Why do female Sylvari have boobs ?

in Sylvari

Posted by: MARKONINI.4153

MARKONINI.4153

Even though I do not have a Sylvari character myself I’ve been wondering about this for the past few days.

Considering the way Sylvari reproduce – “Sylvari are not born. They awaken beneath the Pale Tree with knowledge gleaned in their pre-life Dream.” – there doesn’t seem to be any functional use of female Sylvaries having breasts.

I could understand that these could have a purely sexual purpose. But then again, considering the way Sylvari reproduce and the material their “skin” is made of, I don’t think that they are capable of having… well… any form of “sex”.

It would be a lot more logical to give female Asuras boobs as Asuras (as far as we know)
reproduce in the same way as humans do.

The only theory that could explain the shape of Sylavri females is that the Pale Tree is trying to make her children resemble humans as much as it is possible because she was planted by a human (Ronan – a member of the Shining Blades during the Krytan civil war around 250 years ago).

Does anyone else have an opinion on this subject ?

Or is it just me being totally creepy… ^.^

Tinypaws / Tiny The Charrdian / Marko The Guardian

Guardian has no alternative :)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

I could understand that these could have a purely sexual purpose. But then again, considering the way Sylvari reproduce and the material their “skin” is made of, I don’t think that they are capable of having… well… any form of “sex”.

“CDA: One of the lore questions that bother players the most is – do Sylvari have sex? Are they able to procreate on their own, or just keep sprouting out of the Pale Tree?

Martin Kerstein: I’m not exactly a lore person, but as far as I understand – yes, Sylvari can have sex and they will have sex with whoever they like, they are fully capable of doing so. But they don’t do it to create to new Sylvaris. They actually grow from the tree."

http://www.cdaction.pl/news-20880-4/guild-wars-2---wywiad-z-martinem-kersteinem-i-erikiem-flannumem.html

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

in Sylvari

Posted by: Alkonium.9164

Alkonium.9164

The only theory that could explain the shape of Sylavri females is that the Pale Tree is trying to make her children resemble humans as much as it is possible because she was planted by a human (Ronan – a member of the Shining Blades during the Krytan civil war around 250 years ago).

Based on my understanding of the lore, that’s exactly what it is. Without that, there’s no reason for Sylvari to not just be all “male”.

in Sylvari

MARKONINI.4153

Sylvari can have sex and they will have sex with whoever they like, they are fully capable of doing so. But they don’t do it to create to new Sylvaris. They actually grow from the tree.

I find this hard to believe in.

Simply out of technical reasons – as in “How on Earth do they do it… ?”.

But also because it would be very strange for a species to have organs needed to have any form of sex while it is completely incapable of sexually reproducing.

This would very much change the way I look on Sylvari and they way the Sylvari community and relationships work :/

(edited by MARKONINI.4153)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Alkonium.9164

Alkonium.9164

Sylvari can have sex and they will have sex with whoever they like, they are fully capable of doing so. But they don’t do it to create to new Sylvaris. They actually grow from the tree.

I find this hard to believe in.

Simply out of technical reasons – as in “How on Earth do they do it… ?”.

But also because it would be very strange for a species to have organs needed to have any form of sex while it is completely incapable of sexually reproducing.

This would very much change the way I look on Sylvari and they way the Sylvari community and relationships work :/

Presumably, they have human-like genitals, which lack reproductive function, but retain the same level of sensitivity.

in Sylvari

MARKONINI.4153

Presumably, they have human-like genitals, which lack reproductive function, but retain the same level of sensitivity.

Well if this is true I guess my original question is answered.

Sylvari are made in resemblance of humans… and that also seem to include not only the look but also the “sexual behavior” of humans.

Long story short, Sylvari females have boobs just for having fun ^.^

in Sylvari

Posted by: Gabe.6810

Gabe.6810

The pale tree attempted to create Sylvari in the image of humans- that’s the only reason.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Why do Sylvari have Boobs?

So you have something to look at, while you’re talking to them. EHEHEHEHEHEHE

in Sylvari

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

This is exactly it (although the motivation might be different) – I think it was expressed in the TowerTalk sylvari lore special, among other places. Basically, the Pale Tree used humans as a ‘template’ to create the sylvari, including providing features that would appear to serve no purpose. However, the resemblance is mostly external – internally, their biology is quite different.

In doing this, the Pale Tree appears to have recognised the pleasure humans get from sex, and sylvari are able to derive a similar amount of pleasure – however, as you observe, for them it remains purely an expression of close companionship, as there is no chance of reproduction. (That we know of, anyway – we have no idea what might come after 27 years in the sylvari lifecycle).

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Why do Sylvari have “hair”? It just makes them look more humanoid. Same with all the other “bits”.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Would have been interesting to see sylvari all come out as little oakhearts :-)

Then people would be asking if oakhearts can have sex with charr lol.

in Sylvari

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

Breasts are a secondary sex characteristic in humans who experience the hormone estrogen more than testosterone. So are wider hips and slightly fairer skin.

Wide shoulders and rougher skin are secondary sex characteristics of humans who experience testosterone more than estrogen.

Essentially, if sylvari are based off of Ronan’s family, then the Tree figured out the chemical and genetic make up of humans, in addition to anything gleaned through any magical processes. The existence of secondary sex characteristics in sylvari does not seem unusual, as these are results not of a requirement of reproduction but of chemical exposure.

Sylvari sex organs exist purely for recreation and pleasure, like the majority of real-life human sexual interactions. Just because they cannot reproduce does not mean that they cannot have sex organs. In fact, since we cannot see their genitals, I would argue that every sylvari could possibly have different genitals than what we’d assume to be correct and we’d never know.

Based on my understanding of the lore, that’s exactly what it is. Without that, there’s no reason for Sylvari to not just be all “male”.

“Male” is not the default form of humanoid species, “child” is. The “Male” form and the “Female” form both have secondary sex characteristics. It is silly and sexist to assume that “Male” is somehow more androgynous than “Female”.

EDIT: By the by, breasts are not sexual organs. The only truly sexual organs are the genitals. Also, since sylvari do not have nipples, I would argue that breasts are not even remotely sexual as erogenous zones. (Although technically, any body part can be sexual due to the desires of the participants engaging in sexual activity.)

(edited by I See No Tomorrow.7302)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

“CDA: One of the lore questions that bother players the most is – do Sylvari have sex? Are they able to procreate on their own, or just keep sprouting out of the Pale Tree?

Martin Kerstein: I’m not exactly a lore person, but as far as I understand – yes, Sylvari can have sex and they will have sex with whoever they like, they are fully capable of doing so. But they don’t do it to create to new Sylvaris. They actually grow from the tree."

http://www.cdaction.pl/news-20880-4/guild-wars-2---wywiad-z-martinem-kersteinem-i-erikiem-flannumem.html

The kitchen scene from American pie would have been very different if it had involved a cabbage.

American Salad?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Moderator.8539

Moderator.8539

The discussion is quite interesting, but in regards to those last two posts, lets keep it PG. Thanks!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Willard.5894

Willard.5894

As far as i remember, there was a human and a centaur near the Pale Tree at it’s ‘birth’. I think that there were males and females in the camp, so the pale tree might have… ‘remembered’ their shapes and variety and reproduced them in sylvari although their shapes and sex part may have no biological purpose.
Also, to be attractive to other races sylvari might need to look like them in a way. So, boobs are usually very appreciated by both males and females)
PS Aaah sorry i said almost what draxynnic.3719 did x____x

(edited by Willard.5894)