Wings and flying~

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I’m So gonna get the “ur a dumb” posts for this but I suggest wings <3

Not stupidly huge ones that get in peoples ways, but a decent sized back item, maybe even detached wings that kind of float behind you but still add the the effect <3, I’m sure RPers would love that sort of thing as well.

Or a class related flight mechanic like Engies get backpacks, Ele’s levitate, Mesmer’s get purple crystal shard like wings. and using under water combat mechanics (obviously PvE only and in certain areas that wont making jumping puzzles and vistas redundant)

To the eventual:

“Go play Aion Noob”
I have, kinda bored me. But the wings were sexy. <3

Suggesting Ariel combat may be a bit much but a simple back item would be pretty awesome, bet it’d sell like hot cakes in the gem store. (not town clothes only please >>)

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

to have wings as a cosmetic town clothes I don’t care if they are there or not, and to the people that say something stupid like go play Aion for that I say get over it.
So +1 for that

Although Having wings in the game to make you fly I give you a -100 Flying has no place in this game period IMHO I understand you like the concept but it is a concept that can be abused and what not, no no no on flying.

In closing it sounds like your more interested in the cosmetic look than an application of it so.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

No, no no.

The game currently has no aerial aspect to it. Either they would have to add all of it, which means designing tons of new mobs for every single area in the game, or you would be left with wings that would break the game by allowing players to skip content by flying over it in full safety.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

to have wings as a cosmetic town clothes I don’t care if they are there or not, and to the people that say something stupid like go play Aion for that I say get over it.
So +1 for that

Although Having wings in the game to make you fly I give you a -100 Flying has no place in this game period IMHO I understand you like the concept but it is a concept that can be abused and what not, no no no on flying.

In closing it sounds like your more interested in the cosmetic look than an application of it so.

It is true I am more into the cosmetic.

someone on vent mentioned “Engie jet packs” and it make me go “HELL’S YEAH!” and decided to post relating to the sentiment. flying was more of a half baked proposal.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

Yeah I have no problem with them adding a cosmetic back piece for town clothes or even a jet pack that allows you to fly 10 feet in the air for 5 seconds as a lil added bonus, that is purely for looks and fun. Somewhat like the witches boom allows you to zoom around. Although like I said a fly application in the actual world is a definite no, personally I wouldn’t purchase the wings/ jet pack but that doesn’t mean other players wont.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rei Hino.5961

Rei Hino.5961

lol then they would have to make Surface to air missles in wvw…that was the only thing really that crossed my mind thinking about that. Although Cosmeticaly Wings would be preatty although there is a light armer wing set already. http://www.ign.com/wikis/guild-wars-2/Winged. Although that would fit in with another thread about Cape attachments as well. Cosmetically it’s a god idea but if you was to add wings then the next thing people would be like asking to fly. Witch has been covered I see by the other posters But Cosmetically Yes it’s a nice idea I think anyway. Butterfly wings ect.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

lol then they would have to make Surface to air missles in wvw…that was the only thing really that crossed my mind thinking about that. Although Cosmeticaly Wings would be preatty although there is a light armer wing set already. http://www.ign.com/wikis/guild-wars-2/Winged. Although that would fit in with another thread about Cape attachments as well. Cosmetically it’s a god idea but if you was to add wings then the next thing people would be like asking to fly. Witch has been covered I see by the other posters But Cosmetically Yes it’s a nice idea I think anyway. Butterfly wings ect.

No matter what Arena Net does people will always ask for more, not that I am a supporter of it but if they add mounts then people will ask for flying mounts and if they add flying mounts people will ask for combat mounts ect ect I mean people will always be greedy and ask for more. Thank God Arena Net has been really good at saying no.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

There are several winged creatures within the world. I dont have trouble killing them when they decide I would taste good. Good suggestion. Would be epic if you could float around

btw since the engine supports it look at underwater combat. Flying wouldnt be much of a change. Im not saying it would fit in with 99% of the world but specific areas where its a break from the norm sure would be cool.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

(edited by Lutharr.1035)

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Late For Tea.1846

Late For Tea.1846

Wings don’t fit in the GW2 world in my opinion. If you’re talking about your typical feathers/demon wings, they look cheap and fake. Tyria doesn’t have the kind of magic that lets you take on (parts of) the form of a monster or animal. Thus, these kind of wings would just look like some cash shop item instead of an item that could actually have been part of the world you’re trying to immerse in.

If you’re talking about more fabric wings, which should be part of the armor or costume you’re wearing, I don’t see the need for it. Cosmetic wings have no benefit for an adventurer or soldier (If you’re going to mention other armor “add-ons” like spikes, those can have an intimidating effect and don’t hinder the wearer unlike 2 pieces of metal plating sticking from the back. Or they function as cultural design).
I’ve also never seen any citizens of Tyria wearing wings as part of their clothing/costume, nor seen any signs of them being interested in that sort of stuff.

To me, adding wings will only make it more difficult to immerse into the world, and make it feel too much like a 3rd rate MMO game who’s devs only care about milking the kitten out of the game with a horrible cash shop.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hellissane.3041

Hellissane.3041

Wings and floating as cosmetic effects, hell yes. We already have the witch floating broom already, also . But flying as mechanic – no.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

Get the Orrian Light Mantle from the dungeon, it’s the closest you’ll get to wings, ever.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nashaan.3160

Nashaan.3160

Town clothes, sure .. if that is what floats your boat. Personally that is too much like Aion for my taste. Adventuring/ combat with wings? No, no, no, no, no!

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Lutharr.1035

i wanna play a boba fett engineer!

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

Wings don’t fit in the GW2 world in my opinion. If you’re talking about your typical feathers/demon wings, they look cheap and fake. Tyria doesn’t have the kind of magic that lets you take on (parts of) the form of a monster or animal. Thus, these kind of wings would just look like some cash shop item instead of an item that could actually have been part of the world you’re trying to immerse in.

If you’re talking about more fabric wings, which should be part of the armor or costume you’re wearing, I don’t see the need for it. Cosmetic wings have no benefit for an adventurer or soldier (If you’re going to mention other armor “add-ons” like spikes, those can have an intimidating effect and don’t hinder the wearer unlike 2 pieces of metal plating sticking from the back. Or they function as cultural design).
I’ve also never seen any citizens of Tyria wearing wings as part of their clothing/costume, nor seen any signs of them being interested in that sort of stuff.

To me, adding wings will only make it more difficult to immerse into the world, and make it feel too much like a 3rd rate MMO game who’s devs only care about milking the kitten out of the game with a horrible cash shop.

To say they have no place is silly no offense, Wings of that sort have no place in our world by that thought process and yet people wear them cause they like them. There are winged demon creatures and feathered winged creatures in Tyria so to say they have no place is somewhat silly.

I respect the fact that people what Immersion but I am getting sick of seeing that as the go to excuse for someones dis like to something. Then to say that a solider or a adventure wouldn’t have anything like this is also somewhat silly as regardless of what they do, doesn’t take away from the fact that they can have lives outside of that.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Late For Tea.1846

To say they have no place is silly no offense, Wings of that sort have no place in our world by that thought process and yet people wear them cause they like them.

We, in the real world, don’t wear wings in daily life (I hope). We only wear them at special events or parties, like carnival. I have yet to see such an event in Tyria. Do you go to work or school wearing wings, or maybe when you go shopping? I don’t think so.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

My stance on this is the same as for mounts or flying mounts.

One of the conditions that has to be present is:

• Only when you have 100% exploration completed on that particular character

That way, things like bypassing Jump Puzzles ain’t so big a deal.
And I mean all exploration aspects. Even those non-vista jump puzzles, end-chest and everything, so that you’ve proven you’ve done it all.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

I’m sorry but:

“Go back to Aion.”

Aerial exploration/combat is not for Guild Wars.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Late For Tea.1846

One of the conditions that has to be present is:

• Only when you have 100% exploration completed on that particular character

Restricting it to characters who completed all Jumping Puzzles and have World Completion would leave you with such a small population that it’s basically a waste of time to design such a thing for just a few players.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Restricting it to characters who completed all Jumping Puzzles and have World Completion would leave you with such a small population that it’s basically a waste of time to design such a thing for just a few players.

Exactly the point. I want flying to be this epic end-game reward that only the players who’ve completely explored everything get. (And no – I have not done this myself.)

Wings should be a gate-way to see the game from a whole new angle after you’ve already “seen it all”, not some commodity that every one can buy or earn on a whim.

If wings come to GW2, people should be surprised and impressed when they see someone with wings. Some going “Wow, good job” or “Holy —--, an angel!”
Not like some other games where wings or flying mounts are everywhere

And saying it’s a waste of time is like saying Legendaries are a waste of time. All shiny graphics for something only a small population of players have acquired.
It’s not a waste – It’s a good long-term goal for players to set their sights on.

Right now, the only reward for completed exploration is that star on your name, which you can’t even see because no one can see their own display name. Exploration deserves that “Wow, this is awesome, and I totally deserve it” reward.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Late For Tea.1846

Exactly the point. I want flying to be this epic end-game reward that only the players who’ve completely explored everything get. (And no – I have not done this myself.)

If wings come to GW2, people should be surprised and impressed when they see someone with wings. Some going “Wow, good job” or “Holy —--, an angel!”
Not like some other games where wings or flying mounts are everywhere

Good job on what? Asking a mesmer to portal you up to a Jumping Puzzle?

This game seems to focus more on technology and science (Charr, Asura, Dredge) rather than magic. Fighting dragons is done with cannons, rather than meteor showers from a bunch of mages. Most of the obstacles in Orr are handled through tech, not magic.

It would be more likely to see some kind of car-vehicle (which the Charr already have) than wings.

(edited by Late For Tea.1846)

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fatfox.4915

Fatfox.4915

I’d like the cosmetic items as I’ve yet to find a back piece that I like and it’s a case of ‘if you don’t like them, don’t get them’. I think a charr with wings, especially butterfly ones would be highly amusing along with their princess wand XD

I think the full flying mechanic is a bit far, as GW doesn’t really feature major flying aspects. From what I’ve seen, attacks mainly come from boats and are not aerial and the creatures that do have wings (aside from big beasties) don’t really fly that far off the ground. Flying mobs would be annoying as ranged weapons don’t hit grounded creatures very well anyway and can you imagine if you walked off to a vista and a aerial mob suddenly took an interest? I curse anyway when things have to ability to look directly up XD.
Maybe something restricted to towns- almost like an aerial costume brawl with plenty of places to perch and what-not. Animal transformation magic exists, so you could just add an extra level onto a town, complete with a waypoint so people who want to fly around can, without irritating others.
You could take it one step further and make a mountable pet part of the town clothes and people could pay or find upgrades for it and use that in the area- maybe by winning flying tournaments or something like that- racing could be included.

It doesn’t have to have an effect on the main game, just a optional extra that people could give or take. It also gives the artists a way of showing off fancier designs perhaps. As much as I understand the difficulties behind making models for each different type of creature, especially flying and landing animations, I’d happily buy the concept art behind it.

I would like to fly over areas, as there’s always something great about it, but it has to be done right. Legend of Zelda OOT was magical when you first got to use Epona and if mounts, flying or not were introduced, I’d like it to be the same way in GW2.
Waffle over

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

I agree wings as cosmetic, probably with a little float / fly / ground-offset though not a complete flight mechanic. I’d not mind if they could be used to fly lets say 30 cms. off the floor, but not a “zoom i by pass all content” kind of flight.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Doobie.4795

Doobie.4795

What’s the point for them to be just cosmetic, If im going to be paying 1g+ for a item ,i want to wear it Wherever, not just town cloths.
And honestly when you reach lvl 80, and you want to just explorer, and max places out, Its time for mounts. Really.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Late For Tea.1846

And honestly when you reach lvl 80, and you want to just explorer, and max places out, Its time for mounts. Really.

Mounts… really? This game is way too small for mounts. Besides, there’s no real need for these things with all the waypoints we have.
And in the years I’ve played Guild Wars, I’ve never ever seen a mounted NPC, read about anyone riding a creature or heard of any battles fought by cavalry. I think Tyrians are scared to get their feet off the ground.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I’m So gonna get the “ur a dumb” posts for this but I suggest wings <3

Not stupidly huge ones that get in peoples ways, but a decent sized back item, maybe even detached wings that kind of float behind you but still add the the effect <3, I’m sure RPers would love that sort of thing as well.

Or a class related flight mechanic like Engies get backpacks, Ele’s levitate, Mesmer’s get purple crystal shard like wings. and using under water combat mechanics (obviously PvE only and in certain areas that wont making jumping puzzles and vistas redundant)

To the eventual:

“Go play Aion Noob”

Suggesting Ariel combat may be a bit much but a simple back item would be pretty awesome, bet it’d sell like hot cakes in the gem store. (not town clothes only please >>)

I like the idea of having cosmetic wings for town clothing and armor. Could even be a buff particle effect.

Wings that work like the diving glasses. For gliding off certain high places would be fun.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: phlemhacker.1372

phlemhacker.1372

The only way I would be okay with flying at all would be as a travel method in PvE only, and even then only to areas you have been before. (no flying up to vistas for example)

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Lutharr.1035

I’m sorry but:

“Go back to Aion.”

oh for the love of god grow up

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Late For Tea.1846

I’m sorry but:

“Go back to Aion.”

oh for the love of god grow up

How is that being immature? Honestly, I fully agree with him. The only signs of aerial combat is in Orr, and that’s with airships. If the world slowly moves forward in that direction (with new content focusing/including more of the airships), I can see there being aerial combat or exploration eventual, but then it will be with Airships, not wings.
If this game gets aerial features, it will be more likely to be something like Allods, rather than Aion.

If the OP seriously suggest wings for this, and only this reason, and bringing it in the way I just quoted, I find Oglaf’s response more than reasonable.

(edited by Late For Tea.1846)

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

To say they have no place is silly no offense, Wings of that sort have no place in our world by that thought process and yet people wear them cause they like them.

We, in the real world, don’t wear wings in daily life (I hope). We only wear them at special events or parties, like carnival. I have yet to see such an event in Tyria. Do you go to work or school wearing wings, or maybe when you go shopping? I don’t think so.

No I don’t but I have seen people that choose to wear them randomly with out any special occasion, that is their personal choice. Just like the fact that if they were cosmetic with no other purpose or benefit than looks for town clothes that is the choice of the player not yours, regardless of how you feel about them. How does someone in LA or DR or BC wearing a pair of wings going to affect your game? It wont, and if you retort with saying, “If I walk into LA and see it, it will just ruin the surrealism of the game” then I am sorry your so sensitive to simplistic things. I personally would never use them but that doesn’t mean someone else or many others wouldn’t.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

So +1 for that

It is true I am more into the cosmetic.

someone on vent mentioned “Engie jet packs” and it make me go “HELL’S YEAH!” and decided to post relating to the sentiment. flying was more of a half baked proposal.

Everyone of you people complaining about the aerial flight and blah blah blah, and the rude immature people that keep saying GO BACK TO AION obviously didn’t read all the comments.

As the original poster on the thread after being called out BY ME saying Flying in GW2 has no place Specifically stated he wanted them for cosmetic purposes first and foremost, he just threw in the idea of flight after wards. He then said

flying was more of a half baked proposal.

So people get off the idea the OP wanted flight he has stated that he doesn’t want that.

For cosmetic purposes I see no issue with it, so long as it stays cosmetic and has no actual game application beyond that.

What’s the point for them to be just cosmetic, If im going to be paying 1g+ for a item ,i want to wear it Wherever, not just town cloths.

Doobie you need to get off the mount thing how many threads have been locked down by the moderators that you have commented in about mounts? How many times does it have to be locked before you get the idea that it will not happen? Also who said anything about paying gold for the cosmetic wings? That is like saying Well if I pay X amount of gold or X amount of real world money for the Winterday town clothes they better allow me to never die in Dungeons. LOL not everything in the game has to have a PvE or PvP use, some things are just there for simple pleasures nothing more.

Mounts… really? This game is way too small for mounts. Besides, there’s no real need for these things with all the waypoints we have.
And in the years I’ve played Guild Wars, I’ve never ever seen a mounted NPC, read about anyone riding a creature or heard of any battles fought by cavalry. I think Tyrians are scared to get their feet off the ground.

I disagree with 90% of what you have said on this Thread, but this I agree with.

(edited by Kaimick.5109)

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Late For Tea.1846

…that is the choice of the player not yours, regardless of how you feel about them.

That is very nice, but I don’t recall stating that it isn’t their choice.

How does someone in LA or DR or BC wearing a pair of wings going to affect your game?

Does that mean I can have a car, which I can drive in through LA, and honk whenever I hear an NPC say something?
I’m thinking of the game as a whole, not what some players might want just to satisfy their needs. The game has never given an indication that Tyria’s citizens are Wing-obsessed fanatics, so I can conclude that it simply does not fit into the setting. You can say that it doesn’t ruin my gameplay and I should let people have what they want, but in that case I can ask for other similar stuff as well (like the car). After a few of these things the world is dead, because there are too many random things that just don’t fit in.
And instead of this being a good, well thought out fantasy world (because isn’t that what fantasy is about? Constructing worlds?), it turned into a paradise of random Gem Shop toys.

Now that we’re talking about it, can I have a Draenei costume? They really don’t fit into the world at all, but who cares? It’s not gonna hurt anyone’s gameplay if I run around as a blue space alien \o/

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

…that is the choice of the player not yours, regardless of how you feel about them.

That is very nice, but I don’t recall stating that it isn’t their choice.

How does someone in LA or DR or BC wearing a pair of wings going to affect your game?

Does that mean I can have a car, which I can drive in through LA, and honk whenever I hear an NPC say something?
I’m thinking of the game as a whole, not what some players might want just to satisfy their needs. The game has never given an indication that Tyria’s citizens are Wing-obsessed fanatics, so I can conclude that it simply does not fit into the setting. You can say that it doesn’t ruin my gameplay and I should let people have what they want, but in that case I can ask for other similar stuff as well (like the car). After a few of these things the world is dead, because there are too many random things that just don’t fit in.
And instead of this being a good, well thought out fantasy world (because isn’t that what fantasy is about? Constructing worlds?), it turned into a paradise of random Gem Shop toys.

Now that we’re talking about it, can I have a Draenei costume? They really don’t fit into the world at all, but who cares? It’s not gonna hurt anyone’s gameplay if I run around as a blue space alien \o/

Your over the top Examples make it hard to try and discuss things with you, really a car honking a horn. LOL we should all just stop playing the game now then your right it is all ruined all the fantasy is out of the game

It isn’t like they added Devil horns for town clothes or anything, that you could get for free, oh wait they did. Oh and the bunny ears, I never see people in real life running around with the bunny ears and people of Tyria don’t either. MY GOD it has started everyone leave the game now delete the game from your computer delete your account quick Late For Tea.1846 we will follow you we have to hold off the Immersion ruining content so it doesn’t destroy you.

Items such as wings or the like have been added to the game already. How have they affected your game thus far, I mean I have never ever seen anyone in a boxing ring or a boxing match in the game yet there is Boxing gloves.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: WBL.6715

WBL.6715

Maybe if the wings increased your jump distance a little bit and is animated kinda like the plush griffon’s jump, where it flaps it’s wings like it’s trying to fly. lol. That’d be cool.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Late For Tea.1846

-snip-

It’s funny how you say it’s difficult to discuss this with me, and the first thing you do is lose your composure and act like a complete moron. But my opinion still stand, and if you think it’s ridiculous, that’s up to you. At least I backed my opinion up with arguments, I can’t say the same of you.

So tell me, what does it add to the game? Why should Anet spend their time on designing and making these wings, instead of something else, other than because it’s “fun”?

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

If it was put in the back slot and you floated above the ground and the wings waving it would work.

Wings and flying~

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

-snip-

It’s funny how you say it’s difficult to discuss this with me, and the first thing you do is lose your composure and act like a complete moron. But my opinion still stand, and if you think it’s ridiculous, that’s up to you. At least I backed my opinion up with arguments, I can’t say the same of you.

So tell me, what does it add to the game? Why should Anet spend their time on designing and making these wings, instead of something else, other than because it’s “fun”?

Look I rightly don’t care if you want a car and to drive it around and honk I really don’t, it doesn’t affect me in any way.

So tell me, what does it add to the game?
Enjoyment for others that you apparently don’t either understand or care about.

How about I turn it around on you your same question.
So tell me, what do these add to the game?

• Baseball cap with the GW2 Logo
  • Boxing gloves
  • Devil Horns
  • Sailors beanie
  • Aviator sunglasses
  • Aviators cap
  • Bunny ears
  • Wintersday Clothing
  • Festive hat
  • Inventor Glasses
  • Chefs Outfit
  • any and all weapon skins
  • Reading glasses
  • sports glasses
  • Ringmasters hat
  • Wide rim glasses
  • Wintersday ear muffs
  • Witches Hat
  • Mini pets

You answer this question you answer how any sort of cosmetic wings for town cloths would add to the game. If your answer is it doesn’t, so why have them then that is a question you need to ask Arena Net. The honest answer to all of this is there are certain things in the game that may or may not fit into the worlds Mythos and Immersion and are there for cosmetic enjoyment of some players that may or may not purchase them. In case you haven’t been reading this thread everyone minus I think 2 people your self included has had no issue with wings being added into the game for town clothes like the baseball cap ect. They only had a problem with the flight thing which was squashed in due part to the OP not really wanting that.

No one is saying that if Arena Net should put this in the game they need to make it a priority over more pressing issues, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a place in the game as I gave you a full list of Gem store items that can be found no where on NPC in tyria ( Minus the ringmasters hat) and has no purpose out side of simplistic enjoyment of the player that uses them.

Just because you don’t see a need or feel you would never purchase them doesn’t mean someone else wont.

(edited by Kaimick.5109)