That legendary sword and the pale tree

in Sylvari

Posted by: riku.2091

riku.2091

The Pale tree has got be the biggest Troll in GW history. Why? Caladbolg. That legendary sword? Let’s see what happened to everyone who got it:

Riannoc: Betrayed, stolen from, killed.
Waine: Terrible hallucinations/defeat by the player in final match
Player: The final Sylvari 20-30 quest. ’Nuff said.
Trahearne: Most hated character of GW2. Maybe she agrees with all those Trahearne nay-sayers?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Illushia.3721

Illushia.3721

Waine’s hallucinations were most likely brought on by his own guilt at condemning a Firstborn to death and stealing his weapon.

The Player doesn’t have any real horrible experiences with the sword. =p

Trahearne isn’t the most hated, I think. There’s a lot of people who like him, they’re just quieter about it than those who don’t.

The Treesong Calling. Tarnished Coast RP.
http://treesongcalling.com/

in Sylvari

riku.2091

It’s not that the sword itself is causing the problems – it’s just the sword has a bad history, but she just keeps giving it to people. :P

in Sylvari

Illushia.3721

It’s a strong sword! =3

in Sylvari

Posted by: Aegrahm.4952

Aegrahm.4952

Whoa now, I love Trahearne. Where is this hate coming from?!?! He is my fav npc sylvari!!!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Merchant Of Shadows.1526

Merchant Of Shadows.1526

i hate when he’s on my team as an npc. he does NOTHING

in Sylvari

riku.2091

I personally love Trahearne. But saying no one hates him is…wrong. xD But the hate seems to be dying down now.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Asum.4960

Asum.4960

It’s not that the sword itself is causing the problems – it’s just the sword has a bad history, but she just keeps giving it to people. :P

Yeah, it’s like “Hey, i heard you will do some crazy suicidal stuff, have some sword, please!?”

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ba air.1372

Ba air.1372

I think she’s a troll for going: “Heyyyy, you there, the one that’s like, four days old, come here and make decisions for the firstborns.

I still haven’t gotten over basically being a child making decisions for the elders of the Sylvari.

in Sylvari

Illushia.3721

Your Wyld Hunt is to kill dragons.

That’s kind of a big deal. The Dream would have given you the knowledge needed(Like tactics and weaponry and magic and whatever else), so they know you very likely know more than them about what needs to be done.

It’s like being 80 but only being four days old. It’d be a little weird, but you know some stuff.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Sylvari listen to anyone who sounds like they know what they’re talking about, that’s been stated as part of lore.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

in Sylvari

Posted by: Marxo.3829

Marxo.3829

I thought Trahearne was a great character. He’s pretty handy in a fight after he gets caladbolg too. Hell, you can’t have the NPCs winning your story quests for you. Play harder!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I like Trahearne. >.>

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

in Sylvari

Ba air.1372

At the same time your character doesn’t really display knowing much. They just pick between two-three options that others suggest. I guess this implies that your character had an idea of what’s best but it sure doesn’t feel like it, especially as all the paths get it done.

Caithe also dreamed of killing dragons so I don’t know why my character has more input than she.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Formis Sage.2638

Formis Sage.2638

I disagree that the player doesn’t have any real horrible experiences while carrying the sword. The damage of mobs during the final Quest at 30lvl was traumatic, maybe not to me specificaly, but definitely to my items and money. :P
Of course depending on which Order you chose.

“Sometimes we all just need to be shown a little kindness.”

in Sylvari

riku.2091

At the same time your character doesn’t really display knowing much. They just pick between two-three options that others suggest. I guess this implies that your character had an idea of what’s best but it sure doesn’t feel like it, especially as all the paths get it done.

Caithe also dreamed of killing dragons so I don’t know why my character has more input than she.

Sisterhood of the travelling angst. And Rytlock, Logan, and Zojja are all angsting.nShe’s got her own agenda at the moment.

in Sylvari

Ba air.1372

Sisterhood of the travelling angst. And Rytlock, Logan, and Zojja are all angsting.nShe’s got her own agenda at the moment.

But she’s there… the whole time. She is present at every meeting with the Pale Tree and most if not all Sylvari missions 1-30. She’s clearly not that busy with the angst if she’s present to have me pick the story path.

in Sylvari

riku.2091

But she’s there… the whole time. She is present at every meeting with the Pale Tree and most if not all Sylvari missions 1-30. She’s clearly not that busy with the angst if she’s present to have me pick the story path.

What happens after quest at level 30? She tries to unite them and it fails. She, like Eir, is probably trying to figure out a way to bring them back together. There are more dragons, and remember, Caithe’s often been described as mysterious and unpredictable.

in Sylvari

Ba air.1372

What happens after quest at level 30? She tries to unite them and it fails. She, like Eir, is probably trying to figure out a way to bring them back together. There are more dragons, and remember, Caithe’s often been described as mysterious and unpredictable.

This does not change the huge plot hole that the play character’s opinions are held over hers involving the Sylvari storyline and that she doesn’t contribute much when she has the same dream and 25 years over me. The after 30 quests don’t matter when I’m talking about the pre 30 ones.

in Sylvari

riku.2091

This does not change the huge plot hole that the play character’s opinions are held over hers involving the Sylvari storyline and that she doesn’t contribute much when she has the same dream and 25 years over me. The after 30 quests don’t matter when I’m talking about the pre 30 ones.

Well, I’ll echo Eir here: “This is your legend, slayer.”

You know all those problems people have with Trahearne? If Caithe, Logan, Zojja, Eir, and Rytlock all took the front seat, they’d be in the same position the story puts Trahearne, we would never hear the end of how these are not our personal stories.

in Sylvari

Ba air.1372

Well, I’ll echo Eir here: “This is your legend, slayer.”
You know all those problems people have with Trahearne? If Caithe, Logan, Zojja, Eir, and Rytlock all took the front seat, they’d be in the same position the story puts Trahearne, we would never hear the end of how these are not our personal stories.

I’m aware why from the gaming standpoint, it’s still silly to me from a writing standpoint. It’s still a plot hole, necessary or not.

in Sylvari

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

I dont like Trahearne.. Hes so… emotionless o_o

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

My favorite part about the sword is this.

It’s a LEGENDARY sylvari weapon. AS in, their masterpiece of sylvari weaponry, powerful, magical, the whole shebang, known far and wide by sylvari.

And not a single person noticed it in the hands of Waine (who as jat tells you was using it in the gladitorial combats for quite some time) until after you show up?

What the hell were the sylvari doing the entire time it was gone?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I dont like Trahearne.. Hes so… emotionless o_o

But he’s a necromancer and studies dead things his whole life. Kinda have to shut off some emotions I think. o.o

I like him. I also miss that sword.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Sylvari

Posted by: DrakeWurrum.6049

DrakeWurrum.6049

i hate when he’s on my team as an npc. he does NOTHING

So basically just like Kormir, complete with the irony that the hatred is entirely derived from poor game implementation, though from a lore perspective he’s pretty awesome.

I hope you haven’t forgotten my role in this little story. I’m the leading man.
You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

Trahearne totally steals all my thunder. I risk my butt to find Caladbolg, and the tree gives it to Trahearne! I pave the way for the union of the three factions, Trahearne becomes their leader! I name our base in Orr “Fort Trinity”, and Trahearne outright says that it was his idea to name it that!

Trahearn can gnaw on the fatter part of my plant butt…

in Sylvari

Posted by: Leogolas.6941

Leogolas.6941

He is the 1st born…. In short Trahearn does nothing of value and gets all the credit.. He should seriously reimburse me 1 gold for the repair bill….

[TSA] The Stuffed Animals
~We Are Deadly When Required~

in Sylvari

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

I just take solace in the fact that the annoying son of a birch is wielding a sword called “saladbowl” :P

in Sylvari

Posted by: Azulu.5926

Azulu.5926

Caladbolg is starting to sound like the Red Violin from the same titled movie. Only the people using it didn’t all die.

Aurora Glade
Brogan Strongblow – Norn Ranger
Naudia Whiteroot – Sylvari Guardian

in Sylvari

riku.2091

Caladbolg is starting to sound like the Red Violin from the same titled movie. Only the people using it didn’t all die.

Only most of them.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Mik Hell.8206

Mik Hell.8206

I don’t hate Trahearne, i just wish my personal story line partner was Riannoc. During his death's vision he does use Caladbolg effectively, killing many risens before being incapacitated and betrayed. Trahearne on the other hand just sits there watching the sky, picking flowers and occasionally hitting something.

(edited by Mik Hell.8206)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Acaelus Thorne.3862

Acaelus Thorne.3862

@Mik Hell with do you expect from someone who is not a warrior! Riannoc was a warrior and caladbolg was made for him to beginning with. What should have happened is that Caladbolg should have changed to which class that weild it. So for Trahearne it’s should have the best staff or scepter.

in Sylvari

Posted by: MLieBennett.9031

MLieBennett.9031

Caladbolg in my Mesmer’s hands was actually good. I.Duelist + Clones did the trick along with Signet of Illusions.

It was just a shame that I couldn’t use my Mesmer’s actual G.Sword skills with Caladbolg rather then the unique ones.
Phantasmal Berserker needed to do its spin with that weapon!

As for Trahearne? How the heck does HE give inspiring speeches with such deadened emotions? Flat, almost lifeless, sounding like a mediocre Text-to-Speech reading his words back to you.

At least he can’t say he was there taking down Zhaitan and watched him fall.

YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN’T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?
- (Death, Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

in Sylvari

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

[quote=161573;riku.2091:]

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.