Sylvari and the dragons' corruption

in Sylvari

Posted by: Hovih.2046

Hovih.2046

Q:

Okay, I was having an idea for a fanfic, but then…
Can sylvari be corrupted by other Elder Dragons? I never saw an icebrood sylvari, or a branded sylvari. Even in the Curcible of Eternity, there are no sylvari test subjects (as I saw) – so the Inquest should know something.
And really, why? They exist for 27 years for now (let’s count the years after release too) and not a single sylvari thought of what will happen is you pet the branded minotaur, or high-five an icebrood?
The Pale Tree said that she’s the one who protects them from Mordremoth (she didn’t exactly say this, but this was the point), but what about the others? “Okay, I protect them from Mord, but who cares about Jormag and Kralkatorric.”

in Sylvari

Posted by: Athrenn.9468

Athrenn.9468

I’m a bit of a lorenoob, but I’m pretty sure that the sylvari are indeed resistant to dragon corruption and are well-aware of this fact.

I remember doing the defence of Overlake sylvari/vigil mission and Brianthyn mentioned that sylvari can’t be reanimated as risen.

in Sylvari

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

The sylvari are resistant to dragon corruption. Dragon corruption generally does not take to a sylvari. They simply die. The exception possibly being Mordremoth.

It’s a popular theory that Scarlet and Aerin were both corrupted by Mordremoth, and while this didn’t entail a physical corruption, they clearly lost their minds.

Another one is that the Pale Tree and the dream serves as a natural shield against this kind of corruption.

Sylvari that willingly cut themselves off from the dream of their people (soundless) or those who have rejected the Pale Tree altogether (nightmare court) are thought to be more vulnerable to Mordremoth’s madness.

This is just a theory at the moment, and I have my reservations with it.

Scarlet was supposedly soundless (in addition to having her mind “opened”) but if I remember Aerin from my time in the Zephyr Sanctum, he was not soundless.

He would go on and on about how happy he was to be there and intended to keep a journal so that even those who don’t share a connection to the Pale Tree (every other race) can experience his joy and experiences.

He’d often ask his mother to guide him in his dealings with the zephyrites. The implications there are disturbing.

That isn’t the talk of a soundless sylvari.

in Sylvari

Posted by: MrGrinse.9581

MrGrinse.9581

Aerin is soundless actually, it is implied by the Zephyrites During the DryTop events

in Sylvari

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Aerin is soundless actually, it is implied by the Zephyrites During the DryTop events

That doesn’t match up to the experience and his idle conversation aboard the Zephyr Sanctum prior.

We do read in his journal that he later rejected the dream of his people and his mother.

He became “soundless” at this point, but that’s not fair to the soundless who aren’t crazy. Some time between then and now, he lost his mind. He was corrupted.

I do believe that Mordremoth can absolutely corrupt sylvari, if not exclusively. We don’t know of corrupted humans or charr of Mordremoth for example.

We just don’t understand the nature of it. How it works. How and why someone like Aerin was corrupted.

We get the jist of how Scarlet was corrupted, but Aerin is a real mystery in that regard. He was a kind, enthusiastic, and cheery kind of guy before he went insane.

It seems to be a mental corruption for sylvari, not a physical one. Though going back to Scarlet, our PCs went through the same machine that was used to open Scarlet’s mind.

Who knows? That might lead to something later.

(edited by CETheLucid.3964)