Missing Glow after Makeover Kit

in Sylvari

Posted by: Recklessone.7142

Recklessone.7142

After using a “Total Makeover Kit” my Sylvari no longer glows…
(I changed gender/color/glow/pretty much everything)

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. OR if someone can verify that they still have their glow after using the Makeover Kit???

Message to Arena: When jumping into the water. During the time it takes for my character to equip her underwater helm. I have been able to see the glow effect that I designed when I used the Kit. However, once the helm is equipped, the glow gets canceled and does not return.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zionka.6897

Zionka.6897

I used the total makeover kit just for hair and glow, was disappointed I could not preview the glow while changing it in the makeover panel,(even with doing the light change thing) but winged it. It has not been night time yet in game for me to see if it’s working in game, I’m just commenting that it wasn’t working during the makeover.

Anyway, yay on finally being able to change my horrible hairdo with it’s glowing hot pink tips

edit nope, no glowing at night, although I did turn down the glow intensity to about 1/4 on the slider, down from about 4/5 up. Still, should be having some glow at night, and I don’t.

~Jade Quarry Server~

(edited by Zionka.6897)

in Sylvari

Posted by: QtHuynh.1893

QtHuynh.1893

I think you forgot to change the glowing setting, because it has no glowing by default.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Niji.8034

Niji.8034

Now I’m afraid to use that kit. Don’t want to lose the glow.
I’ll wait for other statements :/

Lazul – Sylvari – Elementalist
Drakkar-See[De]

in Sylvari

Posted by: QtHuynh.1893

QtHuynh.1893

I used makeover and set my char glow to 1/4 also. I can barely see the glow, but it’s definitely there. I hope they fix the preview for glowing though since it doesn’t reflect your glowing setting.

in Sylvari

Recklessone.7142

I think you forgot to change the glowing setting, because it has no glowing by default.

Thanks for your input QtHuynh. This led me to use another makeover kit to see if my problem was caused by user error. And I found something interesting.

When using the Makeover Kit, the glow portrayed on your new character is stuck at the same intensity as the character you were changing from.
EX: My “old” sylvari had the glow effect set to max. So when I previewed my “new” sylvari, the glow was previewed as max glow, even thought the slider was set to 0 by default.

When using my first Makeover Kit. I relied on the preview, and thought the slider was set at max already. Upon using this second Kit, my character had NO glow in the preview. Leading me to believe that I saved with first Kit with no glow.

So, this is just more proof that the preview for glowing is messed up. And a reminder not to rely on your character’s preview model.

*I haven’t played at night yet. Once I do, i’ll post again to verify that I see the glow.

in Sylvari

Recklessone.7142

In CoF right now. I am confirming that I am glowing. So there is nothing wrong with using the Total Makeover Kit. Just the preview is messed up.

Shame I had to use 2 kits tho…

in Sylvari

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Thank you for the info Reckless, I simply want to change my eye color but your thread title scared me a little. I didn’t want to lose a Sylvari unique feature but now I will make sure to pay attention to the glow slider. Although, my Sylvari is a thief, so its kind of weird why I would want her to glow at night in the first place…….

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Sylvari

Posted by: Edenwolf.6328

Edenwolf.6328

I used the kit to change the angle of my eyes and still had my glow after.

Alistat the White-Guardian, Edenwolf-Thief, Grimtech Jones-Necro Borlis Pass

in Sylvari

Posted by: Niji.8034

Niji.8034

This is odd.
I used the kit too, and I paid attention to the slider and it was not set to 0 but to max, just as my original Sylvari had. The preview was therefore right.

So it’s a bug (feature?), which not always occurs. I’m confused.

Lazul – Sylvari – Elementalist
Drakkar-See[De]

in Sylvari

Posted by: Moyra.2475

Moyra.2475

Hmm. I thought mine had disappeared too after I used the Makeover kit, but I can now confirm it is in fact still there, albeit more faintly. However, I cannot seem to preview the glow – I just bought another Makeover kit and tested it. Glow does not show when I’m in the Makeover preview screen, no matter which color or intensity setting I choose.

(edited by Moyra.2475)

in Sylvari

Posted by: maaprid.2168

maaprid.2168

Ok 2 things.

1. I could not preview my glow while using the make over kit. (I played with the character creator for a long time, so I knew exactly what I wanted anyways and just made sure the slider was at max).

2. After the kit I did not notice any glow, relogged and there it was. I have also noticed that it doesn’t seem to glow on my home server while in LA, but It will glow on overflow servers (Not sure if there’s a time difference, or why).

in Sylvari

Posted by: spidermitch.3562

spidermitch.3562

Yeah, I bought a Total Makeover Kit, and quickly learned I couldn’t preview the glow color. Really disappointing! I guess I’m gunna hold onto it until a fix…

in Sylvari

Posted by: Cosmos The Cat.2954

Cosmos The Cat.2954

??? I see my glow.

TC Thief
[DIS][STAR]

in Sylvari

Posted by: Half Tooth.1867

Half Tooth.1867

Note for everyone!
I was worried about this, but when you click apply lighting in the character make over screen it applies lighting from where your character is currently standing.
So if you are in a sunnny bright spot you will not see any glowing at all, but if you go and stand in a shady dark spot, or use the kit at night time (in game) you will be able to see the glow effects in the makeover screen.

I hope this helps.

in Sylvari

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

I think in original creation I turned off the glow to help me set skin and hair color and never turned it back on. So I used a Makeover Kit on my Sylvari last night to add glow and change her hair style. While I didn’t see an glow in the preview, I clicked apply and BAM! She glows now in-game. Yay!

in Sylvari

Posted by: AVHero.7382

AVHero.7382

I bought a kit on release. I used it in Lion’s Arch. I think the day/night cycle changed during my makeover, but during the whole ordeal, I had no problems toggling the light on and off to see my character’s glow. It took me an hour to finally finish fussing over my character (did it in like 5 minutes at release), but I could see my glow just fine in the customization window, and it looked the same in game. As others have said, make sure the glow isn’t turned down all the way. Otherwise I’m not entirely sure what causes you to not see your glow.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Rinzler.8072

Rinzler.8072

U can only see the glow in the makeover kit if it is nighttime, even if you toggle the light.

Rinzler [Mesmer] -BROLIS PASS- Violent Tendencies (vT)
Videos:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

The kit does not show me the glow preview when the light button is set to night. I tried changing the colors, changing the intensity from high to low and going into a zone that is at night then trying previewing the glow again, it just does not show it. I am not going to agree to style changes when I can only see the day setting :/

in Sylvari

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I used kit on necro. The light-bulb button worked fine for me. I changed his glow color and put it at 50% from max cuz I didn’t like the color it became that bright. Anyways, his glow is working completely normal still. Was in a dark place in Celedon Forest when I used it~

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Rarespawn.6028

Rarespawn.6028

For everyone having problems with this, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION!

Once in the makeover kit…change the gender of your character to the opposite gender. For example…my character is female, I changed her to male. Go to the glow slider option for the opposite gender(this is the slider below the glow color options), and it will be turned all the way off for some reason. Turn the glow slider back all the way up to max level, and change the gender of your character back to your intended gender.

Check the glow with lights off (wait for the glow to ‘pulse’)…and amazingly, it now works! Took me two hours to figure this out…it is a silly bug, but I assure you this solution will fix it.

Mesmer 80, Elementalist 80, Guardian 80, Ranger 40

(edited by Rarespawn.6028)

in Sylvari

Parvati.5780

For everyone having problems with this, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION!

Once in the makeover kit…change the gender of your character to the opposite gender. For example…my character is female, I changed her to male. Go to the glow slider option for the opposite gender(this is the slider below the glow color options), and it will be turned all the way off for some reason. Turn the glow slider back all the way up to max level, and change the gender of your character back to your intended gender.

Check the glow with lights off (wait for the glow to ‘pulse’)…and amazingly, it now works! Took me two hours to figure this out…it is a silly bug, but I assure you this solution will fix it.

Seriously, thank you. This got the glow preview to show for me, now I can actually change my character’s appearance without having to worry about a random outcome.

P.S: This is a really silly bug. Having to (briefly) gender bend before being able to style the way you want to (silly.)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Siliconmana.3816

Siliconmana.3816

Interesting to find this thread in a search as l’ve also been tempted to buy a makeover kit to fix the glow on my Sylvari necro hair.
In beta she had blue hair with a white glow, which worked fine in all areas, yet on release l made her hair white with a blue glow. Problem is, most of the time, unless she is in shadow, the ‘glow’ is brown. Looks horrible.
Yet l am reluctant to pay to possibly or not, fix a game bug and somewhat shocked to see that others already have done so.
This seems unreasonable and as such l would like some feedback from Arenanet on the issue.

Aside from that, another reason why l haven’t yet purchased the kit was that l wanted to know, if l can’t get the preview the way l want it, is it possible to cancel it. Gw1 and Aion both had NPC’s where one could try out changes before committing. Aion however also has problems with preview colours not necessarily being representative of ingame results. Although ingame of course, is dependent on world lighting and other ambient lighting efffects, used much in Gw2.

As for this bug with Sylvari glows. Has anyone considered submitting a support ticket about it?

[KnT][KnM] – Blackgate

(edited by Siliconmana.3816)

in Sylvari

Parvati.5780

[snip]
Aside from that, another reason why l haven’t yet purchased the kit was that l wanted to know, if l can’t get the preview the way l want it, is it possible to cancel it.rit? [SNIP]

Yes, you can cancel the make over process and the kit does not vanish on activation/if you cancel the process. So you can activate the kit, change some settings and check the preview of the changed settings. If you don’t like it, click cancel to stop the makeover process and try again later (whenever that would be.) Because you will still have the kit, unless that is you chose to accept the changes.

Anet does not undo the style change if you happen to not like the end results after accepting it (style change.)

(edited by Parvati.5780)

in Sylvari

Rarespawn.6028

Seriously, you can fix it by following these instructions:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Okuza.5210

Okuza.5210

Y’all have no idea how hard it is to resist the wonderful straight line in the subject about not glowing after a makeover.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Siliconmana.3816

Siliconmana.3816

Just a clarification as the point of my post, although not exactly on topic was why people should have to spend real money to fix a bug that existed since game release. A fix was applied early at some point although it seems the bug was not effectively resolved or people would not have to be buying makeover kits to fix it. Some response from Anet on this issue would be appreciated.

[KnT][KnM] – Blackgate

(edited by Siliconmana.3816)

in Sylvari

Rarespawn.6028

What bug? I saw the glow on my sylvari when I made her. And I made her on release day.

I thought the problem most people were having was that they didn’t turn the lights off to see the glow when they first made their character. I don’t really see that as a game bug. At worst it is an oversight that they could have done more to point out with a handy tool tip.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

Y’all have no idea how hard it is to resist the wonderful straight line in the subject about not glowing after a makeover.

Oh, but we do. The rest of us just had the strength to avoid giving in. :P

What bug? I saw the glow on my sylvari when I made her. And I made her on release day.

I thought the problem most people were having was that they didn’t turn the lights off to see the glow when they first made their character. I don’t really see that as a game bug. At worst it is an oversight that they could have done more to point out with a handy tool tip.

At one point there was a bug with the makeover kit (not actual character creation) where toggling the light off in the kit interface did nothing. The lighting in the preview window remained the same as whatever lighting there was where you were standing in game. It wasn’t a matter of simply not seeing the lightbulb in this case.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Vixen.3471

Vixen.3471

So I just used a total makeover kit for my Sylvari today :\ She used to be bright pink and glow pink, and I made her alittle more unique by making her dark dark green(Almost black ish green) with amber eyes, and dark dark red hair color, and when she glows, she’s meant to be bright indigo purple…

Only her eyes glow, but her body/hair does NOT GLOW, CONFIRMED, DOES NOT GLOW after a make over kit is used :\ Don’t care what people say, if you change EVERYTHING about your Sylvari? And I do mean ‘everything’ ? YOU WILL lose your glow.

I checked at 3am server time. No glow

in Sylvari

Posted by: Kendyl.1208

Kendyl.1208