ground targeting mouse snap to target

in Suggestions

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Could the mouse pointer optionally be made to snap to my selected target when ground targeted skills?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Maybe just an option that ground targeted skills hit on the target. I am not coordinated enough to be able to place these skills without 1) stop moving 2) bring my mouse to the target 3) hit the skill. It takes a second or two and brings combat to a halt while doing this. I can see that some would prefer to set them at sites other than the target, but having it as an option would be nice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

that would greatly improve things for some of us… where do i sign?

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seraki.2753

Seraki.2753

Yes the ground target thing is really a bummer. When I was in the pre-order beta I actually reported it as a bug because it felt like one. AE around a target would be so much better! With the AE being ether placed on the ground [eats up time and often target moves before your done] or auto placed via where your mouse is pointing [making hot bar click impossible unless you like being the target area], it makes the game look like its designed for fancy multi button peripherals for people who use mouse look as an invisible target marker only.

Bleh! So yes target as AE marker for these would be simply awesome!

in Suggestions

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

or auto placed via where your mouse is pointing [making hot bar click impossible unless you like being the target area]

There is another way, with ground targeting enabled, to make you the target area.

Simply mouse over the target info area up top, and the circle will snap back below your toons feet. I wonder how many necro staff marks i have wasted that way during larger events…

in Suggestions

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

And option to switch this at each skill would be nice…

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

in Suggestions

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

The problem I see with this is that since mobs are often moving when you want to cast it, if you cast it centered on where they are now by the time it lands they’re usually nearly out of it’s effect area. So it’s usually better to lead the target so they walk through the whole thing.

What I’ve found to be really useful is that if you double tap the key for a ground targeting skill it casts it wherever the mouse is (this even works while holding down right click to pan camera, say while kiting and such), you just keep the curser in the right area and tap tap, sometimes I don’t even see the green circle. With the right curser placement I can keep circling my target without having to stop to left click to cast (because if you’re holding down right mouse so you can circle left click just moves you forward) while still dropping all my AoE/ground target stuff right on his head.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

“Fast cast ground targeting” in options will also automatically target ground effects on the mouse cursor, as if you’d double-tapped the skill.

in Suggestions

ScribeTheMad.7614

This is very true, I can’t believe I didn’t realize that was pretty much the same thing. Still, with that option off you can tap once, adjust your aim, then tap again to cast
I still like my way more :P

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

“Fast cast ground targeting” in options will also automatically target ground effects on the mouse cursor, as if you’d double-tapped the skill.

This is true, but my mouse cursor is rarely visible since I hold down the right mouse button while I play. My camera is always in motion while I’m in motion. If I use the fast cast ground targeting option, the skills go off in some random location since the cursor is in the last location it was before I started holding down the right mouse button.

I like the OP’s suggestion since it simply adds options for the player. As was mentioned above, having ground effect skills go off at the target location isn’t always best, since you often have to lead your target or be more strategic about effect placement. That’s why the option to have effects on target should be optional. That way players who are nimble with the mouse and can place those AoE targets without losing combat momentum can keep things the way they are. But others can opt to sacrifice a bit of strategic placement in exchange for effects going off at the target location with less mouse manipulation.

in Suggestions

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Eeek. I can understand why some people might want this. But as an Elementalist there are a lot of situations where I use ground target skills on enemies that aren’t my target so that I can work on taking down large areas at once >.>

I have one small tip. Always keep your mouse in the very centre of the screen, that way, even when you are using it for camera control, your ground target skills will always be in the middle of the screen and all you have to do is look at the enemy you want to target with them. I find this works really well and actually makes battle a lot easier.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

This is true, but my mouse cursor is rarely visible since I hold down the right mouse button while I play.

Unfortunately for you, and many others, the game was designed for you to adjust the camera with the q/e keys during combat.
A lot’s been expected of the hand dealing with the keyboard. XD

Hopefully, they’ll allow rebinding of the right-click sometime soon.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Unfortunately for you, and many others, the game was designed for you to adjust the camera with the q/e keys during combat.
A lot’s been expected of the hand dealing with the keyboard. XD

Hopefully, they’ll allow rebinding of the right-click sometime soon.

Sounds like I need to grow a few extra fingers for my left hand.

in Suggestions

ScribeTheMad.7614

@FlamingFoxx.1305
Yeah, being able to deal damage in multiple directions at once is supremely helpful. If they made this an option though the people who want it could use it without impacting us

@Orion Templar.4589
Haha, yeah, my left hand definitely could use a few extra fingers. My hand feels like it’s practically tap dancing on the keyboard sometimes XD

in Suggestions

Posted by: eternistarr.6304

eternistarr.6304

So how about if both mouse keys are clicked down then the aoe goes of on your target and if your cursor is visible/movable it goes off where its pointed. My problem is I use the mouse to move so having to stop adjust and lay down an attack sucks. Fractles fire level especially because ya burst into flames -_-.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adzija.5287

Adzija.5287

I would like an option to have the mouse cursor visible when holding the right mouse button.

In more hectic fights where you need to move a lot it’s hard to keep track of cursor if it goes invisible whenever I press RMB. Combine that with all 5 attacks being ground target aoe and sometimes the attacks go in directions you didn’t want in first place.

Having option to always see cursor would help at least a bit.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

With that in mind, can we have an easier to see mouse cursor? It all but vanishes in combat amongst all the fancy affects…

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Indeed – unfortunately, my mouse cursor is rarely where I need it to be when using AoE. which makes me feel like I lack at least one pair of hands…
I just can’t compete with grenadier-mobs because I have difficulty moving, aiming and selecting the correct skills at the same time, seeing as I need two hands for moving + skill selection and another one to aim. Having really small hands doesn’t exactly help…

Polka will never die

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tyr.7890

Tyr.7890

Yes the ground target thing is really a bummer. When I was in the pre-order beta I actually reported it as a bug because it felt like one. AE around a target would be so much better! With the AE being ether placed on the ground [eats up time and often target moves before your done] or auto placed via where your mouse is pointing [making hot bar click impossible unless you like being the target area], it makes the game look like its designed for fancy multi button peripherals for people who use mouse look as an invisible target marker only.

Bleh! So yes target as AE marker for these would be simply awesome!

I’m not sure if this is wise as it will actually teach players bad habits and be a permanent handicap to skilled play. Please note, I’m not trying to sound elitist here, I’m coming from similar feelings from past MMOs. I used to be a player that clicked the hot bar and keyboard turned. I strongly suggest you rebind A and D to strafe, and set key bindings for everything other than 1-5 (shift+1-5, shift+Q,W,E,R etc) There will certainly be a learning curve to the matter, but you will be raising your potential in all computer gaming being able to more strategically control yourself

As for needing fancy peripherals, Guild Wars 2 actually requires far less bindings and action bar management than other games (this is a good thing really). I play on a regular keyboard and a mouse with only two extra buttons (forward and back for internet browsing). Granted the two mouse buttons are amazing in almost every game and when they can be used with modifiers (shift, alt, ctrl) it really adds potential.

P.S. Trust me on this, it WILL feel wrong and inconvenient for a few days at least, but it WILL make you better at the game.