[merged] Level 20 Scroll --> +20 Level Scroll?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Khunvyel.3972

Khunvyel.3972

I wouldn’t mind it be changed to “set character to 20 if below 20” with the addition of; “if 20+, you get +5 levels”. I find +20 unconditional levels too excessive. +5 is okay.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

How is 20 levels to excessive… I have 5 80s.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

If I go into a dungeon or Fractal with a player who used four scrolls to hit the level cap and, accordingly, has no idea how to play his character then it’s hurting my play experience. Wouldn’t you agree?

I would agree, however my point of contention is twofold:
1) I already run into plenty of level 80s who don’t know what they’re doing.
2) You can currently only obtain these scrolls as a reward for getting 5,000 Achievement points OR by having a character that is 1 year old. In either scenario it’s unlikely that the player will be unfamiliar with the game to the point that they’re going to ruin your fun any more than the average player.

I wouldn’t mind it be changed to “set character to 20 if below 20” with the addition of; “if 20+, you get +5 levels”. I find +20 unconditional levels too excessive. +5 is okay.

Why do you feel it’s excessive?

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Change it to “grants 20 levels of experience”!

I have all my chr slots maxed with characters all around the lvl 50 range….with 3 80’s….so the scroll of experience is worthless to me

this way people who are trying a new class in a spare chr slot can get to 20 instantly or faithful players can get a 50 alt to 80 faster

Good idea, but I have a better one, that is also just as easy to program: “Grants the XP equivalent required to go from 1 to 20”. Now no one feels like they’re getting too much XP, leveling too fast, etc, and those with 80s can get bonus skillpoints from a few extra levelups (need those for making the high end stuff, I hear).

I like this one. By granting the XP it takes to level from 1-20 it becomes progressively weaker the higher your level, but never totally worthless.

I just got my third one of these and I have nothing to do with them.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I can’t speak for Khunvyel, but I think 20 levels is excessive because there are far too many ways to level to 80 without actually learning the character. So, we end up with players who have no clue how to play their level 80 effectively.

I do like Drakkon’s idea of just making it award a set amount of exp. I’d actually suggested the same thing in an older thread.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

I have used hundreds of looted skillpoint scrolls and have over a hundred in the bank right now. How is it people think 20 sp from a scroll they very rarely give out is a lot…

edit: just checked, and I’m back up to 110 after I last consumed them.

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

I can’t speak for Khunvyel, but I think 20 levels is excessive because there are far too many ways to level to 80 without actually learning the character. So, we end up with players who have no clue how to play their level 80 effectively.

I do like Drakkon’s idea of just making it award a set amount of exp. I’d actually suggested the same thing in an older thread.

Sorry, but you should know everything about your character by 30. The only thing left is traits which only accent your play. Very few traits alter how your character plays. Also by the time you’ve reach 5000 achievement points, OR been playing for a year you should have a good idea how to play your characters and how other classes work. At least somewhat. If you can’t and don’t then it really doesn’t matter if you artificially boost your level or not, you’re still not going to get it either way.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

For those of you that havent got your gifts yet, it is indeed the scroll to get an alt up to 20, and only used by a character under 20.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

You could have made it for PvP, or have others of that class and want a different appearance and/or race. Anyway, how well or poorly they play really isn’t anyone’s concern but theirs. You’re free to avoid them if they levelled ‘without learning the character’ or – which I think is far more likely – just aren’t very good at the game in general.

in Suggestions

Faranox.4217

And how long do these players exist in this ‘ineffective’ state? A day of play? 2 days? Learning to play a class doesn’t take very long. I don’t think this is enough reason to keep these scrolls from simply granting +20 levels.
No one who has earned one of these scrolls is NEW to the game. They know what’s up.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

No I think changing it to 20+ is a very bad idea, it works perfectly as is now and should remain so. However, I understand some people don’t have alts left to level and just want something to do with these so imo there should be a mystic toilet recipe to help dispose of them, maybe convert them to a few skill points. That way, everyone is happy. Discuss.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

No I think changing it to 20+ is a very bad idea, it works perfectly as is now and should remain so. However, I understand some people don’t have alts left to level and just want something to do with these so imo there should be a mystic toilet recipe to help dispose of them, maybe convert them to a few skill points. That way, everyone is happy. Discuss.

It’s been said in this thread that it takes a set amount of experience to reach level 20. So just have the scrolls be changed to get out that flat experience, so as you level up it’s less effective, but it can still be used, and even level 80s can use it on their way to another skillpoint.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mistro.3059

Mistro.3059

I’d approve of this change. Its not like 10-15 gold can’t get you 20 levels by craft leveling anyway. I have some level 10-14’s, who will likely not even use the scroll unless it is changed. I might save it for a rainy day when I decide to buy another char slot and save some time/gold on leveling.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

And how long do these players exist in this ‘ineffective’ state? A day of play? 2 days? Learning to play a class doesn’t take very long. I don’t think this is enough reason to keep these scrolls from simply granting +20 levels.
No one who has earned one of these scrolls is NEW to the game. They know what’s up.

Really? There’s still people complaining about being kicked for running mf gear.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Having 8 level 80s already with my 9th and final toon at level 49 these scrolls are totally useless to me in their present form. I will not be buying anymore character slots so they will collect dust in the bottom of my vault in case they introduce a new race/profession.

Theftwind (HoD)

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

Really? There’s still people complaining about being kicked for running mf gear.

That is a state of the elitists running dungeons and not willing to accept that viable doesn’t mean optimal. That has nothing to do with someone who doesn’t know how to play their class, or the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Some level ranges are far harder than others to pass. The ~20-40 range for example is completely insane due to a lack of good events and massive level jumps between each stage of the personal story.

Not with the new account XP buff. I just leveled a character doing map completion and all dynamic events as I saw them. This was all within a week averaging 1.5-2 hours a map for perspective on time spent. I only came across one instance where I was not above the level cap for the map which was around 55ish I believe.

I have a suggestion for the EXP scroll. Make it useable at any level but it grants ONLY the experience it would take to bring a level 1 character to level 20. This is about 116k EXP rounded up. This is more equitable.

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

Some level ranges are far harder than others to pass. The ~20-40 range for example is completely insane due to a lack of good events and massive level jumps between each stage of the personal story.

Not with the new account XP buff. I just leveled a character doing map completion and all dynamic events as I saw them. This was all within a week averaging 1.5-2 hours a map for perspective on time spent. I only came across one instance where I was not above the level cap for the map which was around 55ish I believe.

I have a suggestion for the EXP scroll. Make it useable at any level but it grants ONLY the experience it would take to bring a level 1 character to level 20. This is about 116k EXP rounded up. This is more equitable.

Not ever, the game is designed to be a consistent leveling experience. Since you don’t need to be in a level appropriate zone to get level appropriate XP there is no time that you don’t continue to level at the same rate. If you’re not getting at least one level every day on any character you happen to be playing, you’re not playing at all.

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

That is a state of the elitists running dungeons and not willing to accept that viable doesn’t mean optimal. That has nothing to do with someone who doesn’t know how to play their class, or the game.

See, here we have another ineffective player who doesn’t actually know how to use their class. Part of knowing how to play is pressing that dodge button and not being a cleric spec lbow ranger.

(edited by Player Character.9467)

in Suggestions

Faranox.4217

See, here we have another ineffective player who doesn’t actually know how to use their class. Part of knowing how to play is pressing that dodge button.

I find your comment to be derogatory and also irreverent to player choices. Some people like Magic Find. Just because they aren’t min-maxing for DPS doesn’t mean they don’t know how to play the game.

Again, you aid my argument. There are already level 80s that you don’t like, I doubt changing the scroll to give +20 levels will result in any differences to you.

The idea to have the scroll give a set amount of XP would be acceptable as well. As long as it can have a use on characters beyond level 20. A Mystic Forge recipe would be… acceptable I think.

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

I find your comment to be derogatory and also irreverent to player choices. Some people like Magic Find. Just because they are leeching off you doesn’t mean they don’t earn loot too.

FTFY
Even the devs have admitted that MF gear is wrong.

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

See, here we have another ineffective player who doesn’t actually know how to use their class. Part of knowing how to play is pressing that dodge button and not being a cleric spec lbow ranger.

That’s cool, I’ll laugh at your corpse while I solo the boss then. I don’t mind. I won’t res you though, cause the only thing that gets me killed in dungeons is ressing the shmoes who thing dodge is the only answer to everything.

Me I have damage resistance, massive regen and invulnerability on top of my two dodges. You feel that damage is the only answer, but one misstep and you’re out. I do a bit less damage, but take much more to go down.

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

That’s cool, I’ll laugh at your corpse while I solo the boss then. I don’t mind. I won’t res you though, cause the only thing that gets me killed in dungeons is ressing the shmoes who thing dodge is the only answer to everything.

Me I have damage resistance, massive regen and invulnerability on top of my two dodges. You feel that damage is the only answer, but one misstep and you’re out. I do a bit less damage, but take much more to go down.

GL outhealing 20k autos. Oh wait, you can’t.

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

GL outhealing 20k autos. Oh wait, you can’t.

Don’t have to, I’ll just take 0 damage instead. Cause I can do that. I was going to make a relevant argument, but I realized we’re in a completely different thread to where that argument actually is relevant.

Simple fact is: Anyone getting these +20 scrolls will already know how to play their class, or else nothing is going to help them anyway, so it makes no difference if it bumps them to 20 or 80. It amounts to the same thing.

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

in Suggestions

Posted by: BowmasterSol.3457

BowmasterSol.3457

My argument against the scrolls as they are now is that they will very rarely aid the character that is celebrating the birthday. The scroll will most likely be given to an alt.

“Happy Birthday Timmy. Here is a bike with training wheels.”
“Thanks Dad, but I’m 25 and I already drive a motorcycle.”
“Oh well. Give it to your son. Happy Birthday!”

Knowledge is power.

in Suggestions

Posted by: EpicHedgehog.1754

EpicHedgehog.1754

My argument against the scrolls as they are now is that they will very rarely aid the character that is celebrating the birthday. The scroll will most likely be given to an alt.

That’s the most correct explanation about the birthday presents… I’m still waiting for the mystic forge recipe for these scrolls, they are USELESS for at least 70% of the ppl playing this game. and the indentical minis.. WHO THE.. gave you that idea ANET :@

Not good at english ^^

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Yes. Perfect assessment.

I have 8 characters (one for each profession) all created on the first day of Headstart. As a player of GW1, I expected “birthdays” to be character based, and not account-creation day based. So all 8 characters still exist today. (Although I only got presents for SEVEN of my eight characters. My Main is still waiting, but that’s another thread.)

After a full year, all eight of my characters are above level 20, especially after already having received one of these scrolls from Achievement Chests. So barring the introduction of a new profession, they are useless as-is.

If they weren’t Account Bound, we could at least sell them to all those people making threads asking for Race/Profession change.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Sorry, but you should know everything about your character by 30. The only thing left is traits which only accent your play. Very few traits alter how your character plays. Also by the time you’ve reach 5000 achievement points, OR been playing for a year you should have a good idea how to play your characters and how other classes work. At least somewhat. If you can’t and don’t then it really doesn’t matter if you artificially boost your level or not, you’re still not going to get it either way.

Wrong. Achievement points does not relate to skill. You can have only one character the entire time and have no idea about other classes. You also don’t get all of your abilities unlocked until around level 60 if you do map completion.

The way you level and the way you play after you reach level 80 is normally entirely different. Builds are also something to consider as well. I can level necro with berserker gear and then try to play as a conditionmancer when I hit 80. These are two very different play styles.

It’s not any particular trait that affects how you play but all of them together. This is known as a build. I have to point this out since it seems you’re alluding that this doesn’t make a difference. Over the course of leveling you will learn the class’ strengths and weaknesses.

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

Wrong. Achievement points does not relate to skill. You can have only one character the entire time and have no idea about other classes. You also don’t get all of your abilities unlocked until around level 60 if you do map completion.

The way you level and the way you play after you reach level 80 is normally entirely different. Builds are also something to consider as well. I can level necro with berserker gear and then try to play as a conditionmancer when I hit 80. These are two very different play styles.

It’s not any particular trait that affects how you play but all of them together. This is known as a build. I have to point this out since it seems you’re alluding that this doesn’t make a difference. Over the course of leveling you will learn the class’ strengths and weaknesses.

This is obviously a difference of play styles because I honestly can’t conceive of why you would ever do that. You’re right, you probably won’t unlock all your skills until about level 60, but by level 30 you should have all the skills you intend to play with on a regular basis, unless you’re seeking a tier 2 elite.

By level 30 you should also have decided what kind of play style you are looking for, crit or cond as per your description. From that point on all you’re doing is enhancing that playstyle.

Still, so what? Even if someone couldn’t cope and was terrible as a result of boosting their level, what does it matter? They’re not going to be any worse than any number of terrible players already playing that leveled the normal way.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MAGpie.7962

MAGpie.7962

This been applied yet? If not, then get on it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Corvis.5632

Corvis.5632

6 80’s a 36 and a 47.

It makes no sense to make a reward “for everyone” that can not reward hard core players that have already paid their dues and put in their time just as significantly as weekend warriors just now getting their first additional character slot.

GOM: 80 Engineer, Elementalist, Warrior, Necro, Guardian, Ranger.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

i concur.

make it 20 levels insteand from 1 to 20, if you are 60, goes to 80 if you are 40 goes to 60.

I took an arrow to the knee

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sondergaard.8469

Sondergaard.8469

Currently Experience scrolls are completely useless if you have all your characters past level 20. To counter this I recommend a simple change. Have it simply boost the character to the next tier within 20 levels. Meaning…
1-19, boosts them to 20.
21-39, they get boosted to 40.
41-59, boosted to 60.
61-79, boosted to 80.
80, 20 skill points.
This could even be adjusted to that it works in increments of 10 after level 20. So 1-19 you get boosted to 20. And 21-30 you only get boosted to 30.
If a character is level 80, translate the 20 levels into skill points.
The reason I suggest this is so that they don’t simply become useless clutter to players who already have a character leveled higher than the current boost.
Arguments for why this doesn’t break the game? For one, we are scaled down anyway wherever we go. For two, we still have to go unlock zones, complete maps, farm events, etc which can be done at any level, so level is only a small factor in gameplay.
Everything we would normally do at a level appropriate to a zone can still be done thanks to scaling with a relatively similar difficulty anyway, so why limit this?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Change it to “grants 20 levels of experience”!

I have all my chr slots maxed with characters all around the lvl 50 range….with 3 80’s….so the scroll of experience is worthless to me

this way people who are trying a new class in a spare chr slot can get to 20 instantly or faithful players can get a 50 alt to 80 faster

grants 20 levels of experience is nice.

fresh level 2 characters would be level 22, level 70 characters will become level 80 and gain 10 additional skill points, level 80 characters would gain 20 skill points. etc.