weapon set switching for elementals?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Necros can weapon switch. The reason ele’s and engi’s can’t is because their respective attunements and kits would provide more options than all other classes have access to. So your suggestion may solve the issue as long as it was given to all the other classes above and beyond the in combat weapon swap they already have.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Elementalists have 4 attunments they can cycle through for attacks. That is more or less their weapon swap. I don’t know what you are taking about other professions not having weapon swap, the only other one that doesn’t is Engineer because they can swap kits.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

eles can switch between attunments and therefore will allways have something to use that isnt on cooldown. if u gave an ele a weapon swap, they would become incredibly op.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sage Of Chaos.9271

Sage Of Chaos.9271

I agree, I have also thought about this idea, but it made me think that this character would become very overpowered, in all you have 5 abilities per weapon set arrangement, along with that you have 4 Attunements (Air, Earth, Fire and Water) which totals up to 20 abilities already, not to mention skills and trait benefits. whereas a standard character would only have at a maximum of 10 as far as i know. Having DOUBLE what other classes are able to use, makes it very overpowered.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

If 4 skill bars aren’t enough for you to find something useful, I just don’t know what to say.

I should be writing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yoji.1420

Yoji.1420

While I agree with the majority of the posts above this I have to say that switching weapons on an Elementalist while out of combat can be a pain, an out of combat weapon swap option is and idea I can get behind.

When switching from staff to dagger/dagger I am sometimes caught be a stray attack or a member of the group starts an encounter/progresses a dungeon forward before I am ready, the result of which is me being stuck in combat with a single dagger equip.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Not sure about Necros, but Elementalists already can swap between 4 different attunements, if they could use multiple weapons they’d have waaay more versatility then other classes.

in Suggestions

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

necro’s can swap, only the elle and engineer can’t.
IMO the elle has 2X more weapon skills then any other profession so adding a weapon switch makes them enormously OP.
however, i do think that the engineer should have a weapon switch when the following is met:

• no weapon kit in your unity skills slot
  • no other kit in your unity skill slot
  • no kit in your elite slot

when even one kit is equipped the switch button is disabled, no exceptions

in Suggestions

Posted by: LiemV.7508

LiemV.7508

While I agree with the majority of the posts above this I have to say that switching weapons on an Elementalist while out of combat can be a pain, an out of combat weapon swap option is and idea I can get behind.

When switching from staff to dagger/dagger I am sometimes caught be a stray attack or a member of the group starts an encounter/progresses a dungeon forward before I am ready, the result of which is me being stuck in combat with a single dagger equip.

Yeah, I agree with this right here. Weapon switching out of combat can be very useful for elementalists. Using your inventory to swap can be quite tedious at times.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

In combat, no. Out of combat, yes please.

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

If we are going to ask for out of combat weapon swap, we have to ask for it to also apply to all classes. Because the lack of in combat weapon swap is already at balance.

Instead of asking for ele’s to get ooc weapon ask for all classes to get an ooc weapon swap for the weapons they aren’t currently using (the other classes would still get a total of two different sets that they would be using and that would be swappable in combat). Otherwise, it’s like asking for new armor styles for only charr, or only humans. It doesn’t make sense.

in Suggestions

Posted by: dbgamer.3407

dbgamer.3407

Make this an OOC swap and I’d agree with you 100%

Arkenell of Fort Aspenwood

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

If we are going to ask for out of combat weapon swap, we have to ask for it to also apply to all classes. Because the lack of in combat weapon swap is already at balance.

Instead of asking for ele’s to get ooc weapon ask for all classes to get an ooc weapon swap for the weapons they aren’t currently using (the other classes would still get a total of two different sets that they would be using and that would be swappable in combat). Otherwise, it’s like asking for new armor styles for only charr, or only humans. It doesn’t make sense.

Every other class already has weapon switching OOC.

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

Every other class already has weapon switching OOC.

…………

Not for weapons they don’t already have in their equipable slots. Just like ele’s and engi’s.

in Suggestions

Posted by: extreme.8526

extreme.8526

I think OOC swap would be very good and wouldn’t make ele more powerful, it would be very convenient.
I would like to say however that just because ele has 20 skills to rotate over and if the class would get another swap does not automatically make him OP. On thief I can still do more dps with just autoattacks and few very nice skills that take care of offense and defense(mostly invisibility). Having more or less buttons is more about how easy or tough is it to play.
Even with 4 attunments ele can still be either close range or long (middle) range, but not both, like other professions can be.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I would like to say however that just because ele has 20 skills to rotate over and if the class would get another swap does not automatically make him OP.

Disagree. Seeing as how some sets have many blast finishers, and some sets many fields, this could case problems. Imagine swapping from staff to scepter/dagger, which would allow 4 or 5 blast finishers in a water field. Not only would you heal more than your healing skill, you’d also do a ton of damage with them near you. Even out of combat swapping could be abused, allowing for stuff like boon stacking through combo fields and having the entire party start off with 2 minutes of fury and 25 might.

The most important reason not to allow weapon swapping for eles it is because ArenaNet has specifically stated they want to limit the number of potential skill combinations. Weapon swapping on eles would essentially break that rule since, allowing for 20*20=400 new skill combinations that have to be balanced.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Suggestions

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

I thought the OP was a well crafted troll post at first!

It could be interesting if they allowed ele weapon swap with a penalty to it (like only being able to use 2 attunements instead of 4)

Necro can swap weapons already. Maybe you meant engineer.

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Noncombat switching should preferably be introduced as part of a larger Paradigm Swap system that lets you flip between whole builds.

I should be writing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brushfire.3125

Brushfire.3125

I think weapon swapping in combat for elementalists is appropriate. The ability to switch between a long range and short range weapon on demand is an essential one in some large fights with phases, and certainly hampers elementalists.

That said, it does need to be implemented slightly differently due to the large array of attunements elementalists have.

I would suggest allowing in-combat weapon swapping, but with no cool-down erasure. In plain terms, if a player used ability ‘5’ in fire, then this ability would still be on cool-down after the weapon is swapped. This would mean that the only way to take advantage of abilities not on cool-down would be swapping attunements like always.

This would allow elementalists to change their distance to target mid-fight like most any other class, while not allowing the elementalist to doubly unload an attunement in burst fashion.

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

I think weapon swapping in combat for elementalists is appropriate. The ability to switch between a long range and short range weapon on demand is an essential one in some large fights with phases, and certainly hampers elementalists.

That said, it does need to be implemented slightly differently due to the large array of attunements elementalists have.

I would suggest allowing in-combat weapon swapping, but with no cool-down erasure. In plain terms, if a player used ability ‘5’ in fire, then this ability would still be on cool-down after the weapon is swapped. This would mean that the only way to take advantage of abilities not on cool-down would be swapping attunements like always.

This would allow elementalists to change their distance to target mid-fight like most any other class, while not allowing the elementalist to doubly unload an attunement in burst fashion.

LoL, yeah I bet as an Ele you would love that. Ele Wars 2. haha

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Brushfire.3125

I play all the classes and seeing as how ele just got beat down with a nerf bat from hell, giving a little flexibility back to offset the dps/utility loss would be a welcome addition.

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

I play all the classes and seeing as how ele just got beat down with a nerf bat from hell, giving a little flexibility back to offset the dps/utility loss would be a welcome addition.

Ohh please. Every update every profession says they got nerfed. GTFO!

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

As an Ele main – I honestly think the majority of the last update was a buff, not a nerf. Besides most of it was just shuffling things around rather than actually changing anything huge -_-

But to answer OP – no to weapon switching for Ele’s. We don’t need it, we already have access to FAR more skills at any given time than any other profession. Not to mention we have the ability to consistently put up combo fields and set them off on our own, multiple at a time, concurrently… We’re doing just fine.

in Suggestions

Brushfire.3125

My ranger still rocks, my necro still rocks, and funny enough I didn’t have to reassign their abilities, because their trees didn’t get messed up like ele.

Anyway, giving a weapon swap ability to ele’s would not be OP or out of line with the rest of the game mechanics, especially in the way I described it.

in Suggestions

FlamingFoxx.1305

My ranger still rocks, my necro still rocks, and funny enough I didn’t have to reassign their abilities, because their trees didn’t get messed up like ele.

Anyway, giving a weapon swap ability to ele’s would not be OP or out of line with the rest of the game mechanics, especially in the way I described it.

Your suggestion doesn’t fix the balance issues that would arise.
The elementalists skill set was designed with the fact that they couldn’t swap in mind. Each weapon is meant to have access to a certain amount of certain types of skills, the elementalists have one of the more diverse skillsets on each weapon because each element functions differently. Allowing weapon swapping destroys that because suddenly someone dealing high DPS with daggers can switch to staff water, throw down two heals on top of one another, let off two or three combo finishers to get burst healing, throw down some control skills with water 4, swap into earth and put down 2 for knock back, cast 3 for projectile reflection then swap back into dagger and, by this point everything in dagger would be off cool down, get back into their dagger skills…. It would be RIDICULOUSLY overpowered.

in Suggestions

Brushfire.3125

Doesn’t sound any more overpowered than my necro honestly. And obviously if you make a fundamental change to mechanics then everything has to be re-evaluated for that class. I thought that went without saying, apparently not.

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m not even sure what you are on about at this point talking about rangers and necros. But yes, Ele weapon swap would be way OP. It is pretty clear cut. Time for you to /exit thread or stop trolling via stupidity.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

FlamingFoxx.1305

That change would involve much longer cooldowns for Ele skills becuase you would suddenly have access to 45 skills. We already have super long cooldowns on everything…
I’m sorry but I just don’t want it, it’s not feasible. I’m quite happy forever using my staff.

in Suggestions

Brushfire.3125

It’s not a troll, it’s a suggestion, look at the forum title. Stupidity is claiming that the grass is greener, or that everything is perfectly fine the way it is as long as you tilt your head 135 degrees to the right.

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

It’s not a troll, it’s a suggestion, look at the forum title. Stupidity is claiming that the grass is greener, or that everything is perfectly fine the way it is as long as you tilt your head 135 degrees to the right.

Or stupidity is thinking giving Eles weapon swap would not be OP.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Brushfire.3125

Oh you’re right I see the light, all I needed was a little belittling, and backhanded compliments to make me see that my argument is invalid. I am humbled :P

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

Oh you’re right I see the light, all I needed was a little belittling, and backhanded compliments to make me see that my argument is invalid. I am humbled :P

I’m glad you figured that out.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

Make this an OOC swap and I’d agree with you 100%

This please.