repaircosts + zerg-"problem" (WvW)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Repair costs and big Zergs are a problem for some people. But with one change this can be adressed:

Don’t remove repaircosts, instead events (defending, capturing) reward you with more money, BUT that money is divided through all the people around. This would mean, the more people are participating, the less money you get for the event (retaking a supply-camp for example).

This would also encourage people to run around in smaller groups instead of zerging all day long. It’s about risk-reward.

simple example:
so give out 1g for a successful conquest of a supply camp. If someone takes it alone, he gets the full 1g. If 5 people take it, each of them gets 1g/5people = 20silver

what do you think?

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

I think you failed to point out why repair costs in wvw are such a problem, what they have to do with zergs and why your suggestion will fix that problem.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Suggestions

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Well compare the income in WvW by playing and the costs for repairing. It’s Imho not balanced. Just my opinion of course, perhaps I’m doing it wrong.

Zergs are a problem imho because the reward-risk outcome isn’t balanced. Why should anyone run around in small groups in WvW when an enemy zerg is dominating a part of that area? In the end what I saw was not small groups fighting over supply camps at the same time in different places but people grouping together all the time to big zergs and playing the culling-5fps-spamfest game.

Don’t get me wrong, at some points zergs are great (e.g. defending/attacking towers) but Imho there should be a time for zergs and then there should be a time for smaller groups.

Maybe I experienced WvW very different to you, Awesome.

My suggestion would be an incentive for players to group with smaller groups in order to capture e.g. supplycamps & actually get a good reward for doing so.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

I think 1g is too much for taking a supply camp but if anet balanced out the values I would definitely be into the idea of a shared reward. To be honest, I would be into anything that might stop the zerg madness, it just isn’t fun to fight zerg vs zerg.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

in Suggestions

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

As soon as you start competing with other players for the same loot, that is when things start getting nasty.

It will lead to anti-social group play.

Say a two (rude) players want to cap a supply camp to get 50 silver each.

If one extra person tries to join that fight then that person will likely be told to go away because their mere presence at the fight is costing those players 17 silver each.

GW2 has done a good job of making everything stay friendly in group situations (except for tagging mobs – where it can get very competitive against other players).

If people want to play in a zerg then let them do what they want – as it isn’t really hurting you. If you want to go roaming by yourself or in a small group then you can do that also. There is always a supply camp on one of the 4 maps you can go and take if you want to play in a small group and you get XP/karma/money for doing it.

The commanders and other players will appreciate you taking the camp because they’ll be getting more supply and not having to divert the entire zerg to re-take the camp.

If you don’t want to pay repair costs then learn when to run away

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rfreak.6591

Rfreak.6591

@dzeRnumbrd.6129

You can’t possibly run away from a zerg, a decent one at least, they’ll cripple, immobilize, pull and throw you so much stuff you’ll hardly survive unless you are a thief and go stealth.

The repair cost is what makes people go zerg, why the kitten should I risk constantly repairing when I can play like 1-2hrs without dyin in a zerg with constant incomes of karma? And how am I supposed to actually make the difference if I’m a lowbie and don’t have enough silvers to repair AND buy blueprints?

IMO the costs of WvW are very unbalanced, how is somebody supposed to lose THAT many silvers for doing it right?

in Suggestions

Marcus Greythorne.6843

@dzeRnumbrd: you are absolutely right, why didn’t I see this xD

Well I guess this problem can’t be solved that way. No repair costs would be bad too, since a important gold-sink would be missing.

The way it is at the moment doesn’t seem right to me, capping a tower/camp for a reward of 1s 96c… pfff – brutal for newbies in WvW.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

In my very own honest opinion, armor shouldn’t get damaged at all in any PvP situation.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

in Suggestions

Marcus Greythorne.6843

In my very own honest opinion, armor shouldn’t get damaged at all in any PvP situation.

Then you’ll need an other gold sink. Any idea?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rizalee.4593

Rizalee.4593

I don’t think that would be very fair.. What you’re basically saying is that, If I go into fractals with a group of people, and spend two hours inside said fractals (and lets just assume that its a bad run, We get Dredge, Swamp, and Cliff-side ) I can come out of that run at a negative income due to deaths and Boss wipes, and poor loot drops.

But someone who spends the same amount of time in Pvp can come away from that time making money. All they have to do is join a zerg, and even if they get NO loot, they still get Karma and Silver for capping Points.

Not Fair IMHO

~ Rizalee – Human Mesmer ~
~ Rizzae – Asura Guardian ~
Tarnished Coast Server

in Suggestions

Marcus Greythorne.6843

@Rizalee: agree, but when you leave a dungeon without wipe (which happens when you do it long enough to learn how the encounters work) you come out of it with a nice profit. In WvW the only way to achieve this is running around with big zergs and power-cap one thing after another. Also not fair, don’t you think?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

As pointed out before, armor should NOT get damaged in WvW and PvP. These gameplay styles are based on skill and team work. The only penalty for failing is death – which you respawn. Putting emphasis on having to repair after death deters from the core gameplay mechanics that WvW and PvP is.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

As pointed out before, armor should NOT get damaged in WvW and PvP. These gameplay styles are based on skill and team work. The only penalty for failing is death – which you respawn. Putting emphasis on having to repair after death deters from the core gameplay mechanics that WvW and PvP is.

You get rewarded in wvw with karma and gold so there needs to be some risk involved. Walking back from a free waypoint does not count.

[SFD] – Maguuma