Cultural Armour Glow Compendium - Completed!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Gasu.6254

Gasu.6254

^ Same happened to my Sylvari – my orange eyes have turned to red, which is same as my glow color. I had bought a make over kit earlier to get those orange eyes so it would be nice to get them back

in Sylvari

Posted by: Marquie Thomas.1873

Marquie Thomas.1873

I also noticed that each dye to put in one panel has a effect on the dyes in the other two panels also to get a yellow glow on my armor for my syvari i had to mix Midnight ice pine and lemon dye on my gears the end result was fabulous after a few hardcore hours of dye buying and tinkering you also cant use the same dye pattern in the exact same panels for each piece of gear you will not get the same result like the pieces before it. also for males t3 light legs glow the glow varies depending on the glow in the main dye panel witch for me is pine green dye. The t3 light legs glow is very hard to get right sorta cause the dye from the main panel mixes in with the dye from side panel the side panel dye is more prominent on the 4 leaves and when it glows the dye from the side panel will glow also. So if you have dark days like abyss for side pannle they will almost always glow white. Here are a few screen to show how i mixed and matched dyes just to show you the glow of t3 legs

Attachments:

(edited by Marquie Thomas.1873)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

So. What this means for you is, to add your glow, I reworked the dye channels to give you the largest choice and control possible over the glow. The areas that glow are now selectable for you. Some of the textures are also better balanced to give you more consistent results… you won’t have to guess what color you need to find to make the red feel red, for example. It will just work.

Tier 2 medium, female, here. The glow is a sickly grey colour on all pieces, despite blacks and reds being used for both skin and armour colours. Loving the change, apart from the horrible new ‘third’ dye slot’s position on the legs; but I really hope this glow can become a bit better. Since the set only has three dye slots as of now, how about adding a fourth slot purely for the glow? How’s that for control?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

All right, so I noticed in the character select screen they were more of a blue, perhaps it’s mixing my pink glow with the green eyes. In the cave it looked rather sinister dark.

(Edit: Added an older picture to compare.)

2nd edit: the eye thing is in the tracker, I did not see this earlier:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/My-eyes-are-now-solid-black-after-patch

Attachments:

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

in Sylvari

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

I don’t understand why you have tier 3 medium sylvari armor for males/females underlined. They DO glow!!!! They have glowed since the game released. They glow the most in my opinion than the other cultural armors!!!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Kristen Perry.5260

Previous

Kristen Perry.5260

I originally started typing up a big post about explanations and reasons and theories, but I think that they’d get in the way of the point I’m trying to make, so I’ll keep it as concise as I can.

What is:
Glow mask areas remove the shiny effect beneath them in the current system.

The armor glow and skin glow are two different systems. The only control currently possible is through the armor dye of that area.

What will be:
Textures: I’ll get the textures to work like they used to. By this, I mean they can go back to darker and have their gradients as much as I can while keeping the glow.

Dye Masks: I will get them to behave more like the old shapes, but you’ll still see some tweaks because of the glow. I see a couple folks mentioning dye masks being removed. This was unintentional and I’ll look into it.

Glow Shape: I can minimize some of the glow layer shape in the texture so it doesn’t affect the broadness of specular as much. You’ll get most of your shiny leaves back.

What I’m working on:
The glow isn’t as rich and saturated as one would predict. This wasn’t touched and is not a part of the texture or dye files, even though the dye shape is now controllable. There may be a way to get this changed on the shader, but it would only affect cultural armor and nightmare court stuff, not any clothing.

The glow can get to be more aligned to the color. If you dye the shape blood red, it will glow like a traffic light. If you dye it dark red, it’ll glow dark red. If you dye it pink, it will glow pink. If you dye it white, it will blow out so bright. …if you dye it black or dark dark dark, it’ll barely glow if at all.

By dying it dark, you can effectively artificially “mostly turn off” the glow. This is the biggest middle ground while still giving the people who love the glow their choice as well.

Thanks everyone for your feedback on this change. I tried my best to explain this system and what I’m working on, but there are technical elements and nuances that are fairly complex to describe. Note that any changes I could make will not get into the game the next build release. But they may get into the build after that. Now back to work for me. :}

in Sylvari

Posted by: sheelzi.5803

sheelzi.5803

Thank you Kristen, I only have one character and this was a game breaker for me, especially after spending so much on the new dyes. I could have sworn that the armour glow was linked to the skin glow because I used a makeover kit to reduce it on the T2 light. Anyway, cheers.

Cyrsly – Necromancer – Whiteside Ridge

in Sylvari

Posted by: Theodorick.5208

Theodorick.5208

The same way we can turn off glow on our Sylvari can we turn it off on the T3 Sylvari light armor please? I liked that T3 armor because it had no glow to begin with.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Hvitr Fenrir.2643

Hvitr Fenrir.2643

Thank you Kristen , for such a fast update on the armour glow status! Really looking up for the changes you working on, they seem great if they work as mentioned.
Keep up the good work and may our sylvaris shine as bright as the pale tree once again (or stay in the depths of nightmare if they which so hehehh)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sunshine.3415

Sunshine.3415

By the way I am SO STOKED about having glowy armour now, I’ve always felt it’s a shame for it not to glow, and now my dude looks super stellar in his armour! Makes our cultural armour far more unique than the other races (or should I say even more unique).

in Sylvari

Posted by: Renske.6178

Renske.6178

Thank you Kristen for the information! Good luck on working on it!

I’m especially happy that using a dark dye will (partially) remove the glowing effect. Because right now black/dark parts of the armor would glow up a bit white at night which made them very washed out and dull looking because the result would be some grey ish color. If they were to stay dark if dyed dark that would totally solve my problem!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Lorelei.7809

Lorelei.7809

Thank you for the update! This should make everyone happy – the people who want more glow and the people who want less glow. I do think everyone loves the textures so getting them back (as best as you can) will be lovely I can’t wait for these to come into effect. Now I know I need at least 1 heavy armor Sylvari and I should go for more Sylvari cultural armor on my Mesmer
I know you mentioned that you were going to look at T2 Light for a bit of a rework – I would love for the veins of the leaves to glow, if possible. I think that would be a really neat effect. I love how the T2 Light set shows of character pattern and glow, so I will have the challenge of matching character glow to armor glow

in Sylvari

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I do have two Sylvari. My male is wearing a medium T2 and my female got a medium T1. The medium T1 basically did not change. I really do like changes which were made to the dye patterns of the medium T2.

There are some issues I have with the T2 though:

• The already described white glow. But I guess Kristen is already working on that one. Thanks!
  • The shoulders are way darker than the rest of the armor. Therefore, I do not use them. I can’t get the colour to match the rest of my armor.
  • The chest piece has a very weird greyish area on the back where the leaves are connected although my Sylvari and his armor are dark purple. Is this on purpose? It does not change no matter what I dye it but it also does not really match my skin tone.

Btw… glowing shows in armor previews now. That’s new, right? Thanks for that!

Attachments:

(edited by Xaylin.1860)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Wiz.1543

Wiz.1543

Maybe not so very constructive but I just had to say this:

Kirsten & team I really appreciate that you are working on the Sylvari and keep improving them and letting us know where the development is.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Mixing T2 and T3 light on female doesn’t really work as well as it used to because the glow is so vastly different (i.e., T2 pants glow on the flower while T3 chest pretty much glows all over the place on the front). I’ve liked the T2 glow for a while now and it sounds like the T3 glow might be more like that in the future (which would be nice).

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ocelot.4278

Ocelot.4278

I could really use some help on How/what to dye to make armor glow?. Im STILL not sure if male T3 light armor glows as i can’t make it glow, despite the OP saying it can’t glow it looks like by some of the later SS that it dose.

Or did i just spend 80 gold and scrap my awesome angle of death T2 mix for non glowy armor that now dose not dye properly?

(EDIT)
Dose not glow, despite some misleading pics.Still a cool set of armor but i couldn’t get a good match of dye with the front pants leaves.

(edited by Ocelot.4278)

in Sylvari

Posted by: stjf.7180

stjf.7180

With all these changes I’m going to try to get the OP up to date with all the changes, please stick with me while I work on this.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Lorelei.7809

Lorelei.7809

Thank you stjf for working on this!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

if kristen can reply, it’d be great, if not, oh well but when do you think further changes will be made to the cultural armor sets (sylvari)? extra tiers with glow/better glow is what you are working on right?

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

in Sylvari

Posted by: SaltyDave.7346

SaltyDave.7346

I clearly remember that I could color a 3rd part of T3 medium shoulders. I’m playing a female thief, and there is a part of the mentioned shoulder armor (which is a long, narrow leaf hugging softly around both shoulders) the pointy yet kind of ball shaped end of the leaf that goes into her decolletage on the front side had a dye slot and did glow together with the rest of the T3 armour.

Currently this dye slot is missing and the color of that part is defined by the skin color of the sylvari wearing it. I really don’t like this change, I usually dye my armors with a dark outer part and a close to white but still recognizeable green for the inner parts. I loved that little part of the armour, going straight to her heart being a light, glowing thing that soooo perfectly worked together with the T3 chest armors glowing stripes. It was like a seemless transition from chest to shoulder armor and now it’s gone, and all we have left is a dead, not glowing, almost “otiose” thing that looks so weird going under her skin.

Can we please have back the 3rd dye slot for T3 shoulders? I’d also like to get back the original T3 chest armor glowing colors. It used to be like this:
http://i.imgur.com/lcvaFX8.jpg . A mix of yellow and grey. I did not changed my character with total makeover kit, but after the second update of sylvari armors that again made the glowing front part’s color defined by skin color, it’s a flat green instead of this seemless transition from green to greenish-yellow. It felt soooo much more natural and living.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

I would love for the t2 light armour to glow. I wanna be a tree-pixie!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

I’ve had my my TA medium coat for ages now, but I always feel like it’s not as “living” as it should be. By design, I like it much more than any of the cultural coat medium coats, and I know it works differently on sylvari than it does on other races – there’s an area where the skin tone bleeds on the coat (which I personally love). So, if glow would be added to that armor for sylvari, that would be absolutely lovely.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

TA armour does glow. I’ll edit in some screenies later.

Edit: i’m wrong ^^ only the light armour has any appreciable glow, which seems absurd.

(edited by Funky.4861)

in Sylvari

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

Any clarity on if male TA light armor glows?