Why all the Sylvari hate?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

Regarding Scarlet – all we really know is that something was already inside her mind when she went into Omadd’s device. That does not mean that that ‘something’ is an inherent part of sylvari nature. It may be something that was pushed into the Dream by a source independent of the sylvari that Caera happened to have come into contact with. It could be that the dragon or its champion had been specifically targeting Caera, and Omadd’s device sabotaged her defenses. The ‘sylvari are descended from dragon minions and Omadd’s device unlocked that nature in Scarlet’ interpretation is only one, and as I’ve described above, all of the other evidence for the dragon minion hypothesis has been debunked.

Could it also be possible that Caera had picked up her unwanted “passenger” prior to Omadd’s experiment? The Sylvari physiology is not well understood, even by the Sylvari themselves. So could it be possible their physiology has a containment protocol in case of a mental hijacking, say from a demon or something that possesses the body in a similar fashion?

In a thread on the Lore Forums I read there are quite a few beings whose corruption and influence appear similar to the Elder Dragons, so could it be possible one such being was behind the corruption?

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Sylvari

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Also a possibility. That adds the question of what some other being would gain from doing so – but there are answers to that question (basically boiling down to expecting the dragon to undermine one of the entity’s enemies – which brings us back to Scarlet’s quote about setting forces against one another).

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Sylvari

Posted by: hashtag.2368

hashtag.2368

They resemble like humans and try to act like them

in Sylvari

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

I’m calling an inquest-dragon link.

No particular reason, except for proximity and all the inquest research into dragons.

When the cyclopian golem servents of Mordremoth come stomping out of the jungle, I’m going to say ‘told you.’

in Sylvari

Posted by: Chuck Nizzle.6283

Chuck Nizzle.6283

Dude I don’t know what people mean, sylvari are awesome! They have:

1. Skin available in pretty much every color.
2. Story line that is most relevant to dragons.
3. Main character is Trahearne, who is a sylvari!
4. They are a wise race, but not as unintelligent as the norn.
5. The’re the most hipster class: human and norn are pretty unoriginal, EVERYBODY wants to be a charr, and asura? meh, sylvari are more original.

So why the sylvari hate? I dunno, guess they’re too hipster for most people lol….

in Sylvari

Posted by: Cruril Darksbane.2318

Cruril Darksbane.2318

Whenever I look at this forum I see at least 3-4 threads titled “Sylvari must die” etc. WHY?? You wouldn’t see stuff like that on the other race forums and they all have their bad counter parts e.g Char~Flame Legion and Norn~Sons of Svanir. Just because the main anarchist of the game is Sylvari why should the whole race be condemned to “Evil killer plant people”? Do you think that if the main anarchist was a different race, would people hate that race instead? I just think its a shame to hate such an amazing people on the basis that one was mad……… Gimme opinions on this pelase

Honestly?

Because they are dull, uninteresting, and silly race. Whose only purpose in the game was Trahearne, who is the worst character I have ever witnessed in a storyline of a RTS/MMO. He blatantly steals the story, all to advertise how “awesome” Slyvari are when infact all he does is highlight all my gripes with Slyvari.
Let me list them;

1. The whole concept is flawed, the fact they are called Slyvari to begin with suggests a long living elf like race that is both wise and knowledgable. Instead they are children, this left me dumbfounded and simply made me say, “So you called Dryads Slyvari, Ok… can I kill them all now?”
  1. I am of the belief and opinion that they replaced Tengu, which to me is a huge mistake. All because the head lore keeper liked the concept of them. The thing is, Tengu have been around since GW1, not only that but their history is rich and colourful. Full of culture, lore, loss, victory, and the fact GW1 had a event dedicated to Tengu made them highly popular and desired. In Slyvari what’s interesting I mean, magical trees? Pfft. Yeah no I seen this 100 times before. Wlyd Hunt interest? Again seen it before yawn countless times. Trahearne does this very well you see not only does he make you go on a magical adventure with a tree but also constantly brings up the fact his Wlyd hunt is to heal Orr and that is why he must now take your place as the main character, that and the stupid sword which in the cutscene didn’t actually do ANYTHING.
  1. What do they bring to the table, I mean honestly. What do they bring, they have no redeeming features (except the snare), their living story is utterly love story after love story (No No in a MMO) and serves no reason other than to make them seem like the child-like race they are meant to be.
  1. It makes no sense, in GW1 we had a fair few expansions and you try to lead us to believe they exsisted all that time? Yet we never encountered a single one. Yeah no, this is bad story telling 101.
  1. Trahearne
  1. Trahearne

Sorry but trahearne deserves to mentioned twice in his own sperate points dedicated to the joy of Trahearne.

I find it disturbing that people claim the Slyvari to be original despite the fact they are the least original race in the game. While Tengu are the most.

in Sylvari

Darkbattlemage.9612

Honestly?

Because they are dull, uninteresting, and silly race. Whose only purpose in the game was Trahearne, who is the worst character I have ever witnessed in a storyline of a RTS/MMO. He blatantly steals the story, all to advertise how “awesome” Slyvari are when infact all he does is highlight all my gripes with Slyvari.
Let me list them;

1. The whole concept is flawed, the fact they are called Slyvari to begin with suggests a long living elf like race that is both wise and knowledgable. Instead they are children, this left me dumbfounded and simply made me say, “So you called Dryads Slyvari, Ok… can I kill them all now?”
  1. I am of the belief and opinion that they replaced Tengu, which to me is a huge mistake. All because the head lore keeper liked the concept of them. The thing is, Tengu have been around since GW1, not only that but their history is rich and colourful. Full of culture, lore, loss, victory, and the fact GW1 had a event dedicated to Tengu made them highly popular and desired. In Slyvari what’s interesting I mean, magical trees? Pfft. Yeah no I seen this 100 times before. Wlyd Hunt interest? Again seen it before yawn countless times. Trahearne does this very well you see not only does he make you go on a magical adventure with a tree but also constantly brings up the fact his Wlyd hunt is to heal Orr and that is why he must now take your place as the main character, that and the stupid sword which in the cutscene didn’t actually do ANYTHING.
  1. What do they bring to the table, I mean honestly. What do they bring, they have no redeeming features (except the snare), their living story is utterly love story after love story (No No in a MMO) and serves no reason other than to make them seem like the child-like race they are meant to be.
  1. It makes no sense, in GW1 we had a fair few expansions and you try to lead us to believe they exsisted all that time? Yet we never encountered a single one. Yeah no, this is bad story telling 101.
  1. Trahearne
  1. Trahearne

Sorry but trahearne deserves to mentioned twice in his own sperate points dedicated to the joy of Trahearne.

I find it disturbing that people claim the Slyvari to be original despite the fact they are the least original race in the game. While Tengu are the most.

The Sylvari did exist in Guild Wars 1, you know that seed the centaur planted? That the pale tree in its infant form. The hooks we are seeing now utilized in guild wars 2 have been left all over the place throughout Guild Wars 1with Eyes of the North alluding to their birth at the end.

As for your argument against the Sylvari, it can be applied to the Tengu. What do they bring to the table? Nothing particularly unique, we already have a “monstrous race” represented by the Charr. Their personal story will probably revolve around their politics, which don’t make interesting stories within the mmo scene. Also something to consider is that they seem based on Japanese culture this probably would require Anet to overhaul the Tengu significantly in order for them to be tolerable for release in China.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.

in Sylvari

Posted by: ApplePearOrange.9281

ApplePearOrange.9281

1.The whole concept is flawed, the fact they are called Slyvari to begin with suggests a long living elf like race that is both wise and knowledgable. Instead they are children, this left me dumbfounded and simply made me say, “So you called Dryads Slyvari, Ok… can I kill them all now?”

If they did conform to said “elf” archetypes, they’d be even less original.

I find it disturbing that people claim the Slyvari to be original despite the fact they are the least original race in the game. While Tengu are the most

Can you tell the difference between a norn and human?
If you say size, then perhaps we should also include a bigger asura and smaller charr respectively as standalone races?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Whenever I look at this forum I see at least 3-4 threads titled “Sylvari must die” etc. WHY?? You wouldn’t see stuff like that on the other race forums and they all have their bad counter parts e.g Char~Flame Legion and Norn~Sons of Svanir. Just because the main anarchist of the game is Sylvari why should the whole race be condemned to “Evil killer plant people”? Do you think that if the main anarchist was a different race, would people hate that race instead? I just think its a shame to hate such an amazing people on the basis that one was mad……… Gimme opinions on this pelase

Honestly?

Let me list them;

1. Trahearne
  1. Trahearne

1. That’s an opinion, one which you clearly will not change your mind on, so I won’t waste my time there.

2. The Tengu were originally planned IIRC, but were scrapped due to various issues. The Sylvari had nothing to do with it. Also you attack Sylvari based soley on Trahearne, who is a victim of rushed character arcs and writing, simple as that.

3. What do the Tengu bring to the table? Being “proud warrior race guy” birds? We have that with the Norn and Charr already. Also, love story after love story? I only recall two story arcs with a relationship involved in the plot.

4. The birth of the Sylvari is set in motion in Eye of The North, the pale tree is planted and quite simply, even in GW1 very little was known about Tyria (and very little still is). We could only visit a tiny fraction of Tyria, even after Nightfall, Factions and Eye of The North.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Sylvari are more original than all currently available races: human (rofl), norn (big human), charr (kitties), asura (short people that resembles ETs), etc.

YOU ARE JUST JEALOUS OF MY FABULOUS GLOW THAT BLINDS YOUR ENVY! u.u

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Sylvari

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Honestly?

Let me list them;

1. Trahearne
  1. Trahearne

Tengu are a direct copy of a Japanese myth. They’re no more original than elves or dwarves.

in Sylvari

Posted by: bullyrook.2165

bullyrook.2165

It is not about originality, it is about presentation.

in Sylvari

Celestina.2894

It is not about originality, it is about presentation.

The Sylvari as a whole are presented fine, pretty much all Sylvari hate always comes right back to Scarlet and Trahearne.

in Sylvari

bullyrook.2165

I think the Sylvari are just a tad overused by this point. They are only 25 years old, but the have proved central to the story-line again and again, effectively ousting the importance of the other races. I’m just saying that the devs have had their fun with their new pets: either get on with why they are staying in the spot light or move to a different dynamic.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

@Bully: You’re just jealous because you’re not Sylvari, lol. But yes, I concede your point.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

First, it was because of Trahearne.

Then, it was furthered by Scarlet.

Also, salad jokes are apparently clever, though I fail to see how.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Sylvari

Celestina.2894

I think the Sylvari are just a tad overused by this point. They are only 25 years old, but the have proved central to the story-line again and again, effectively ousting the importance of the other races. I’m just saying that the devs have had their fun with their new pets: either get on with why they are staying in the spot light or move to a different dynamic.

That I’d say is a valid point, and while I love Sylvari, yeah I’d agree. Personally I’d love to see the next LS focus on Charr or Norn, but with Mord now waking I imagine that may not be likely.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Stelleriath.3829

Stelleriath.3829

Those who hate Sylvari are fools. Those monarch-worshipping babydolls, carnivorous brutes, egoistic hunters and arrogant goblins fail to understand that it is our destiny to inherit the world. The wise will bow to our superiority <evil laugh>.

in Sylvari

Posted by: TheReaperTheFourthHorsemen.7894

TheReaperTheFourthHorsemen.7894

yes, all meat sacks bow before the superior race or burn with your lands

my fate is my own, I will not be Mordremoth’s slave!- Ezonos Nightbriar

in Sylvari

bullyrook.2165

yes, all meat sacks bow before the superior race or burn with your lands

… why would a Sylvari use fire? Wouldn’t scorching the green land be like humans aimlessly killing all wildlife?

in Sylvari

I’m insane why does it matter what I use to wipe out inferior races

in Sylvari

Darkbattlemage.9612

The wise will bow to our superiority <evil laugh>.

The wise never bow to the foolish.

in Sylvari

But it is you meat sack who are the foolish while we are the wise

we will lay waste to your kingdoms and cleanse the lands of you meat sacks, Ascalon, Orr, and Lion’s Arch, they’ll look like nothing compared to what we will do
once all is done, we will claim what ever is left in the name of the Sylvari and build are kingdoms upon your ashes

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

There’s an awful lot of Nightmare Courtiers (or potential Courtiers) in this thread. This makes my chipper, friend-to-all Sylvari Necromancer sad.

in Sylvari

Heraldusluminare.2946

Ohhh… Zaxares sweetie, good and evil are just concepts created by people. The Nightmare Court merely teaches each sylvari to experience life to the fullest: love and hate; comfort and torment – they are all intertwining aspects to our existence on Tyria.

It is our role as enlightened people to help educate these poor, lesser races. Sometimes by force, sometimes by seduction. ;D

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Salad is evil. It is a nasty green color, tastes really bad and gives you the runs. 3:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Caedus.9610

Caedus.9610

I love sylvari, they are tasty and full of vitamins,fibre and antioxidants.

Also the top part make a very beautiful home decoration.A sylvari-head plant in a flowerpot fits perfect in my room and it creates a foresty aroma.Heaven for my lungs and eyes.

(edited by Caedus.9610)

in Sylvari

Hmm, now you have me wondering how delicious your flesh would taste, meat sack

in Sylvari

Darkbattlemage.9612

But it is you meat sack who are the foolish while we are the wise

we will lay waste to your kingdoms and cleanse the lands of you meat sacks, Ascalon, Orr, and Lion’s Arch, they’ll look like nothing compared to what we will do
once all is done, we will claim what ever is left in the name of the Sylvari and build are kingdoms upon your ashes

Yawn are all talking weeds so full of hot air? Seriously I could fill the skies with airships using the hot air Scarlet, the Nightmare Court, and you exhale. Scarlet was equally arrogant and foolish, where is she now? Oh that’s right she been reduced to mulch. She has soured relations between your race and the other races, who been aiding you with fighting the elder dragons. If you Sylvari were so powerful you wouldn’t need our help to send a few cranky evil dragons to the grave.

in Sylvari

Posted by: kristof.7182

kristof.7182

Sylvari is like salad and wood.
I eat salad and I use wood to keep me warm.

in Sylvari

meat sacks are sacks of meat and flesh
I’m a carnivorous sylvari, I cook and eat meat and flesh

in Sylvari

bullyrook.2165

Well, this went to a dark place fast.

in Sylvari

Heraldusluminare.2946

Only because it’s more fun to roleplay evil characters than namby-pamby good ones. ;D

in Sylvari

Posted by: Foosnark.1784

Foosnark.1784

All things have a right to grow… and Charr guts make good fertilizer!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zebulous.2934

Zebulous.2934

Lol @ Darkbattlemage pity everyone ignored your pun “where does it stem from…”

I do suspect the sylvari hate is because of Trahearne. Then we get Scarlett, who is a flamboyant show stealer. Had these characters been human we wouldn’t have people writing hate posts directed at humans as a race. It boarders on xenophobia…

aesthetics: I have a friend who doesn’t have a sylvari character because of all the branch, root, and bark artifacts on many sylvari faces.
Sylvari also hit the uncanny valley in some people’s perception. (they wouldn’t mind a char because they are totally different, but sylvari look similar to humans, just off, and it creeps some people out.)

Political: The environmentalist movement could be tied to plant people. Since environmentalism is an anti human movement at its core: humans are evil, nature is more important. A philosophical friend of mine declares that the sylvari are for hippie tree-huggers.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Foosnark.1784

Foosnark.1784

Since environmentalism is an anti human movement at its core: humans are evil, nature is more important.

This is such a wrong perception. It’s pro-human. I’m opposed to humans being poisoned, starved, irradiated, having their homes destroyed, etc. when it can be avoided. I’m opposed to civilization collapsing under its own stupidity because we ignored the warnings science has given us.

Nature is important because we live there and depend on it for our survival.

The Earth is doomed by the sun’s life cycle. I want humanity to thrive and reach for the stars and outlive the Earth. That won’t be possible if we ruin our own habitat first.

…and now back to Sylvari related issues.

in Sylvari

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Foosnark is completely right. Environmentalism is inherently PRO human. Humanity relies on nature to survive and we live in a very delicate ecosystem and are used to very specific things. Environmentalism looks to make a better world for everyone, nature, animals and humans (which are also animals and thus part of the environment).

in Sylvari

I’m just against the inferior races aka meat sacks

in Sylvari

Celestina.2894

Political: The environmentalist movement could be tied to plant people. Since environmentalism is an anti human movement at its core: humans are evil, nature is more important. A philosophical friend of mine declares that the sylvari are for hippie tree-huggers.

……there is so much ignorance in that, it feels like someone is stabbing me in the crotch.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Raeysa Penrose.8450

Raeysa Penrose.8450

I think one of the biggest reasons people hate sylvari is that, in general, they are the flattest characters in the game. A lot of us feel that all the thought and effort for sylvari went into their looks (which are staggering and well worth the effort!), but left little for the lore and personalities. The sylvari culture, with the Dream of Dreams, the Soundless, the Nightmare Court and the ways that it affects the Pale Tree, all the tidbits of lore that have been scattered around—it’s full of potential. Gorgeous potential. Many of us are disappointed that the characters we’ve been given of this beautiful race have turned out to be flat, one-dimensional, and just generally shoddily written.

Trahearne. Need I say more?

Fear not this night
curse my dependence on sleep for survival!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

……there is so much ignorance in that, it feels like someone is stabbing me in the crotch.

not at all, environmentalism, the cult of the jungle, is one of the worst ideologies ever to threaten civilization. “ignorance” does not mean diverting from your weltanschauung. There was no explanation given for reasons to analyze. But as you are probably indoctrinated by the postmaterialistic mainstream since school, guess it is ok for you to shrug it off like that.

PS: though I doubt that is the reason for Sylvari dislike :P Guess it is just like always, LOTR cookie cutter is cool, anime elfin types are cool, Charr, well, ferral things are usually viewed as cool. But anything original and new is viewed with suspicion. If Trahearne was some Orlando Bloomish kinda elf boy cutie in the exact same role, I bet the forum would swoon for him.

(edited by Algreg.3629)

in Sylvari

Raeysa Penrose.8450

not at all, environmentalism, the cult of the jungle, is one of the worst ideologies ever to threaten civilization. “ignorance” does not mean diverting from your weltanschauung. There was no explanation given for reasons to analyze. But as you are probably indoctrinated by the postmaterialistic mainstream since school, guess it is ok for you to shrug it off like that.

PS: though I doubt that is the reason for Sylvari dislike :P Guess it is just like always, LOTR cookie cutter is cool, anime elfin types are cool, Charr, well, ferral things are usually viewed as cool. But anything original and new is viewed with suspicion. If Trahearne was some Orlando Bloomish kinda elf boy cutie in the exact same role, I bet the forum would swoon for him.

Ew. No elves. Trahearne is sexy the way he is. Dumb and flat, but sexy. ^u^

Fear not this night

in Sylvari

FlamingFoxx.1305

Environmentalism does not threaten civilisation. You must have gone to some bizarre university to come up with that. Also using the German word for ‘World view’ doesn’t make your point more intelligible or credible. Environmentalism is quite simply ideology concerned with protecting the environment. The environment in which we live and rely on for survival and which the flora and fauna around us rely on for survival. It is inherently humanist. Let me guess, you also think that Nuclear power is good and pollution is not a problem.

in Sylvari

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Actuuuuallyyyy…

We’re getting way off-topic here, but nuclear energy gets a bad rap. Accidents are rare if properly managed and, even taking them into account, a coal power plant actually produces about as much radioactivity as a nuclear one, not to mention all the CO2. Yes, the waste from a nuclear plant takes a long time to decay, but at least it’s in a nice solid form that’s relatively easy to contain rather than being released into the atmosphere… and there’s some promising lines of research into ways to recycle that fuel to produce more energy until it does reach a non-radioactive state (let’s think about the physics here, as long as it’s radioactive there’s energy there that’s potentially extractable, it’s just a question of how practical it is to do so).

On the whole, though, algreg seems to be trying to hide a strawman through a smokescreen of waffle and technobabble. Bottom line is that like it or not, civilisation is part of the environment, and if we ruin the latter than the former will suffer. There are extremists in every camp, but environmental sustainability isn’t about abandoning civilisation, it’s about ensuring that we still have one in a few centuries time.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

in Sylvari

FlamingFoxx.1305

Coal is not a renewable energy source, so of course it’s also harmful. Hydroelectric, Solar, Wind and Geothermal energy on the other hand don’t really have much of a negative impact on the environment and are renewable/sustainable.
Nuclear energy – while accidents may be rare the fallout from them is catastrophic, just look at Chernobyl and Fukushima. There’s a reason New Zealand is very strictly Nuclear Free….

in Sylvari

Raeysa Penrose.8450

raises a hand Wasn’t this thread supposed to be about sylvari?

Fear not this night

in Sylvari

Darkbattlemage.9612

raises a hand Wasn’t this thread supposed to be about sylvari?

It was.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

No, this thread was actually an attempt by the evil environmentalists, to indoctrinate Guild Wars 2 players to their anti-human ideology! THE TRUTH HAS BEEN REVEALED! SYLVARI ARE ARENANET’S ATTEMPT TO BRAINWASH US! ALL IS VAIN!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Reganov.3569

Reganov.3569

If someone can like something, someone can also dislike something. We are all unique. Therefore the Sylvari will never be loved by everyone, nor will any one particular thing in existence.

Wolfred Darkwater – Fort Aspenwood

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Somewhat back on topic, there’s actually hints in-game now of a growing anti-Sylvari racist movement by various Lion’s Arch residents who see Sylvari as potentially treacherous/dangerous individuals. There’s a new pair of Lionguard whose patrol route starts at Fort Mariner. Follow them around (it’s a long walk), and at the end there’s an interesting confrontation where one of them tries to arrest/kill a Sylvari on the false allegation that they’re a looter.