WvW - make it more DAOC style... scrap the scores

in Suggestions

Posted by: Psy.6153

Psy.6153

As the title says, i feel GW2 would progress much more as an MMO if you simply ditch the WvW scoring system and go to a DAOC style WvW area, which is pretty much exactly what you have minus the scoring.

There would never be timed/scored matches, only the pride of fighting for your server day in day out for the orbs of power.

You would see much less of the problems happening now as the power hungry alliances wouldnt be so desperate to get every man and their dogs on their servers, and there would be no clock watching and the desperation to zerg and control every point of a map to make your score go up faster.
Also there would be no long term winning or losing, the whole thing could change in an instant so no worrying about being 70k behind.

DAOC was and at this point still is the best RvR system ever made, and GW2 could easily be the modern version of that without this resetting score system.

Portal Bomber of
Sea of Sorrows NA

(edited by Psy.6153)

in Suggestions

Posted by: purplestone.8364

purplestone.8364

Thats a good idea, DAOC has the best pvp system ever made imo, however with the current state of gw2 if they did do something like that there would still need to be rematching because there would still be the issue of one server dominating the other two, points or not.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

This is precisely what I’ve been arguing for a couple of weeks now. The scoring system they have in place leads to the mindset that it is just a 2 week long battleground to be won or lost. It makes the entire exercise disposable, meaningless.

Unfortunately, player expectations are beginning to worry me. Games like wow have lowered the bar so far most of today’s players cannot accept any other type of game mechanic. One need only look at the majority of posts in this forum to see that.

in Suggestions

Psy.6153

Thats a good idea, DAOC has the best pvp system ever made imo, however with the current state of gw2 if they did do something like that there would still need to be rematching because there would still be the issue of one server dominating the other two, points or not.

But this then becomes a challenge for the lower pop team instead of the current “impossible to win via scores” demoralisation of their team.

Remember Hibernia in the old days of DAOC? Always always outnumbered, but it made them so tight that they were amazing when they hit in force.

This is what makes games like daoc what they were, and i would LOVE LOVE LOVE GW2 to do this same thing.

Portal Bomber of
Sea of Sorrows NA

in Suggestions

purplestone.8364

Yes they should change it to a none-scoring system and give us some kind of Realm ranking instead and a herald that displays everyones progress, would love it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LEGION.5834

LEGION.5834

I’m not a fan of the scoring system because it is very artificial feeling. Although I do like the increasing rewards in world that the points “Unlock” for your realm. I think what would be even better is that if each point gave some kind of static bonus there would be a great reason to attack other castles and supply yards. Like you get a 1-2% bonus to resource gathering for each supply depot your side holds across all 4 maps.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

I think the scoring system is not bad. If you don’t care about the score, you’ll still play, but people that do care, can also play. I think it’s fine.

The other way around it would be to do it with hidden scores. Just display which server is first, and display the score at the end of the 2 weeks. And depending on the score, you get the PVE bonuses for the next 2 weeks. That would also help a little because right now, we would always have better PVE bonuses close to the end of the 2 weeks, and no bonuses when WvW starts…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

The other way around it would be to do it with hidden scores. Just display which server is first, and display the score at the end of the 2 weeks. And depending on the score, you get the PVE bonuses for the next 2 weeks. That would also help a little because right now, we would always have better PVE bonuses close to the end of the 2 weeks, and no bonuses when WvW starts…

This is the problem, the idea there is a “who came in first”. Take that completely out of the game. DAoC RvR was all about the Relics (what would be Orbs of Power in GW2). There was no score, only the bonuses provided by the relics, and control of Darkness Falls (GW2 needs a DF also).

Also, the bonus provided by DAoC Relics is double what the Orbs of Power provide 30% damage increase for owning all 3 of the same type (there were two types, physical damage and magic damage) rather than the 15% Orbs grant. And that bonus was realm wide so even the freshly rolled level 1 got it.

They can keep the scoring as part of their server metrics, to allow them to match up servers. But beyond that it does nothing by reinforce the mindset that WvWvW is nothing more than a two week WoW battleground that you win or lose.

in Suggestions

purplestone.8364

Daoc, relics, darkness falls, so good

Dont get my wrong I love Gw2 for WvW, its the sole reason why I came to the game, but it could use some changes. Maybe an increase in the overal size of the maps with more spread out keeps/towers. Taking the downed system from WvW would be nice. Aswell as reworking the scoring system. Only time will tell how anet will deside to improve the system and alot of people here have some solid ideas, lets just hope they listen and do it right.

(edited by purplestone.8364)

in Suggestions

Psy.6153

WvW shouldnt be an e-sport, it should be realm pride.

Portal Bomber of
Sea of Sorrows NA

in Suggestions

Psy.6153

I want to hear more peoples thoughts on a system without scoring, to make GW2 an mmorpg instead of an esport

Portal Bomber of
Sea of Sorrows NA

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaffo.2709

Kaffo.2709

Agreed- the scores in many ways damage the gameplay.

The war can be seen to be winning/losing by control, by victories- by a player to player basis. The only way for a server to do ‘well’ right now is control keeps. I like to rove the map with 3 friends and fight other small groups in little skirmishes- this doesn’t add to the score, under the score system I feel like I’ wasting time and should be attackign keeps with everybody else. Remove the score and you remove this pressure and obsession with playing in a certain way- and free up a lot of new, much funner playstyles.

in Suggestions

Posted by: burei.7102

burei.7102

Agreed.

Seeing your score really low compared to the other servers is disheartening and just makes me ignore WvW.

If we have to keep bonuses, make them based on the structure, with each point giving a different bonus, and increasing depending on how much time the server holds that point (so a recently capture gives +1%, but something kept the whole day gives 10% or more).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ebax.1320

Ebax.1320

Agreed.

Seeing your score really low compared to the other servers is disheartening and just makes me ignore WvW.

If we have to keep bonuses, make them based on the structure, with each point giving a different bonus, and increasing depending on how much time the server holds that point (so a recently capture gives +1%, but something kept the whole day gives 10% or more).

I was just about to say this. Coming from one of the upper Wv3 servers, I do find it incredibly discouraging to see that Henge is whipping everyone AGAIN. Double disheartening to see that we’re hopelessly behind on the scoresheet. A territorial control pie-chart would probably send all the message you’d need.

Yes. The overpopulated worlds with oceanic and insomniac players would still stomp everyone at night, but the signs of that would be less present by midday. It wouldn’t set the mood for an entire week of combat, where a touch of nightcapping and orb-nabbing on day one basically assures victory for the rest of the week. If anything, the scores could just be “hidden” and only used by ANet for ranking and matchmaking.

I do like the bonuses, and they don’t hurt anyone at all because they’re implemented in PvE amongst all players in the world. A method like the guy I’m quoting would still preserve the sense of reward players get from capping and keeping buildings, just without the points.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Archvonbaron.7856

Archvonbaron.7856

I agree, they could make the towers, keeps and Stonemist provide the realm bonuses, similar to the ones provided by score, by capturing and holding them.

The score can still be calculated so they can continue to rank the servers and keep them fighting against similar ranked servers. It’s just not made public.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orangesky.7623

Orangesky.7623

I would love to see their would be World Points like Realmpoints. Which give us titles and gifts like in TPVP.

Please ARENANET make it more DAOC style.

Ty

in Suggestions

Orangesky.7623

we need long term motivation in WVW at this moment its pretty senseless..
Because if u like to play 1on1 or in small groups like me. WVW just gives u money to reapair things and buy food etc… The items you can buy for Badges of Honor are pretty useless…

in Suggestions

Posted by: mangarrage.1062

mangarrage.1062

I also agree that DAoC was my far the king of WvW but I think it is a little early to be taking about making changes to the system. We aren’t even done round 1 of real matches yet.
I am actually looking forward to how the matching system works going forward

The only thing they really need to do for WvW is close the transfers, which should have been closed when 2 week WvW started

in Suggestions

Orangesky.7623

They ll do the next day

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arcos.9134

Arcos.9134

I would love to see a Darkness Falls style dungeon available when winning in WvW!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Exactly, they also need to change the terrain, right now most of the fights happen in narrow spaces. which leads to zerg mentality, unlike in real life where, numbers dont count for anything in narrow spaces, this isn’t the case, numbers do count in a zerg fest.

It would all be rectified if they would open up the spaces, to allow people to flank and collide with massive groups from different sides instead of just front and back

something that DoaC’s RvR system accounts for.