Open World =/= Challenging/Elite

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

IT HAS TO BE INSTANCED. It is impossible to coordinate massive amounts of players that have only been taught to spam “1”. Since launch everything open world has been spamming “1” in a zerg. Now all of a sudden you expect them to know how to actually play the game?

Please Anet. Make instanced content this hard. The place where players actually want this kind of challenge. Even if you make it like a raid (25-30 man groups) please make it instanced.

You can already see all the threads asking for a nerf. Open world players dont want this kind of challenge.

Lastly, rewards need to be addressed. They need to be TRADEABLE. Even if the new tequatl was way easier people would stop doing him once they got the skin they wanted. For all the people who dont use those stats or dont like the skin, he is already pointless. The only way to make money off him is to get an impossible precursor or the extremely low chance at the mini. Tradable rewards are key to longevity.

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

It doesn’t have to be instanced.

However, it has to be doable with PUGs since it is in the open world and as a matter of fact, we cannot control people in the open world. We cannot kick people that don’t listen. We cannot force condition builds to go to the back and defend the turrets instead of attacking Tequatl.

in Tequatl Rising

rjnemer.7816

It doesn’t have to be instanced.

However, it has to be doable with PUGs since it is in the open world and as a matter of fact, we cannot control people in the open world. We cannot kick people that don’t listen. We cannot force condition builds to go to the back and defend the turrets instead of attacking Tequatl.

Thats why challenging content needs to be instanced. So we can control outcomes.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: klarkc.3754

klarkc.3754

Who said Open World must be easy? Who said All Open World Must be farmable?

Remember, in GW2 the Bosses raid Us.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

/signed

Sure it is fun right now if you can get 100 people in TS, working together, and have multiple organized guilds. That is going to happen maybe a couple dozen times, EVER. But the VAST, VAST majority of the time it is just frustrating and annoying in the open world. This is why raids are instanced in every other MMO for the last 10 years.

I already had a couple people stop defending the turret and let it blow up with the reason “it’s my turn to be in the turret, I need the achievement”…

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

I don’t think open world content should be easy. That said, I don’t think open world content should require team speak or a ridiculous amounts of coordination either because it’s just not designed in a way which naturally promotes that.

While designing this content you have to keep in mind that randoms in blues will join in and you have to make it fun and rewarding for those folks to do just that. Tequatl in his current state violates that. The encounter makes these players into the bad guys.

(edited by Fungalfoot.7213)

in Tequatl Rising

rjnemer.7816

No one said it had to be easy and farmable but thats how Anet made it since launch and have been reinforcing with many updates.

I have no problem with them keeping it this way for people who like this/cant do anything else.

in Tequatl Rising

klarkc.3754

I don’t think open world content should be easy. That said, I don’t think open world content should require team speak or a ridiculous amounts of coordination either because it’s just not designed in a way which naturally promotes that.

While designing this content you have to keep in mind that randoms in blues will join in and you have to make it fun and rewarding for those folks to do just that. Tequatl in his current state violates that. The encounter makes these players into the bad guys.

The randoms in blues must have something as objective in the game, how you can be motivated to grow up your gear, if your gear are able to do anything in the open world game. The game already have a system to penalty the blues in the battlefront, the repair system.

I think it’s just time to everyone knows the boss mechanic and do normally this boss in the actual state.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

This isn’t about making it farmable or easy.
This is about making it possible to do the event without 120 people on TeamSpeak camping the main server until they’re alone on it.

in Tequatl Rising

Fungalfoot.7213

The randoms in blues must have something as objective in the game, how you can be motivated to grow up your gear, if your gear are able to do anything in the open world game. The game already have a system to penalty the blues in the battlefront, the repair system.

And this is where I’ll have to remind you that a lot of folks bought this game because it was supposed to free of the cancerous gear treadmill, a treadmill which is now sadly being reinforced by fights like Tequatl. The underlying issue here is that ArenaNet has turned their back on their original vision in favor of something more traditional and I’m not convinced that’s a good thing.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

And this is where I’ll have to remind you that a lot of folks bought this game because it was supposed to free of the cancerous gear treadmill, a treadmill which is now sadly being reinforced by fights like Tequatl. The underlying issue here is that ArenaNet has turned their back on their original vision in favor of something more traditional and I’m not convinced that’s a good thing.

That went out the window the moment they introduced ascended gear and time gated everything.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

If that was true champions would make beelines to towns.
That would be fun.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Payadopa.4706

Payadopa.4706

To be fair, it’s just one fight in one zone and with a 15 minute timer at that.

in Tequatl Rising

rjnemer.7816

Lets get back on topic a little more. Making the challenging content instanced, not open world.

(gear treadmill, which ascended really isnt, is a whole different topic)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Lets get back on topic a little more. Making the challenging content instanced, not open world.

It’s not a real gear treadmill, but they did go against what they said by introducing it.

On topic: Agreed the the OP, having a fight like this in the open world causes too many problems. Having people semi-AFK or not try for the fight undermines the challenging aspect of it.

in Tequatl Rising

Fungalfoot.7213

But the topics are connected. In order to do this challenging content you need good gear. Ergo it reinforces the treadmill and forces players to grind it out in order to participate in open world content or effectively prevent their fellow players from finishing it by consuming a slot which could have been used by a better geared player.

And this is exactly why this content needs to be instanced.

in Tequatl Rising

klarkc.3754

Bull%&$ its not gear trademill. Stop QQ about this. Back to the topic.

All the whole time Dragon Champions must be heavy and hard as they are now. Man, its a Dragon! How do you wanna just step on like a bug?

in Tequatl Rising

rjnemer.7816

But the topics are connected. In order to do this challenging content you need good gear. Ergo it reinforces the treadmill and forces players to grind it out in order to participate in open world content or effectively prevent their fellow players from finishing it by consuming a slot which could have been used by a better geared player.

And this is exactly why this content needs to be instanced.

Not sure where you are getting this from. Everything in this game can easily be done in masterwork gear (excluding fractals because AR is required). If you had 100 or so good players all in a teamspeak taking down tequatl they could do it in masterwork.

That being said im all down for more content that requires AR.

in Tequatl Rising

rjnemer.7816

Bull%&$ its not gear trademill. Stop QQ about this. Back to the topic.

All the whole time Dragon Champions must be heavy and hard as they are now. Man, its a Dragon! How do you wanna just step on like a bug?

You cant base games around realism. Especially a fantasy MMO. It has to be balanced and for its target audience. Open worlds target audience isnt the “hard core”.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

You can dream at nite about killing a Dragon Champion. That’s as close to an instance that we’re currently going to get.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

No thanks. Don’t like instances. One of the reason I hated raids and even dungeons is the time it requires to form a group. The open world system is perfect. You can get into the action right away. If you want to take down Teq, you just have to organize your own groups as how BG and Desolation did to achieve their goals. Guild Wars want to branch away from traditional mmorpg style instances and embrace open world raids. This is the best idea they have come up with. Why ruin it by locking other players out of it? So NO, making this event an instance is a bad idea. It will simply give Elitist players power over others. I don’t want Guild Wars to become another WoW.

in Tequatl Rising

rjnemer.7816

You can dream at nite about killing a Dragon Champion. That’s as close to an instance that we’re currently going to get.

I pray you are wrong but i guess we will see.

in Tequatl Rising

rjnemer.7816

No thanks. Don’t like instances. One of the reason I hated raids and even dungeons is the time it requires to form a group. The open world system is perfect. You can get into the action right away. If you want to take down Teq, you just have to organize your own groups as how BG and Desolation did to achieve their goals. Guild Wars want to branch away from traditional mmorpg style instances and embrace open world raids. This is the best idea they have come up with. Why ruin it by locking other players out of it? So NO, making this event an instance is a bad idea. It will simply give Elitist players power over others. I don’t want Guild Wars to become another WoW.

No one said “make tequatl instanced”. We are just saying future content of this difficulty should be made instanced so us “elitists” dont have to deal you “casuals/bads” (if you are going to bring those words into play). I like to win. I dont want horrible players dragging me down so they can get a couple more AP.

/end rant

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

Forming a group to try and take down Tequatl takes way more time and is way more frustrating than any raid I’ve experienced in WoW. You can indeed get into the action right away, if you want to see people afk on turrets and facecheck the waves.

“Elitists” never had power over others in WoW. Anyone could form a raid and try their luck. But 40 man was already rather annoying and not too easy to organize, so they toned it down to mainly 10 or 25 people for an organised raid. This is just the same but without the tools like a raid interface or an actual instanced encounter and with 150 random people instead of 10 to 40 organized ones.

in Tequatl Rising

Fungalfoot.7213

Bunch of people just crashed before TC downed Teq.

Still think this kind of open world content is a good idea?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Open world players dont want this kind of challenge.

As an open world PvE’er, I can tell you you’re wrong. I DO want this kind of challenge, and I don’t want to be forced into instances to find it. Now if in a week or two people stop bothering and Tequatl becomes the next Karka Queen I’ll shift my opinion from “keep it as it” to “dial back the difficulty or up the rewards to make it worthwhile”, but so long as people are showing up in sufficient numbers to get it done I’d rather it stay at or near where it’s at.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Bunch of people just crashed before TC downed Teq.

Still think this kind of open world content is a good idea?

And how is that any different than being in an instance?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Tequatl Rising

Fungalfoot.7213

And how is that any different than being in an instance?

Because instances aren’t as prone to crashing as a zone which is being bombarded by people trying to mass join and guest? Plus, you can always just rejoin your party if you do happen to crash.

in Tequatl Rising

rjnemer.7816

Open world players dont want this kind of challenge.

As an open world PvE’er, I can tell you you’re wrong. I DO want this kind of challenge, and I don’t want to be forced into instances to find it. Now if in a week or two people stop bothering and Tequatl becomes the next Karka Queen I’ll shift my opinion from “keep it as it” to “dial back the difficulty or up the rewards to make it worthwhile”, but so long as people are showing up in sufficient numbers to get it done I’d rather it stay at or near where it’s at.

Fair enough, but let me ask you. Even if he becomes really easy to beat, whats the point? The ascended weapons he drops are not tradeable and are only in one stat set. If you do not use that stat set they are completely useless unless you just want the skin. Once enough people get the skin they want, then what? It will become the same tequatl before the patch. DEAD.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

No one said it had to be easy and farmable but thats how Anet made it since launch and have been reinforcing with many updates.

I have no problem with them keeping it this way for people who like this/cant do anything else.

And do you know what people have been doing since launch? Whining and complaining that everything is too easy. Demanding that open world content be harder, that the dragons be non-trivial.

So what is the first thing that happens when ANet fixes that? Everyone complains more. Stop complaining and learn how to do the content. Two servers have already gotten over themselves and are beating it. It’s not impossible. It doesn’t require an instance. It doesn’t require control. It just requires people to pay attention and stop crying about everything.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: CattivoUomo.7198

CattivoUomo.7198

I’m not for making it instanced, but as I posted on another thread; make it a longer time gate for the lesser coordinated worlds to still give them a chance at victory while increasing the chances for the higher rewards to those players that can beat him faster. I think this would satisfy most diehard gamers while still rewarding the casual players for their efforts, despite their lack of coordination.

in Tequatl Rising

rjnemer.7816

And do you know what people have been doing since launch? Whining and complaining that everything is too easy. Demanding that open world content be harder, that the dragons be non-trivial.

So what is the first thing that happens when ANet fixes that? Everyone complains more. Stop complaining and learn how to do the content. Two servers have already gotten over themselves and are beating it. It’s not impossible. It doesn’t require an instance. It doesn’t require control. It just requires people to pay attention and stop crying about everything.

No one was asking for the open world content to be harder. We were asking for INSTANCED content to be harder.

Also no one is asking for them to stop making content harder in open world. Tequatl was pitiful before the update. Im all for revamping. The other dragons need the same type of revamp.

in Tequatl Rising

rjnemer.7816

I’m not for making it instanced, but as I posted on another thread; make it a longer time gate for the lesser coordinated worlds to still give them a chance at victory while increasing the chances for the higher rewards to those players that can beat him faster. I think this would satisfy most diehard gamers while still rewarding the casual players for their efforts, despite their lack of coordination.

The problem is there is no way to separate without an instance.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

No one was asking for the open world content to be harder. We were asking for INSTANCED content to be harder.

Also no one is asking for them to stop making content harder in open world. Tequatl was pitiful before the update. Im all for revamping. The other dragons need the same type of revamp.

Many people were asking for harder content and don’t care if it’s open world or not. Why do people say it needs to be instanced? Get organized, get people on the turrets early, and don’t afk. What’s inherently wrong with hard open world content (hard as in not just showing up pushing 1 then going afk)? Nothing. It’s also just the second day and multiple servers have killed him. Most games when new raid content is released take longer than that to figure out. There is HUGE world and ONE part of it is too hard and needs a nerf? Please… let us have this ONE thing you selfish ultracasuals.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in Tequatl Rising

rjnemer.7816

Many people were asking for harder content and don’t care if it’s open world or not. Why do people say it needs to be instanced? Get organized, get people on the turrets early, and don’t afk. What’s inherently wrong with hard open world content (hard as in not just showing up pushing 1 then going afk)? Nothing. It’s also just the second day and multiple servers have killed him. Most games when new raid content is released take longer than that to figure out. There is HUGE world and ONE part of it is too hard and needs a nerf? Please… let us have this ONE thing you selfish casuals.

Lol wut? IM ON YOUR SIDE. That is if you really are for harder content. If you think this is hard well….

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: CattivoUomo.7198

CattivoUomo.7198

The problem is there is no way to separate without an instance.

There is no way to increase the timer without an instance? I disagree. Just add more time to it. At the end of the event, if he dies under ‘x’ number of minutes, the chances to loot higher rewards is given to those players on the map at the time. Besides that, it’s software….anything is possible with the proper programming.

in Tequatl Rising

Aberrant.6749

Many people were asking for harder content and don’t care if it’s open world or not. Why do people say it needs to be instanced? Get organized, get people on the turrets early, and don’t afk. What’s inherently wrong with hard open world content (hard as in not just showing up pushing 1 then going afk)? Nothing. It’s also just the second day and multiple servers have killed him. Most games when new raid content is released take longer than that to figure out. There is HUGE world and ONE part of it is too hard and needs a nerf? Please… let us have this ONE thing you selfish casuals.

Lol wut? IM ON YOUR SIDE. That is if you really are for harder content. If you think this is hard well….

I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU. Also capslock rules <3

Tarnished Coast

in Tequatl Rising

rjnemer.7816

Sorry i misread. I also dont really care about tequatl. They can nerf it back to the way it was day 1 for all i care. The rewards are absolute kitten. Open world players will be back to champ farming soon enough.

in Tequatl Rising

Aberrant.6749

Sorry i misread. I also dont really care about tequatl. They can nerf it back to the way it was day 1 for all i care. The rewards are absolute kitten. Open world players will be back to champ farming soon enough.

We choose to go to kill teq in this hour and to do these other things not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.

Tarnished Coast