more casual things to do.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SheerCold.3081

SheerCold.3081

hi everyone,
im not sure if anyone actually reads this but I was just thinking today about a few features I’d like to see implemented in the game to prevent it from becoming stale. GW2 already boasts an impressive amount of casual things to do, but I’d like to see a few more. It means that players like myself can enjoy the world and not get bored.
A few of my ideas are,
Fishing – this would be a cool new feature that is a fun way to spend time, and in different areas you can catch different fish and ect.

Player housing and guild housing – I heard somewhere that this may be eventually coming, but to me it cant come soon enough, it would be so cool to make your own house where you want and be able to customise and invite people there…

Firemaking – this is really simple but in games like runescape I found alot of enjoyment from just chopping down trees and using the wood to make fires, and maybe they could be used in conjunction with fishing and chef skill, meaning you can cook fish or food over a fire you just made, and the skill level determines whether it will cook well.

Romance option(straight,gay and lesbian, here comes the hate) – this is one that i dont see being added, but I would love if it was, being able to romance a character would be an awesome time waster and if you had a house they could live at your house eventually!

Pickpocketing – heres my last idea ( for now!) but I’d like to be able to pickpocket other NPC characters, and your level of pickpocketing determines your chance of success and of a rare item.

Thanks for reading hope the ideas were ok

in Suggestions

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Hehehehe, Runescape.

Fishing: No, fishing in all games are boring. It will be boring for GW2.

Playing housing: Yes.

Fire making: No. We already have campfire from the chef costume. Buy it for 700 gems, it is worth it.

Romance option: No.

Pickpocketing: No.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Pickpocketing – heres my last idea ( for now!) but I’d like to be able to pickpocket other NPC characters, and your level of pickpocketing determines your chance of success and of a rare item.

I would love a Pickpocketing/Lockpicking skill as a kind of alternate crafting skill for Thieves. (or every class, I guess, to be fair – but it’d be extra cool to have my thief doing it) You’d still have to level it up, just like any crafting skill, but it would put a whole other spin on it. You could have to Pick Pockets from people in certain areas to get stuff to put together and make something better, and major ingredients might be locked in chests instead and you’d have to pick the chest to get at it. The trick would be that if you failed it would summon a group of nasty people or monsters right for the area to fight – because they discovered you – and you’d have to get away from them or kill them, but either way there’d be no treasure. This might even be an option on jumping puzzle, mini dungeon, and off the beaten trail type chests – when the Thief clicked on it, they’d have the option of looting or picking the lock. If they picked the mechanic above they wouldn’t get whatever might appear from the chest normally – and you’ve no promise that the stuff you pick will be better.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Fishing would be a nice addition, it could just be fishing nodes around the world much like ore rocks, trees & herbs/plants, add another harvesting tool “Copper Fishing Rod” etc, and the pools are either located around the coastal areas of water, or anywhere inside bodies of water.

Player housing and guild housing – This is something that was mentioned and is probably being worked on, so this doesn’t need anything said about it.

Firemaking – As said above, see the chef costume, it would be nice if it worked as a mobile place to cook food though.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

in Suggestions

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Have you played Rift?

Last I played (October of last year), fishing was still very popular, especially in the low level areas on both the Guardian and Defiant sides. At first it was a flood of 30+ people at the easy to access fishing areas, but after many people leveled and moved on, it still stayed popular as a social event. People started skipping nearby rifts because they were too busy fishing and chatting.

Doesn’t mean it would fly in GW2, because implementation is a big part of it, but not everyone finds it boring, and just because it is in a game, doesn’t automatically mean it is boring.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Paraka.9724

Paraka.9724

Have you played Rift?

Last I played (October of last year), fishing was still very popular, especially in the low level areas on both the Guardian and Defiant sides. At first it was a flood of 30+ people at the easy to access fishing areas, but after many people leveled and moved on, it still stayed popular as a social event. People started skipping nearby rifts because they were too busy fishing and chatting.

Doesn’t mean it would fly in GW2, because implementation is a big part of it, but not everyone finds it boring, and just because it is in a game, doesn’t automatically mean it is boring.

I was about to bring up Rift, cause I’m notorious for this action!

Thing is, fishing is only boring if it’s implemented the way most have. They can totally bring it into a more involving sense of play. Fishing itself is a skill, no one human being feels a twick on line and yank a fish out la-de-da like most MMOs phone in.

Make it reactive. Wait for a bit, tug on the line to see if you can coast a bigger fish to bite. Once bitten, make it responsive, fish starts yanking one way, use your directional keys to respond, fish plops out of water, use of the the skill given to ease the line before the tension snaps it. Make it involving, not just anything that’s a mere button.

Then top it off with a Fishing tourney bi-weekly event.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DietPepsi.4371

DietPepsi.4371

I’m always a huge fan of pointless stuff that just adds aesthetically, i can’t think of any of my own suggestions off the top of my head, but an example of what i consider pointless but cool is emotes, an MMO without emotes is incomplete (the more emotes the better!). Prehaps something for artists?; the guild logo creator isn’t exactly very satisfying. On the contrary useful camp sites/ cooking spits would be cool.

You stand to benefit more from making friends than making enemies.

Also I hate my user ID.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kendrel.1269

Kendrel.1269

Same, more fluff is always good. It gives you something to do beside fighting.

As for artists, what about musical instruments ? Have them crafted or maybe bought from NPC, and equiped like a weapon. Buttons 1-5 would do different notes and you could have flute, medieval guitar, drum etc. so a group of players could start a gig ^^
And to avoid trolls, add a simple “mute musical instruments” in the sound menu (or an option to mute individual player).

in Suggestions

darkace.8925

As for artists, what about musical instruments ? Have them crafted or maybe bought from NPC, and equiped like a weapon. Buttons 1-5 would do different notes and you could have flute, medieval guitar, drum etc. so a group of players could start a gig ^^
And to avoid trolls, add a simple “mute musical instruments” in the sound menu (or an option to mute individual player).

I like the suggestion. I’d recommend a lute, a lyre, a fife, a drum, a trumpet, and some bagpipes. Those are all appropriately medieval, though the asura demonstrate this game isn’t just a medieval fantasy setting.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DietPepsi.4371

DietPepsi.4371

+1 [sentence to meet 15 character requirement]

You stand to benefit more from making friends than making enemies.

Also I hate my user ID.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Absofrickinlutely. I’ve been in games with instruments and the options that go with ‘em, and they’ve always turned out some great results; player bands and performers are absolutely awesome to watch.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BearJada.3295

BearJada.3295

Fishing, most definitely. Some sort of little gardening would be fantastic too. A past game I played had fishing as an option and our group often made it a social occasion. People who wanted to fish could, the folks that didn’t want to would hunt down the stuff that might attack us, it was great.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Michelangelo.1742

Michelangelo.1742

All the ideas here are great, tbh I am getting a little tired of the usual hacking and slashing, so a little break from that whether it be getting married, building a house, fishing, playing an instrument or making a campfire in the wilderness. Jumping puzzles, PvP, Wv3 and guild missions are already great pastimes, but why not add some more?

WvW Revenge Catch-up Mechanic & Contingent 1U1D!
Tidal Legion [TL] – Sea of Sorrows

in Suggestions

darkace.8925

While we’re discussing casual things to do, might I propose a drunken race through a jumping puzzle-like obstacle course in Hoelbrak?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

I see fishing suggestions and all I think about is how players in Forsaken World would drag hostiles over to the fishers, especially during the fishing tournaments, and watch them get creamed. This happened in all the realms on all the PvE only servers.

Talk about getting ganked in a PvE only setting ROFLMAO!

Oh, that is my “No” to including fishing to GW2.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solus Kane.8507

Solus Kane.8507

Hehehehe, Runescape.

Playing housing: Yes.

Fire making: No. We already have campfire from the chef costume. Buy it for 700 gems, it is worth it.

Romance option: No.

Pickpocketing: No.

I’d personally like fishing, just because ou find something boring doesnt mean everyone else does, the topic poster is just asking for “options” not something thats mandatory. I dont understand the hate from some of you when it comes to having choice. =/

*player housing i would love to have especially like a dark age of camelot setting where you can have your own vendors and display trophies of bosses youve killed or even have guild mansions.

*the romancing thing is a grey area, i can see it causing problems and getting out of hand or “offending” some people who aren’t mature

pickpocketing could be added as a mini game in divinity’s reach or given out as an assignment by npc’s in certain towns. that would be for thf though which brings me to another idea, class type npc mini games would be kinda neat. the game is called guild wars, maybe they can have an actual thieves guild and mesmers guild and so on.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ryukaito.1456

ryukaito.1456

Fishing: Yes, fishing in all games are so relaxt.
It will not be boring for GW2. at all

Good thinking respect

I am all the way for the fishing, and i real love to see it in GW2.

There are so many awesome places where u could be fishing just for fun

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Fishing: Don’t see why, don’t see why not
Housing: We already know this is going to happen… eventually
Firemaking: Same as fishing
Romance: Please no, this has destroyed games, it really doesn’t belong except between NPCs where the developers can handle it in a tasteful way.
Pickpocketing: I think it would be cool to have a zone wherein this is allowed, maybe they could add in a city of rogues at some point.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I don’t understand. Everything in the game isn’t enough casual things to do?

This thread seems mislabeled. It looks like a desire for some possible minigames, but mostly just random extra junk in the game.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

Posted by: ParnAshwind.4823

ParnAshwind.4823

Books Reading books. Books like those in Elder Scroll.

- While waiting for the next invasion, I can read a book.
- While waiting for party members to get to the dungeon, I can read a book.
- Books makes better collectibles than say… useless Minis, Balloons, Kites, etc.
- Can sell special inventory tag for books that I want to carry around with me.

:)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stramatus.5219

Stramatus.5219

I think suggestions like this would definitely help from a roleplaying perspective.

I used to sit around in EQ fishing. Mainly because higher level you could make something of it, and it provided some nice downtime when I didn’t want to do any real hardcore gaming. I wouldn’t mind seeing fishing return. But not as a node. You should be able to just go up to a body of water and cast and either catch a wish, nothing, or some kind of junk.

Housing would be awesome. Just implement it into the home instance.

Books and libraries would be a nice thing to expand.

Romance, firemaking, pickpocketing. No. These things aren’t needed and I don’t see how they’d work/help in any regard.

Sir Helvidius | Sir Beregond | Proud Ascalonian Humans
“Remember The Searing. We never forget, and never forgive.” – Family Motto

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aravis.9541

Aravis.9541

I would love to be able to buy a house for my characters, and have different professions be able to make things for it (like artificer makes lamps, tailors could make rugs etc), and be able to visit my friends’ houses. And you could show off any pretty weapons or armour you own, but don’t want to wear anymore.

Fishing could be fun if you could do something with the fish (use in cooking, like WoW, or make into a taxidermy decoration, like LOTRO). It would certainly be fun to have more things in the game that don’t revolve around hacking and slashing away at things constantly.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

improvements to the home instance, since we already have one (in a flimsy sense of it anyway) should probably be the priority QoL improvement and a good casual time-passer. Champ and event farming until our eyes bleed is all well and good, but some of us would like other, less chaotic things to do at times.

Crafting usually fills that niche, but after you’ve maxed it all and let’s be honest, hardly anyone actually puts in orders for it these days, they just buy what they need off the tp and most crafting isn’t very profitable on the tp (I said most, not all).

the personal home instance would be the perfect place to initiate a “hangout area” for gardening, (we already have a mining node, so a step in the right direction), small minigames like the drinking game, (fishing would be nice, but can’t really be worked into most home instances, so for now I will leave that off my list even though I too would love to see it put in).

Many other possibilities that could be added. I think though, the easiest and most effecient way to begin these casual things would be to start putting them in the home instance and branch out from there (still crossing fingers for those guild halls, which, btw would be perfect places to implement fishing as well…just saying)

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Suggestions

Posted by: technonewt.2907

technonewt.2907

I like the fishing idea, and think it it was implemented into a type of mini game could be quite fun. I would like to see other more involved forms of resource gathering that’s more involving. Gardening would be cool too when they implement housing, being able to start out with basic plants, then as you gain gardening experience be able to grow more exotic/rare stuff.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

@OP Romance is much, much, much more fun IRL. I’ll keep my efforts there and don’t need to waste them in a game.

Pickpocketing: When I played Ultima Online in the early days you could steal from anyone and it was great. There was one problem though, if you got caught you could be attacked. So, long story short when I first logged into GW2 I tried a thief and saw a skill called steal. “Awesome!” I thought. I started running up to NPCs hitting the steal key and nothing happened. I tried it on mobs and other players and nothing happened. I then rolled all other professions and my Thief is still on the shelf.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Fishing? nah, Pickpocketing? nah, already around in other games ( wont mention names ).
It may be a nice idea to leave the acheivements of Living Story live, so whenever people are bored with whatever they usually do, they can grind those, as example in an instance

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I think they should add doing laundry. My armor must be pretty ripe by now. No wonder my mins stay so far away from me.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

Books Reading books. Books like those in Elder Scroll.

- While waiting for the next invasion, I can read a book.
- While waiting for party members to get to the dungeon, I can read a book.
- Books makes better collectibles than say… useless Minis, Balloons, Kites, etc.
- Can sell special inventory tag for books that I want to carry around with me.

:)

I support this. It would be a nice way to deliver lore, too. There are some books in the game already, but they are too short and we can’t take them with us. Something like TES, like you suggested, would be cool.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”