could use cloth…but clothies were just stuck in cloth, unofrtunately. And then there was TP like gear that any class could wear.

My heavy armored classes always ran around in appearance pieces of leather and mail. I just like the look better. But for gaming purposes, they were actually wearing their good gear w/ all its stats.

Wouldn’t mind seeing something like that here as I really don’t care for a lot of the heavy plate armor looks. I like some of the chain stuff though.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

(edited by Raf.1078)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

Nope, not gonna happen.

Armour types is one of the defining points of professions. It’ll never change. Deal with it.

EU Aurora Glade

in Suggestions

Astralporing.1957

This.

I would even say that this would be a big no-no for WvW. A huge part of learning in PvP is knowing what your opponent is at a glance.

sPvP does not have Transmutation stones. It might be a problem in WvW… though to be honest i always identify opponents by the way they move around, their weapons and skills they use. Not by armor. Seriously, the differences between classes within armor bracket are too big to use their look as basis for identification.

Nope, not gonna happen.

Armour types is one of the defining points of professions. It’ll never change. Deal with it.

It’s rather dubious statement, seein as for example engineers, rangers and thieves look exactly the same. And i never considered trenchcoats to be their defining point (nor stripperific female outfits define mages, no matter how some people would like it to be so).

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Przemek.6835

Przemek.6835

I support this idea. Why do you care how others look like? The fun in this game comes from customizing our looks, dont ban people from this. Please. It changes, nothing in pve, nothing in pvp. Why?

Because more than one class is wearing light/medium/heavy armor, you don’t recognize people by their looks you recognize them by icon or abilities.
—————————————————————————————————————————————

Let us transmute items regardless of their item type please.

(edited by Przemek.6835)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I want T3 medium human pants on my mesmer soooo bad. The only good looking pants in this game and i can’t wear them on my main

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ExDead.3945

ExDead.3945

This same reason is literally why i cannot roll a warrior. I didn’t really want to roll the typical soldier looking plate wearing class but rather a bounty hunter type that uses a rifle…then i found out i couldn’t wear a long coat or fedora. Also i know this is an MMO but alot of people still play mmos as if it’s a standard roll playing game. What i mean is some people (myself included) come up with a concept and try to mold that concept into their game (ie: dual wield ranger or 2 handed guardian (warpriest, how kitten would it be running around in robes and plated gauntlets n such swinging that huge hammer).) This might not make for the most efficient char but i’m not a min/maxer really and am more into the class concept i was able to modify to my specific tastes. Where i’m going with this is if they lifted the restrictions for transutation we’d see ALOT more variety in they way everyone looks and make classes in general more interesting to look at and seem like they have a more defined roll inside this fantasy world.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jam.3258

Jam.3258

I prefer the distinction in visual appearance between the heavy, medium and light classes. I think a lot of people would like to see more variety in armor, but I don’t think being able to use light armor on a warrior, for example, is the way to go.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wreknar.5076

Wreknar.5076

Signed…

Seems to me that it would really only allow you to play mind games in PvP since this is merely a cosmetic request. TBH it would be a cool way to extend the personality of your character to look like a pirate (as a mesmer) or a death knight (as a necro). I see no harm in it.

Besides, in sPvP all armor types are normalized in value anyway, might as well extend that to PvX. It would only add about 300 armor to cloth if I recall correctly.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wreknar.5076

Wreknar.5076

This.

I disagree, I can dress up a scholar to look like an adventurer, and vice versa. In fact there are some cloth combinations that could very well pass for heavy armor. For that matter how do you identify an asura from a distance when the detail is so minute you won’t be able to tell until you either target them, or they use an ability you identify.

WvW 101 – Always identify your opponent by what weapon and abilities he is using, not what he looks like.

in Suggestions

Astralporing.1957

4. Restricting people to specific armour types based on their profession is backwards, redundant, unnecessary and a tired concept that I’d expect to see from an MMO in 2004 or something. If I were in a mesmer irl (lol!), why should I not be allowed to wear armour or trenchcoats just because some magical rule says I can’t because I’m a scholar?

Maybe its something to do with spellcasters having problems making their gestures while burdened by full plate armor. Warriors not being silly enough to wear a dressing gown into battle. Thieves realizing the futility of trying to stealth in metal armor?

Some of the “dressing gowns” are far more movement-restricting than plate armor. Only a small subset of warriors wear heavy armor. Trying to stealth in a heavy trenchcoat is exactly as futile as in metal armor.
So no, it has nothing to do with that at all.

Orly? You’re going to sit there with a straight face and tell me that trying to move silently in a leather trenchcoat is just as difficult as wearing full plate armor? Metal greaves make the same amount of noise as leather boots? Sheesh. People will go to any lengths to defend their argument.

Ar you going to sit there with a straight face telling me that a long trenchcoat is a good clothing for stealth in wildlands? And most of the heavy armor is not full plate. Chain or all the metal-on-leather versions might be actually better for sneaking than something that snags on the ground, bushes, branches etc. And of course some of the light armor would be even better.

So again – being able to sneak in it well is not a reason for why thieves have access to some armors but not to other. If that was the reason, thieves would not be wearing trenchcoats.
And the fact that rangers and engineers have access to the same group of armors makes your point moot anyway. The only common point of those three classes is the armor they wear, and only because it’s the result of an arbitrary decision.

Actions, not words.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

EQ2 does this in a way. Its has slots that let you wear for appearance purposes only types of armor over you normal quest/ world armor. You can wear anything as an appearance peice that would have less armor stats than what you would normally have.

So a plate wearer could use leather and cloth. A leather wearer could use cloth…but clothies were just stuck in cloth, unofrtunately. And then there was TP like gear that any class could wear.

My heavy armored classes always ran around in appearance pieces of leather and mail. I just like the look better. But for gaming purposes, they were actually wearing their good gear w/ all its stats.

Wouldn’t mind seeing something like that here as I really don’t care for a lot of the heavy plate armor looks. I like some of the chain stuff though.

Add to this, some of the “ceremonial” armors in that game, as well as All of the appearance sets they sell are “cloth” and wearable by all.

Stop pulling the real world rationalizations and reasons. It is a game, and more choice is always good. Particularly in areas of appearance, which is the most “fluffy” of all “fluff”.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

because it would seriously disturb the nannies who think it is their job to dictate how you enjoy the game. Unfortunately anet has been listening to them more than considering how to make it fun for the non-nannies. Welcome to MMOs, nothing has changed underneath, unfortunately.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It won’t happen for the same reason you can’t make characters look exactly how you want in customization. It ruins how the world looks to many players.

You want to look how you want to look and that’s fair enough. But Anet set limits on character creation so you couldn’t look ridiculous. Looking ridiculous would ruin the immersion of many people. As it is, I have to ignore half the names I see, because they’re ridiculous. But I can turn off names.

Anet is creating not just a game, but a virtual world. They’ve said it themselves. They’re in the business of world building. And in that world, casters wear light armor, because that’s the rules of the world. It’s not just about how you look, it’s about how other people see what’s going on in the world.

A lot of people don’t want to see mages in heavy armor, or warriors in cloth. It would be unsettling. Fantasy has certain acceptible sensibilities that make the world seem more real, and certain unacceptible ones. It’s acceptable for example, for a woman in armor to not cover most of her body and still get protection. It’s a normal part of the genre, whether we like it or not. It bothers some people, but it’s there.

But changing something like who can appear to wear what armor class will visually affect how the game looks. It would be incongruous within the rules of this virtual world.

Personal freedom is never going to trump the aesthetics of the game, because it’s not your game…it’s Anet’s. What you’re paying for is access to the world.

And it would completely screw over WvW, where half the game is quickly identifying the possible professions you’d be facing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

It won’t happen for the same reason you can’t make characters look exactly how you want in customization. It ruins how the world looks to many players.

You want to look how you want to look and that’s fair enough. But Anet set limits on character creation so you couldn’t look ridiculous. Looking ridiculous would ruin the immersion of many people. As it is, I have to ignore half the names I see, because they’re ridiculous. But I can turn off names.

Anet is creating not just a game, but a virtual world. They’ve said it themselves. They’re in the business of world building. And in that world, casters wear light armor, because that’s the rules of the world. It’s not just about how you look, it’s about how other people see what’s going on in the world.

A lot of people don’t want to see mages in heavy armor, or warriors in cloth. It would be unsettling. Fantasy has certain acceptible sensibilities that make the world seem more real, and certain unacceptible ones. It’s acceptable for example, for a woman in armor to not cover most of her body and still get protection. It’s a normal part of the genre, whether we like it or not. It bothers some people, but it’s there.

But changing something like who can appear to wear what armor class will visually affect how the game looks. It would be incongruous within the rules of this virtual world.

Personal freedom is never going to trump the aesthetics of the game, because it’s not your game…it’s Anet’s. What you’re paying for is access to the world.

And it would completely screw over WvW, where half the game is quickly identifying the possible professions you’d be facing.

simple reply. Quaggan Backpacks. Lolcats in bowlers. Riding brooms. All arguments re immersion, art, aesthetics fly out the window. Please..

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Profession consistency.

ANet wants all gear across all game modes to remain consistent so that when they finally get into the eSport scene, there’s no contradictions in appearances.

Having them consistent also means players can more easily learn the skills of other professions vicariously through observation in PvE and WvW.

An Elementalist running around in transmuted heavy armor would confuse the —-- out of newbies who have yet to, or just barely grasped the armor categories.

simple reply. Quaggan Backpacks. Lolcats in bowlers. Riding brooms. All arguments re immersion, art, aesthetics fly out the window. Please..

Anecdotal fallacy.

Those are isolated gem-store products. The broomstick has no combat value, and the other two are alone in that there aren’t other gem-store products to cover up the rest of your gear.

The aesthetics argument holds. Quaggan backpack is just the exception that proves the rule.

And no petty makeshift rebuttal is going to trump the fact we’re just parroting ANet’s viewpoints. We don’t “think” there’s no chance, we “know” there’s no chance and are simply explaining why.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

I know this is a 2 month old topic, but hey, my 2 cents.

Personally I think what weapons a class is carrying tells me more about my opponent than armor aesthetics.
If I’m not 100% sure, clicking on them solves any doubt.

Sure armor types narrows your vision just a lil. A greatsword user with heavy armor is either a war or a guard. Adding 2 to that isn’t going to make me think all that much more. A bow being weilded and I can’t tell what type, long or short? Oh yeah, the wolf traveling next to that person makes him a ranger. The fact that he was wearing the Duelist set, a set my thief often wears probably was the last thing I considered.

Besides, until you learn every set with more on the way…you never truly will know what a class is until you click on him or they perform an opener.

If transmuting were allow for skin swaps between the armor types, I’m willing to bet it would take no time at all for pvpers like myself to adapt. It’s what we do, hell, it’s what humans do.

A recent game that I played last year did this pretty well amongst all of its blunders. SWTOR. I was there from launch until roughly mid May. That game had something called social armor, a form of its orange moddable armor. This armor was an empty shell that when worn would scale to your classes armor rating, this didn’t happen at launch perfectly as all social armor was deemed light armor for some reason, but it was later fixed.

Infact, any class could wear w/e regular and moddable armor they wanted with some penalties early on of which I think may have done away with. Meaning, at launch, my heavy armor wearing juggernaut (warrior type) could wear what clothies were wearing at a penalty to armor rating. I think they were leaning towards having armor scale to a classes armor rating though by the time I left which would allow classes to wear w/e they want.

Honestly, I think this sort of thing actually promotes replayability, longevity and ofc individuality. These things build morale amongst the community.

(edited by Akari Storm.6809)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fairymore.8609

Fairymore.8609

The same arguments every time, every popular mmo. This topic has gone on so many times it makes me realize i have been playing these games for a years and years.

To the Devs:
What is being asked for is the freedom to create unique looks for our characters with the resources the game already provides. Allow us a way to use the look(not stats) of any armor (light, medium, heavy) on our characters and i promise we will impress you. We will create outfits that will astound your most talented artists and maybe even inspire them.

To those that are opposed:
Your objections and arguments are not unique, nor original.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/981899278
This is a link to an old WoW thread called “The Appearance Tab” where the same objections are being given. The time stamp says 2010 but it started long before WoW remade their forums and multiple threads were made with each containing 500 posts
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2228176043?page=26
Finally the devs of that game came to their senses and allowed players to customize their avatar’s appearance. Now they are moving forward and removing restrictions on weapon types (as long as two weapons share the same animation, for example axes and swords, you can now have an axe look like a sword). I see this as the same as our situation here on this thread.

Lastly i would like to direct you to one of my most favorite fan made sites called Cosmetic Lotro where a very talented fan creates very well made outfits from the game Lord of the Rings Online.
http://cosmeticlotro.wordpress.com/
In this game there is a tool that allows any class to cosmetically wear any kind of armor they want. Did the game implode? No. What happen instead was that fans began to create the most amazing combinations of gear and several blogs emerged forming a sub community to this game. I hold Lotro’s Cosmetic Tab to be the absolute best at what it does.
Do not be afraid of how this will destroy your experience in the game. Rather let yourself imagine what YOU will be able to do when this is implemented.

in Suggestions

Akari Storm.6809

Profession consistency.

ANet wants all gear across all game modes to remain consistent so that when they finally get into the eSport scene, there’s no contradictions in appearances.

Having them consistent also means players can more easily learn the skills of other professions vicariously through observation in PvE and WvW.

An Elementalist running around in transmuted heavy armor would confuse the —-- out of newbies who have yet to, or just barely grasped the armor categories.

Anecdotal fallacy.

Those are isolated gem-store products. The broomstick has no combat value, and the other two are alone in that there aren’t other gem-store products to cover up the rest of your gear.

The aesthetics argument holds. Quaggan backpack is just the exception that proves the rule.

And no petty makeshift rebuttal is going to trump the fact we’re just parroting ANet’s viewpoints. We don’t “think” there’s no chance, we “know” there’s no chance and are simply explaining why.

You can’t say “we Know there’s no chance”. This is what many would call an everchanging, evolving game type. This game type (the MMO), usually recieves hundreds if not thousands of updates in ones lifespan. Tommorrow the devs could easily say " We thought it over and bam, here you are, have fun kiddies". Even if it’s something that was thrown out the window and said never would happen by devs. Minds change everyday.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

My guess is there are three main meshes for each armor piece: heavy, medium, and light.

The various heavy armors are skins for that mesh. That’s why you can take Heavy Headpiece A and transmute it onto Heavy Headpiece B. Because it’s just the same mesh.

You can’t take the skin for one mesh and simply put it on a completely different mesh. Animations and where things would clip would be different. Now if you want your heavy armor to flow like the light armor and defy physics…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

while I would love to dress my guardian up to look like a white mage, I think being able to transmute between heavey, medium, and light will make it far to confusing to guess a character’s class from a glance

Oceanic [LOD]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

the only games that has “allowed” this that i remember from the top of my head has been the dnd Neverwinter Nights and most likely Neverwinter Nights 2, where all classes could wear most armors with a few rule exceptions, but usually it would come at a cost.

Here, I’ll help you out with a few more:

Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest 2, Secret World(though they don’t really have specific armor classes that I can recall), City of Heroes/Villains.

There’s just a couple big names that allow you to have your character look however you’d like. Can we all stop with this: “It’d ruin everything!” argument? Because it works fine in those other games.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

Because clothies running around in heavy armor skins looks really stupid

“Death Knight” necromancer… no thanks.

There have to be some checks to keep the fashion challenged masses from wearing stuff that makes no sense and making a mess out of the themes.

I’m very grateful this will never happen.

next thread

(edited by Chickenshoes.6250)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

but it’s not a win on all fronts, i dont want Guardians n Warriors running around in cloth whilst Necromancers run around in full armour declaring themselves a DeathKnight.

Guardians/Warriors run around with less armor than light/medium though with stuff like seraph-issued, gladiator and etc that don’t even consist of metal armor.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

because the philosophy on armor which mages must wear robes and knights plate…because apparently the mage has harder skin and the knight softer…

not really, in other game you can pick any type of armor you want…the difference is the bonus it will give, robes will give you extra casting speed while plate more pdef.

so at the end is because the traditional philosophy of mages must wear robe, assasins leather and knights plate which comes from movies, books, stories, games, etc

I took an arrow to the knee

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

If you like the look of heay armor then make a warrior/guardian…..
completely uneeded.
each class has a unique apearance thats what the games about, not letting you play dress up.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

in the voice of “comic book guy”: WORST..IDEA..EVER!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i would like it (referring to the OP here)…

and btw warriors and guardian perform movements more complex than an elementalist summoning a fire storm… so if the movement thing should be what we have for making sense…

as a matter of fact in lotro you actually could cross dress some outfits, but nobody did it, at least in my server.

so if mage have to wear robe because in your mind that is the only way a mage can be, why can’t a mage wear trousers? i wish i could!! i’m talking about the fact that no matter how do i gear myself all i can see from behind my character (that’s pretty much 99% of time) is at best a tuxedo tail…. at worst a very bad shaped kitten mantle!
and why a female toon in a babydoll or in underwear fits better the idea of a mage instead of one that looks like a corsair?
a pirate outfit isn’t clothes? and why wearing leather pants should block your magical powers?
i guess thieves that stealth in full plate still remain an issue, but guess what they don’t stealth, they go invisible, they disappear in thin air while you are looking at them with no even a smoke bomb to concieve them… so are they mage and should wear gowns and underwear like the rest of us?

and finally why the hell a trenchcoat make me the new willem tell? how can it be a comfortable outfit in any battle?

as for the wvw confusion… seriously? in a 1v1 (the only time you have actually the chance to guess who you are targeting) is so difficoult to see that the guy with 3 clones of himself not wearing a skirt is a mesmer? oh maybe you missed the pink beam!

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xovian.8572

Xovian.8572

I find the arguments against this amusing.

-PvE, no one cares. Immersion? Have you seen some of the freaking names in this game? Really? Clipping, I’ve been able to see a line on my stomach since beta weekend 1. I still can depending on what I’m wearing…clipping, it happens sometimes.

-WvW, people obviously haven’t realized players are already set as a default look for opposing team members, this change would have absolutely NO effect for opponents. Friendlies are able to see the armor difference which can already be toggled on or off. A null argument here, since its a toggle for friendlies, and enemies don’t know the difference anyways.

-sPvP, the limitations of what you can wear here since anything you get has to be unlocked by drop or by mystic forge, might actually be a marked improvement. The answer here, make it like WvW, opponents are a set graphic based on profession. Done. The codes already there, so that excuse is out.

The biggest question this thread really raises, is why do people care what other players look like so much? Control freak much? The “death knight” comments are great examples of it. Why do you care what someone else’s necromancer looks like? Does it hurt you, did it still your birthday away from you? Not really something I would make, but since i wouldn’t, i really don’t see how it would effect me. People have to find something to complain about i guess.

The problem when everyone is a special snowflake, you clump them all together and they become a big pile of crap that needs to be shoveled out of the drive way. So I guess if that’s a persons philosophy, at least we know where they are coming from.

I know my post came off condescending, but really I just find it annoying that people seem to argue just for the sake of arguing when it really serves no purpose.

(edited by Xovian.8572)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faze.6948

Faze.6948

I’m with the OP on this and I’m glad Amadan gave LoTRO a mention as an example of an MMO with no cosmetic restrictions – a notorious gear grinder which somewhat ironically probably has more players chasing the rare cosmetics over the BiS gear. (Just Google lotro cosmetics to see the number of blogs dedicated to the subject.)

Firstly in GW2 the stats on the armour play a much more important role statistically than the AR itself, so the argument that heavies should look like they can soak up the damage for immersion sake is already invalid.

In LoTRO a male elf guardian can quite cheerfully wear a dress into battle without any restrictions. No. of cross-dressing male elf tanks I’ve seen in-game in two years: 1.
No. of players I’ve seen create a really good, and unique, look by mixing and matching pieces with a considered use of dyes: hundreds.

Any MMO that doesn’t enforce lore valid names is already on thin ice when it comes to immersion. If I run into a doughty warrior named Sparkles McShinytoes then it might as well be a Norn in a pink tutu and a feather headdress, because full plate (probably dyed bright purple with turqoise accents) simply won’t put the cheese back on the cracker.

Multiple cosmetic slots with no restriction on their use give ppl other than the min-maxers a really good reason to chase that rare item.

in Suggestions

Akari Storm.6809

I’m with the OP on this and I’m glad Amadan gave LoTRO a mention as an example of an MMO with no cosmetic restrictions – a notorious gear grinder which somewhat ironically probably has more players chasing the rare cosmetics over the BiS gear. (Just Google lotro cosmetics to see the number of blogs dedicated to the subject.)

Firstly in GW2 the stats on the armour play a much more important role statistically than the AR itself, so the argument that heavies should look like they can soak up the damage for immersion sake is already invalid.

In LoTRO a male elf guardian can quite cheerfully wear a dress into battle without any restrictions. No. of cross-dressing male elf tanks I’ve seen in-game in two years: 1.
No. of players I’ve seen create a really good, and unique, look by mixing and matching pieces with a considered use of dyes: hundreds.

Any MMO that doesn’t enforce lore valid names is already on thin ice when it comes to immersion. If I run into a doughty warrior named Sparkles McShinytoes then it might as well be a Norn in a pink tutu and a feather headdress, because full plate (probably dyed bright purple with turqoise accents) simply won’t put the cheese back on the cracker.

Multiple cosmetic slots with no restriction on their use give ppl other than the min-maxers a really good reason to chase that rare item.

hey now, my blue/purple skinned sylvari has evening rose (purple enough) armor w/skyblueish accents (I considered turqoise or sea breeze or w/e). I feel like im in a whimsical fantasy world.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MeateaW.3519

MeateaW.3519

Armor sets have to match?

Try putting on the CoF heavy pants on any set of heavy armor that isnt CoF

More often than not it looks like clown pants. You ever get to see a bit of naked belly.

(I actually had to wait till I had 600+ tokens so I could buy both chest and pants at the same time it looked so bad).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cushnahan.7058

Cushnahan.7058

Totally support the OP here, as it is really stupid not to be able to wear all kinds of armor. It limits the game, is one thing.

The other is: To all the people who QQ about “It would ruin the game if an ele wore heavy armor”- What? Is your fun in the game dependent on someone else’s armor? You better quit right away. Does it bother you so much that someone else wants to be a knight while still casting? Why don’t you find another group then? You’re not forced to gear your ele with heavy/medium armor. But what you are forced to is gearing your ele with light armor. Enjoy the restriction.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

I think this is a great idea and I would love to be able to use some of the heavy and light armor skins on my ranger!

I personally don’t find many of the medium armor skins all that impressive, and only have like 2 sets of armor that I really like the looks of, but if I could mix some light and heavy armor with that medium armor I could make some really awesome looking combinations.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

ranged fighters wearing something that looks like armour is ridiculous?

i find it ridiculous that we are expected to run around in the middle of a raging battle wearing something that wouldn’t look out of place queued up outside an essex nightclub.

in Suggestions

Akari Storm.6809

ranged fighters wearing something that looks like armour is ridiculous?

i find it ridiculous that we are expected to run around in the middle of a raging battle wearing something that wouldn’t look out of place queued up outside an essex nightclub.

Ele elementalist Obsidian Armor from Guild Wars. Imo, not a far stretch to donning some heavier looking armor.

Let’s be real, I can create two identical human players. The only difference between the two is that I can cast spells with one. Hmm, even d/d eles play around in melee range, Mesmers melee with sword MH, necros, well you get the picture. Everyone is in range anyway. Theres no frontline, midline, backline here since there’s no true trinity.

Attachments: