How do I defeat the Nightmare Court?

in Sylvari

Posted by: garyoak.7284

garyoak.7284

I’m having great difficulty defeating the Nightmare Court after the rescue of Ysvelta goes horribly wrong!

At first I thought my level was too low but I continued to die in combat even AFTER I reached the recommended level of 8!

What do I need to do to defeat all of the Nightmare courtiers?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

Guild Wars is not a normal MMO, in that you stand in place and get hit over the head repeatedly. Its very strategic, you have to time your few abilities properly, and move about the battle space in a tactical manner.

For instance, you can dodge attacks. Either through rolling, or, if you have sufficient speed, running out of reach of the enemies while you wait for a particularly useful skill (like a healing ability) to become ready. Also, when fighting multiple enemies, AoE attacks are the most useful. Its possible you don’t have the right weapon for the job.

Most players have two weapons keyed for melee and ranged, and switch between them.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in Sylvari

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

That particular story mission is a little bit hard, but remember that when you die you don’t lose your progress and can keep running back and battling the NC.

Try and learn the enemies patterns and when to dodge, see if anyone else in the open world will come and assist you, if you’re in a guild then ask them, if you aren’t I strongly suggest you find a guild.

It would be helpful if you said what profession you are, it would give us a better idea what skills and mechanics you’re dealing with.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Dangbat.2804

Dangbat.2804

That was one of the hardest parts I have done so far—it gets better. Remember, you can always run back and start from where you left off. (Pick them off one by one on the edge.)

in Sylvari

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

I was new to the game when I did it, so I sorta ended up doing it by the “brute force” method. That means quite a lot of running back.

I like to imagine now that I’m more experienced I’d be able to get it in one go now. Just like my necro hasn’t been downed nearly as many times leveling or story missioning.

Live and learn. Die and learn faster.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Sylvari

garyoak.7284

I finally killed Renvari after reading all of your advice! I even gained a level from repeatedly killing so many Nightmare Courtiers so I’m a level 9 warrior now!

The problem now is that I exited to desktop when I came to deciding between protecting the village or continuing to rescue Ysvelta. Now it looks like I have to kill the Nightmare Court and Renvari all over again!

Is there a way I can avoid having to do it all over again?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

Afraid not. You must complete each personal story module completely before logging off GW2.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in Sylvari

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

I finally killed Renvari after reading all of your advice! I even gained a level from repeatedly killing so many Nightmare Courtiers so I’m a level 9 warrior now!

The problem now is that I exited to desktop when I came to deciding between protecting the village or continuing to rescue Ysvelta. Now it looks like I have to kill the Nightmare Court and Renvari all over again!

Is there a way I can avoid having to do it all over again?

Ah, this mission is the one I thought it was. It was difficult the first time around for myself, I didn’t realize Renvari would be invulnerable until I finished mopping up his minions. And by dying and going back to the start, I wound up with said minions waiting for me at the front door. That was fun.

If you have to restart – ow – I’d recommend starting by pulling them one or two at a time.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

in Sylvari

garyoak.7284

If you have to restart – ow – I’d recommend starting by pulling them one or two at a time.

Yep, that was exactly what happened! Here is my YouTube video of me getting slaughtered by the Nightmare Courtiers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJR8RoLTXwQ

What can I do differently?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Secro.5039

Secro.5039

Hey mate,
A few things:
I’d ditch the mace/shield for leveling up. Press “o” to open up the trading post and buy yourself a level appropriate axe if you want to keep the shield, or a greatsword if you aren’t fussed. Just that alone you’ll probably have a much easier time.
If you press the little arrow above your number 7 skill you’ll see you can assign abilities to that number, that’s another skill you can use in combat that will help you.
You aren’t really using your abilities at the right time either.
Mace can be a bit tricky for a new player in my opinion, but just have another good read of the tool-tips.
Another tip is that you are turning using the keys and not the mouse hold down right click to control the camera along with W to move forward and you’ll be able to move quicker.
The TAB key will cycle through targets as well to make picking a new target snappier. Just need to be a bit quicker on the movement as well. There is gaps of like 5 seconds where you just stand there getting hit on.

Hope this helps.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Perhaps just to add – you can damage more than one opponent. In your video you are taking the melee mob out first while getting hit from afar. Try to position yourself so that you have both mobs somewhat together in front of you and each swing will hurt both of them.

I agree with Secro – try different weapon combinations. Both the mace and shield are more defensive and in this scenario you would like to kill them quicker.

Have fun

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Sylvari

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Yep, that was exactly what happened! Here is my YouTube video of me getting slaughtered by the Nightmare Courtiers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJR8RoLTXwQ

First of all, stop keyboard turning.
Secondly get a Greatsword.
Thirdly, stop keyboard turning.
fourth, get a utility skill.
fifth, stop keyboard turning.
sixth, honestly, perhaps drink some coffee or something before you play. Your reactions are pathetically slow.
seventh, stop keyboard turning.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

in Sylvari

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

To start you have Caithe and Tiachren riding shotgun against four courtiers and… you abandoned them and tried pulling in the opposite direction. You tried alternating between long wind-up shots and random uses of mace/shield taking on trash mobs one on one and, uh, well…

In that situation, I would’ve loaded up Axe/Shield, let Caithe/Tiachren draw aggro for a moment, then swoop in and start hacking. The AI isn’t smart, but it can still be useful. Trash mobs in large numbers is bad news, but they’re easy to overcome as long as you wipe them out quickly. Axe is great for that, it has a nice wide swing, mixing up Axe 3 never hurts, and you still have your shield. Shield blocks are kinda useless, however, unless you can take advantage of pairing the block with a Regen.

Its also been a while since I dusted off my warrior, but I’m pretty sure Banner of Strength is a tier 1 utility. Load it to slot 7 and drop at the first sign of trouble. It’ll cover your partners in crime as well.

… Man, now I want to roll up a Sylvari warrior and give this one a shot.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

(edited by Uruz Six.6594)