rookie mmo slang question

in Suggestions

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

Wondering what is meant by buff and nerf ? Is a buff increasing or making a skill or trait better ? and is nerf doing that opposite ?

I know I should know this but I don’t. Thanks to whoever takes the time to respond.

in Suggestions

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Yep you got it!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

In a nutshell, yes that’s pretty much it
buff = increased effectiveness
nerf = decreased effectiveness

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

A buff is a benefit that increases the stats of an item or that of a player. For example someone can get a speed buff to increase their movement speed or magic find buff to increase the odds of finding better items from loot.

A nerf is usually when game developers decrease the stats or effectiveness of a certain skill or trait. This is also applied to areas that are popular for farming when developers have hit it with worse drops or diminishing returns.

For example with the rumors of the next update you will probably see the term nerf many many time.

Hope that helps.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

A buff is a benefit that increases the stats of an item or that of a player. For example someone can get a speed buff to increase their movement speed or magic find buff to increase the odds of finding better items from loot.

A nerf is usually when game developers decrease the stats or effectiveness of a certain skill or trait. This is also applied to areas that are popular for farming when developers have hit it with worse drops or diminishing returns.

For example with the rumors of the next update you will probably see the term nerf many many time.

Hope that helps.

Yep, helped a great deal.

Appreciate the replies.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yocairo.4257

Yocairo.4257

Not entirely, a buff isn’t necessarily an improvement. it’s simply an increase.

I.E a buff to a cooldown means an increase in cooldown, nerfing a cooldown is making it shorter.

Buffing damage is the other way around, buff would increase damage nerf decreases it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Fun bit of trivia – nerf originally referred to weapons specifically and was a short hand way of saying a weapon is now so weak it’s like using a Nerf gun. (The ones that shoot foam darts.)

More practically it’s often worth bearing in mind that whether a change is a buff, nerf or has no real effect on the overall usefulness of a skill/item/profession is often a matter of opinion (and therefore debate).

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

buff is when they make a class overpowerful in comparison to the others.
nerf is when they take away an unfair advantage.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

buff is when they make a class overpowerful in comparison to the others.
nerf is when they take away an unfair advantage.

This made me literally Roll On Floor Laughing.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

in Suggestions

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Buffs and nerfs are how you fix bad balance design in games.

When something is underpowered the developers buff it to make it stronger, when it’s overpowered they nerf it to make it less powerful, of course there are serious exceptions to this rule.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I wonder why this got moved to the suggestion forum? o_O

The Burninator