Sylvari T3 Heavy cultural on a MALE

in Sylvari

Posted by: Streamline.4085

Streamline.4085

Is the most ugly thing ever. T1 Heavy Sylvari, not bad. T2 Heavy Slyvari, getting good, looking armored up. T3? Holy kitten. Someone in the art department dropped the ball. 120 gold for something that doesn’t scream cultural t3 or style. Looks like garbage. Doesn’t even look planty if thats what they were trying to go for. Looks like someone ripped off all my bark and armor and left me a naked newborn slyvari fresh from the pale dream.

Look at Human T3 heavy, look at Asura T3 heavy, Charr T3 heavy, Norn T3 Heavy. All amazing. You look at your character and you’re proud. When I look at myself wearing T3 Slyvari , all I can think is, “Holy kitten thats ugly” “Wow so ugly” “Good god what was I thinking”.

I know, I don’t have to wear it, and I won’t, but kitten I wanted to be cultural. And for 120g it should be decent at least. I doubt it will ever get changed, I just wanted to gripe about it. The armor looks kitten good on a Slyvari female though. I’ll give them that. The helm on males is good too, I get compliments on that alot. Super sayian 3 haha. But thats the only good part.

Heres some reference:
First, T3 Cultural Heavy
Second, My Mix Match

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Auronde.8961

Auronde.8961

So why did you buy it? You could have previewed it first. If you don’t like a set that costs 119 gold, don’t buy it. Spend your hard-earned gold on something else.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

It’s actually one of my favorite armors in the game. Different people have different tastes.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Altariel.4610

Altariel.4610

Mine T2 light Glowing :P

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Romeo.4378

Romeo.4378

I honestly think the t3 heavy looks amazing, much better than your mix and match. Just my opinion. I am currently saving for t3 medium. It’s taking me forever :’(

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sythus.2396

Sythus.2396

For me, the T3 heavy is the best looking armor set in the game and I love how it looks on my Sylvari (although mine is a female) . It doesn’t look that bad on a male but I have to agree that it is more suited for female characters. It’s still awesome though!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Flyfunner.2093

Flyfunner.2093

@OP: your sylvari is one butt ugly weed. Nice legendary though = )

in Sylvari

Streamline.4085

Okay, why do you guys like it? To me, it doesn’t look like you are wearing any decent armor at all. Ragged skirt thing, and we have ALOT of skirts in this game to choose from already. Chest is ok if you’re into that less is more theme, but there is already pit fighter, gladiator, and barbaric armor which are just straps on your chest. The boots are like little bootys a baby or elf would wear.

I bought it because I had the money to spend and my guildie told me to embrace my culture. I did preview it and I was hoping it would look better on me than in the previews. Plus you need to buy all three tier sets for the sylvari cultural armor achievement.

Don’t need to put my mix and match down either, cuz I already get a lot of praise for it, so it just seems childish to attack me for that.

Looking forward to you’re reasons, because I want to like it.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

You already stated my reason. It looks elegant and elfin. That’s what I like about it. You’re already wearing leaves and twigs with any Sylvari cultural set, so the whole “realistic armor” thing is out the window. Besides, a kilt fits quite well with their culture, literally more than with any other race in the game.

I’m not saying it’s wrong of you not to like it, just that there are those of us who do.

in Sylvari

Streamline.4085

Lol have you seen T2 and T1 heavy? I own both, it doesn’t look like twigs and leafy foliage. Looks like hard segmented wood plates, T1. T2, looks like hard woven bamboo segments and plate. Both T1 and T2 look like I’m ready for a fight. A heavy armored warrior. Anet got these 2 right.

T3 look like I wrapped a leaf towel around my waist after getting out of the shower. The shoulder only covers one side and its really small, like so small, I might as well just turn off my shoulder graphic and I wouldn’t even notice. The spikes on shoulders are just sad. I think they were going for a thorny look, but made them too skinny and flat, so they just look like little needles. The gloves, they got right. Looks like there were gonna have a sweet armored OAKEN (like in the name of the set) warrior all covered in thick bark, but then just scrapped the whole idea, but left the gloves so you can wonder wtf happened. Hahaha. Boots look like something a light armor character should be wearing. Like a bard if that was in the game. Helm is awesome.

Idk if there was a miscommunication, but I WANT to look planty! Thats why I have all 3 sets, so I can always mix some kind of cultural in it. My guys NAME is Hearty Plaintain!

Anyway thanks for replying Urthona, no hard feelings. I just wanted to talk about the armor with other slyvari players.

I ALMOST used the character makeover to make myself female so I could look good in T3. Almost.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Secro.5039

Secro.5039

I agree with you OP.
It looks great on females, but it just isn’t “Heavy” enough for me. The gloves are great as they are bulky solid looking things, i just wish the rest of the set followed that design.
When I think heavy armour and sylvari I think of solid, wood based design. Like a huge, old oak tree.
This set could be passed off as a light armour!
Not saying it’s bad looking btw

in Sylvari

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

I’ll be honest here OP and say that the reason it doesn’t look good is because you’re terrible at selecting colors, trying to get everything in black with tints of yellow or white everywhere.

Try a better color scheme.

Sylvari armors look much better with lower contrast and more simple highlights/shading.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

in Sylvari

Streamline.4085

It okay, I found the answer. “SWAMP THING” color scheme. Doesn’t look half bad now. Pic makes it look darker than it is, though. Haha enjoy the games guys. I won’t be checking this thread anymore. LATES

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I actually feel the exact opposite from what you do. I dislike the T1 and T2 heavy Sylvari armor. Yes, they’re bulky, but they’re also made up of leaves, vines, and petals mostly. I don’t care how thick and bulky a leaf is, its not going to protect you. Bulk isn’t the only thing that matters.

The T3 heavy armor, on the other hand, looks like wood. Its not super bulky, but its solid wood, which is at the very least somewhat protective (still not nearly as good as metal, but its the best you can manage from a plant). Yes, there are some leaves on the T3, but you can see if you look closely that the leaves are simply on top of a full wooden suit. There’s wood under the “skirt” and wood under the chest flower. The leaves are decoration, nothing more.

I wouldn’t mind if they had made the T3 a bit bulkier and in fact I’d prefer it to be bulkier (like the gloves which as you mention look awesome) but IMO, at least its something solid and not leaves and petals. And it still looks pretty nice.

The only thing I dislike about the T3 is the shoulderpad. Not because its too small, I think the size is fine (I actually dislike ridiculously oversized shoulderpads) and I think it looks fairly good, though a wooden motif like the gloves instead of the thorn motif would be better. The problem I have with it is that I HATE single shoulderpads. Absolutely despise them. Why the heck would you ever protect one side of your body only. If they need to be assymetrical in order to accomidate the chest flower bandolier, fine. But one shoulderpad on a heavy suit of armor is stupid.

in Sylvari

Posted by: SuperSpicyCurry.2415

SuperSpicyCurry.2415

in Sylvari

Posted by: OTGBionicArm.2417

OTGBionicArm.2417

I just bought the gloves and man was I upset to find out they are glitched when you move. Look at how bad that’s glitched.

WTF Anet? That better get fixed asap cause I dropped 12 gold on that. :/

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: DrySoy.9682

DrySoy.9682

I think the reason you dont like it is because it makes your sylvari look scrawny compared to your mixed and match armor set. To be honest I love the T3 set, but on your character it doesnt look as good as it would’ve looked on a sylvari with a thicker body. I really like the mix and match set though, I’d change the color of the T3 helm to match it up more with the color of the armor. It seems to be slightly off colored.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Razor.9132

Razor.9132

That helmet is pretty dang awesome, yet it glows at night. What’s there not to like? It’s a perfectly fine, sylvari-themed headpiece. It’s one of the very few heavy armor headpieces in game I’d leave on at all times.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Brandis.2618

Brandis.2618

Gotta admit the gloves look a little awkward but otherwise i say it looks fine :O

Yes I’m a Sylvari guardian. Yes I set myself on fire!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Jujujuju.3954

Jujujuju.3954

I have been saving forever to get the heavy cultural set for my guardian, and when i finally got all the pieces, but didn’t like how it looked on male sylvari, so i purchased a makeover kit from the gem store and switched to female, and it looks a lot nicer imo. here is a pic i took after the transformation.

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Rarespawn.6028

Rarespawn.6028

I will agree I think it looks better on female sylvari then male sylvari. I do think this was a case of the art department being a little lazy and not making the two genders different enough. Just makeover as female and appreciate your new assets!

Mesmer 80, Elementalist 80, Guardian 80, Ranger 40

in Sylvari

Posted by: minion.6245

minion.6245

Looks much better on a female. Different color scheme on my warrior…

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Araris.7839

Araris.7839

I like some of the T2 heavy, but I’m not a fan of T1 or T3. Either way, I don’t think we’ll see a change here since its all in the eye of the beholder.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Saturn L O L.1406

Saturn L O L.1406

DIdnt read any above comments except for the OP’s

What woulkd you expect? You dye the armor so incredibly ugly, yes it sucks then if you have no taste for fashion, you compare apple with pears: an incredibly bad dyed t3 set with a nicely worked out armor set you use yourself.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Andiana.6381

Andiana.6381

i also love that set

in Sylvari

Posted by: Arrow Storm.4618

Arrow Storm.4618

i also think people neglected to notice the fact that the OP’s first post’s photo includes a character that is uncomfortably skinny for a heavy armor class… (who makes warriors/guardians that skinny anyway?)

in Sylvari

Streamline.4085

LOL I’m still getting flamed on this thread? Yes I made a skinny slyvari cuz I wanted to make a warrior and be like a samurai or slender swordsman type. Samurai idea didn’t work cuz there’s nothing like a katana or eastern armor, but I liked my skinny swordsman knight look, but… Update! I caved and bought the remake thing and did max height and body. Guess what T3 Sylvari cultural is still ugly on a MALE.

And all the omg you picked bad colors people, I’ve asked numerous friends and players to come up with a good color scheme. Numerous times. Guess what, we couldn’t find any. I stand around in LA for like an hour every week trying to make it look good. I want to wear it! BUT, the whole set by itself is just so ugly. Mixing and matching I’ve found two schemes that look great. If you have T3 cultural and have a good color scheme, by all means POST A PICTURE or stop talking smack like you know something. I would LOVE to see a MALE character look good in it. I WANT it to look good!

It looks amazing on a female, but why should I have to buy a remake and make myself female to wear an armor supposedly tailored for a slyvari? Minion’s character looks really really awesome and so does Jujujuju’s, but I don’t want to play a female character. And AGAIN cuz people can’t read I said the helm is INCREDIBLE! SSJ3 ALL DAY.

I have a full set of every dungeon armor. I like to look to good. I thought that was what this game was about besides pvp and wvw. But Anet really dropping the ball on all things. And it shows with less and less people logging on in my guild. Wvw out manned everywhere and getting stale. People complaining about bunker and burst builds dominating spvp and tpvp. Don’t let it die Anet!!!

in Sylvari

Posted by: FurryPaw.4852

FurryPaw.4852

I think all sylvari cultural armors look WAY more awful on male characters. Not to mention that T2 heavy has different amount of color options on different genders: on females it’s 2 dye slots on coat and leggings, while males have 3 dye options on those. And those 3 look much more horrible, rather than female 2 xD They just add more mess to the armor Actually T2 for female is more like a medium pretty armor :P T2 on a male is a dirty ugly breastplate of a poor warrior, who made it himself from some junk scraps and leaves.

Now to those who critique the color choice of the OP I will say that it’s really hard to come up with a good scheme. There are two main reasons – first is skin tone colors, that spread all over your armor. And second is – there are no “strict” borders, each dye affects it’s neighbor dye in a very profound way. After using “usual armors” made of cloth, metal, leather – it’s very hard to adapt to that leaf-blending mayhem. You can’t just make it red and white in most cases – you will have some mess between reddish-whitish-grayish+your skin tone bloops all over the place.

And once again, to compare it – take female T2 and male T2: on a female you at least can make a nice distinctive line on leggings, different from the main color of your choice, on a male it’s all a messy mess. They just blend all over, making it look horrible. Now it’s not totally impossible to make it look nice, it’s just very limiting in a way.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’m spitballing a bit since I don’t actually have the T3 heavy armor (and even if I did, my character who could wear it is female anyway) but I’ve found for the Sylvari cultural armor I do have that natural colors look the best. Since the T3 heavy is largely wood / leaves, that’d be stuff like greens, medium / dark browns, reds and oranges (fall colors), and maybe even light grey / black for an aspen or birch kind of look. Actually, with your characters particular skin color and the fact that skin color effects Sylvari cultural gear, the aspen look might be your best bet, since the dark blue might look at least somewhat fitting for that.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Deim Hunir.8503

Deim Hunir.8503

How funny… I actually like the T3 allot and think it even suits the Op’s character and the colour scheme is even fitting :P (speaking especially about the first pic)

(edited by Deim Hunir.8503)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Herio.5890

Herio.5890

I think all sylvari cultural armors look WAY more awful on male characters. Not to mention that T2 heavy has different amount of color options on different genders: on females it’s 2 dye slots on coat and leggings, while males have 3 dye options on those. And those 3 look much more horrible, rather than female 2 xD They just add more mess to the armor Actually T2 for female is more like a medium pretty armor :P T2 on a male is a dirty ugly breastplate of a poor warrior, who made it himself from some junk scraps and leaves.

Now to those who critique the color choice of the OP I will say that it’s really hard to come up with a good scheme. There are two main reasons – first is skin tone colors, that spread all over your armor. And second is – there are no “strict” borders, each dye affects it’s neighbor dye in a very profound way. After using “usual armors” made of cloth, metal, leather – it’s very hard to adapt to that leaf-blending mayhem. You can’t just make it red and white in most cases – you will have some mess between reddish-whitish-grayish+your skin tone bloops all over the place.

And once again, to compare it – take female T2 and male T2: on a female you at least can make a nice distinctive line on leggings, different from the main color of your choice, on a male it’s all a messy mess. They just blend all over, making it look horrible. Now it’s not totally impossible to make it look nice, it’s just very limiting in a way.

I agree 100% with you, sir.

I’ve been in a dilema for a while now, to get heavy t3 or not to get it.
You’ll always look cooler on a t3 cultural for most of the people (omg, he haz dat 120g armor!), plus there’s a few people wearing it at the moment, so you’ll look more exclusive. Too few people wearing it. Even if the cost is prohibitive, the users of human heavy t3 is like 10×. And the reason for that is that many people share the opinion I quoted here.
It’s been surprisingly to read that many of the people who replied here actually like this set, yet, many agreed that on female characters it looks much better, with which I agree once again.
It’s been a while since I’m wearing cultural t2, and after many many tries I found some colour combination that suits my pale sylvari, but still sometimes I get bored and try some new colour combination with a fatal success. But leaving the colouring aside, the t3 gear looks much less “heavy” to me, the legs are almost free of armor, the small boots and some bark from the skirt covering half thigh. One lonely shoulder looking decompensated with the extravagant gauntlets, and then the helmet looks nice.
On female characters this looks way more compensated.
This armor is needed to finish some achievement even.

Some redesign for males fixing the issues I listed would make me get it immediatly, because if it’s true I don’t like it overall, it’s an original set.

Herio, Sylvari Guardian from Gandara.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

I actually like the way the armor looks on the first picture. your character looks like a Sylvarian warrior type. the second picture all i can see is your personal preference, which sure, it does look good, but it is not Sylvarian.

Its all good though because that is what being a Sylvari is all about.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

At least heavy wearing sylvari males actually have some remotely nice looking armor, and whenever I look at the medium armor sets on my thief, and I cry a little on the inside.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

bleh… the medium armor head gear… they are so ugly i think -_- i just go for the gloves and top then the rest TA armor.

in Sylvari

Herio.5890

I just bought the gloves and man was I upset to find out they are glitched when you move. Look at how bad that’s glitched.

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/27483/gw018.jpg

I agree with you folks, that you may like or not the looks of the armor, but could we get this fixed?

in Sylvari

Posted by: nowitsawn.1276

nowitsawn.1276

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/27483/gw018.jpg

I agree with you folks, that you may like or not the looks of the armor, but could we get this fixed?

This was already fixed with the January patch.

I shot the seraph~
But I didn’t shoot the thackeray

in Sylvari

Herio.5890

It’s seems it’s not fixed.

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: nowitsawn.1276

nowitsawn.1276

In that case it got fixed only for female characters. They were just like that before the patch on my guardian, but they got fixed after the January patch.

Pretty strange that they’d fix it only for one gender…

I shot the seraph~
But I didn’t shoot the thackeray

in Sylvari

Posted by: Dante.3780

Dante.3780

After i bought my full t3 oaken set for my male warrior, i had to reply to this posts;
I totally agree with Herio.5890 and Streamline.4085, it’s not really worth buying atm. Why?
1’ – I really don’t mind gloves (even bugged) and headwear, but other parts?
Back looks like naked – should look more like powerful OAK, it’s HEAVY armor isn’t it?
And what about legs? Have you ever seen oak? Dress-like hard lether
Legs down from thighs seems to have like zero protection and does not compose with back
Schoulderguard? One is pretty nice… pity it’s the only one (even smaller 2nd would be great)
2’ – Big armguard mess with helm, kind of texture bug (especially when you use 2 handed weapon), i’m sure you can remodel that nicely, ANet
3’ – All except one physical posture looks thin with this armor
4’ – Guess why it’s the least wanted t3 cultural in game….

I have to agree that it looks pretty cool on female characters, but then, why male have to be down-at-heel? Many people admitted that they changed their sex with makeover kits to make this armor look decent, is that what you want?

You proved you can create very nice plant-themed armors with Twillight Arbor sets, that’s why i bought cultural.

P.S. – Dear ANet dev, please post your thoughts about this topic, many people would like to know if they can expect some changes and save money for male oaken sets or give up and spend it elsewhere

(edited by Dante.3780)

in Sylvari

Herio.5890

In that case it got fixed only for female characters. They were just like that before the patch on my guardian, but they got fixed after the January patch.

Pretty strange that they’d fix it only for one gender…

Perhaps no one noticed before because every cultural t3 user switched gender to female, lol.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Hicci.8761

Hicci.8761

The thing is, T3 is CLEARLY designed for females. Not for males. We demand a real MALE version of this tier!