WvW uses Red and Green as team colors? Really?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marbelos.1234

Marbelos.1234

In a game that has a zillion colors of dye, and is so sensitive to color in general, the developers could not think of a better choice of colors for the different teams in WvW besides Red and Green?

Why is that bad? Because red is heavily used in the game to denote hostile mobs, hostile players, hostile NPCs. And green is similarly used to denote friendlies. Oh wait, I’m on the Red Team…does that mean that’s the hostile enemy team, or my team? Red Team npcs are green to me and Green Team npcs are red to me.

What happened to Blue? Light Blue? Tan? Brown? Orange? Purple? Cyan or Magenta? Light Pink or Very Dark Green, even, but not the same primary-color red and green as is used in enemy/friend ID. What about Ebony / Stone / Salmon / Pottery? and all the other colors in the standard dye set?

Yes, I know, after using battlegrounds ad nauseum, this fades and you can get used to it. And yes, I’m aware of many other games that get this wrong. But it is a poor design choice. Just a little rant.

in Suggestions

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

Lol it confused me too at first.

Eventually I figured it out this way.

1. Enter WvW
  2. Kill anything with a red name
  3. Problem solved!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marbelos.1234

Marbelos.1234

That’s true, but that doesn’t help with the cognitive dissonance on the map, or when flipping from the map to the names back to the map.

It’s not a showstopper. I’m not threatening to quit the game, or even claiming it’s a critical bug. But I do think it was a cringe-worthy design choice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alfador.7649

Alfador.7649

Red, Green, Blue.

3 Primary Colors
3 Factions in WvW. Not sure what’s hard about it. If you’ve been playing videogames for more than a year you should already be coming to terms with these common color choices.

You list a lot of alternatives but they’re all intermediaries. I shouldn’t have to explain why this is a bad idea. There’s a reason everything important uses a primary color on it in reality. It’s clear and crisp and pops out from its surroundings.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

Cause straight up Red Vs Blue was taken

I don’t think they should switch colors and just have a constant “Red and Blue are enemies; Green is always your team.” (I can’t remember, but I think the color is based on the area your server starts in, right?)

I don’t know… green seems fine to me as a “this is your team” color for the score and stuff. It’s not very volatile, so its fairly easy to pick out as friendly team color.

They should probably change it so that whatever your server is, your servers color is always green (If they don’t already? lol idk). Seems pretty common sense to me and I don’t know why it would otherwise lol.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alfador.7649

Alfador.7649

Cause straight up Red Vs Blue was taken

I don’t think they should switch colors and just have a constant “Red and Blue are enemies; Green is always your team.” (I can’t remember, but I think the color is based on the area your server starts in, right?)

I don’t know… green seems fine to me as a “this is your team” color for the score and stuff. It’s not very volatile, so its fairly easy to pick out as friendly team color.

They should probably change it so that whatever your server is, your servers color is always green (If they don’t already? lol idk).

The map is specifically tied to the 3 different colors. It’s consistent in map illustration and marking in the game world.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i mean why dye the enemies red / blue / green when their names are already showing red?

i.e.
Fort Aspenwood Invaders
Crystal Desert Defenders

just show their original dyed colors.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alyssa.3419

Alyssa.3419

And here I was hoping this was going to be about color blindness…

in Suggestions

Posted by: thealienamongus.1968

thealienamongus.1968

@Alyssa: me too, Red–green colour blindness is the most common form of colour blindness affecting up to 10% of men.

in Suggestions

Alyssa.3419

Most studies I’ve looked at go only as high as: 5-6% for men, and 0.35-0.4% for women, for deuteranomaly (red-green weakness, to varying degrees) anyway. For full-on red-green colour blindness (deuteranopia), the percentage is only ~1% for men 0.1% for women.

(edited by Alyssa.3419)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

Honestly , I see their names first , not their color.

maybe im half blind or my monitor is too small , but takes me a while to actually notice the enemies color , all i know is , that is a target and it should be dead.

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in Suggestions

Posted by: Anduril.9025

Anduril.9025

Does anyone remember that green is not actually a primary color? It’s a combination of yellow and blue, which are the other two primary colors along with red.

I’m just sayin’

in Suggestions

Alyssa.3419

It’s actually a good bit more complex than that actually, but red, green, and blue are what the human eye detects to make other colors perceptible at any rate.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Anduril.9025

Anduril.9025

I stand (mostly) corrected :P

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amen.2630

Amen.2630

they should make,
yellow, blue, brown teams
and display they names in those colors,
so you can detect npcs easier from actual players and even detect which world you actually fighting against

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It should have been like in GW1’s PvP.

When you in red team, your name is red, your party health bars are red, and your look dyed red for your enemies.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in Suggestions

Posted by: SplinterXC.3219

SplinterXC.3219

the thing that sucks with the Red and Green is that i can’t tell the difference. i’m Red Green color blind so they look the same to me

“Don’t Blink. Blink and you’re dead. Don’t turn your
back. Don’t look away. And don’t Blink. Good Luck.”
~ The Doctor

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

What i would like is the posibility to have so every players name is the color of his world, so if your in the red team all red is your friends and all blue and green is enemys, that way if blue and green are fighting you se that not just a bunch off red as it is now.

And if you do like that then you can have the option to change colors, but that can be confusing, like you say pink is attacking God, that would be were confusion for the rest

(edited by Shadow.3475)

in Suggestions

Posted by: SplinterXC.3219

SplinterXC.3219

they could add something like a symbol above people’s head in WvW that represents their world, Each world has their own unique emblem for WvW so that people can quickly identify the enemy, all they look for are the symbols that aren’t theirs. they can turn off theirs to make it clear who are the enemy.

“Don’t Blink. Blink and you’re dead. Don’t turn your
back. Don’t look away. And don’t Blink. Good Luck.”
~ The Doctor

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xarog.3172

Xarog.3172

Actually I think A-net should give us the option to set the interface colour as we see fit.

I for one really struggle to pick up the distinction between red and green at short notice because I suffer from colourblindness.

In my case a white/blue colourscheme to distinguish friend from foe would work a LOT better for me. Other games have done this and there’s no reason why it couldn’t be done in GW2 as well.