The Sylvari Armor Dilemma

in Sylvari

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

I noticed a long time ago that sylvari are deformed humans. Everything you put on a sylvari looks 100 times better on a human. So my only option is to go into cultural armor and embrace the plant like creatures sylvari are. Then another problem arises. Each armor class has only 4 sets of sylvari armor to choose from and sadly, my sylvari is light armor. If he were medium or heavy I would be able to find something I thought was half decent but as a light armor sylvari, I hate it all. Point is, I want more sylvari armor.

… I still want tengu.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Other option would be to add more distinction between sylvari and humans but that’s a million times more work.

… I still want tengu.

in Sylvari

Posted by: DuckHunterM.6520

DuckHunterM.6520

I know where your coming from, I’m having a similar(ish) issue with my female guardian, I prefer the look of the Tier1 over the Tier2 and some parts not all I still prefer the Tier1 over some of the Tier3.

With how much these things cost you should really want the higher tiers but I also think there should be at least 3 or 4 of each piece at each tier which will also help with variety.

Also reduce the cost of the cultural armors,

in Sylvari

Posted by: Maelwro.7562

Maelwro.7562

It’s doable, but difficult coming up with a uniquely Sylvari look. This is what I’ve come up with — although still debating on the flame dye as a primary color (contemplating sapphire blue, for a more guardianish accompanying color)

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

I agree on this, (more sylvari armor being in game) and especially on the male light armor. The sylvari light armor looks ok on females but the male equivalents are terrible and was the only reason I didn’t end up making my mesmer sylvari (before launch when making up my toons, my head canon for mesmer was a sylvari who release pollen/pheromones/whatever to cause his mesmer tricks) then I saw the cultural armor in one of the beta tests and he was a dead concept from that point on.

The lack of sylvari armor is what ultimately stopped me making more sylvari since they were going to be my main race before I played in the beta’s and realised the vast majority of armor was human based (even though all races can wear it) and cultural armor was more of a tacked on idea rather than something fully fleshed out and incorporated into the races.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

I don’t see how the regular armors look deformed on a Sylvari.

I’ve seen several who use the regular armors and look great.

in Sylvari

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Twilight Arbor and the cultural are about the only armors worth putting on them. Everything else makes them look……what’s that r word again? ret….something.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in Sylvari

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

I’ve been browsing using a few piece of different “normal” armors on my slyvari while accenting them with TA or cultural as needed. Still a work in progress mind you but I am not unhappy with the some of the results.

However (and this is really a non-human problem not solely a Slyvari issue) most boots scale oddly (as does many of the other pieces with the Slyvari) with the feet to the point of not meshing well with even the complete skin set.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

The feathered crafted set looks pretty good on sylvari too.

Personally, I use a mixture of cultural t2, t3 and dungeon gear for looks.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Destroyer Bravo.5391

Destroyer Bravo.5391

t1 light on men looks fine…

in Sylvari

Posted by: insaneshadow.1654

insaneshadow.1654

You just have to fiddle around in the wardrobe to find something that works. Mixing up different armor with cultural armor (for 2 of my Sylvari) has worked. Here are my Sylvari Thief, Warrior and Ranger. I like mixing armor when possible so I don’t look like anyone else in the game.

Attachments:

Gust Root | Letum Folium | Lo Bridge | Snow Spot | Roland East | Nascharr | Bjorn Microbrew
Yak’s Bend
Lincoln Force [BOMB]

in Sylvari

Kalavier.1097

I think people who can’t get a decent look without using the planet armor either are refusing to try or don’t take the time to go through all the options

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sime.3681

Sime.3681

None of my sylvari wears a plant armor – and I´m really OK with it, because I don´t like when I look like 80% of other players. But you have point, more plants armor would be great for sure

in Sylvari

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

I think people who can’t get a decent look without using the planet armor either are refusing to try or don’t take the time to go through all the options

Maybe it is because the plant armor being specifically designed for the race is currently the best options for appearance. Maybe? Yeah….that.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in Sylvari

Kalavier.1097

I’ve seen a number of Sylvari using non plant armor and having good looks. Heck, I wasn’t even going to use plant armor as I didn’t like any of the medium sets until wardrobe came out and I could actually mix and match the armors instantly without running between merchants.

Ended up using plant armor on the one based off, IIRC, Tier 1, tier 2, AND TA armor.

in Sylvari

Protoavis.9107

Or you know, we already have half a dozen human characters and don’t want to wear slight variations of the same gear on all our toons….

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

in Sylvari

Posted by: MrGrinse.9581

MrGrinse.9581

Personal I have found a set that balances the plant nature of slyvari with a human design. The Exalted set!

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Kalavier.1097

Or you know, we already have half a dozen human characters and don’t want to wear slight variations of the same gear on all our toons….

The funny thing is…

My three medium armor characters look nothing alike armor wise (Ranger norn, charr engineer, ranger sylvari), my two heavy armor characters look nothing alike armor wise either (guardian norn, warrior human leveling but her planned look is different then norn’s).

If was to to make another female spellcaster, they’d look drastically different then my necro, and my asura mesmer and human male ele are also planned to look unique.

I’m sorry, but I don’t see how you can’t get a good look for your character with ALL the options out there, without looking like a ‘slight variant of another character’.

in Sylvari

Protoavis.9107

The funny thing is…

My three medium armor characters look nothing alike armor wise (Ranger norn, charr engineer, ranger sylvari), my two heavy armor characters look nothing alike armor wise either (guardian norn, warrior human leveling but her planned look is different then norn’s).

If was to to make another female spellcaster, they’d look drastically different then my necro, and my asura mesmer and human male ele are also planned to look unique.

I’m sorry, but I don’t see how you can’t get a good look for your character with ALL the options out there, without looking like a ‘slight variant of another character’.

You’re making the assumption that everyone has a max of 3 for an armor class…given some players have 40+ characters….

Remember not everyone plays like you, using your stance and only yours is going to prove wrong for a lot of people who play in ways you haven’t even remotely considered before making completely baseless points.

That and aesthetic preferences differ. I mean you may think your toons outfits are the best but that may not be true for others who see them. When it comes to aesthetics you can’t really dictate how others see them like you’re attempting to do, the saying goes “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” for a reason.

(edited by Protoavis.9107)

in Sylvari

Kalavier.1097

I personally hold a stance of if the outfit looks good together and matches the character, I’ll say so.

I might not use it personally, but I’ll admit it looks good. I’m merely pointing out the repeated posts about how Sylvari CANNOT, EVER look good without plant armor is not true.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Anyori.4598

Anyori.4598

I personally Love the Seer and the order of whisper outfit on my male sylvari mesmer

in Sylvari

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I’d like a sylvari-ish Flamekissed set… T_T

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Sylvari

Posted by: Solitaire.3680

Solitaire.3680

I made a sylvari necro and it took me a while to choose it because I thought she only would look good in plant armor but I gotta say I was really wrong.. I have enjoyed her looks of wearing most of the light armor in the game even the vigil armor i wore for a while because I think as Sylvari they are curious and want to learn and fit in the world so wearing many armor types is perfect for them not just the plant armor. They can fit in practically anywhere and are shown to be quite diverse.
If anything I think Norn women have a harder time pulling off most light armor because they are quite thick and muscular and don’t look great in the frillier dainty stuff. Though to each their own! I don’t find them remotely as deformed humans either, I love their swaying figures and idle animations much more than humans who yawn and look bored kicking rocks and stick their chest out half the time.
My sylvari is going to keep rocking all the varieties of wardrobe tyria has to offer!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Twilight Arbor and the cultural are about the only armors worth putting on them. Everything else makes them look……what’s that r word again? ret….something.

Totally agree with you!
Just what I think:D

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I really, really want a full Toxic armor set.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Lorelei.7809

Lorelei.7809

I agree… we need more leafy sets xD

I’d also really like a non-cook leafy town clothes set (I think it looks a bit goofy on other races).

My issue is that the only armor sets I can use Dryad gloves (light T3) with (that are leafy, aka Nightmare and cultural), are Snapdragon (light T1) and Dryad (light T3). I’d love to use those with Nightmare (I think the Nightmare arms look a little awkward anyway – TBH I think the arms might just be better without the skin tight covering). I’m not terribly fond of Snapdragon (though I like showing my glow, it’s a bit on the skimpy side for me – seems also rather thin). So if I were to get Dryad gloves, I’d need the Dryad top…. I’m thinking about getting a T3 sylvari set with a mixture of Light and Medium (head and shoulder pieces up in the air, gloves for light, boots for light, leggings for light, coat for medium), but looks like I’ll have to double up on the coat XB.

Any light top suggestions that might look good with Dryad gloves/leggings/boots for my Mesmer that aren’t 30g?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Carapace is a great step in the right direction.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Ehh, not quite “planty” enough, in my opinion. Still holding out hope for a full Toxic armor set.