in Suggestions

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

I was looking for this myself…

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

People are afraid this will breed a community that subjugates others for not wearing the “right” equipment. I somewhat agree with that, because I’ve seen it happen.

At the same time I hate asking someone, “What is that [insert equipment here]” only to find out they’re afk or just ignoring me, or missed the tell. If mousing over inventory of an inspected person only showed you the name of the item in white or some other color not associated with its quality I would be all for it. The name is all I want to know anyway.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sabertooth.2374

Sabertooth.2374

People are afraid this will breed a community that subjugates others for not wearing the “right” equipment. I somewhat agree with that, because I’ve seen it happen.

At the same time I hate asking someone, “What is that [insert equipment here]” only to find out they’re afm or just ignoring me, or missed the tell. If mousing over inventory of an inspected person only showed you the name of the item in white or some other color not associated with its quality I would be all for it. The name is all I want to know anyway.

thats fair, after all we can see what the armor looks like anyway, names are all that we need

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

I’ll give you that…

Personally I like to browse other players’ gear when I’m just standing around (like in the city) or if something catches my eye.

I think that culture of telling others what they “need” to have is more of an elitist guild / raiding thing.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

no; for two reasons.

1: Some people like to keep their builds a secret
2: People will inspect your gear for a preference in dungeons

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kodesh.2019

Kodesh.2019

Whispering people gives the game more community feeling. I always whisper people and ask them and they are all friendly

I am with Folk on this one. It will breed elitism. People who inspect may laugh and approach the person to correct them. As it currently is people need to be inquisitive and that breeds a healthy conversation not out right mockery and rejection (from dungeons, ect)

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Retrospek.4583

Retrospek.4583

I was talking with some friends about this the other night, and I understand the pros and cons, and think we had a way to fix both problems:

By default the option is to always allow someone to inspect your gear. Once the “So and so requested to view your gear” box popups, you can say “Always allow” or “Never allow” or simply Yes this time/No this time.

When someone inspects your armor, the box then pops up (unless they have already changed the default) and either allows or disallows based on the players response. This option could also be toggled at any time (for instance, it’s auto-turned off in Dungeons and WvW).

Edit – As for the Elitism thing, it can be achieved now. As a party leader, I could require everyone in group to link their gear and kick them if they refuse or don’t meet my requirement. And for the record, no I don’t agree with the Elite attitude, that’s why we try to keep our guild small and friendly with just enough to run dungeons and events on our own.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

no; for two reasons.

Whispering people gives the game more community feeling. I always whisper people and ask them and they are all friendly

I am with Folk on this one. It will breed elitism. People who inspect may laugh and approach the person to correct them. As it currently is people need to be inquisitive and that breeds a healthy conversation not out right mockery and rejection (from dungeons, ect)

Which is why I added the suggestion to only show the name of the gear and not its stats in a single consistent color so you can’t even tell the quality of the gear. The main reason to inspect anyone in this game isn’t to see their stats, but to find out what the appearance of the item is incase you want to transmute it.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Folk.2093

no; for two reasons.

Which is why I added the suggestion to only show the name of the gear and not its stats in a single consistent color so you can’t even tell the quality of the gear. The main reason to inspect anyone in this game isn’t to see their stats, but to find out what the appearance of the item is incase you want to transmute it.

They’d have to filter out a portion of the name as well since if someone links Berserker’s “insert name here” of the Berserker I’m going to know the stats.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

I disagree on this, it just brings elitism into GW2 and we already have some sort of elitism due to AR.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Ragnarok Online has this and a series of check boxes to prevent abuse.

GW2’s system would be like this below:

[ ] Allow inspecting from everyone.*
[ ] Allow inspecting only from people I know (gw2 contacts: followers and friends).
[ ] Allow inspecting only from people that both know me and I know myself (both you and person must have each other on contacts not just followers).
[ ] Disallow all inspection.
*excludes ignore/blocked list.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

(edited by Yumiko Ishida.3769)

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

if this were in effect I’d already be trolling your prying eyes. I transmuted my gear and the name and stats no longer match! take that!

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Charismatic Harm.9683

Charismatic Harm.9683

I think this would be OK if it were the name of the skin only. Anything beyond that would breed elitism and increase discrimination.

Guild: Member of Charter Vanguard [CV]
Logic will never win an argument on the forums…..only a sense of entitlement will.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kodesh.2019

Kodesh.2019

They’d have to filter out a portion of the name as well since if someone links Berserker’s “insert name here” of the Berserker I’m going to know the stats.

Exactly what Folk says. but even worse.. you’d need to remove the suffix too because then you would need the rune.

Also, if you see the name you would still know the quality. Draconic armor is only exotic, it’s never masterwork or rare…

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: DryHumour.1307

DryHumour.1307

It’s currently really tedious to send someone your full build. As many have suggested an opt-in inspect would solve that problem.

We already have gear-checks anyway — e.g. fractals groups often require you to prove you have AR. That particular part of human behaviour has already found a way to route around the artificial barrier. It’s only those of us who want to share our builds who are inconvenienced.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

And…. no one considers my idea a great idea! So much for logic here and all tinfoil hats only nonsense!

The whole transmuting is the true problem as my gear is Exotic Soldier’s (orr karma and AC dungeon) Power/Vit/Toughness, and is carrion still in the name and exotic color. Its the Winged skin.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Ragnarok Online has this and a series of check boxes to prevent abuse.

GW2’s system would be like this below:

[ ] Allow inspecting from everyone.*
[ ] Allow inspecting only from people I know (gw2 contacts: followers and friends).
[ ] Allow inspecting only from people that both know me and I know myself (both you and person must have each other on contacts not just followers).
[ ] Disallow all inspection.
*excludes ignore/blocked list.

Agree. If you want certain player group or individiuals to insepct your gear then you have the right.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Never…. EVER…. should this be promoted. We live in a world where we need to foster inclusivity, tolerance, and community. A video game should not promote or reward exclusivity, period! Especially in the United States where narcissism is on an rapidly escalating high.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

btw…. I’ve never asked my group or individual to verify their AR or any gear. I have faith in them and run the run. Then adapting to the needs of the run by bringing in extra gear/supplies to accommodate any needs that may arise.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

DryHumour.1307

Never…. EVER…. should this be promoted. We live in a world where we need to foster inclusivity, tolerance, and community. A video game should not promote or reward exclusivity, period! Especially in the United States where narcissism is on an rapidly escalating high.

As I’ve pointed out, for gear checks, it’s already too late. Human behaviour is what it is.

Let’s at least make it easy for those of us who want to share. If you don’t want to, opt out: that’s the whole point of providing choice.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

As I’ve pointed out, for gear checks, it’s already too late. Human behaviour is what it is.

Let’s at least make it easy for those of us who want to share. If you don’t want to, opt out: that’s the whole point of providing choice.

You can share anything you want by talking; if someone wants to know your gear/build, is it that much trouble to type a few words and shift+click your gear? Have a conversation with someone about it, god forbid anyone actually talk to anyone. Regardless of what extent it happens at, the elitism and and desire to exclude players would imcrease. No to inspections, just ask.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

inspect other players

in Suggestions

DryHumour.1307

You can share anything you want by talking; if someone wants to know your gear/build, is it that much trouble to type a few words and shift+click your gear? Have a conversation with someone about it, god forbid anyone actually talk to anyone. Regardless of what extent it happens at, the elitism and and desire to exclude players would imcrease. No to inspections, just ask.

Have you ever done it? More than once? It’s extremely tedious to paste/type your full build (all armour, all weapons, all accessories, all traits, all utilities). It’s equally tedious for the recipient to digest it in that form.

The elitism already exists. (Apparently in both camps.)

inspect other players

in Suggestions

xCrusadentx.2784

Have you ever done it? More than once? It’s extremely tedious to paste/type your full build (all armour, all weapons, all accessories, all traits, all utilities). It’s equally tedious for the recipient to digest it in that form.

The elitism already exists. (Apparently in both camps.)

So your solution is to feed elitism further? By implementing the idea, you’re sending a message saying its ok to be that elitist and kick people who don’t have what you want, as you are giving them tools to do it and making it quicker and easier for them to do so. Don’t add fuel to the fire. So what if typing your info is tedious? You can still do it regardless. Like I said, learn to communicate with others who are interested in how you play.

Royal Blood Oath:

inspect other players

in Suggestions

DryHumour.1307

So what if typing your info is tedious?

That’s not really much of a counter argument, is it? Perhaps you’d be better off to provide some evidence for your assertion that moving the bar will materially change the behaviour of otherwise good and reasonable people who wouldn’t have checked before anyway — since the gear checkers will check regardless.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

xCrusadentx.2784

So what if typing your info is tedious?

That’s not really much of a counter argument, is it? Perhaps you’d be better off to provide some evidence for your assertion that moving the bar will materially change the behaviour of otherwise good and reasonable people who wouldn’t have checked before anyway — since the gear checkers will check regardless.

Sorry, please tell me where I said it will change people’s mindsets? I said that it promotes the elitist idea; it says that its ok to be elitist and to prove it we’re giving you the tool of inspection to make it faster and easier to kick those who don’t fit your standards. Also, you make the assumption that this would have no impact on the community; I’d like to see your evidence to prove it won’t.

Royal Blood Oath:

inspect other players

in Suggestions

DryHumour.1307

Sorry, please tell me where I said it will change people’s mindsets? I said that it promotes the elitist idea

Err, right there: “… promotes the elitist idea”. By definition, “to promote” something indicates an effort to modify behaviour. There would be no need to promote something which was universally accepted.

My argument was entirely based on your own observation: that those who aren’t elitist aren’t going to ask anyway. Raising or lowering the bar shouldn’t have any impact on those who are agreed to the social contract to begin with.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Sabertooth.2374

Look, i thought of this idea because i think it will be better than bothering people who are just trying to play the game, i dont know where all this copying or “elitism” came from but most of the gear i would like to inspect is heavy and i wear medium so there is no chance of me copying

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

thats fair, after all we can see what the armor looks like anyway, names are all that we need

Hey here is an idea!!!

Go to the to the heart of the mist. Inside the HotM is a PVP Locker open the locker and look inside. Right click any item you want and preview the item. Learn the name of the item you like. Profit.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Folk.2093

as a frequent fractaler (that’s a word right?) I have yet had anyone ask me to verify my AR. Though I have seen some people directly link their ascended gear as they joined group.

it’s hardly tedious though

[shift] click, click, click, click; enter.

or cntl; click, click, click..

if you create the option to allow people to view gear I think it may end up being one those things that’s not forced but is; if that makes any sense.

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

sometimes i want to know what gear or weapons another player has

then ask . I’m more than happy to tell you what skin it is or where i got it if i remember. Inspection however is something I’ll pass on .

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

You have got to love this community. I said, right from the start, the one problem people would have is the elitism issue. But I also knew that rather than find a reasonable way around it they would either say, “you can’t have this because this will be a thing,” or, “what’s wrong with you, you already have a less effective method of doing this, why do you want something better?”

Is it really so difficult to crawl out of your shell for a moment and try to see how it could work without clinging to insignificant worries that can be avoided while still moving forward?

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Sabertooth.2374

Adine,
like i said

Look, i thought of this idea because i think it will be better than bothering people who are just trying to play the game, i dont know where all this copying or “elitism” came from but most of the gear i would like to inspect is heavy and i wear medium so there is no chance of me copying

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hell Hex.7039

Hell Hex.7039

+1 i dont want this to be add to the game..

inspect other players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

There is NO reason to not have gear inspect….
…as long as there is an option on your character to disable full inspect, and only reveal skins

Gear elitism is already in place where it counts (hight fracts and dungeons like arah, or speedruns). If you dont link the gear, you get kicked, and this option would change nothing in that.

Most of the content dont need specific gear, and people are aware of that. Only exception is magic find gear, and NO ONE should be excused to use it outside of guild/friend groups

(edited by Aegis.9724)