WvW: MOBA (please read)

in Suggestions

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Before I say anything else, I want to be clear that the original WvW format will not be removed. It will stay as it always has been.

Another thing, please do not move this thread to suggestions. Very few ever read that section of the forums.

I want a serious discussion on adding a new WvW format that’s similar to League of Legends. I will call it WvWLOL. ^^

WvWLOL will be a new format that is introduced to encourage Guild vs Guild battles. It does not affect WvW score at all. Its main purpose to replace sPvP as the Esport outlet of GW2.

I am not going to write a long paragraph describing what LOL is. I am sure most of you guys already know how to play LOL. If not, please watch this video here to get an idea.

Here is how WvWLOL will be different from WvW:

-there is no random pugs in WvWLOL. All members on a team are hand picked. Although there will be an option to allow random join for casual matches.
-no fortresses. All fights are open field.
-no siege weapons.
-1 map only, with 70 players on each side (70 vs 70)
-when the match ends there will be a winner and a loser. There is no 24 hour clock.
-friendly mobs will spawn from home base and attack toward the enemy base, with the 3 main paths.
-killing an enemy player or a special mob will gain benefits, like bonus stats or ability to buy WvW:LOL items for that match.

Here is how i envision a match will be:
-20 players will go to each of the 3 main paths. Each group of 20 will usually be a guild group that’s very comfortable in fighting beside each other. (60 in total)
-10 players in 2 havoc teams will go to the side paths (10 in total)
-the number of players in each area will increase and decrease throughout the match. Team cooperation will be very important.

Without going into further details, what do you guys generally feel about this? This will be a 3rd person view, more numerous version of LOL. ^^

Attachments:

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

I’m just going to point out that league of legends is a rip off of DotA1, which was a rip off of 3 Corridors (3C and DotA 1 were both Warcraft 3 custom maps). If 3 Corridors ripped it’s concept off something else (maybe a StarCraft 1 custom map???), let me know.

So please rename this hilarious thread and all associated names to WvW 3 Corridors and WvW3C for accuracy, your stolen idea is more like 3C than DotA 1 or LoL anyway.

(edited by Have No Faith In Me.1840)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Convenant.7092

Convenant.7092

70 v 70 LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

in Suggestions

Posted by: Covis.6037

Covis.6037

I’m just going to point out that league of legends is a rip off of DotA1, which was a rip off of 3 Corridors (3C and DotA 1 were both Warcraft 3 custom maps). If 3 Corridors ripped it’s concept off something else, let me know.

So please rename this hilarious thread and all associated names to WvW3C for accuracy, your stolen idea is more like 3C than DotA 1 or LoL anyway.

Gooby pliz… Point of this thread is not whats the origin of dota type of games….

I think there will be alot of population problems with this, u will never have enough players on lower servers.

in Suggestions

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Gooby pliz… Point of this thread is not whats the origin of dota type of games….

I think there will be alot of population problems with this, u will never have enough players on lower servers.

Credit due to those who deserve credit.

Frankly LoL is a plague on games, just like Call of Noobys.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phoenix.3416

Phoenix.3416

would actually be interesting…. maybe 30vs30 max though.

each tower should be a rammable gate :P to progress down a lane you have to attack the gate and get it open and so on

in Suggestions

CHIPS.6018

I’m just going to point out that league of legends is a rip off of DotA1, which was a rip off of 3 Corridors (3C and DotA 1 were both Warcraft 3 custom maps). If 3 Corridors ripped it’s concept off something else, let me know.

So please rename this hilarious thread and all associated names to WvW3C for accuracy, your stolen idea is more like 3C than DotA 1 or LoL anyway.

The teams are not server limited. Guilds can team up with whoever they like. A BG guild can team up with a SOS guild and a SBI guild, for example.

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in Suggestions

CHIPS.6018

Credit due to those who deserve credit.

Frankly LoL is a plague on games, just like Call of Noobys.

LOL and DOTA2 are the top RPG Esport games out there. And tbh they are fun. Their format works, that’s why they are successful.

http://www.esportsearnings.com/players

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in Suggestions

Have No Faith In Me.1840

They’re not RPG’s.

Still not sure how any of that invalidates the 3C nametag except for the age of the OP.

in Suggestions

CHIPS.6018

They’re not RPG’s.

Still not sure how any of that invalidates the 3C nametag except for the age of the OP.

Sir, did you just insulted my age?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elochai.1280

Elochai.1280

Naming it anything with another games name is a bad idea. Call it wvw:moba if you must. You’d have to significantly change classes gear and skills. It’d almost be like making a new game. A net might as well just charge for a gw2 large scale moba.

Elochai Rendar 80 Warrior/Anskar Rendar 80 Necromancer/Rylea Rendar 80 Thief/Kento Rendar 80 Ranger
Commander

in Suggestions

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Check out SMITE. It’s exactly what you’re looking for and is a pretty good idea for a new game mode they could easily implement. It wouldn’t be a WvW alternative though and would need to be much smaller like 10v10 at most.

in Suggestions

CHIPS.6018

Naming it anything with another games name is a bad idea. Call it wvw:moba if you must. You’d have to significantly change classes gear and skills. It’d almost be like making a new game. A net might as well just charge for a gw2 large scale moba.

K I fixed it. TBH I am surprised that the name of the topic is more important than the topic itself. :P

in Suggestions

CHIPS.6018

Why so few opinions? It is obvious that sPvP isn’t working out. And WvW’s 24 hour schedule is slowly killing this game. Going MOBA is the way to go imo.

in Suggestions

Posted by: earendil.1290

earendil.1290

There used to be a game called Guild Wars 1, with something called GvG in it. Plenty of fun – complex maps with different structures and scenarios, lots of strategy and individual skills involved. You had seasons, you had top teams, money prizes and I remember watching games on GvG TV ….

That’s way better than what you describe. And it will come, probably with an expansion or something.

The potential of something new and innovative in the land of Massive Multiplayer PvP is there – just not yet available

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kline.9561

Kline.9561

i support this thread

And before says my build doesn’t work, when Ele’s get nerfed it will be -Schwahrheit

in Suggestions

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

70 vs 70 is hilarious enough to begin with, trying to make it happen with preset teams just guarantees you will never get a single match of this off the ground.

also, generally speaking.. if we wanted to play a moba, we’d be playing a moba.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

The basic idea sounds great.

Details can be worked out by Anet of course. Like number of players – I like the large scale idea of it – 70 v 70 might be too big but10v10 would be too small. Map design. Win conditions. Etc.

It would satisfy the people who always complain about siege. It would be available to casuals and hardcore. And the combat system in GW2 is great so you don’t need to design a whole new system.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The thing with lol/dota/whatever is that the individuals are fun to watch. 70vs70 aint ever going to come close to that feel. Even in GW2 most guilds recognize that GvG above 20 per side is pretty much just moshpits.

That said, I do think that they should offer more restricted, scripted WvW style combat. Like 20v20v20 but not on tiny fake sPvP maps, real large WvW zones with keeps, castles and AI doing their work. It would be a simple matter to script “lanes” and AI units attacking other AI units so you have to be on your toes. Then they really only need to add spectators to it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

a 5v5 or 10v10 mode built similar to supermondaynightcombat could be a fun alternative to the current spvp system. but would not work with blobs/zergs

edit: after thinking about it more 10v10 would even be too many

(edited by Lobo Dela Noche.5127)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mysteriax.6049

Mysteriax.6049

A good idea man, got me thinking. Keep on releasing more info about your plan!

Bad Axxe
Blissful Epidemic [Blis]
Gate of Madness

in Suggestions

Atherakhia.4086

I would put this thread in the sPvP forum honestly. It will never be a WvW option, but could easily be something they do in sPvP.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

Could be a fantastic game mode if happens, specilly if is tailored for either 5 vs 5 to 10 vs 10 players at most.

Just made a well scaled map (maybe of the size of the current ruins in the borderline ones), put “towers” with huge amount of HP and high damage (maybe some sort of stationary Giganticus Lupicus), put Orr abominations and some other nasty foes instead of the generic creeps from other MOBAs, add some event mechanics as in the sPvP maps (to enhance the deep of the gamneplay) and voila!: you will have a very enjoyable competitive mp ready to shake the market.

The only two handicaps would be: how to implement a buying mechanic along the matches (due currently in both WvW and sPvP your gear stays the same)? And: could it compete against games which are free to play -you still need to buy GW2 to play it-?

So far the current sPvP game mode is a bit limited in terms of gameplay: you have tons of room to customize your class, traits, gear and skills, but once the match starts the gameplay mechanics in a standard GW2 PvP game isn’t much deeper than a standard TDM or CTF shooter, well behind of typoical MOBAs or RTS games.

in Suggestions

Atherakhia.4086

Could be a fantastic game mode if happens, specilly if is tailored for either 5 vs 5 to 10 vs 10 players at most.

Just made a well scaled map (maybe of the size of the current ruins in the borderline ones), put “towers” with huge amount of HP and high damage (maybe some sort of stationary Giganticus Lupicus), put Orr abominations and some other nasty foes instead of the generic creeps from other MOBAs, add some event mechanics as in the sPvP maps (to enhance the deep of the gamneplay) and voila!: you will have a very enjoyable competitive mp ready to shake the market.

The only two handicaps would be: how to implement a buying mechanic along the matches (due currently in both WvW and sPvP your gear stays the same)? And: could it compete against games which are free to play -you still need to buy GW2 to play it-?

So far the current sPvP game mode is a bit limited in terms of gameplay: you have tons of room to customize your class, traits, gear and skills, but once the match starts the gameplay mechanics in a standard GW2 PvP game isn’t much deeper than a standard TDM or CTF shooter, well behind of typoical MOBAs or RTS games.

Well lets brainstorm some level oriented gearing options.

To start at level 0, it’s easy. You just give everyone a single weapon that you start with and no neck piece. You also start with one utility slot and only the first tier of skills available

At level 1 you learn weapon swap and you can choose your secondary weapon from a vendor.

At level 5 you can choose between your heal skills.

At level 10 you get your second ability and can choose from the first 2 tiers.

At level 15 you get your third and can choose from any utility skill.

At level 20 you unlock your elite skills.

you then allow players to purchase their neck piece, the infusion for the neck piece, selection of sigils and runes, etc.

in Suggestions

CHIPS.6018

The basic idea sounds great.

Details can be worked out by Anet of course. Like number of players – I like the large scale idea of it – 70 v 70 might be too big but10v10 would be too small. Map design. Win conditions. Etc.

It would satisfy the people who always complain about siege. It would be available to casuals and hardcore. And the combat system in GW2 is great so you don’t need to design a whole new system.

Sound like something between 20vs20 and 40vs40 will be a good size. Instead of 3 lanes they can have 5 lanes, etc.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shunshin Shisui.1439

Shunshin Shisui.1439

uhh what about copy rights? this sounds super fishy to me

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Copyrichts wouldnt be a problem since MOBAs are an established gametype.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

You can’t copyright a concept, otherwise Sony would’ve been sued long ago for ripping off MUDs with Lineage and Everquest and Blizzard in turn for WoW.

As it is though, I’m getting pretty tired of MOBAs and the sudden need for every new multiplayer game out there to ape one.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

Posted by: AzureShiron.7658

AzureShiron.7658

Ironicly this was moved to the suggestions forum ;p

If you think this post is about you, it probably is