If zhaitan died how did Tequatl evolve?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Here is something that is not making sense to me. Tequatl the Sunless is a champion of Zhaitan correct? And players have killed Zhaitan so how can Tequatl evolve hes dead right? This is how the boss should had been from the start.
This is making as much sense as we killed Zhaitan but we actually didn’t he come back on next quest.
This boss absolutely needed to get fixed but what does it have to do with the lore?
Nothing.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Read the Mail. It mentions the Pact’s offensive on Orr, which is before Zhaitan is killed.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Wegi.4029

Wegi.4029

But thats stupid, considering previous Living Story (like the one, where we meet Rox) is supposed to be after the personal story.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

The only place where Zhaitan has died is in the instances of your personal storyline. Your personal storyline doesn’t affect the overworld. Tequatl is a level 65 event, so its lore is frozen in the level 65 personal story timeline (Munition Acquisition/To The Core/Volcanic Extraction/Fixing The Blame/Intercepting the Orb/Willing Captives).

Everything in Tyria apart from Arah Explorable is as though you have not yet defeated Zhaitan.

This also belongs in the lore subforum.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

What does it matter if Zhaitan is alive or dead? If a dragon dies do all of his minions die too? If not, it’s completely feasible that Tequat’l sucked up magic energy and evolved. If so, well then I guess we’ll be seeing a new Orr sometime in the future.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

The Pact are still in Orr. They didn’t just pack up an leave once Zhaitan was defeated. I agree there is a lot of confusion with this update and where it takes place on the time line, but I don’t agree that the story has to take place before Zhaitan dies. The Living Story already has events that recognise past events in the Personal Story. Rox’s presence places Tequatl Rising as a current Living World progression, so it’s also after the Personal Story.

Honestly I think we need the writers to clear up the time line for us. It’s confusing as hell to have all these things go on and not have it clearly recognised which events are past and which are current.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Heretico.5862

Heretico.5862

or maybe Zhaitan is not dead ? maybe he lost a fight, drown, and gather new powers ?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: TachyonicRage.4936

TachyonicRage.4936

Because Zhaitan didn’t die, he was defeated, there is a difference

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

or maybe Zhaitan is not dead ? maybe he lost a fight, drown, and gather new powers ?

Yea, it’s just downed. Since we never went down to finish it off, it’s just laying there with it’s hand shaking in the air as it rallies it’s self.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Heretico.5862

Heretico.5862

my man ! :P

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Gw2 devs turned the dragons in to a ‘Mass effect 3 ending’-mess. (TL:DR Mass effect was one of the best stories ever and they turned what should have been the most exciting end ever in a total anti-climax).

Dragons (dev speaking): ‘they are a force of nature, they are not alive/dead’. They can only be controlled a bit. Wich is silly to be honest. I mean they are destroying everything in their path and are not evil (anet own words, dragons are not evil). Anybody who can control his action to not destroy stuff, but yet does it = evil. Thus dragons are. Period. And instead of an actually exciting ‘kill’, we just defeated him to come back in a few years. Mass effect 3 all over.

Or ‘Wheel of Time’ book. Every 3k years or so, the evil ones come back and he has to be exactly defeated again in the same way and there no thing to stop this 3k year cycle… Best story ever. Not.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

Zhaitan: I choose you, Tequatl!

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Khaz.3165

Khaz.3165

In all honesty, I think the death of big Z allowed Tequatl to gain power. NPC’s in Fireheart Rise make it clear that for example upon the death of the shatterer, another champion takes on this mantle and gains the power. As such I think it’s quite possible that Tequatl absorbed much of the power left behind by Zhaitan when big ol’ ugly died.

ME? MAD?! QUITE LIKELY!

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

You have a good point. On one hand, we meet Rox first after Zhaitan was killed, on the other hand, that would make the part about Tequatl a bit weird.

However, Abaddon died, that didn’t immediately kill Mallyx either.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Khaz.3165

Khaz.3165

Gw2 devs turned the dragons in to a ‘Mass effect 3 ending’-mess. (TL:DR Mass effect was one of the best stories ever and they turned what should have been the most exciting end ever in a total anti-climax).

Dragons (dev speaking): ‘they are a force of nature, they are not alive/dead’. They can only be controlled a bit. Wich is silly to be honest. I mean they are destroying everything in their path and are not evil (anet own words, dragons are not evil). Anybody who can control his action to not destroy stuff, but yet does it = evil. Thus dragons are. Period. And instead of an actually exciting ‘kill’, we just defeated him to come back in a few years. Mass effect 3 all over.

Or ‘Wheel of Time’ book. Every 3k years or so, the evil ones come back and he has to be exactly defeated again in the same way and there no thing to stop this 3k year cycle… Best story ever. Not.

Actually it is a very good story mechanism to make the characters not feel all-powerful. And I do not think the elder dragons are evil, they simply retain the balance. Is a flood evil? Is death evil?… “Evil” is an interesting philosophical concept anyways. I sincerely hope that upon the defeat of the elder dragons (if that ever happens) Tyria goes to **** because of the rampant magic and the lack of a balancing factor.

ME? MAD?! QUITE LIKELY!

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Even though the final “mission” leads us to believe that we “killed” Zhaitan, I have a hard time believing he’s actually dead. The dragons strike me as forces of nature, a part of the natural order, facets of the gods if you will. Not necessarily things you can “kill” in the traditional sense. We can defeat them (which lore says has been done before) but that only puts them down for a while. I am more apt to believe that we weakened, and then defeated Zhaitan, and now he has returned to his lair to slumber and regenerate, leaving his champion behind.

This would correlate with previous lore events. When the elder dragons were defeated previously, their champions were left behind. One of them having been Glint, who was later cleansed of her master’s corruption. We could be experiencing something similar with Tequatl. We’ve put his master down for the count, but he still remains.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

As long as we don’t get some Freddy vs Jason garbage, it’s all good.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

You guys don’t watch his twitch feed?

Don’t rez me bro.
Gonna rally in a sec.

Attachments:

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I think figured it out.

Zhaitan had set up an illegal moonshine still down in Orr and was making a killing selling ‘Sauce of Orr’ to his fellow Elder Dragons, but, as is so often the case, he got greedy. When the Pact revenuers busted him for running ‘shine into Lion’s Arch, the other Elder Dragons got all tangled up in a spirited (and ongoing) debate over which one of them should take over the operation. That’s why they’ve not made much progress in destroying the world lately.

Meanwhile, Tequatl took advantage of the situation and sneaked into one of the ‘Sauce of Orr’ warehouses and absconded with a keg or two of ye olde liquid courage.

The table is a fable.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

Yeah, and instead of using a way point he’s just waiting for his minions to come revive him because the nearest uncontested WP is slightly farther away than the actual nearest, but contested, WP.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

But thats stupid, considering previous Living Story (like the one, where we meet Rox) is supposed to be after the personal story.

And Rox is even at the Tequatl fight now WITH Frostbite.

>.>

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Zhaitan could be the title held by the elder dragon of the undead. We killed a Zhaitan and made room for the next. Perhaps as long as their are dragons with power over the undead, there will always be a new Zhaitan to take the mantle when the previous one dies.

Tequatl may have been spending the last year beefing up so he can make a run for the position.

There. The lore is nice and tidy. In GW3 Tequatl will be the new Zhaitan

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

But Rox specifically mentions “her time around Braham” and killing the beats and bringing the trophy being a Norn thing, meaning it’s after the LS events, at least after the Flame&Frost.
My money is on theories in which Teq either changes allegiance to DSD (Bubbles i.e. “something in the water” / “gathering strength in the depths”), or defeated Zhaitan has gathered enough strength after we sunk/drowned it in Arah story. Not a big deal since he did dwell in a sunken nation before…
But considering how poor Anet’s storytelling has been thus far, cool fan theories will probably remain just cool fan theories.

You guys don’t watch his twitch feed?

Don’t rez me bro.
Gonna rally in a sec.

<3

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

(edited by hedix.1986)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

You want to know why he got stronger?