WvWvW with Dragons to Balance 1 Server Control

in Suggestions

Posted by: Logan.1458

Logan.1458

I have been seeing some information on 1 server dominating 90 percent or more of the WvWvW maps. Now with the 1 week and soon to be 2 week matches it got me thinking what can be done to help deal with a Server which gain 90 percent of WvWvW control without feeling like winning server is being punished.

Solution is to use Dragons-

If a Sever Controls like 70-99 percent of all territories in WvWvW, Then there should be a Dynamic Event which spawns a Dragon(s) who attacks the area/forts which are controlled by the Sever who owns the 70-99 percent.

This will add challenge to the Server which has total control so their are not bored and the servers who are being dominated have a chance to fight back as the dominating Server has to deal with a few dragons.

Dragons are center around destruction in general so it attacks what ever is in it’s way and their focus are Orb locations and to cause chaos.

If the Dominating Server can hold onto their percentage and down dragons as wells as fix what it destroys then….they are a really good Server.

This mechanic would always keep things fresh and just imagine a Dragon just flying down and attacking the forts/castles and causing this chaos which is exciting and a challenge.

The Dragons would stay till they are destroyed.
If the Devs wanted to they could have the Dragon fly off and return hours later leading to a few fights.

Downing a Dragon should show up as some form of title to the Server or Achievement/ reward to the Players who do so there is an upside of having a Dragon appear when the WvWvW is being dominated by one Server.

Tell me what you think…

How could this be tweaked?

Also interested in feedback from Servers who are dominating and would they enjoy seeing this.

Edit:
One idea came to mind is that the Main Dragon attacks the center Castle Keep in Eternal Battle grounds since it splits up the map a bit. This Dragon if now killed will Fly off after a X number of minutes and then appear to land near a Fort/tower and move to cause destruction.

There needs to be a timer so the Dragon is not spending hours tearing up everything. Lets say after an hour the Dragon leaves unless its killed. The Dragon will reappear if the X factor is still present for the 1 Server Dominance .

Dragon could have stages where if HP pool drops to X level it flies off and return later to allow the Dragon to cause issues and tension. If the X factor in the 1 Server dominance is broken even if the Dragon is not killed then the Dragon just does not return till X number of hours/ ex 48 hours.

If the Dragon dies then there is a time X before it could come back even if the Server 1 still have a dominance of WvWvW.

I do like Jokael’s idea that the 1 Server control needs to be for a certain period of time like 72 hrs or what ever feels correct by the Devs.

Logan

(edited by Logan.1458)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rage The Numbers.7943

Rage The Numbers.7943

The players would allow the dragon to attack and destroy everything, then recap everything again for additional exp, karma, money. Why further reward a stacked server with additional gameplay…

Rage The Nornynorn – Guild Leader [RR] Reddit Refugees
Sanctum of Rall
http://www.reddit.com/r/Reddit_Refugees – Visit the site for Recruitment!

in Suggestions

Logan.1458

How would they recap it since the Fort would still be controlled by the dominating Server even if the Dragon burns it to the ground.

The Dragon attack would not remove the ownership of the Castle/fort. This means the controlling player would need to fix it with supplies.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rage The Numbers.7943

Rage The Numbers.7943

Ok, I see what you mean now, sorry.

Rage The Nornynorn – Guild Leader [RR] Reddit Refugees
Sanctum of Rall
http://www.reddit.com/r/Reddit_Refugees – Visit the site for Recruitment!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rounder.6703

Rounder.6703

Better Idea:

If server is completely dominating. Have random towers/keep’s Mutiny to the opposing sides if there are zero players defending it.

in Suggestions

Logan.1458

Better Idea:

If server is completely dominating. Have random towers/keep’s Mutiny to the opposing sides if there are zero players defending it.

The problem with Mutiny is, what are the control mechanics to determine one should arise?

You could use Zero Supplies in the the Castle/Fort? or getting no supplies from camps for a period of time with a combination of a low supply number in the Fort/castle.

The major issues with this is that the players can sabotage their server to help another one,..stuff you see in EVE Online.

Most Cases will be:
Players will simply either AFAK at fort as to keep this mutiny event from triggering or you will have shout matches where players will argue who should stay and blame each other if a mutiny happens. Or you will have EVE like tactics where the player say they will stay and then on purpose leave to make a mutiny happen just so their Guild on the other server can take advantage of the chaos.

The purpose of the Dragon-
The Dragon is something that players can’t control and the environment is being used as a form of check and balance. The Dragon is the dungeon master from D&D who says OK, going to shake things up and keep the players on their toes.

in Suggestions

Rounder.6703

Better Idea:

The problem with Mutiny is, what are the control mechanics to determine one should arise?

You could use Zero Supplies in the the Castle/Fort? or getting no supplies from camps for a period of time with a combination of a low supply number in the Fort/castle.

The major issues with this is that the players can sabotage their server to help another one,..stuff you see in EVE Online.

Most Cases will be:
Players will simply either AFAK at fort as to keep this mutiny event from triggering or you will have shout matches where players will argue who should stay and blame each other if a mutiny happens. Or you will have EVE like tactics where the player say they will stay and then on purpose leave to make a mutiny happen just so their Guild on the other server can take advantage of the chaos.

The purpose of the Dragon-
The Dragon is something that players can’t control and the environment is being used as a form of check and balance. The Dragon is the dungeon master from D&D who says OK, going to shake things up and keep the players on their toes.

I like the idea of a big dragon boss attacking a keep if there is a server imbalance, and mutiny’s happening at towers with zero supply and zero defenders (after 1 hour with zero supply OR zero defenders).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

Someone plays on Jade Quarry!

Not sure I like mixing even more PvE with PvP.

in Suggestions

Logan.1458

Someone plays on Jade Quarry!

Not sure I like mixing even more PvE with PvP.

PvE is already in WvWvW with creatures spawning and then there are NPCs , etc.

But I understand what your concern is- if this is used to often or is not properly balanced.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jokael.4168

Jokael.4168

I think this should not be limited to a dragon but any type of monster.

This monster should:

• only spawn randomly if one server controls 66%+ for 72hrs straight.
  • could actually be a group of monsters laying siege to multiple control points at the same time.
  • will despawn 5 minutes or so after the map is balanced again, if it is currently engaged and taking decent damage relative to it’s challange setting.
  • should not be a pushover for a zerg group, so it should have raid style scripting, thus requiring even more skill to kill. It should require siege weapons, be able to move out of range of siege weapons, or target and destroy siege weapons.
  • for anyone to be able to stand against this mob, they should have at the least an exotic set of gear and weapons to deal damage to it.
  • it should go to each minor control point(tower) first destroying it, including walls/gates/siege weapons/guards/etc… Then move onto the next in line until the leading server is more in line with the other 2 servers.
  • drop loot according to it’s challenge, so it could drop a piece of exotic/legendary, cash, karma and badges.
  • this mob could be a developer/gm ran event after they see things are out of hand for a particularn zone.

These should be so tough and unique that the reward should reflect that. This will create even a more competitive enviroment for top end players on servers.
This will require alot of play testing and should not go live until servers are pay to xfer.

(edited by Jokael.4168)

in Suggestions

Rounder.6703

Better IDEA!!!

The Dragon that spawns is controlled by an ArenaNet GM!!!!

This would put intelligence behind the controls of the dragon.

in Suggestions

Posted by: yandere.9176

yandere.9176

I like the idea, making things a bit more interesting even when server are poorly matched.

Desolation – Mistress of significance level

in Suggestions

Rounder.6703

Better Idea!!!

Have one of the losing servers be able to control the dragon that spawned

and the commander can ride on top of the dragon, granting him swiftness

in Suggestions

Logan.1458

@Rounder- love the image of Anet controlling the Dragon lol!

I agree that the Dragon should be a challenge.

One idea came to mind is that the Main Dragon attacks the center Castle Keep in Eternal Battle grounds since it splits up the map a bit. This Dragon if now killed will Fly off after a X number of minutes and then appear to land near a Fort/tower and move to cause destruction.

There needs to be a timer so the Dragon is not spending hours tearing up everything. Lets say after an hour the Dragon leaves unless its killed. The Dragon will reappear if the X factor is still present for the 1 Server Dominance .

Dragon could have stages where if HP pool drops to X level it flies off and return later to allow the Dragon to cause issues and tension. If the X factor in the 1 Server dominance is broken even if the Dragon is not killed then the Dragon just does not return till X number of hours/ ex 48 hours.

If the Dragon dies then there is a time X before it could come back even if the Server 1 still have a dominance of WvWvW.

I do like Jokael’s idea that the 1 Server control needs to be for a certain period of time like 72 hrs or what ever feels correct by the Devs.

As for Rounder’s idea on Mutiny, one issue i just thought about is,..what happens if there are no one on at night or very few?
Ex. A Server could go around and cut off supplies and end up actually triggering Mutiny all over the other server ?
Or players can cause a mutiny on purpose if the NPCs can hold control and the Server will take it back and get exp, gold and Karma—leading to Farming mutiny on their own locations. I personally say Mutiny Feature has to many ways a faction of players could end up exploiting and farm.

in Suggestions

Rounder.6703

@Rounder- love the image of Anet controlling the Dragon lol!

I agree that the Dragon should be a challenge.

As for Rounder’s idea on Mutiny, one issue i just thought about is,..what happens if there are no one on at night or very few?
Ex. A Server could go around and cut off supplies and end up actually triggering Mutiny all over the other server ?
Or players can cause a mutiny on purpose if the NPCs can hold control and the Server will take it back and get exp, gold and Karma—leading to Farming mutiny on their own locations. I personally say Mutiny Feature has to many ways a faction of players could end up exploiting and farm.

The dragon idea is so awesomely epic.

I think the dragon shouldn’t be automated… it should be controlled by a GM only when 1 side is completely dominating a 2 week match

The GM could go and even the odds by controlling the dragon.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

I think they could fix it by making a variable population cap by which the largest side can only be ~20% bigger than the smallest side….but the dragon idea is definitely a more hands-on approach lol

in Suggestions

Rounder.6703

I think they could fix it by making a variable population cap by which the largest side can only be ~20% bigger than the smallest side….but the dragon idea is definitely a more hands-on approach lol

population caps = kittens

dragons = epic