World completion should be account wide

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ultima Thule.3950

Ultima Thule.3950

(Note I posted this in a different subforum by error, lost the post, going to recreate it more or less)

I used to play SWTOR, my main problem with that game was that the maps were small, and soon enough all your characters converged in the same areas (worlds there), and thus you were doing the same areas over and over, it made the game old fast.

Here we are lucky that the map is huge, with many different areas where you could level new characters, barely repeating anything, keeping the game fresh and interesting — a lot to experience and explore for any number of alts.

Then I found out that some genius decided that map completion should be done in one character, that is, to drag a downleveled character all over Tyria, instead of exploring it with different characters on level, as the maps were designed.

You have a huge map with the potential to level different characters exploring each one different areas — for example my first character was leveled mostly in the Shiverpeaks, another is being leveled in Ascalon (places I want to explore, is not based in their “race’s region”) If I already had everything done and explored in one character, there would be little point in rolling alts, or in fact to keep playing. That’s why I keep areas unexplored for new characters, I don’t want to spoil the game for myself.

The game shouldn’t care if I explore zone A with character Y, and zone B with character X, I am uncovering the whole map all the same.

For the people worried about the Gift for more than one legendary, the game could keep track if you achieved map completion in a single character, besides the general achievement.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

This post is a little aggressive dontcha think? “some genius decided” – you didn’t need that.

But aside from the rude language, yeah this would be a good idea, that way I can explore different areas with different characters. I don’ mind “dragging my downleveled character all over Tyria”, I like the zone leveling system, but it does mean that my alts are going to all be retracing the same places I’ve already been. So if I get to know the whole map real well with my main, the alt exploring will seem kinda repetitive even when I ain’t trying to clear the whole map again.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kyven.7514

Kyven.7514

I’m doing map completion on a second char. I agree with the repetitiveness of exploration; but it’s easier the 2nd time around as I’ve gone through the areas once already.

Having said that, I disagree it should be account bound and like it to be character bound like it already is. It gives me a sense of “I loved this character enough to travel the entire world of Tyria with him/her, s/he’s earned the right to that gold star”.

Lareswen-Human Warrior/Zinnia Epsilon-Asura Mesmer
The Tyrian Institute (TI)
One of the few Americans on Gunnar’s Hold (EU)

in Suggestions

Ultima Thule.3950

Sorry if it came across rude, English is not my native language, I want to convey the frustration seeing that they are taking the potential off their own game.

We shouldn’t be encouraged to do and see everything in one character, when you have a map with several areas for each level range, which is ideal for alts.

To go around in a downleveled character is 10% of the fun you would have doing it on level. Not to mention the rewards won’t be up to par (I know that they might drop something for your real level tho) But still, the fun is to level in unexplored, different areas as much as is possible.

in Suggestions

Ultima Thule.3950

I’m doing map completion on a second char. I agree with the repetitiveness of exploration; but it’s easier the 2nd time around as I’ve gone through the areas once already.

Having said that, I disagree it should be account bound and like it to be character bound like it already is. It gives me a sense of “I loved this character enough to travel the entire world of Tyria with him/her, s/he’s earned the right to that gold star”.

There is no reason you shouldn’t do it in one character then. Options is the word.

You want to do it in one character? Go ahead.

But others might want to uncover Tyria with different characters, trying to be on level on the maps.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I prefer map completion to be character based for 2 reasons:

1. The rewards for finishing a map. I’ve gotten black lion keys, make over kits, trans crystals, level 71-80 exotics etc. I would lose out on all of this if the maps were account based.

2. Map completion contributes a massive amount to leveling, and is part of the reason leveling in this game is so fast. Again, if maps were account based you’d only make leveling alts more and more difficult.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Uhaen.9876

Uhaen.9876

To go around in a downleveled character is 10% of the fun you would have doing it on level. Not to mention the rewards won’t be up to par (I know that they might drop something for your real level tho)

Contrarily, I find it more fun. It’s much easier to get away with mindless slaughter when you’re downleveled and overgeared for content. It satisfies my Dynasty Warriors complex, and when I want you-must-focus content, I can do fractals or dungeons. Add in the fact that they drop equal-level gear, it’s a win-win. Additionally, if exploration were account-wide, leveling alts would suck.

~Terraa

(edited by Uhaen.9876)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zelkovan.2630

Zelkovan.2630

Well, If they were account bound, there would be multiple problems. Would all the hearts/vistas/waypoints/POI be completed on every single character, therefore making it much harder to level? Would Waypoints/POI/Vistas only count, not making it map completion and also reducing the amount of exp you can earn significantly (as all that would be left would be hearts)?

What if you wanted more than 2 gifts of exploration? How would we go about getting those?

It’s too many problems that can cause flaws or complications. Honestly, it’s fine the way it is. Plus for every alt I level I wouldn’t mind the exotic or two from 70+ map completion.

in Suggestions

Ultima Thule.3950

I prefer map completion to be character based for 2 reasons:

1. The rewards for finishing a map. I’ve gotten black lion keys, make over kits, trans crystals, level 71-80 exotics etc. I would lose out on all of this if the maps were account based.

2. Map completion contributes a massive amount to leveling, and is part of the reason leveling in this game is so fast. Again, if maps were account based you’d only make leveling alts more and more difficult.

Nope, I am not talking of individual maps completion, I am talking of the world completion achievement.

In no way that means that when you do the same map with different characters you wouldn’t get a reward.

What I mean is that the achievement for WORLD completion should be account wide, it takes in account ALL your characters. Yet, you could do it more than once as now, in a single character for more than one legendary.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Ah ok, now I get what you mean. Sorry it’s a tad late for me.

In that case, then yeah that would be a nice “quality of life” change.

in Suggestions

Jack of Tears.9458

In no way that means that when you do the same map with different characters you wouldn’t get a reward.

What I mean is that the achievement for WORLD completion should be account wide, it takes in account ALL your characters. Yet, you could do it more than once as now, in a single character for more than one legendary.

Yeah, so we have 5 races in the game. If I explore a different 20% of the map with each race, I’d end up with 100% map (or world if ya wanna call it that) completion. This doesn’t stop me from clearing maps over with other characters and getting credit for POIs etc. it just means I didn’t wipe the entire map with one person.

So saying, I got 73% map comp with my human, now I wanna try a Sylvari … well, I haven’t explored Sylvari lands much so I could run over there with my human and hit them, or I could make a Sylvari alt and hit them, either way I get world completion credit for that area. That doesn’t mean those POIs and Vistas are already tagged for my human now, it just means that across my whole account I’ve nailed more of the map.

in Suggestions

Jack of Tears.9458

I’m totally on board with this idea … it’d actually encourage me to play alts.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

At the very least, once you explored the map once, it should be done for the whole account. Now, exploration and hearts are two separate things to me. Having to do the hearts again for the EXP, that I don’t mind.

I have 4 80’s already and leveling more alt’s. To do world complete on all 9 (will be more) is just an unbearable thought.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I am not in favour of it being account bound. You get the title been there done that on all your characters. You get the rewards account bound. The only thing you don’t get is the little star on every character which I can live without. I have one character with 100% world, I can’t see the need for another personally.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

The Explorer achievements (Orr Explorer, Krytan Explorer, etc.) are already account wide, it’s just the one that provides the title has to be completed on one character.

If it bugs you, you could try my strategy. I’ve yet to finish the 100% on my main because there are certain maps that I’m reserving for alts to explore first. Once I’ve cleared it for the first time with my alt, my main will go and complete the map and inch closer towards the 100% mark.

in Suggestions

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

There’s alot of things that aren’t balanced imo, this is one of them why is it not account wide? It’s bad enough that one actually has to go into a PVP zone, didn’t they learn from Aion’s example? That is the key reason why people left that game en masse you know!

Why are dailies account wide? Why can’t we finish dailies on multiple toons to accumulate more currency?

Doesn’t make any logical sense to me either OP.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

At the very least, once you explored the map once, it should be done for the whole account. Now, exploration and hearts are two separate things to me. Having to do the hearts again for the EXP, that I don’t mind.

I have 4 80’s already and leveling more alt’s. To do world complete on all 9 (will be more) is just an unbearable thought.

Yesssss this… I would finally finish world completion this week (after 9 months of putting it off) if all the maps/wps would be available on my alts… leave the hearts/vistas/pois/sps all undone for the other characters… this would at least make us having alts worth actually having because aside from preventing yourself from getting burnt out playing your main they’re fairly pointless and there’s no incentive whatsoever to actually make another character at this point as they just eat up more of your gold.. which I believe in some ways will end up shortening the lifespan of this game (no doomsday stuff here, I believe the game will be around for years to come, I just believe giving incentive to make alts would help to keep the community more full for longer than it will be under current circumstances)

in Suggestions

Posted by: universalcosmos.4286

universalcosmos.4286

Hear hear. Having taken my main to about 55% of world map completion, I’ve changed focus to levelling my Guardian… and, if I decide that he’s now going to be my main, the prospect of having to do all those areas again if I ever want to complete this achievement is daunting to say the least.

in Suggestions

Ultima Thule.3950

If it bugs you, you could try my strategy. I’ve yet to finish the 100% on my main because there are certain maps that I’m reserving for alts to explore first. Once I’ve cleared it for the first time with my alt, my main will go and complete the map and inch closer towards the 100% mark.

Isn’t a bit against sense that you need to repeat the same areas with your main, because your alts won’t contribute to an account wide achievement?

I hope they’ll reconsider this policy, it places a severe penalty against having alts, when in fact they should encourage it, then people wonder why low level areas are pretty empty.

Instead of everyone facerolling low level areas as fast as they can on their main to get the achievement, what about actually playing on level with alts, and uncover Tyria normally?

Of course as I said before, individual maps completion would give rewards for each character as now, and you could do the achievement separately for more legendaries. Yet the world completion achievement naturally should be account wide. (Most people play with more than one character — shouldn’t be penalised for it)

Is in Anet interest to keep people playing, they have a huge map… let’s take advantage of it, stop penalising people for playing with their alts.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

No no no no.
The star? Maybe. But do you know how much profit I gain for leveling my 7th alt and going trough the world again? Also how much of the exp comes from finishing full maps? Leveling alts would be hell if world completion counted for all characters.

in Suggestions

Ultima Thule.3950

No no no no.
The star? Maybe. But do you know how much profit I gain for leveling my 7th alt and going trough the world again? Also how much of the exp comes from finishing full maps? Leveling alts would be hell if world completion counted for all characters.

Look I already answered another person with the same concerns as you, you can see in the thread.

Here:

Nope, I am not talking of individual maps completion, I am talking of the world completion achievement.

I edit to try to clarify more, ALL your characters contribute to the world achievement, yet you can do the same maps with different characters and still get the same individual reward for them as now.

The game can keep track of account wide completion for the world achievement, and individual character progress as well.

(edited by Ultima Thule.3950)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

No no no no.

Look I already answered another person with the same concerns as you, you can see in the thread.

Here:

Oh fair enough. I wouldn’t mind that

in Suggestions

Posted by: Weirwynn.2390

Weirwynn.2390

Why are dailies account wide? Why can’t we finish dailies on multiple toons to accumulate more currency?

Doesn’t make any logical sense to me either OP.

Because the whole point of laurels is to be a casual-friendly currency that everyone accumulates at the same rate.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Martin The Brave.8731

Martin The Brave.8731

I very much like this idea, I suggested something similar myself. Not to detract from what the OP said at all but I envision this concept to work in this manner:

Once world completion has been completed on one character, all level 80 character have the option to turn on the feature which opens all Waypoints. Depending on how Arenanet wants to provide such a service they could either increase the price of waypoint cost for characters using this feature. Or make it a gem-store item. Exp would no longer be granted for discovering Waypoints on these characters.

in Suggestions

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

+1
Ive read it, and it sounds like a great idea, since it will make it easiere for people to start a new char.