Do you hate Trahearne?

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

I liked him a lot more before he was forced into the starring role. He felt a lot more authentic, humble and thoughtful in the early sylvari arcs, and would have made a much better supporting character for the final arc, being an expert consultant on Orr for the Pact. Throwing him into a leadership role almost seemed to make him out of character compared to his earlier role in the story, as well as stealing the spotlight from the player character, so while he’s not a terrible character, his implementation is kind of poor and I can understand why so many players dislike him.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

i find him annoying, too much talking and there is always seems to be something missing

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

I don’t hate him. I was disappointed with the personal story from his introduction on because it was like my character changed personalities, and I didn’t think he was well introduced, but his character isn’t someone to loathe for me… more just someone to be exasperated with, and maybe to pity.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I neither like nor hate Trahearne.
He is a character that gets thrust into a position that he seemed to not want to be in. I personally rationalize him being so flat and emotionless sometimes because he’s coping with being in a position that’s pretty far outside his comfort zone. -shrugs-

I also realize from a game point of view that it’s better to let an NPC like Trahearne (or anyone else besides the player character) become the supreme commander of the Pact. Otherwise, /everyone/ in the game that goes through the Personal Story becomes the single Supreme Commander… Which wouldn’t make any sense at all…
(It’s a lot like hearing someone boasting about how they killed Zhaitan in character. My character would look at them funny… But I digress…)
Back on track, I never feel like Trahearne stole any thunder from me. His Wylde Hunt was the cleansing of Orr. /Not/ the destruction of the Elder Dragon… That task was for us (the player characters) and if we failed at that, then his mission would fail…

I guess in the end, I wasn’t playing the entire invasion of Orr campaign looking for glory and to be a hero. My character had a job to do, and she did it. The restoration of Orr can be done by Trahearne and he can go back to his comfort zone of being a scholar while I go after the next challenge that arises…

Anyway, that’s my 2 copper…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: incandescence.6784

incandescence.6784

He orders you around like a lackey, showing little respect, and there is no justification whatsoever as to what is so wonderful about him and why he should get to do so. He’s incredibly arrogant and condescending. And your character is like, “Yes, sir! Sorry, sir! Can I please lick your boots, Trahearne?” It’s a crock of poo-poo, doesn’t fit your character (certainly not mine), doesn’t really fit the story at all.

Easiest way to sum it up for me is that the personal story becomes incredibly boring, irritating, and a chore once Trahearne is in charge.

The way the whole focus becomes centered around Trahearne’s character and for no apparent reason is quite strange, there really must have been a developer there at Anet who just fell in love with him in a semi-real way, just had a passion for this Trahearne guy, and managed to inflict their bizarre fetish onto the million and one rest of us.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

After playing the personal story through on three characters, I just find him horribly boring. If I had a choice and could avoid him completely, I might not mind seeing him once, but more than once is just too much!

For a main character he lacks depth and emotion.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

Trahearne seems like a fairly classic example of an author (or in this case probably authors) falling in love with their own character, and deciding that we, the readers, should all love it too, without really giving us any reason to.

On paper, Trahearne is an interesting enough character, has a reasonable personality and so on.

Yet in game he’s pretty irritating for, I suspect, a very large proportion of players (most? perhaps not, but far more than feel any positivity towards him, I suspect).

Why is this? Because he robs the player of agency, and act as a star, when the PC has been consistently built up to be the star, until Trahearne arrives (in the mid-story – he is fine in the Sylvari story as a peer). Suddenly we have this guy who isn’t doesn’t have any obvious personality traits, isn’t funny or witty or charming, and doesn’t look like much, and he is put in charge for somewhat murky reasons.

Worse, instead of him being a conventional “commanding officer” type, who it would be easy to love or hate, and certainly easy to respect, he attempts to be more of a “friendly boss”, and thus the writing basically forces your PC to be his buddy, which is uncomfortable, given you probably have no reason to want that, as a player.

The writers clearly like him a lot, as he is given plenty of time to talk, to give fairly unimpressive speeches, and conversations with him tend to be 75% Trahearne, 25% or less your PC, and indeed we learn far more than we might want to know about him, whether we want to or not. I consider it a mercy that we weren’t forced to go through some sort of “Trahearne’s past” sequence.

I suspect part of this is because the writers weren’t allowed to do much with the PC themselves, as by the end of the game they have become “Generic PC” instead of “Norn” or “Priory Recruit” or the like (which seems a perverse progression in many ways), so they decided to focus on Trahearne instead. I feel like that turned out to be a mistake, because there is really nothing to latch on to about Trahearne to care about, his relationship with the PC is hard to get into and seems forced, and in general he carries the unfortunate aura of a “GMPC” or “GM’s Pet”-type character, particularly as he continually turns up in your story even whilst supposedly commanding this army.

On top of all this he seems like a rather sketchy/shady character, no so much because he is a Necromancer, but rather because a lot of strange events seem to happen to benefit him, or to get him to “show off his skills” or “prove his importance”, all of which is probably just questionable writing designed to show how KEWL he is, but gives the impression that he might actually be up to no good, and that our PC is dumb dupe for going along with it all.

Certainly my wife felt quite certain Trahearne was up to no good, and can make a pretty good case for it. She’s so annoyed by him now that she skips any dialogue where he is present. Personally I feel like if I have to choose hate/no hate, I go with hate, but really I just feel like he’s a really badly-presented character who has far too much screen-time, and thus he takes me out of the game and out of the story. He’s the complete opposite of Kormir, who ArenaNet managed to make consistently interesting and cool, despite making her into a god. So I know they CAN do it right, they just didn’t here. I certainly do hope he does a “face-heel turn” as it were, as he’d make a much better villain or neutral manipulator-type figure than the terrible “friendly boss” he is currently.

The TLDR of it is that ArenaNet’s writers seemed to want us to like him, but almost completely failed to give us any reason to do so, thus he is rather irritating.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: fruitsalad.7263

fruitsalad.7263

god, at least he does something in the story – unlike thackeray. could be worse. could be logan thackeray. ¬_¬

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

I dont really care about him one way or the other. But in my mind Sieran will always be the person in the PS who represented the sylvari. She’s atleast the best example.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

I made a sylvari called “Tráhearne Jr” so no.. I don’t

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I don’t dislike him. But some HUGE mistakes were made with him during the personal story.

He’s a somber and very introverted character, prone to silence and solitude, and awkward because of years of practicing those habits. But he is intelligent, strategic, and driven. And I actually really really love that they put such a character in the game, few writers are brave enough to put true introverts in their stories, especially as a central characters, it’s nice to see one as not only a main character, but as a hero.

But, after establishing him as such a character, they completely ignored that during so many sections of the personal story. The later you get in the story the more he says and does things that do not fit his character; the ridiculously flowery and emotionally driven speech, constantly asking for advice, making decisions quickly and firmly rather than slowly and concertedly… and the list goes on and on.

He was completely disconnected from his established persona all the way up until you find him hiding from the party during the celebration of Zhaitan's defeat. Where for the first time in over a dozen story steps he is actually acting like himself.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I dont really care about him one way or the other. But in my mind Sieran will always be the person in the PS who represented the sylvari. She’s atleast the best example.

Agreed. Also my favorite mentor character. But people seem to dislike her. Wonder if it is because of the whole Trahearne hate parade.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Phex.8423

Phex.8423

I personally liked Trahearne. I admit his personality came off as a bit too flat perhaps, but I don’t think he was intended to be a cheery/happy character anyway.

He comes off as a kind of bookish and introverted to me. Maybe even a bit sinister due to his profession as a necromancer and because of his Wyld Hunt in Orr. I think Anet wanted to show that off by picking a calm/monotone voice for him. Not saying there’s nothing wrong with him, but I enjoyed the character and was glad to help him.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Hopelessalchemist.4816

Hopelessalchemist.4816

My first main was a human warrior. I joined the Order of Whispers and fell in love with Tybalt. We got to Claw Island, Tybalt died, and for the LONGEST time I wanted for Trahearne to be the one that was sacrificed. Then I started playing sylvari. I love sylvari and I realized why Trahearne’s so freaking useless:

It’s that sword. Dudes, when I had to use Caladbolg in my lvl 28 chapter I hated it. With a passion. I died multiple times and I longed for my proper ranger skills. After that I continued to main sylvari, and after doing all three of the 11-30 sylvari story lines Trahearne is just there for me. He’s an NPC that I resent because he let’s your Order mentor die, and then later he summons like 3-4 flesh golems to help you out in a different chapter.

(Why didn’t he do that at Claw Island if he’s got enough power for it? I will forever hate the devs for that having the story play out like that.)

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

NPC deaths are always hard to do well because of that “So why didn’t I/that NPC actually use my/their power X, Y, Z to save them?!” issue. I am finally working on my main’s personal story, and encountered a really, really bad example of that in Orr. I was fighting a named enemy with about half a dozen NPCs — and all of a sudden a long cutscene began in which one NPC went down, cried for help, another NPC distracted the enemy and was killed by it. I just sat there shaking my head in disgust over the sheer ham-fisted stupidity of it all. What was my character doing during all that time? What were the other NPCs doing? Standing around with our collective thumbs up our backsides? Ugh. That enemy was alone and a pushover, at no point was anyone reasonably at risk from it. At least the mentor death happens off-screen while our character has a good reason to run.

But, yeah, for a unique weapon of legend, Caladbolg sure doesn’t pack much of a punch.

And I also second the opinion that having a more introverted, quiet character in a prominent position is good, and too rare. Not everyone has to be a shrieking extrovert with a huge gimmicky quirk as a stand-in for actual depth.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

(Why didn’t he do that at Claw Island if he’s got enough power for it? I will forever hate the devs for that having the story play out like that.)

What it all comes down to is inconsistent writing. It’s quite sad because the writing in GW2 starts off so well, in the 1-30 range (with only a handful of missteps, like the Sylvari twins), but then, for the rest of the game, it’s very uneven, and by the time you’re in the 60s it’s become “Welcome to the TRAHEARNE SHOW!” with Trahearne treating you much the same way Leno, Letterman, or whoever treats his main musician, only our characters are forced to be more respectful.

It’s just misleading to call that your “Personal Story”. It’s not. It’s Trahearne’s story. Which would be fine if it was called that, acknowledged as that, and so on, but it isn’t.

The stuff with the Flesh Golems later is SO sketchy that it made my wife quite certain Trahearne was up to no good – I mean, if not, why did he suddenly do that then and never before? If anything, that situation was far less dire than previous ones.

And I also second the opinion that having a more introverted, quiet character in a prominent position is good, and too rare. Not everyone has to be a shrieking extrovert with a huge gimmicky quirk as a stand-in for actual depth.

Inconsistent writing really undermines that, though. Trahearne is not consistently quiet and introverted, nor does he grow in a believable way. He’s that early on, and it makes sense, but then later he randomly switches between that and being a bossy, loud prat, and gives tons of questionable speeches.

Plus he gets so much time that almost none is left for the PC, which is just bloody silly.

(edited by Eurhetemec.9052)

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Sounds an awful lot like Trahearne. Hearing him talking about anime and Daft Punk makes me like him a bit more.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Faowri.4159

I think that’s a general problem with Anet’s writing though. I call it “there’s a spell/device for that”. Their core systems of magic and technology are so ambiguously interwoven into the plot that for many problems in the story, especially in the later chapters, some NPC will come along with a gimmicky spell or device they conveniently know about/found/invented that will solve it. It makes consistency a bit hard to achieve because there wasn’t one that didn’t feel like it hadn’t been made up on the spot instead of tied into some solid, underlying system of magic or tech.

The Living World suffers the same problem. That whole thing during the Dragon Bash investigation where Marjory pulled some magic-detector thing out of a hat. It all feels incredibly random to serve the moment-to-moment needs of the plot, and it’s nothing to do with Trahearne.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: revodeel.2651

revodeel.2651

Hate? No.

Extremely annoyed at? Yes.

Would I enjoying killing him, rezzing him, and killing him all over again repeatedly? You bet you sweet Sylvari kitten I would!

Do not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: ragingbear.2548

ragingbear.2548

I think that’s a general problem with Anet’s writing though. I call it “there’s a spell/device for that”. Their core systems of magic and technology are so ambiguously interwoven into the plot that for many problems in the story, especially in the later chapters, some NPC will come along with a gimmicky spell or device they conveniently know about/found/invented that will solve it. It makes consistency a bit hard to achieve because there wasn’t one that didn’t feel like it hadn’t been made up on the spot instead of tied into some solid, underlying system of magic or tech.

The Living World suffers the same problem. That whole thing during the Dragon Bash investigation where Marjory pulled some magic-detector thing out of a hat. It all feels incredibly random to serve the moment-to-moment needs of the plot, and it’s nothing to do with Trahearne.

The hallmark of bad fiction writing is events happening because it is convenient. Guild Wars 2 doesn’t really ever establish rules in regard to how magic works and by doing so allows the writers to pretty much make it all up as they go. The plot also struggles with a sense of scale and believable villains. After blowing up the single corpse ship with ghostfire you’re told that the armies of Orr will have no more recruits. What? Did they only have one ship? Were there other ships that were attacked by other Pact squads? This is never mentioned or explained. Zhaitan is poorly delivered as well. Every time you strike a blow at him by killing the Eye or the Mouth or whatever someone always remarks, “Oh did you hear him roar? The dragon must be afraid.” Really? I wouldn’t expect Zhaitan to be that upset over the eye. Or a boat. He’s a giant dragon. Why wouldn’t he attack Divinity’s Reach or anywhere else right away? Are their defenses strong enough to be a threat to him? If so why is his coming viewed as a threat to the entire world. The armies of Orr are held at bay as well. I’ve never completely finished the main plot for this reason. Every time I play a mission I feel like I’ve accomplished nothing and am completely unnecessary to the plot. Trahearne is the least of anyone’s worries when it comes to the writing.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Grenix.1576

Grenix.1576

Hes not among my favourite gw2 NPC’s, but i dont hate him. He has his path set out for him, and it troubles him. You have an even wurse path set out for you as your dream involves dragon killing! At least he often stands his ground and isnt dead on the floor all the time like the other NPC’s :p

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

It’s a lot easier to not hate Trahearne as a Sylvari because he actually makes a lot of appearances in the early Sylvari story quests. So when he suddenly shows up on Claw Island you aren’t meeting a new character but greeting an old friend.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Ellisande.5218

That’s why I advocate for writers to sit down and decide on the metaphysics for how the magic in their world works and make sure never to deviate from it.

I think Robert Jordan was one of the best at doing this even though he himself sometimes deviated from time to time.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Ellisande.5218

NPC deaths are always hard to do well because of that “So why didn’t I/that NPC actually use my/their power X, Y, Z to save them?!” issue.

Deaths that occur during a cutscene defy the entire purpose of a video game as an interactive medium by removing the player from being able to interact with the game for that one crucial moment where the player knows that if they had been able to interact with the game that death wouldn’t have occured. It is from the player’s perspective a deus ex machina.

This is true even during a PNP RPG. I understand that the GM has a story they want to tell, but they need to do so within the context of the game as an interactive medium and not as a movie or storybook.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ashes.9586

Ashes.9586

It’s kinda like how you and other characters can take multiple shots in a game (such as Mass Effect) but as soon as a cut scene starts everyone is free game to being one shot in the chest through armor and shields.
“The only way to fix cut scene damage is in a cut scene.” -Dr. Mario

The Legion Calls

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Ellisande.5218

It’s kinda like how you and other characters can take multiple shots in a game (such as Mass Effect) but as soon as a cut scene starts everyone is free game to being one shot in the chest through armor and shields.
“The only way to fix cut scene damage is in a cut scene.” -Dr. Mario

No it’s quite different. When I talk about interaction I mean how the character’s actions determine how the story progresses and the player determines that character’s actions. That interaction is the difference between a video game and a video. When you kill off characters during a cutscene you deprive the player from being able to interact with the story during the scene that they would have most wanted to interact with the story in and thereby completely trod on the purpose of having an interactive element in a video game. At that point the player is made to feel that they might as well have just plopped in an actual video because there is no difference.

That is especially troubling in situations where the player’s character in the cutscene acts completely inapposite to how the player has been developing and making the character act up to that point in time.

So I don’t really have a problem with Aeris dying in FF7 (as I view the phoenix downs to be elements which exist as part of the game mechanics but not part of the game’s story in order to balance out overtuned unrealistic enemies the player faces) however I have a problem with the overarching story of Mass Effect 3, especially every single section associated with Kai Leng who has an aura of Shephard incompetence -20.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

Very well said, and this baffles and disappoints me all the more because I bought GW2 partly due to the impression that this setting was actually better thought through that say WoW, where “facts” change at the drop of a hat and no one knows how to even spell “continuity”.

The asura in particular are just a giant blob of convenient deus ex machina, though Scarlet and the Aetherblades are getting even worse. It’s a particular irritation for me because it’s all pseudo-technobabble in a game that I thought would be high fantasy but barely contains any actual magic or mysticism in its writing.

NPC deaths are always hard to do well because of that “So why didn’t I/that NPC actually use my/their power X, Y, Z to save them?!” issue.

Deaths that occur during a cutscene defy the entire purpose of a video game as an interactive medium by removing the player from being able to interact with the game for that one crucial moment where the player knows that if they had been able to interact with the game that death wouldn’t have occured. It is from the player’s perspective a deus ex machina.

This is true even during a PNP RPG. I understand that the GM has a story they want to tell, but they need to do so within the context of the game as an interactive medium and not as a movie or storybook.

I’m a bit more forgiving of such things in a computer game, which simply has no hope to match a decent GM’s ability to improvise and adjust to the characters — but so many cutscenes in games are just so bad in terms of stripping characters not only of agency but also of anything resembling brains and competence. Ugh. That is what really gets to me. I like a good death when it “fits” the character and situation. Forgal’s death works for me, as does …

Tegwyn

… later in Orr. But the issue of Trahearne’s inexplicable minion swarm which is inexplicably there in one mission and then inexplicably fails to be seen ever again is a prime example of the game’s story often feeling like a disjointed mess in which each chapter was written by a different person without any contact with anyone else.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

A friend of mine sent this to me today. A simple, little reminder that tipped me over the edge and made me a true Trahearne Hater.

Attachments:

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

After 6 Norn I finally made a sylvari (I love them too, just… my norn love is great!) and it helped me warm to Trahearne a bit, though I did not find him so annoying before…

…the annoying thing is that the story ends up on a railroad speeding down the same track the whole way to the end after Claw island, despite choices in missions and such. It’s just a long orgy of “Hey, good you’re here, we’re about to use magic item of winning this fight, please help us!” – the interest is just so much less. I think that is because it’s just more interesting and also easier to write story on a smaller scale, in the episode-like fashion GW2 uses.

So yes, I mostly feel Trahearne is a victim of that.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

I hate him because he is an unforgiving Mary-Sue. He takes credit for events the player does, is universally loved despite being as interesting as a wet blanket, and lets not even START on that godawful VO.

And, speaking as a Sylvari, let’s not forget that the kitten Pale Tree gave him my sword! What the heck does a scholar need an epic sword for? I’m the one who’re supposed to fight the dragon, not stand in the back shouting advice.

^ Agreed. Especially the Mary Sue part.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nightingale.9714

Nightingale.9714

Gone through the personal story 9 times. First on a sylvari, then started on other races. Trahearne only serves to remind me of what i’ve lost during the story (the specific people from the orders) His bland, monotone voice conveys little to no emotion and the way the story is written gives me absolutely no reason to empathize or care about him. One minute youre there with a cool character you care about (Tybalt for example) and the next, theyre gone and all you have left is Trahearne’s uninspired saltine cracker character in your face. The personal story was developed around him from lvl 50 on, it’s not about you anymore. Youre just there to watch him fulfill his Wyld Hunt and bask in the admiration of the members of the pact while you sit on the sidelines.

In my opinion the only possible way that anet could make up for him would be to: Give him a horrible, horrible fate. Like getting turned into some dragon’s general or something. Something that 1. removes him from the story as an important character. 2. Gives me a reason to be interested in what happens to him. If they make him an enemy, it would be excellent.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Now that I got to Trahearne on my human thief, I can see where the dislike is coming from.

spoiler warning

Apparantly Trahearne and Tybalt go back, being friends with each other. After Tybalt dies (Tybaaalt! ) Trahearne is rushed in as the next ally, while you have little to no knowledge of who this Sylvari is, aside of a bookworm “creepy necromancer.” At least in the Sylvari storyline, Trahearne was already present from the very early stages of the story.

The vibe I got was “Tybalt made a great sacrifice. He was a good friend of mine, and he was a good friend of yours as well. It wouldn’t be right for me to leave you alone in the fight against Zhaitan, and I’ll help in all ways I can.”

Then the Pale Tree comes along: “Trahearne, it’s YOUR DUTY to unite the three orders. Your duty. Yours. That is your destiny. You’re the best for the job. Did I mention it’s your duty?”

Trahearne: “But…I’m a scholar, not a general. I study the Orrians but I rarely engage in combat against them. Isn’t there anyone else who can-”

Pale Tree: “Now now! Put your fears aside. This is your calling, your Wyld Hunt, your destiny.”

And, speaking as a Sylvari, let’s not forget that the kitten Pale Tree gave him my sword! What the heck does a scholar need an epic sword for? I’m the one who’re supposed to fight the dragon, not stand in the back shouting advice.

I thought that too! I’m the one who did all the work to get Calebolg back, and it goes to HIM?! Can necromancers even use a sword?!

The Pale Tree plays favorites. If you ain’t firstborn, you’re simply ‘Sylvari’. At least she likes you a bit more because you’re a ‘valiant.’ But you’re still not a firstborn.

(edited by Arikyali.5804)

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

This is when most people started to resent Trahearne.

Its like handing over the “precious ring” to Golum from Lord Of the Rings

Attachments:

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

“I shall carry Caladbolg back to the Pale Tree, and tell her of this battle.”

No….he wouldn’t….would he? He wouldn’t dare claim all the glory for the battle as he returned Caladbolg to the Pale Tree….

No that’s silly; he’s not like that. And the Pale Tree would have known what happened. I mean, that event would have entered the Dream and she’d be able to see for herself. She’d have called him out.

…Right?

-plants speculation-

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Yeah, except it’s not like that at all.

Per the context, it’s very simple to understand. Trahearne’s going to give the sword back to the Pale Tree, and tell her about the battle you just had.

And as Arikyali said above me, since you’re a sylvari, that experience is now a part of the dream.

Trahearne couldn’t fudge the details even if he wanted to. Which he doesn’t. Because he’s not a bad guy.

I think people hate Trahearne because it’s hip to hate Trahearne. :P

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I actually really like Trahearne.
As a Sylvari I know him form almost the time I awakened- he has always been there to advise and help me and it only makes sense that since our Wyld hunts are linked we share the burden.
He is also the first of the firstborn and as such I respect him.
It makes sense that he is the leader of the Pact because he doesn’t belong to any of the Orders yet they all respect his knowledge.
Me? I am a fighter, Commander of the armed forces is much more my style

Gunnar’s Hold

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Sounds an awful lot like Trahearne. Hearing him talking about anime and Daft Punk makes me like him a bit more.

Yeah, that british documentarian thing, really smooth. He even has that ‘r’ at the end of ‘aw’ words.

I’ve never had a problem with Trahearne’s voice, but I nerd out on documentaries. He was written to be a documentarian on Orr, so I am so not surprised that they picked that kind of voice for him.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

I dont like his personality, but I don´t hate him eather.
I’m a silvary and he fits pretty well in my personal story. He is one of the first, he is like one my specie’s elders. To me is normal that he will always be more respetable than me.
From a silvary’s point of view, he is not a bad character

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: serisho.7053

serisho.7053

Tybalt and Trahearne are my favorite storyline characters for their story. My favorite characters to look at are Eir Stegalkin, Faolain, and Ysvelta.

Check out my color guide!
Color schemes to help you stand out!

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: saintange.5816

saintange.5816

I find Traharne quite attractive! How could i hate hate him?

I don’t understand as well people who complain about him “stealing their spotlight”: i think that those people are too self centered and want absolutely to be the center of attention no matter what.
Seems like they only enjoy something if they get all the glory.

With Trahearne i really felt like i was part of a team, and that my best friend was fighting by my side. The threat given by the dragon is so gigantic, did you really expect that your main character was going to take care of it all by himself like a boss? that’s would be not believable at all.
The main story shows that to achieve great things we need to be united and make everybody work together, and we are just a part of that big movement among others.

Chandiell-Chronomancer

(edited by saintange.5816)

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I hate Trahearne because of what he could have been but never was. A relatively reserved cautious scholar that needs to follow his wyld hunt and become a confident competent leader in the war against zhaitan.
Instead we get a character who has very little personal growth and ‘sorta kinda’ leads the pact. He never really gets into the role laid out for him and it could have been awesome if he did.

And, he is absolutely not confident at all.

I don’t mind him being the “major” in our story line. I can understand this and I don’t mind being a good Number One. But he just doesn’t inspire. Whatever you do, if he’s around, you’ll hear a negative remark that we will fail… And that’s the bit that really gets to me and why I don’t like him. So much negativity…

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

It’s a lot easier to not hate Trahearne as a Sylvari because he actually makes a lot of appearances in the early Sylvari story quests. So when he suddenly shows up on Claw Island you aren’t meeting a new character but greeting an old friend.

SPOILERS IN THIS POST
^This exactly! I do like Trahearne, but then again Sylvari was my first. So my personaly story went from meeting my Destiny’s Edge member Caithe, to me meeting Trahearne from the start and was told how his hunt lines with/is simlar in nature to mine (to me it hinted/foreshadowed/I assumed that we are going to be killing stuff later together). SO you know more stuff happens you meet your order mentor, you see your buddy Trahearne again, your mentor sacrifices themself, and you party up with Trahearne and he make you his right hand man. Which basically fits in all nice and flow together, for the Sylvari.

In fact I even remember reporting it as a bug in the text for Claw Island how they are reintroducing me to Trahearne and attacking like I never meet him before. Little to my knowledge then, that it is just set up that way for the other races. So from the other races perspectives he really is a nobody that is trying to take your mentors place after Claw Island and the stories don’t flow together at all. Their story go from Destiny edge member, to mentor, to Trahearne which just seems like you are being thrown around not progressing. Not to mention the fact that you just meet him and he is willing to make you (a stranger) his right hand man doesn’t exactly make sense.

For all those who hate the golems, I justify it to the fact that he didn’t fight much before Claw Island so he didn’t have the power/experience to summon all of them then. But since he started leading everyone he gained experience/“skill points” and unlocked it for himself. But that’s just what I say to myself to justify it.

So overall I like Trahearne, but playing my personal again on other races I see why there is no love for him and I myself might not like him as much if I started as a different race. Since you are basically being pushed into being his lacky right after your mentor dies. While from a Sylvari point of view you “decide” to help out an old friend with the same goals to honor the memory of your mutual friend.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: nica.5829

nica.5829

I made a sylvari called “Tráhearne Jr” so no.. I don’t

You stole Trahearne’s spotlight! Genius

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: kuscheldrow.6415

kuscheldrow.6415

See Picture and sig for answer.

Attachments:

Trahearne <3

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I like him and don’t really get the hate. I mean I can see why some might dislike him a little, but hate? Nope, don’t get it.
I also liked Kormir though, not like the players could become a god afterall. That would be stupid.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Alienmuppet.1942

Alienmuppet.1942

The main thing that annoyed me about him was, almost every time we went into a dangerous situation he’d say “this won’t end well”. That’s not what you want to hear when you’re all keyed up to kick bottom!

Do you hate Trahearne?

in Sylvari

Faowri.4159

The main thing that annoyed me about him was, almost every time we went into a dangerous situation he’d say “this won’t end well”. That’s not what you want to hear when you’re all keyed up to kick bottom!

I see this complained about a lot, and I don’t know if I’m alone in this, but before I really read any of the Trahearne dislike on the forums, I never interpreted it as “oh no we’re gonna lose”. In my mind it was one of two things: either a battle threat (“This won’t end well (FOR YOU)”), or a general melancholy “We’re going to have to kill you now, and this makes me sad” remark.