Enough with the overflow server, already

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

Not even ONCE was I able to be with my own server (Tarnished Coast) for Tequatl.

Not even once in all the time I spent in overflow was there even the option to travel to the main server.

I hope something can be done about this soon.

The obstacle is the path.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Yes its mega fail , im yet to do TEQ on my server and theyve done it , blackgate

[WM]give us in game ladder

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

I guess i can join the club of people who never seen new tequila on their own home server :/

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

I guess you can stay on the map between spawns. :P

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

It’s boring waiting, and it doesn’t matter how fast I get there I’m dumped in poxy overflow.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

It’s boring waiting, and it doesn’t matter how fast I get there I’m dumped in poxy overflow.

Yeah I didn’t suggest that as a serious solution for everyone.

But if you reeaaaallly wanted to.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Yeah I didn’t suggest that as a serious solution for everyone.

But if you reeaaaallly wanted to.

A LOT of people do just stay in Sparkfly…………….

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Not even ONCE was I able to be with my own server (Tarnished Coast) for Tequatl.

Not even once in all the time I spent in overflow was there even the option to travel to the main server.

What do you sugest as an alternative?.

Not going into overflow isn’t really an option, we already have people complaining about lag with the overflows in place, removing them would mean even more people and more lag in big fights like these. At least now going to overflow doesn’t mean missing the fight at all.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: LostInSmoke.2590

LostInSmoke.2590

People that are actually on that server should take priority over guests. Guests should get kicked off server if its full, to make room for people on that server.

Waiting between events doesn’t work. I sat on map for hours and never got back to BG after all the crashes started.

Don’t say “use join party in map” either, its not working. Most people get some sort of “network error”.

in Tequatl Rising

locoman.1974

People that are actually on that server should take priority over guests. Guests should get kicked off server if its full, to make room for people on that server.

Waiting between events doesn’t work. I sat on map for hours and never got back to BG after all the crashes started.

Don’t say “use join party in map” either, its not working. Most people get some sort of “network error”.

One question… how do you know for sure that you’re getting into overflow because of people guesting and not because there are lots of people from your own server filling the map?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Why should someone on a low population server (say Devona’s Rest for example) be deprived of a chance to fight with a large group just because they have to guest? Do we need even more reasons to abandon lower population servers?

It should be first come first serve.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Do you understand why the overflow mechanic is in place?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Tequatl Rising

biggs.4702

What do you sugest as an alternative?.

Not going into overflow isn’t really an option, we already have people complaining about lag with the overflows in place, removing them would mean even more people and more lag in big fights like these. At least now going to overflow doesn’t mean missing the fight at all.

I’m not a dev or a tech. All I know is I have yet to fight Teq with my own server community, and am making my voice heard.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Why should someone on a low population server (say Devona’s Rest for example) be deprived of a chance to fight with a large group just because they have to guest? Do we need even more reasons to abandon lower population servers?

Because they choose their low population server. Just as people on high population server choose theirs and should have priority to play on their own servers.

in Tequatl Rising

biggs.4702

Does me understanding this fix anything?

Of course I understand why overflow exists, and how overflows cascade. Saying I’m not a dev or a tech doesn’t mean I’m computer-illiterate. But unlike many players who think they know the “simple” answer to fix a problem, I know better and can’t really offer any suggestions. I can only express my wish for ArenaNet’s tech folks to improve the situation. I know they read the forums, so hopefully we’re being heard.

(edited by biggs.4702)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: ClaviculaNox.8762

ClaviculaNox.8762

OVER 2 HOURS NOW Didn’t leave the map and still in the GOD kitten overflow
Trying to enter Desolation BUT FAIL OVERFLOW!

I’m not Obsessed , I’m POSSESSED!

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Fully agree. The server you are on shouldnt have such a huge impact on your enjoyment of the game – and the unfortunate truth is that not all servers will have the numbers to consistently field teams at tequatl.

The only option for those wanting to actually see the latter phases of the fight shouldnt be to have to transfer – guesting is a legitimate part of the game and is there for a reason. Were all playing the same game.

(I havent guested yet – still hoping to be able to help my server get to at least 75% health, but if numbers start to wan at the event due to people getting fed up with not even getting to the more interesting mechanics, I may not have a choice but to do so).

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Overflows are there to allow you to play the game when content on your home server is at capacity. In just about every other online game prior to GW, you would sit in queues on a regular basis and wait for your turn to play if you were in a large population servers.

After content updates, expansions or anticipated patches, that queue could last hours. Overflow may have its drawbacks, but at least you get to play while you are in queue rather than staring at a timer.

That said, Blackgater’s concerns will soon be alleviated. The guilds that organized the fight are going to grab their members, BG regulars and people on their server TS and guest to a lower population servers so the encounter isn’t clogged up with bandwagoning guests.

The players trying to guest over and brute force through overflow are just going to end up in the same situation they would have on their own sever. In a map with a bunch of people that haven’t completed it and have to figure out what to do and how to work together. Actually, their situation may be worse, since at least on their home server the other players around will be trying to win. BG Sparkfly is just going to be full of the players that want to ride along for the rewards with as little resistance as possible. Collectively they wont be able to accomplish anything.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

(edited by AcidicVision.5498)

in Tequatl Rising

Vol.5241

Of course I understand why overflow exists, and how overflows cascade. Saying I’m not a dev or a tech doesn’t mean I’m computer-illiterate. But unlike many players who think they know the “simple” answer to fix a problem, I know better and can’t really offer any suggestions. I can only express my wish for ArenaNet’s tech folks to improve the situation.

Doesn’t ‘fix’ anything but it shows why the overflow mechanic is in the game and the best alternative.

If we didn’t have overflow, you’d have hundreds of people on one server. They tested this already in beta and realized with that many people, game performance gets ruined. You’d have everyone with massive lag and unable to execute skills/movement.

So what would you prefer?

Have 200 players in one server and have a guaranteed chance of failure because the lag is horrendous?

or

Have 100 players in one server with a reasonable chance at succeeding while the other 100 people are on overflows and they also have a chance of succeeding (assuming they are coordinated)

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I found that by zoning in and out repeatedly it would eventually place me in the main server on JQ. Didn’t have to join a party or anything, just rapid zoning did the trick after a couple dozen tries.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

Yes! No one has thought of this before! Not like you have people sitting and waiting jumping on the platforms for hours at a time! Nope!

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

At this point I’m going to go ahead and say that overflow is far worse than the server queues I had to deal with back in other MMOs. It’s really ruining the game.

in Tequatl Rising

locoman.1974

At this point I’m going to go ahead and say that overflow is far worse than the server queues I had to deal with back in other MMOs. It’s really ruining the game.

I don’t know… TBH even if it was like before, where I wouldn’t get the event if I landed in overflow, I’d much rather be playing than staring at a login window with a “you’re XXX out of YYY” sign.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

That said, Blackgater’s concerns will soon be alleviated…BG Sparkfly is just going to be full of the players that want to ride along for the rewards with as little resistance as possible. Collectively they won’t be able to accomplish anything.

I don’t know whether to give BG congratulations or condolences.

Good job there, Blackgate, and best of luck.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Tequatl Rising

Vol.5241

Yeah sure, not being able to participate in one event is worse than not even being able to play the game at all.

What other exaggeration do we need?

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Tequatl Rising

biggs.4702

Of course I understand why overflow exists, and how overflows cascade. Saying I’m not a dev or a tech doesn’t mean I’m computer-illiterate. But unlike many players who think they know the “simple” answer to fix a problem, I know better and can’t really offer any suggestions. I can only express my wish for ArenaNet’s tech folks to improve the situation.

Doesn’t ‘fix’ anything but it shows why the overflow mechanic is in the game and the best alternative.

If we didn’t have overflow, you’d have hundreds of people on one server. They tested this already in beta and realized with that many people, game performance gets ruined. You’d have everyone with massive lag and unable to execute skills/movement.

So what would you prefer?

Have 200 players in one server and have a guaranteed chance of failure because the lag is horrendous?

or

Have 100 players in one server with a reasonable chance at succeeding while the other 100 people are on overflows and they also have a chance of succeeding (assuming they are coordinated)

What I would prefer is that you join with me in making our voices heard for improving the situation, instead of trying to make an argument where there isn’t one to be had. Let ArenaNet figure out how to fix it. As a player, it’s not my job to know the technical trade-offs and limitations. All I know is they made a game and I can’t play it the way they intended. I have no idea why there cannot be server-specific overflows, for example, so that I could still play with friends from Tarnished Coast.

With our encouragement perhaps they’ll prioritize their resources accordingly. If we say nothing, they’ll assume we think the situation is acceptable.

(edited by biggs.4702)

in Tequatl Rising

biggs.4702

It’s certainly very frustrating, but at least with each chance at the fight you can improve your own understanding, tactics, and strategies. Just don’t spend that 30 copper all in one place.

in Tequatl Rising

biggs.4702

Yes its mega fail , im yet to do TEQ on my server and theyve done it , blackgate

Ouch man, that’s gotta hurt. :/

in Tequatl Rising

biggs.4702

Since I posted this, I have noticed others posting more than just a few duplicates of this topic. All I can say is that I’m glad it’s not just me and that I hope ArenaNet is capable of addressing and plans to address the overflow problem.