safe spots for going afk

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Problem description. You are reasonable new to an area but have to go afk. So you quickly go to a waypoint/fortress near you and leave your character there. It takes longer then expected and when you return your fully naked. The reason is that the waypoint is one of those that got contested or the fortress got udner attack. Some good people where nice enough to res you but somehow you feel mishandled.

Lemme stress out that Tyria is a beautifull vibrate place and you never know where the danger will lurk. But given the price of traveling to towns and the distance to walk it might be good to know what is safe.

Possible solution: post a recognisable warning sign at the entrance of a fortress or at a waypoint if the place isn’t always as safe as it looks.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: Derpinator.2894

Derpinator.2894

I’ve learned to just esc/logout/go to character select.

Outside of the cities, there are very few safe places in this game. It’s exhausting honestly because there’s no place to just take a break and breathe in the game’s beauty.

Sure, you can happen upon them (and vistas are generally a good spot to chill out and relax for a minute FYI), but overall, I never, ever feel safe anywhere in the game other than the cities.

So I workaround it by leaving the game when I need to afk.

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

I exit to the selection screen when I am afk. Why waste server resources when are not going to be there to use them? If you are in a dungeon, that is a different case, but you are talking about idly idling just for the sake of idling, you idle-pawed kitten!

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: Batbro.6859

Batbro.6859

I have a tangentially related problem, and possible solution. An example scenario:

I wander the world and I see a friendly face having some difficulty with an enemy. He’s downed and dying. I run over to help him, but by the time I make it there, he’s already dead. I focus on killing the enemy first, then start reviving him. Little do I know, however, that this player went AFK the moment he died, possibly in a fit of rage. I revive him and say “There ya go, buddy.” partially hoping for a “Thank you” or “Thanks” or even “TY”. What I get instead, however, is a blank thousand-yard stare from his lifeless shell. Now I’m stuck here, either babysitting his AFK body to prevent him from dying AGAIN and taking even more armor damage, or leaving him as he is, and feeling kinda like a jerk for reviving him in the first place.

My proposed solution is simple: when someone revives you, you have to press F to revive. They will be able to bring your health bar back up and leave as soon as they do, but you won’t actually get back on your feet until YOU confirm it with a keypress. This prevents scenarios such as the one I listed above, and simulataneously solves the OP’s problem (partially, anyway; you’ll never get downed more than once).

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

Personally, I think if you are going to idle in an area where monsters spawn, you should be killed and you armor broken. If I go camping in bear country iRL and get eaten by a bear, well, I have paid for my stupidity and the gene pool is a little cleaner.

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: kaffaljidhma.1496

kaffaljidhma.1496

Try to find the nearest vista. Those are the only points that I think are universally safe.

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cinder.4865

Cinder.4865

You cannot compare real life scenarios to something that may or may not happen in a game. It does not work that way.

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

@kaffaljidhma
Vistas aren’t universally safe, but they are usually safe. I’ve been attacked at some while I’ve been enjoying the view.

The only 100% guarantee of safety is to log off. If I’m going to be AFK for more than the time it takes to bio and I don’t know the area, I log off. It’s the only way to be sure.

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

I have never been attacked at a waypoint I went afk underneath.

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: kaffaljidhma.1496

kaffaljidhma.1496

Sometimes waypoints can be contested, which means an event is occurring right on top of them. I have revived naked people at waypoints.

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I have never been attacked at a waypoint I went afk underneath.

Happened to me yesterday in the north-northwest part of Snowden Drifts by a centaur. The world isn’t safe. Don’t be in it, if you aren’t paying attention to it.

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: Victus.9631

Victus.9631

Just log out… don’t see how this is so hard to do.

safe spots for going afk

in Suggestions

Posted by: Batbro.6859

Batbro.6859

I think everyone can agree that it’s not that unreasonable to go AFK AFTER your death though as you lie face-down in the dirt in the middle of nowhere.

So the problem there lies in reviving AFK people, only to have them die again. I think a simple keypress of F to revive would solve both this and OP’s problems.