new hairstyles and CLIPPING!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

so, there aren’t a lot of the new female hairstyles i like. but some of the ones i DO like, i absolutely won’t use, because of clipping. not just clipping into armor, but for instance, the one that has the flower on it, and is long? the side portions of that hairstyle clip IN TO THE SKIN. the one that looks like marjorie’s? clips in a really funky way into the fur collar … well. refer to the screenshots.

IF you’re going to give us hairstyles to use, i bet a lot more folk as … PICKY … as i am would purchase and use the hairstyle kits IF THEY DIDN’T CLIP SO BADLY!

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

Then don’t pick them. Obviously a long hair will clip with bulky armor. Either that or they design is to stick out a ways in preparation for bulky armor and will look ridiculous on
Thinner armor. I’m sure they’ll add new hairstyles in another year with maybe one short and stylish.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Don’t use it? That’s your solution? Not, make it work properly? The one example he showed clips with her naked shoulder. And the rest of her hair is swallowed up by the neck of her Magitech. Not massive paldrons or a back item…just the collar.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

The flower one is a bit odd. It appears to clip like crazy in the preview like you show, but it clips a lot less ingame. It seems to clip the most in the dual-wielding stance, and even then, it’s better than other longer hair styles.

It’s not the first hairstyle to have differences between ingame and the preview…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

My post “Make hair work like finishers”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/twilight/Make-hair-work-like-finishers/first#post2960455

Hair needs to be something that is unlocked. So you change and reuse each unlocked hairstyle.

This gives players more to choose from everyday. And it saves Anet from having to address every clipping issue.

in Suggestions

Isende.2607

first of all, “she.” as “she,” yes, i do want my characters’ hair, and everything else, to look “right.” second of all, sorry, “choose something else” isn’t the appropriate response, in my opinion, ever. let’s see how this breaks down:
1. arenanet offers me three hairstyles to add to the … um, well, sometimes lackluster selections currently available. but …
2. i MUST purchase said hairstyles through the gem store and
3. aforementioned new hairstyles clip, and clip BADLY

my point, iterated above, is IF you want me, and folk who are as picky as i am (and there are a great many of us who WON’T use hairstyles because of the clipping, which limits our choices) to spend money for this in the gem store? give us stuff that doesn’t clip this badly.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

Haven’t you already bought said kit in order to preview the hairstyles and have your great investigation on clipping issues? Just asking.

\||||||/
O°v°O

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

There is a problem with the Asura female rolled braids. The braids get stretched in a wierd way when she goes into combat and her ears go up.

For the Toast!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

There is also a problem with color choices with hair accessories. Why are we so limited in color choices? It would be nice to match our armor a little more closely.

For the Toast!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

Either you want to pick other, safer hairstyle, or bear with clipping. There’s no way to have both with longer hair, unless you want it to have a one stiff shape of a lampshade, which will by default avoid clipping with the widest armor/shoulderpads, and result with floating weirdly over the toon’s body while lighter armor is equipped.

A realistic solution would be modifying the hair mesh to fit it to all the available armors in the game, so the game would switch to proper mesh while you equip that armor. But, yeah, I don’t see anyone doing that.

To be honest, I reckon the current hairstyles are working as intended (except for the real clipping-through-the-skull, texture, weighting and transparency issues).

This are of course my own ideas based on experiences with games that do similar thing (In Lineage 2, some dark elves armors had long, spiky collars, that would clip with long hair, so while those armors were equipped, the hair on the back was switched to a ponytail) and a little bit of 3D modeling, so I don’t expect you to believe this is how things are done, but heck, you don’t even believe the devs who are experts in 3D and say that there’s always some amount of clipping that is impossible to get rid of.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

Yep. Marge gets it

in Suggestions

Isende.2607

Haven’t you already bought said kit in order to preview the hairstyles and have your great investigation on clipping issues? Just asking.

actually, no. had the kit in inventory from a previous drop. had i not had it? yes, i would likely have purchased one, only to not use it. that’s my point — if you want to persuade me to buy and use these, give me something worth buying and using them for. if the hairstyles had worked out, if i’d loved them? i’d have bought four.

in Suggestions

Isende.2607

Either you want to pick other, safer hairstyle, or bear with clipping. There’s no way to have both with longer hair, unless you want it to have a one stiff shape of a lampshade, which will by default avoid clipping with the widest armor/shoulderpads, and result with floating weirdly over the toon’s body while lighter armor is equipped.

speaking of this — have you guys seen the deanerys (sp?) hairstyle for the female norns? at least as far as the preview is concerned, there is absolutely no movement in this hairstyle. can someone tell me if that’s fact after it’s applied? it just kinda SITS there.

and i get your point, but it still doesn’t invalidate my point. i, at least, won’t be purchasing hair kits to replace characters’ hair, simply because i won’t deal with the clipping. i know i’m not the only one, lol.