[merged] Level 20 Scroll --> +20 Level Scroll?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

the problem here is, they added an item that is given to everyone upon every 5k AP points & once your characters reach 1 year old (multiple characters multiple scrolls) which is useless to alot of people now and sooner or later becomes useless to everyone unless your constantly adding new classes/races to the game which i highly doubt is going to happen.

if it was changed to a +20 levels item, people wouldnt have a problem with it, because you can still use it on a level 80 for skill points if indeed you dont have any alts.

it’s not that strong an item anyhow, again everyone gets these things, they are extremely limited (remember this is a once a year thing besides the Apoints) and it’s nothing 2 crafting proffesions to level 400 wont get you within 30 minutes of crafting.

in Suggestions

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I wonder if a create a new character if I use the level 20 scroll then craft to give that character level 20 armor making it a level 40 if I can play the personal story to 80?

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I wouldn’t mind it being changed to +20 levels.

In the meantime, I’m banking it until they release a new profession or race.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

Imagine what will the side effect be if anet put a +20 levels on the gem store.. for maybe.. 1000gems..

in Suggestions

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

If most people have all their alts above 20, what good would the scroll be? You have to look at it from the monetization perspective……to entice you into buying more toon slots from the Gem Store. In the end, it’s all about the $$$.

What good is that if someone has no desire to level another character?

And if I want to level my lvl 25 character only, how would restarting him to use the scroll help lol.

Not sure you got the point of my post. My point being, they are trying to entice us to buy more toon slots. Key word….“entice”.

Except if you have no desire ever to create a new character then that won’t entice you at all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Imagine what will the side effect be if anet put a +20 levels on the gem store.. for maybe.. 1000gems..

Leveling 2 craft proffessions is far cheaper lol.

The 1000 gem option would be good for the convenience though.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

makes me wonder if they are preparing to release a new race

Gunnar’s Hold

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This level 20 scroll is so useful on my 1 year old character, he only made it to level 10 in 1 year.

said no1 ever

Hmm, I have been here since beta and six of my characters are right around level 10.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

1. not correct, you get more xp at the beginning (multiplicator for several xp sources of 2 that decreases slowly to 1)… the time needed to level up will constant somewhere after level 20…
2. why 20 levels? why not ~160k exp for free? that is the amount you would need to get from level 2 to 20… when you are level 80 that would be ~60% of the level…
3. when your parents would give you a car for free would you nag until you get a Ferrari/Porsche? If “it should bump a player 20 levels…” then it would work that way…
4. it’s a FREE coupon (“earned” by playing the game, but they don’t need to give us those…) and of course Anet tries to sell more character slots… use it, save it or throw it away…
5. Would be unfair if it would be changed since many players used 1-? scrolls already… maybe they wouldn’t have used another way if it would have been working your way…

/no

Wat

It should just give 20 levels regardless of level, this games leveling system is the same after about level 20.

The first 20 levels are actually the hardest levels, so it makes no sense that they are the ones granted since most veteran’s players alts are already past level 20.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

It’s patently obvious why it’s an upto lvl 20 and not a straight + 20 scroll. Anet wants you to start alts. If you have an alt at 20+ you’re more likely to actually take on the lvling process all the way up to 80 than if you had to start at 1. They want you to commit to levelling alts as it keeps you in the game and, potentially, spending gems. If it was a straight +20 lvls then it would just make it quicker for folks to complete lvling their alts, get bored an move on.

A smart move by Anet, don’t expect them to change these scrolls any time soon, if ever.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

(edited by Rhaps.8540)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

I’d honestly buy a gemstore item that gives me a character with ALL waypoints unlocked.

in Suggestions

Posted by: EpicHedgehog.1754

EpicHedgehog.1754

+1 to the OP, ArenaNet PLEASE make them +20 levels, or at least let us put them in the mmystic forge + some crystals + sone lodestones (or whatever) = + 20 levels xp scroll, pleeeaseee

I wonder why Anet put that scroll into the higher achievement points. I mean, if you have that many achievement points, you probably already have a ton of classes at level 20+ anyway. But yeah, I agree. It’s completely useless to me.

Not really. I have 4100~ AP, and only have 2 characters. I’ve played since release. It would be very useful if I decide to roll another in the near future. I do not like leveling at all, so anything that reduces time spent leveling is good.

you are one of the 1% who needs that scrolls

Not good at english ^^

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

I completely agree. The current birthday presents are a huge letdown and changing the levelling scroll would only be for the better.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LolAsdOmgAfk.8256

LolAsdOmgAfk.8256

Lev 20 scrolls as a gift to a 1 year old character. 1 scroll to each character! Someone is kidding us.

in Suggestions

EpicHedgehog.1754

Lev 20 scrolls as a gift to a 1 year old character. 1 scroll to each character! Someone is kidding us.

I’m starting to think thar anet is just trolling us and will give us the real presents later

Not good at english ^^

in Suggestions

Posted by: LolAsdOmgAfk.8256

LolAsdOmgAfk.8256

I’m starting to think thar anet is just trolling us and will give us the real presents later

I hope so! lol

in Suggestions

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think it’s an indirect response to all the people saying it would be really nice if once you’ve gotten a character to level 80 you could skip the levelling process on new ones you create because it’s boring to go through it all again.

It’s not directly related to the level of your current characters but as many people have pointed out anyone who can get a scroll is likely to already have at least 1 level 80. It also doesn’t let you skip the entire levelling process, but it lets you skip the first 1/4 and immediately unlock a large chunk of your skills and trait points.

Personally I won’t be using it on any of my current characters (2 of them are under level 20) because I created them specifically to play through the levelling process. But I will use it when I create random alts to try the different personal story options. I don’t want to do the whole levelling process just to see the story, and this way I can skip straight to 20 and then probably gain a few more levels while I go through the first part of the story, and only have to worry about levelling later on.

Having said that I do agree that a scroll which can be used by any character would be better. Maybe since every level requires the same amount of experience they could have made one which gives 20 levels worth of experience. If you’re below level 80 it bumps you up 20 levels (or however many you have left) and gives you the associated trait and skill points. If you’re already level 80 you just get 20 skill points. Which still wouldn’t be anything much, but at least it’d be something everyone could use.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sobat.8650

Sobat.8650

Only if it was soul-bound to the specific birthday character.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

Add more time gated content, get massive negative feedback from multi-character community, release item to entice alt creation… What?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Well it occurred to me that there have been a number of people complaining that the game is not alt friendly and leveling is boring etc.

This gift makes me wonder if Anet has seen in their metrics that there’s an unusually large amount of people who have a level 80 and then a few low levels. Just yesterday I saw this picture on the forum. Some guy asking about the colouring on his armour. I saw he had 5 toons…1 level 80 and the rest under level 10…3 of them were level 2 I think.

Maybe that happens a lot more and that would explain their attempt to bring a lot of characters up to level 20 at least. Perhaps hey wanted to revitalise alts a bit. Of course there are also players here who didn’t need that…oh well, same gift for everyone, whether you want it or not.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

Meh, well in the end I honestly wish these items didn’t exist at all.

Levels in this game are already nearly worthless, with this item it just makes them even more pointless. If they made it +20 levels (which I think makes more sense anyway) then levels would really be totally worthless.

I have two of these, I’d be able to instantly get +40 levels to a character, making me pretty much not need to play him at all.

in Suggestions

Pennry.9215

Well it occurred to me that there have been a number of people complaining that the game is not alt friendly and leveling is boring etc.

This gift makes me wonder if Anet has seen in their metrics that there’s an unusually large amount of people who have a level 80 and then a few low levels. Just yesterday I saw this picture on the forum. Some guy asking about the colouring on his armour. I saw he had 5 toons…1 level 80 and the rest under level 10…3 of them were level 2 I think.

Maybe that happens a lot more and that would explain their attempt to bring a lot of characters up to level 20 at least. Perhaps hey wanted to revitalise alts a bit. Of course there are also players here who didn’t need that…oh well, same gift for everyone, whether you want it or not.

They already have the XP rewards adjusted to make the first ten levels faster than any other ten levels. They already have five simple 1-15 zones, plus six cities, to get ahead of the curve of the higher content. I’m ignoring the impact crafting on has on “playing” a character while it levels.

I don’t think free levels in any game is a good idea, especially in one like GW2 where leveling is already so simple. If anything, I’d go more for just a skill points item.

in Suggestions

Gehenna.3625

They already have the XP rewards adjusted to make the first ten levels faster than any other ten levels. They already have five simple 1-15 zones, plus six cities, to get ahead of the curve of the higher content. I’m ignoring the impact crafting on has on “playing” a character while it levels.

I don’t think free levels in any game is a good idea, especially in one like GW2 where leveling is already so simple. If anything, I’d go more for just a skill points item.

I didn’t say it was a good idea, but I do wonder what could’ve moved them to give people an item like this. The only thing I can think of is that there are a lot of abandoned low level alts.

in Suggestions

Pennry.9215

I didn’t say it was a good idea, but I do wonder what could’ve moved them to give people an item like this. The only thing I can think of is that there are a lot of abandoned low level alts.

It actually fits in with their whole “play how you want” bit with people creating and playing more than one class and/or race. It’s a “you’ve played this character for a whole year, how about trying out another?” However, it contradicts their movement toward time-gating.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Levels in this game are already nearly worthless, with this item it just makes them even more pointless. If they made it +20 levels (which I think makes more sense anyway) then levels would really be totally worthless.

I have two of these, I’d be able to instantly get +40 levels to a character, making me pretty much not need to play him at all.

So you only play a character until they get to level 80, then stop?

It’s your choice of course but that would be very unusual. For a lot of people it’s the complete opposite – they want to get levelling out of the way as quickly as possible so they can focus on whatever they created that character for.

I don’t necessarily agree with that approach, I enjoy levelling and I think it’s a big part of the game and a good way to get to know and develop your character. But I think those are the people this item is aimed at and if you go completely the other way you have to bear in mind that you’re an exception and a lot of things aimed at other players won’t make sense to you.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Suggestions

Gehenna.3625

It actually fits in with their whole “play how you want” bit with people creating and playing more than one class and/or race. It’s a “you’ve played this character for a whole year, how about trying out another?” However, it contradicts their movement toward time-gating.

You wouldn’t need a scroll to skip the first twenty levels if people generally enjoy leveling a toon. Apparently that’s not the case or at least not as much as Anet would like to see.

So, what’s cheaper…making leveling more fun or giving people a scroll to skip the first 20 levels….?

I dunno. Since I deleted my original characters and made a couple of new ones 3 weeks ago, I guess a lot of people who do get the scrolls, probably are the ones who would use it least. I find that ironic.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

Only if it was soul-bound to the specific birthday character.

Yeah, this would be a great compromise.

I do have 2-3 alts I haven’t touched yet though they’ve been sitting there since launch day, so the current scrolls are only partially useless for me. A couple of alts have already inched past level 20 over the months, through crafting or occasional breaks from my mains, so the scrolls are no good for them.

So much of the game design is not alt-friendly that it seems an odd move to lock it down this way. Even stuff like only buying one instance of a skin from the gemstore instead of unlocking the skin across your account.

in Suggestions

Gehenna.3625

It seems to me it would’ve made more sense if characters got random mini’s like in GW1 and that they should’ve given every account, regardless of age, a scroll to entice people to use an alt.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I agree, i would prefer it to give Levels or just XP, all the characters i currently want are all above Level 20 so when i get this it will be useless and will be dumped in the Bank in the whole of a new class coming out.

If they dont want to do 20levels, maybe it should give say 254,000XP instead? that would be equal to one whole level at level 80 and could be used on characters below 80 but above 20

in Suggestions

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

If most people have all their alts above 20, what good would the scroll be? You have to look at it from the monetization perspective……to entice you into buying more toon slots from the Gem Store. In the end, it’s all about the $$$.

And if I want to level my lvl 25 character only, how would restarting him to use the scroll help lol.

Not sure you got the point of my post. My point being, they are trying to entice us to buy more toon slots. Key word….“entice”.

Except if you have no desire ever to create a new character then that won’t entice you at all.

LOL, that’s exactly the purpose. To get you to do it where you otherwise might not.

Let’s say your friend wants to go to the movies and you don’t want to. Your friend might try to entice you by offering to buy you popcorn and a soda. Entice means to persuade with promises of something.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Assassin X.8573

Assassin X.8573

Agreed. Would prefer a +20 level compared to a 0-20 lvl scroll. I only have two classes left not lvl 80 and they are both over level 20, so this doesn’t help me at all. Just wasting apace in my inventory/bank ATM.

Darkhaven Gold Tiger Assassin X [JPGN][Sold][VII]
Videos on Youtube

in Suggestions

EpicHedgehog.1754

So they moved the topic, but still no reply about the birthday presents from ANET, I hope they are still thinking about how to make it useful for everyone, i’ll look forward this topic with hope.

Not good at english ^^

in Suggestions

Posted by: Goomby.9302

Goomby.9302

So?

Come on people – when you get a coupon for $10 off a meal, you KNOW you can just walk in to the place and demand $10 for it.

Don’t pretend this thing is more than it is… or that nearby restaurants are about to start showering you with money.

So how about for your next birthday, someone gives you a coupon for 25% off a meal at a restaurant you can’t even eat at. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NIKE!

in Suggestions

Posted by: psyckos.6893

psyckos.6893

LOL, that’s exactly the purpose. To get you to do it where you otherwise might not.

Let’s say your friend wants to go to the movies and you don’t want to. Your friend might try to entice you by offering to buy you popcorn and a soda. Entice means to persuade with promises of something.

HAHA! I counter with why would I need a popcorn and a soda when I just paid for a very filling dinner? I understand the definition of entice and I’m saying, for those of us with characters of every profession that are already past level 20, this scroll cannot possibly entice us to skip the work we have already done! I believe the word you are looking for is “trick.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Souff.2671

Souff.2671

I suggest a new forge recipe.

Experience Scroll + Eldritch Scroll + 100 Obsidian Shards + 100 Mystic Coins
= Superior Experience Scroll (+20 Level Scroll)

I’m not an english speaker. So my english is super poor. Very SOrry!

in Suggestions

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I really hate it to break it to some of you, but not every item is going to be useful to you. Just because it’s useless to you, doesn’t mean it’s useless for everyone. It’s useful for me, and my situation is hardly atypical. Get that mass of organic material located behind your eyes working (yea, I know it’s hard) and realize such scenarios are entirely possible.

It’s not supposed to be that useful. It’s supposed to be a minor convenience. If it were anything but, then people would cry about being excluded. (Oh, I’m at a disadvantage because I started late)

Just because it doesn’t fit your playstyle, doesn’t mean it was a mistake. It would be like complaining about getting pvp skins and boosters when you don’t actually pvp. Get over yourselves.

All you people needed to suggest was that it should increase a few levels for characters over 20. That’s pretty much the end of the story.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

This scroll is awful. I only play on one character, and he has been level 80 for a long while. +20 levels would be better, +20 WvW ranks would be excellent.

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

Why are some of you against a character reaching the level cap immediately? How is that hurting your play experience?

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

in Suggestions

Faowri.4159

I really hate it to break it to some of you, but not every item is going to be useful to you.

Is there a genuinely good reason for it not to be useful to everyone, though? I can’t think of one.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I really hate it to break it to some of you, but not every item is going to be useful to you.

Is there a genuinely good reason for it not to be useful to everyone, though? I can’t think of one.

Actually no when the purpose of the item falls outside a ocean of unlimited wants. The item was built with the (slightly added convenience) purpose of getting you to roll a completely new character. It was most likely figured out that the first 20 levels are too trivial or something. All you really have to do is convince them the remaining 60 are the same.

Also, it’s not like any of us did anything to earn it. If you did, then you could argue that your effort went to waste. Here, it’s hard to say claim a loss of significant value.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Suggestions

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Why are some of you against a character reaching the level cap immediately? How is that hurting your play experience?

If I go into a dungeon or Fractal with a player who used four scrolls to hit the level cap and, accordingly, has no idea how to play his character then it’s hurting my play experience. Wouldn’t you agree?

in Suggestions

Faowri.4159

Actually no when the purpose of the item falls outside a ocean of unlimited wants. The item was built with the (slightly added convenience) purpose of getting you to roll a completely new character. It was most likely figured out that the first 20 levels are too trivial or something. All you really have to do is convince them the remaining 60 are the same.

Also, it’s not like any of us did anything to earn it. If you did, then you could argue that your effort went to waste. Here, it’s hard to say claim a loss of significant value.

I don’t really think it’s about ‘earning’ it. It’s a gift, so it would have made sense to ensure it had relevance to everyone who was going to receive it. I respect the fact that they want people to make alts, but lots of people have already done so.

I’m not upset or anything. I just think it’s a waste, really. More pointless bank space baggage.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MAGpie.7962

MAGpie.7962

I would like to see this as go to 20, or gain 10… or something. Because, well, I have one of each class, and 5 of them where made right at the start. And that means, in the next 2 or so days, I will get 5 get to 20 scrolls… really? 5 more characters? No. Not since WvW hate alts anyhow.

Please change this. Please!

in Suggestions

MAGpie.7962

Said this in another thread, that really should be merged with this one, but I agree. Get to level 20, or +15, etc.

in Suggestions

Daecollo.9578

I agree, i would prefer it to give Levels or just XP, all the characters i currently want are all above Level 20 so when i get this it will be useless and will be dumped in the Bank in the whole of a new class coming out.

If they dont want to do 20levels, maybe it should give say 254,000XP instead? that would be equal to one whole level at level 80 and could be used on characters below 80 but above 20

It takes just as much effort to get 40-60, to get 60-80, because of the way levels scale in the game.

It wouldn’t matter.

The level scale curve is ________________________________ (stays same.)

In other games it is ………………………………—————————///// (it gets harder.)

in Suggestions

Daecollo.9578

AGREES

It takes just as much effort to get 40-60, to get 60-80, because of the way levels scale in the game.

It wouldn’t matter.

The level scale curve is ________________________________ (stays same.)

In other games it is ………………………………—————————///// (it gets harder.)

in Suggestions

MAGpie.7962

That’s true… Me, and everyone else is just suggesting a compromise really.

And incidentally, the flat level “curve” is one of the really cool things about this game. I appreciate it a lot.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

They just do not seem like a well thought out idea…. I can’t help but feel like it was added in at the last moment as an after thought.

I am very sure that A-Net knows the percentage of under lvl 20 characters compared to the ones above lvl 20 The statistic is based on all accounts not only the active ones. They saw many players quit before lvl 20 as well as seeing many accounts have less then 5 characters created or lower then 20.
If the number of low level characters plus the free character slots is over 65% of the total number of characters, than the scroll is not useless
Keep your scrolls, dont think they are useless because if they release a new race / profession you will need it if you decide to roll that one too.

(edited by Ronah.2869)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

So you only play a character until they get to level 80, then stop?

It’s your choice of course but that would be very unusual. For a lot of people it’s the complete opposite – they want to get levelling out of the way as quickly as possible so they can focus on whatever they created that character for.

I don’t necessarily agree with that approach, I enjoy levelling and I think it’s a big part of the game and a good way to get to know and develop your character. But I think those are the people this item is aimed at and if you go completely the other way you have to bear in mind that you’re an exception and a lot of things aimed at other players won’t make sense to you.

You completely misunderstood what I meat. What I meant when I said “making me pretty much not need to play him at all” was that with a +40 level item(s), added with just regular crafting, I’ll barely need to play the character to get him to Lv80.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

I can see how this scroll may not be worth it to some, but I don’t think the purpose was to skip leveling as much as get a low level out of the boring zone. You can hardly do anything below 20, or even below 40 due to restrictions on traits/runes/sigils. I had 0 motivation to level my necro until I got this scroll. Mainly because conditions are aweful at low levels and I got tired of leveling characters. Atleast then I had some more utility and could test things a little better (46 now). I just hated having no utility pre-20.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”