WvW Commander Suggestion

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

Hey guys!

Alright, I don’t know if this has been suggested or not… but I was thinking, why do we require gold for the commander book? Can’t some gold buyer just buy gold and get the book? And what does gold have to do with WvW? People who’ve never done WvW before can buy it, that just doesn’t makes sense.

With that said, I’d like to suggest that the Commander’s Compendium (that’s what it’s called IIRC) be bought with Badges of Honor. Not only can Badges of Honor not be cheaply or easily acquired, they’re only gained for doing WvW. This will make it so that people actually have to have a large amount of WvW experience in order to become commanders. My suggestion would be 1,000 badges. Yes, I know they’re hard to get, I only have around 300 myself, but right now I’m seeing way too many commanders.

Tl;dr: Make becoming commander cost badges of honor, and a lot of them at that (500-1,000).

What do you guys think? Sorry if this has already been suggested before.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: porksilog.2803

porksilog.2803

this gets my vote.

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

+1, 1k badges obtained by the new Commander rather than 100g collected within the guild to equip just one of the leader’s character with a fancy map icon. At least that icon would then mean something.

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fanum.6598

Fanum.6598

Thats actually a good idea. +1

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: redhand.7168

redhand.7168

Absolutely. Definitely more balanced, makes more sense. +1

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Arius.7031

Thanks for the positive comments guys! Is there anything wrong with this, or anything someone could suggest to improve upon it? I’m hoping to make sure the devs (or whoever the right people are) see this, because as it stands there are just too many commanders. More than that, all it takes is being a guild leader of a moderate sized guild, buying gold, or knowing good spots to farm that make you a commander.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: AlphaMyk.8692

AlphaMyk.8692

Agreed, I like this idea and was discussing with my wife a few days ago, that as it stands right now people are making it one of their “end-game” goal to achieve the title and status, but not what I thought the purpose of the title was for… which was to designate leaders in WvW. At least that is how it seems to me.

This idea would make it so experienced WvW players get the title and can organize and lead in WvW. Aligning with what I thought the title was for.

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Commanders are supposed to be played in both WvW and PvE…

But then again, they could split that into two. WvW y PVE commander. And you’ll need to get the badges for the WvW.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Arius.7031

MithranArkanere
But is there really any point to a commander in PvE? In WvW, they can change a server or a battle (see: half naked Norn), but there’s virtually no use for them in PvE, at least that I can see (feel free to correct me). So if it is true that they’re meant for both, the fact that one can become commander the WvW with no experience in it is very bad news, though the reverse is not equally true, because a commander in PvE doesn’t really hurt anyone. With that said, I think the focus should be on making Commander achievable only through many badges of honor.

However, we could suggest a system where there are two different kinds of commanders, one that requires gold and works in PvE, and one that requires badges and works in WvW. However, the problem here is that PvE will eventually become over-saturated with commanders. I mean, eventually you’ll see dozens on a map at a time… and then what’s the point? More than that, the point stands that gold can be gained cheaply.

So all in all, I prefer it just being Badges of Honor. However, I’d love to hear back from you to see what you think.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bogey.5423

Bogey.5423

Sounds very reasonable. In my opinion it should be based on WvW title points, but Badges of Honor would basically be the same thing. At least it would be based on how much WvW person has done, rather than bought gold (NOT saying that commanders have bought gold, but there is a possibility for it now).

[Hex]

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: GoldenKnightTim.4390

GoldenKnightTim.4390

Right now i can only imagine someone having enough gold for that by buying it from a gold seller. I like this idea. I think 1k boh is a little too low for a price. I would suggest about 10k, because when i am following a commander, i would appreciate knowing that this person really knows what he is doing. I would also like it if the commander was able to do more. I think that people should still be able to buy a commander book in pve, but i think it should not carry over to wvw. I really like your idea, and i think anet would be mistaken to ignor it.

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: FallenAdvent.5904

FallenAdvent.5904

I fully support this idea. Personally. I feel Commander is a waste of time in PvE, Nobody cares if your a Commander in PvE. That, And having it be around 5k Medals seems perfect to me, Not only does it show you have some substantial experience in WvW, But it also shows your dedication in earning such a rank.

As far as more that you can do, I think there should be a commander panel. Where you can ranks/titles to specific individuals, Such as a person that is leading the attacking force, or someone that is heading up defense.

Also, Maybe add the ability to give the Squad leader a specific color for him/her, That way orders are easily recognizable.

Also, @ A-Net, You have an entire forum sitting here dishing you guys great ideas. Please do not descend to the same level as Blizzard and ignore your community.

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reika.2749

Reika.2749

I support this! Yes please

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: Godztwin.7293

Godztwin.7293

Genius
I hope anet read this, its not half a good idea

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: porksilog.2803

porksilog.2803

refund all the gold of existing commanders and make everyone work for it! yeah 1k badges is too little price. make it 3k to 5k i think thats reasonable

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: ravenheart.2743

ravenheart.2743

WVW Commanders should be experienced in WVW not rich. hmm makes sense

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: Danny.1594

Danny.1594

want to know why this will not happen? because people give Anet $700 to transfer gems to gold to get commander…. they would lose a ton of money if they did this lol

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hald Degli Strock.1304

Hald Degli Strock.1304

please read this: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Please-add-a-General-s-tome-to-be-bought-for-1000-Badges/first thread. Commander title earned only with badges (also stated in other threads, but I don’t remember where) is a bad idea.

In order to understand recursive, you must first understand recursive.

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Arius.7031

Hald, I don’t want to have to go through an entire thread to get your point, so can you please sum it up here?

I’ll go ahead and respond to a few points you might make:

1. But hey, badges don’t guarantee someone knows how to WvW… they might just get it from camping puzzles or something!

Answer: And gold is much better I take it? At least by making it badges of honor people have to PvP to an extent. The fact of the matter is, while it’s not a perfect system, it is far better than the current system.

2. But hey, people can get the commander book who don’t know what they’re doing, all badges of honor say is that he’s killed people in WvW!

Answer: Again, this is true, but how does one ensure that only people with certain knowledge or capabilities are let into becoming a commander? Is it the perfect solution? No, but it’s far better than the current system, and better than any other I’ve heard (except perhaps PvP points thing up above).

3. 1,000 badges are easy to acquire compared to 100 gold! Too many people will become commanders.

Answer: Then increase it to 2-5 thousand.

Basically, let’s be honest, compare the badges system to it costing gold and it’s simply better in almost any way. Gold leaves room for gold buyers, people who’ve never even stepped foot into WvW, guild leaders who may not have ever done WvW, and about a billion other small issues.

Badges of Honor on the other hand, sure, they can be acquired cheaply, but it’s much more difficult — and even then they’re still at least in WvW while they’re doing it. Any problem that the badge system has the gold system shares, but the same is not true in reverse, most problems the gold system has are not shared by the badge system. More than that, badges are fairly useless at the moment, this will make them a worthwhile grind for WvW players.

Therefore, I think we can logically conclude that it’s not a “bad idea” versus the current implementation, just that it’s not the perfect idea. That is, until you bring up your specific objection.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

(edited by Arius.7031)

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Some classes just have a harder time in WvW getting badges, since the system is very odd. Some form of ranking system in WvW would be better, a system thats equal for all classes. The commander should also be account wide.

WvW is more forgiving when it comes to ranged classes, so range classes would be the most common commanders even if they have little knowledge about whats actually needed out there.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: Revenge.3892

Revenge.3892

I agree in making them separate things. WvW Commanders could even be linked to the certain WvW Achievements. Make them available as a title with a twist Badges of Honour can be farmed through Puzzles etc, so i think an achievement showing that they have done all aspects of WvW (Sieging, defending, killing, helping supply, building, deploying siege etc.)

Its a nice start to an idea thats always been in mine, and many others heads from the start. Reward the hardcore WvW enthusiast’s with the ability to inspire and lead the unsure or lacking. Everyone will see a commander and truly look up to them as master’s of the game style.

WvW Commander Suggestion

in Suggestions

Arius.7031

Some classes just have a harder time in WvW getting badges, since the system is very odd. Some form of ranking system in WvW would be better, a system thats equal for all classes. The commander should also be account wide.

WvW is more forgiving when it comes to ranged classes, so range classes would be the most common commanders even if they have little knowledge about whats actually needed out there.

I agree to an extent, however, a class preference among the commanders is of little importance. I mean, as it stands right now, literally anybody can become a commander, all it takes is buying gold or PvE grinding a lot, and that’s just not acceptable.

We also have to remember to keep our suggestions easy and simple. As it is, swapping the currency from gold to badges would be very easy, quick, and simple, whereas other suggestions (such as a ranking system type of thing) would take much longer and would take away from other areas they’re trying to develop.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]