Is the female Sylvari sound of pain bothering anyone else?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nefara.2186

Nefara.2186

I love so much about my Sylvari female, the armor, the exotic skin tones, the “hair” styles, but this has been bothering me for a while. The sound of pain a Sylvari female makes when she gets hit sounds like a little dog, or someone having an orgasm. Or maybe a little dog having an orgasm. It’s this very high pitched “ahf ahf!” noise that just pierces through all of the other sound effects. I couldn’t tell you what my Norn, Human, or Charr sounds of pain sound like because they’re so easy to ignore or just blend seamlessly into the other effects, but the Sylvari sound has been etched into my brain. I can recall it even now while I’m typing and it just bothers me.

Would it be possible to replace it with something else? or maybe just lower it a bit, I think it being so high pitched might be part of it. Does it bother anyone else?

Musically inclined individual forever on the lute treadmill.
Check out my songs for the harp !
My guide for beginners!

(edited by Nefara.2186)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Timbersword.9014

Timbersword.9014

Human female with a great sword. I swear she’s squeaking with nearly every attack, and it definitely doesn’t sound natural. I can’t tell if it’s a bug affecting pitch or using a different voice set or what.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ikoshin.2430

Ikoshin.2430

Every now and then even after the patch to fix the voices, I have only noticed when I gain a speed buff my female sylvari will sometimes say “I can run as fast as a Centaur!” there would be no other “floppy humans” around me. It dose not happen all the time but seems random none the less. Has also happened a few times in my personal story where I had been soloing them as well. But I have noticed that the pain noise for them its extremely exaggerated, last night i jumped and fell like 3’’ and She screamed like she was jumping off a tall building. I was like o_O ok… there have been instances when I have gotten the yell way after I fall too, I’ll hear this random scream of bloody murder like 20 seconds after whatever triggered it.

(edited by Ikoshin.2430)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nevare.8657

Nevare.8657

Worst thing I’ve heard from my sylvari female is her auto attack with scepter earth attunement. MASSIVE scary groan every 4 seconds.

Nevaree – Sylvari Elementalist
Leader of Systemic Rebellion [SR]

in Sylvari

Posted by: Kahna.1026

Kahna.1026

Worst thing I’ve heard from my sylvari female is her auto attack with scepter earth attunement. MASSIVE scary groan every 4 seconds.

I know exactly what you’re talking about. It was obnoxious enough to make me reroll my elementalist as a Norn :/

Aoileann » Sylvari Mesmer
[ Serenity and Scars ] of Tarnished Coast

in Sylvari

Posted by: Laufey.5129

Laufey.5129

Yes, the yipping is bothering me a bit as well. I’m not sure where you’re getting the orgasm association from, but I agree with it sounding like a small dog. I wish they’d change it or turn it down a bit.

in Sylvari

Posted by: GamerGirl.1496

GamerGirl.1496

I agree as well, it is very annoying and a bit scary at times.

But I do like how she says “I’ve never been here before” when she discovers a new area. She sounds so excited and I love the slight accent.

in Sylvari

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I’m not bothered by it, but I am bothered that they used same sound as asura female for some attacks.

Human female with hammer on the other hand…

in Sylvari

Posted by: Mystique.6793

Mystique.6793

I cannot stand the sound of it. It’s even worse when doing TA Exp runs, when everyone is nuking a female Nightmare Court NPC and you just hear dog yapping. I hate it in PvP too when I’m under attack and my illusions also make the noise when they take damage. ><
It really should be changed, have an option added to turn off your own character sounds/dialogue or just alter the frequency of which our characters/sylvari female NPC’s make pain sounds. Its very irritating and ridiculous.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Violet.7935

Violet.7935

Lol. I’m so glad others feel the same way about this. I especially hate it when my Sylvari gets a crippled effect on her. She makes this terrible “Ooooooaaaaaaah!” sound and won’t stop until the end of the duration. I play a thief so she also does this weird yell everytime I use death blossom. It’s very annoying.

The rate these sound effects occur should be toned down. Maybe every 10th hit or something. Or only if a crit lands.

in Sylvari

Posted by: SunRain.8972

SunRain.8972

one time.. i thought a dog barked outside my house.
i died a couple minutes later realizing it was the sylvari i attacked.
I felt so dumb :\

“From the place where we are right
Flowers will never grow
In the spring.” – Yehuda Amichai

in Sylvari

Posted by: Violet.7935

Violet.7935

This should be moved to the suggestions forums so we can all suggest they tone down the combat sounds. >.>

in Sylvari

Posted by: AlienMagi.7102

AlienMagi.7102

Yep, constantly hear that sound in wvw, annoying as hell, sounds like puppies running through the battlefield.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nefara.2186

Nefara.2186

The rate these sound effects occur should be toned down. Maybe every 10th hit or something. Or only if a crit lands.

Only on crit sounds good to me, and lowering the pitch of it would help too. Also, only playing the sound ONCE (a single “ah!”) would be a big improvement. The rate is definitely too high, it’s every single fight I get into even if I don’t take more than 10% damage.

Musically inclined individual forever on the lute treadmill.
Check out my songs for the harp !
My guide for beginners!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I can’t wait for the Pale Tree to grow some tennis courts.

In all seriousness, I’m more annoyed by the Centaur line for humans.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Excelliate.7914

Excelliate.7914

Every time I’m crippled. “WaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAooooooOOOOOAAaaaaaaGggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Regnum Ascalon [RegA] ~~ Dragonbrand

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

The Sylvari sounds of pain don’t bother me nearly as much as the Norn female pain sounds do. When you jump off of something a little too high I swear its a male voice you hear cry out.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

I don’t really mind it, it doesn’t bug me too much. If you really want to hear something funny, play a female Sylvari Engineer and use the last rifle skill. The little shriek of glee on flying into the air makes me smile every time.

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

in Sylvari

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

I got kind of used to the sound now, but initially I disliked it so much that I re-did some of my character-class choices due to it. I wanted a sylvari guardian, but figured I would go bonkers if she tanked anything. Ended up with a sylvari thief, who is good at avoiding hits, and a mesmer who usually tries to stay at max range.

Still not fond of that silly girlish sound.

in Sylvari

Posted by: TheRamosOnline.2670

TheRamosOnline.2670

Just so you know, Sylvari share their voice clips with humans for attacking and taking damage.
:|

But yeah, that noise annoys me a lot.

in Sylvari

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

I just started a female sylvari character this past weekend and yeah, it is bothersome… especially when it happens over and over again in quick succession like if i get hammered with dmg by a golem for example.

TheRamos, i have played a human female to level 80 and beyond, and i can’t say i’ve ever heard her yelp like my new sylvari does.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

I was on vent and the person I was talking to was part of a zerg taking a keep, there were about five sylvari AND a human warrior using a greatsword all getting hit with an arrowcart.

I honestly couldn’t stop laughing.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

I can’t wait for the Pale Tree to grow some tennis courts.

In all seriousness, I’m more annoyed by the Centaur line for humans.

Haha they’d win the Tyrian Tennis World Cup for sure!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Duncan.7294

Duncan.7294

When they jump it sounds like teh sechs.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Well it worries me. Everyone knows that if you are wounded you don’t let on. It attracts predators. Every time she starts her caterwauling I find myself going…shhhhhh shhhh the raptors will hear!

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I do agree that my female Sylvari’s sounds of pain do sound a little… odd. More like gasps of surprise than anything else. I’ve kind of gotten used to it though. Perhaps the Sylvari do not really feel pain in the same way that animals do, after all.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Never really bothered me.

“A Nightmare!” That one always makes me lol.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in Sylvari

Posted by: Gallian.7630

Gallian.7630

I do not have a Sylvari character yet but – indeed – I keep hearing them around as I play when they get hit. They are easily distinguishable in the environment when as you play you suddenly hear the high-pitched squeaking slowly fading in and getting closer, then you (I) think “Great, can’t hear my music now…”.

«Ahw!» «Ahf!» «Ah!!!» «Yeah baby!» (seriously though…)

I usually let them go by or I move away and as they continue getting hit I hear that fading out in the distance and can finally hear my custom ambient music again. I make it sound like it’s very serious but really I’m just usually cynical (or at least sarcastic, but for this it wasn’t sarcasm) most of the time. It’s not that big of a problem, but it does annoy me sometimes.

in Sylvari

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

i had to turn off my sound effects because i can’t take the anime sex noises anymore. it’s a shame because i love everything else about her.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Dispari.3980

Dispari.3980

I love my squeaky British warrior plant!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ponzu.4570

Ponzu.4570

have u guys tried sylvari female when you type /surprised

it’s pretty well done actually xD

lvl80 sylavari Engineer
Crystal Desert

in Sylvari

Posted by: Arquin.1349

Arquin.1349

Jennifer Hale <3

in Sylvari

Posted by: main character.5460

main character.5460

The dog barking and scepter auto-attack “wOoOoH” sound they make is really awful. Hopefully the devs clean up the audio for our characters next major patch.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Smertnik.6194

Smertnik.6194

Every time I’m crippled. “WaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAooooooOOOOOAAaaaaaaGggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!”

This one is bothering me more than anything else. I started hating being crippled just because the character sounds like she’s being skinned and dredged with salt afterwards every time you get the condition.

in Sylvari

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

What about when she gets smashed into the ground? She sounds like a lamb lol

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Sylvari

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

Lol. I’m so glad others feel the same way about this. I especially hate it when my Sylvari gets a crippled effect on her. She makes this terrible “Ooooooaaaaaaah!” sound and won’t stop until the end of the duration. I play a thief so she also does this weird yell everytime I use death blossom. It’s very annoying.

I completely agree, the cripple sound is really-seriously-annoying. If you’re fighting earth elementals then you pretty much hear it non stop. It forces me to mute the game.

in Sylvari

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

the voice acting is really really corny in cutscenes too. it actually makes me laugh out loud sometimes.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Mephane.8496

Mephane.8496

Human female with a great sword. I swear she’s squeaking with nearly every attack, and it definitely doesn’t sound natural. I can’t tell if it’s a bug affecting pitch or using a different voice set or what.

And this. At one point I had a Sylvari Ranger to ~lvl20, when I finally decided to reroll as a different race, the endless pain sounds had become unbearable. I also scrapped my plans for a human female warrior a few minutes after getting my first greatsword, the out of place squeaking sounds or just unacceptible.

in Sylvari

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I didn’t understand what you were talking about until i went in Twilight Arbor dungeon…my good you’re rite it sounds like an annoying small dog non-stop barking when you inflict damage on those nightmare court females.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Aurorablue.5163

Aurorablue.5163

A lot of voice affects are horrible. My main is a sylvari and my partner who doesn’t play Gw2 was like why does that dog keep barking in your game?

Human female even worse with the noise she makes when wielding greatsword.

Who in the sound department chose these horrible sounds, they should be fired or at least get their ears cleaned out.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Irie.7149

Irie.7149

I can’t stand the female sound of pain x.x

in Sylvari

Posted by: Asraishalo.8601

Asraishalo.8601

Oh definitely this! It’s so annoying! I wish there was a way to turn it OFF.

in Sylvari

Posted by: notacrook.6973

notacrook.6973

I made a thread in the suggestions board about this same topic. The sound is really annoying, and borders on inappropriate. I just wish they would give us the option to turn the pain sounds off, if nothing else. I understand that it would be a significant undertaking to re-tool all of the pain sounds. But please, just let us make it stop, without taking away from the rest of the audio in the game.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Xocolatl.6890

Xocolatl.6890

The question you should be asking is, “is there anything about Sylvari that is NOT wrong?”

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Inappropriate? That seems a like a bit of an exaggeration. They mostly needed to decrease how often they go off (which I think they might have because I don’t hear my character making noises for quite as long after falls and such but I could just be getting used to it).

in Sylvari

Posted by: Rarespawn.6028

Rarespawn.6028

You know what annoys me almost as much as the crippled sound effect? When I am using my guardian special ability to give everyone speed, and she yells out ‘RETREAT!’

We aren’t always retreating you know…esp. in WvWvW!!! Inevitably someone on vent asks whose character it is that keeps yelling retreat. Yep…that would be me…

Mesmer 80, Elementalist 80, Guardian 80, Ranger 40

in Sylvari

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

The female sylvari crippled sound is almost the most annoying thing in the game, the most annoying thing being that this sound is repeated every few seconds.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Okuza.5210

Okuza.5210

Sounds like we need a statement from ArenaNet to the effect that no Chihuahuas were harmed while recording the female pain effects.

in Sylvari

Posted by: thrice.9184

thrice.9184

The sounds bother you? Really?

………………………………

Im gonna hold that one in.

Ranger put into Retirement due to Anet Abuse.
9/3/13 rip

in Sylvari

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Not female, but I love my male Sylvari and think his voice suits him, but my god. The awful, pained yelling and grunting sounds he makes when he jumps, almost every time. It used to be funny, but it’s gotten old since launch. Especially when I’m doing jumping puzzles.

It wouldn’t be so bad if it didn’t sound like someone had just punched him in the gut.