Tequatl Lore: ...what?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: DelayTheDecay.2675

DelayTheDecay.2675

Initially, I was very confused by this update. It seems really out of place, and just confusing, given the direction that the living story has been going so far.

However, after thinking about it for a little bit, I think that this can have real potential with moving the main storyline of Guild Wars 2 forward.

While most people are skeptical that the dragons will be involved with the living story, this update seems to say otherwise, and I think that’s a good thing.

So, first of all, we know that Tequatl is (was?) Zhaitan’s Lieutenant and Champion. We also know that at this point in the story, Zhaitan is dead, which makes Tequatl’s resurgence a bit odd. Sure, there are still Risen milling about all across the Sea of Sorrows, but it was implied that their power and numbers were dwindling without their Elder Dragon around.

With this in mind, I can think of two possibilities:

Tequatl, being created by an Elder Dragon, entwined with much of the magic of the Elder Dragons, absorbed much of Zhaitan’s magic after he fell, much the way that the Elder Dragons themselves consume the magic of Tyria.

Or, Tequatl, leaderless and with draining strength, sought out a new master: a master in the “depths.” Yes, Zhaitan was related closely to water, sleeping beneath a sunken nation, and surrounded by the Sea of Sorrows, but ArenaNet seem to be putting particular emphasis on the fact that Tequatl is “rising” from deep in the ocean. The Sea of Sorrows seems to be a relatively shallow body of water, dotted with islands and archipelagos aplenty, so it’s likely that Tequatl is actually emerging from the Unending Ocean, which is highly speculated to be the location of Bubbles.

Personally, I like that theory much more, even if it may be stretching things a bit. However, if one imagines Tequatl as being of similar intellect as Glint, it does make a bit of sense.

Putting Tequatl’s lore aside for a moment, this update puts the living story in a very interesting position. Throughout the living story, we’ve seen recurrent characters in each update: Rox, Braham, Kiel, etc.. Although Kiel is probably busy in Lion’s Arch, it’s very likely that we’ll see Rox and Braham interacting with Tequatl, and even more likely that certain members of Destiny’s Edge will make an appearance. AreanNet is poised perfectly to take these new characters, which many players have started to grow attached to, and throw them into the dragon fight, perhaps becoming the catalysts to reform Destiny’s Edge, or form a new group to combat the Elder Dragons.

It’s an extremely exciting prospect, and I can’t wait for this update, and to see how all of these simultaneous storylines (Marjory and E, Ellen Kiel and Gnashblade, the Consortium) tie into the future of Tyria.

What do you guys think?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Creld.8702

Creld.8702

I think you deserve a cookie for theory, and I doubt (though am open to being wrong) that there will be any major tie ins here.

Asura Engineer- Aelara Fole

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

More likely they have just given up on the whole living story thing and are just going to random content “updates” where they just change already existing content to save even more money…

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

……at this point in the story, Zhaitan is dead,
…….

I found the flaw in your way too long theory. YOU assume Zhaitan is dead but all other players that have not finished the Personal Story don’t quite see it that way (so your theory is based on a kittenumption).

The LS saga intentionally NEVER assumes that it occurs after the end of the existing Personal Story because not all players have yet completed it. This does lead to plenty of confusion and questions as to the direction the LS is actually headed.

EDIT: Kittenumption is my new favorite word….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I found the flaw in your way too long theory. YOU assume Zhaitan is dead but all other players that have not finished the Personal Story don’t quite see it that way (so your theory is based on a kittenumption).

The LS saga intentionally NEVER assumes that it occurs after the end of the existing Personal Story because not all players have yet completed it. This does lead to plenty of confusion and questions as to the direction the LS is actually headed.

As stated by a lead content designer, the living story (starting with Southsun and continuing with everything after it) picks up after the end of the personal story, at which point Zhaitan and Tequatl are dead. The personal story has been completed in the world whether or not you have personally done it.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Outlaw.3421

Outlaw.3421

Yeah, I am interested to see the story on this one.

I am guessing it is one of those, “we saw it fall in the water, but that didn’t mean it died” scenarios.

As for other dragon champs,

• Shatterer exploded so I imagine there are other names for Kralk’s champs
  • Claw of Jormag fell in the water, but I am assuming there are multiple of them just like the Eyes and Mouth of Zhaitan

(edited by Outlaw.3421)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

Living story takes place at the same time as the Player’s character’s point in the story.

http://wartower.tumblr.com/post/60458277036/this-lorespecial-is-about-scarlet-briar-the-evil

(It’s English after the German intro. Don’t know how to skip ahead, but it’s in there)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Mia Lunarfang.5826

Mia Lunarfang.5826

Lore? Ha! This is guild wars 2. Tequatl’s revamp has nothing to do with story progression, they just wanted to make his encounter more intense and enjoyable… lets hope they didn’t miss the mark and move straight into the realm of painful and lengthy.

in Tequatl Rising

Mia Lunarfang.5826

Living story takes place at the same time as the Player’s character’s point in the story.

http://wartower.tumblr.com/post/60458277036/this-lorespecial-is-about-scarlet-briar-the-evil

(It’s English after the German intro. Don’t know how to skip ahead, but it’s in there)

Impossible, Aetherblades use pact airships, as well as other references to Zhiatain’s fall; this is post personal story.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Alleluia.1320

Alleluia.1320

Dragon Bash was being celebrated a year after Zhaitan’s defeat. It was mentioned in the text or cutscenes somewhere. Point is, its happened already, so the living world is indeed post-personal story.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

first i thought this was just an update to the fight, but if its part of the living story then it can be assumed that zhaitain isn’t dead then, he was the zombie dragon and we didn’t burn the corpse.

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Grimthagen.6019

Grimthagen.6019

Personally, I’ve always thought it to be patently ridiculous that Zhaitan is “dead”.

I mean really – how do you actually kill the natural force that represents undeath?

In all fantasy literature, you destroy the undead by destroying their corporeal form or disrupting the magic that reanimates the dead flesh. That magic presumably doesn’t disappear but goes back to where ever the magic of undeath comes from. Zhaitan is where that magic comes from – so how could we possibly “kill” it.

I could see destroying its current form. I could even potentially see the logic that Zhaitan is subdued while it recovers from its defeat. However, I just can’t see how it could be “dead”.

in Tequatl Rising

Mia Lunarfang.5826

Personally, I’ve always thought it to be patently ridiculous that Zhaitan is “dead”.

I mean really – how do you actually kill the natural force that represents undeath?

In all fantasy literature, you destroy the undead by destroying their corporeal form or disrupting the magic that reanimates the dead flesh. That magic presumably doesn’t disappear but goes back to where ever the magic of undeath comes from. Zhaitan is where that magic comes from – so how could we possibly “kill” it.

I could see destroying its current form. I could even potentially see the logic that Zhaitan is subdued while it recovers from its defeat. However, I just can’t see how it could be “dead”.

Zhaitain, is not ‘death’ itself, he merely has the power to raise the dead.

in Tequatl Rising

Conncept.7638

Well actually, he probably isn’t permanently dead, in fact no dragon ever is. There’s a piece of dialogue somewhere (wish I could remember where, it was in a personal story instance) in which an asura scientist states that ancient dwarven history shows that the dragons have undoubtedly been defeated before. But they live in a constant cycle which completely ignores life and death, raising up over and over again to either destroy the world or be destroyed regardless of their previous success or failure.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

Impossible, Aetherblades use pact airships, as well as other references to Zhiatain’s fall; this is post personal story.

Aetherblades are Scarlet Briar’s minions. She also counts the steam creatures amongst her minions. Steam creatures are from an alternate universe set in the future of our own, likely after the personal story, which has some form of permanent link through which they constantly stream through into our world.

What’s not to say she didn’t get access to pact technology from there as an explanation as to why the aetherblades have Pact airships?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

Hey, it’s Angel’s and Scott’s way of dealing with the LS. They also said they’ll do their best not to create paradoxes, but they’re only human. It’s all in the link.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

As stated by a lead content designer, the living story (starting with Southsun and continuing with everything after it) picks up after the end of the personal story, at which point Zhaitan and Tequatl are dead. The personal story has been completed in the world whether or not you have personally done it.

Do you have the location of the quote for that by chance. It would be something nice to add to the wiki for timeline reasons.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

It is more likely that this is jut something random they decided to do and there is no relevance to any on going story.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

• Claw of Jormag fell in the water, but I am assuming there are multiple of them just like the Eyes and Mouth of Zhaitan

That’s correct. The boss is referred to as “A Claw of Jormag”, inferring that there are multiple.

@OP: I laughed at “Bubbles”

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

It is more likely that this is jut something random they decided to do and there is no relevance to any on going story.

most likely

AmateurNet

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

“To stop this rampaging beast, you’ll join forces with old friends and new allies in a desperate battle where failure is a very real option.”

This strongly implies that it will be worked into the Living Story, with lore and dialogue and whole shebang. I expect we’ll see Braham and Rox, at the very least.

I should be writing.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Although I wish your theory were true, I’d lower your expectations if I were you.

I very much doubt there will be any story or lore involved, just a revamped more dynamic boss fight that is on an endless repeating timer.

I doubt the Living Story team designed this. I think SAB is this months living story (as it’s quite a hefty lump of content imo), and these updates on the 17th were created by the other teams in Anet.

To sum up, I don’t think Tequatl is part of the Living Story, as the mechanics of world bosses contradicts the Living World.

| Lithia |

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

“To stop this rampaging beast, you’ll join forces with old friends and new allies in a desperate battle where failure is a very real option.”

This strongly implies that it will be worked into the Living Story, with lore and dialogue and whole shebang. I expect we’ll see Braham and Rox, at the very least.

Hopefully. I like a whole lot of stuff about Gw2, which explains why I’ve been playing is regularly since launch. However, the story blows. I really want them to do some stuff with the story to make it more compelling.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Just because zhaitan is more dead than he usually is, doesn’t mean the risens will all cease to exist. Just look at the arah explorable dungeon. All those risens are un-living and well.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

Inb4 Bubbles = Cantha/Hoenn Remakes/Half-Life 3 CONFIRMED.
/nope

I like your theory a lot btw. I really wanted it to be true, but I think this is merely a game play change and won’t have any lore behind it. Let’s hope that I am wrong and that you are right ^^

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Zhaitan is forever dead. Really. It’s very likely. Probably. Possibly.

Though it shouldn’t surprise anyone that a godlike undead being (and by extension, the macabre machinations he raises and creates) can’t seem to stay dead.

As far as it concerns our times though, Zhaitan is very likely “dead” in the sense that his power has been defeated. He can’t feed or do any more harm to anyone.

Zhaitan is in all likelihood hopelessly unable to raise himself anytime time soon within the current millennium.

Or else indeed he is really truly dead and all that remains of him are the remnants of his reanimated corpses and higher creations.

This new event is the only thing honestly calling the “truly dead” thought into question in my mind.

Very interesting event, it’ll be nice to see how this plays out and what’s up with Tequatl in general.

The art is really top notch, reminds me of Pacific Rim just a bit.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Didn’t Teq kill our mentor in my story. As far as personal vendettas go it probably should be most hated dragon among the player population. Is this part of lore for Teq?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

Or, Tequatl, leaderless and with draining strength, sought out a new master: a master in the “depths.” Yes, Zhaitan was related closely to water, sleeping beneath a sunken nation, and surrounded by the Sea of Sorrows, but ArenaNet seem to be putting particular emphasis on the fact that Tequatl is “rising” from deep in the ocean. The Sea of Sorrows seems to be a relatively shallow body of water, dotted with islands and archipelagos aplenty, so it’s likely that Tequatl is actually emerging from the Unending Ocean, which is highly speculated to be the location of Bubbles.

Yay. Bubbles!

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: phaneo.4597

phaneo.4597

Didn’t Teq kill our mentor in my story. As far as personal vendettas go it probably should be most hated dragon among the player population. Is this part of lore for Teq?

No it didn’t.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blightghast_the_Plaguebringer

It was Blightghast who attacked Claw Island and caused your mentor to die in the process. Although they both use similar models, Tequatl is an open world Champion of Zhaitan and doesn’t show up anywhere in your personal story.

KNOW YOUR ROLE, JABRONI!
Tee See

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Which as I have said elsewhere, just turns the lore chronology into a clusterkitten.

The Living Story takes elements that must be after certain parts of the personal story (Aetherblades stealing the Pact Airships), yet at the same time the living story and personal story occur “in whatever order the player experiences it.”

Right… So the Aetherblades stole from the Pact, before the Pact existed. Gotcha!

This is part of the reason why I think ArenaNet no longer cares about their lore – despite what Bobby Stein says in the Living World Forum posts.

Well actually, he probably isn’t permanently dead, in fact no dragon ever is. There’s a piece of dialogue somewhere (wish I could remember where, it was in a personal story instance) in which an asura scientist states that ancient dwarven history shows that the dragons have undoubtedly been defeated before. But they live in a constant cycle which completely ignores life and death, raising up over and over again to either destroy the world or be destroyed regardless of their previous success or failure.

I have yet to see such a thing.

Perhaps you are mistaking your memory with the Forging the Pact personal storyline step, in which the Priory finds a dwarven tomb that details previous battles with the Elder Dragon and that they believe a hint to defeating the dragons is in the tome? It’s never said the tome details that the dragons have been defeated before. Let alone “undoubtedly.”

If that’s not what you were referring to, I require a link. Because that’s something that next to everyone everywhere in the history of Guild Wars 2 has overlooked it seems.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

If this is indeed after Zhaitan’s death (though I think this particular event is separated from the Living Story in general, the achievement pannel is included under “bosses” instead of “Living Story”), I think that if Tequatl could’ve been a former body part of Zhaitan (who is made by multiple zombie dragon) that deattached once got strong enough and became a champion. So with the fall of Zhaitan, Tequatl being a former part of it might serve to regenerate Zhaitan essence from it (kind of like wolverine or deadpool in comics can regenerate from body parts) and that’s how it’s getting stronger.

It could also be a case similar to Mallyx that was trying to get Abaddon’s power after his fall IIRC.

But I don’t know if this is considered or not to be after the personal story.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Genreninja.8516

Genreninja.8516

I don’t think they’re straying too far here. They’re implying Tequatl is “evolving”, which gives a sort of in-game explanation for the changes to the battle.

Someone also mentioned how in the PS there is scene that explains the “cycle” of the dragons. That they never die and never live. They only sleep and feed. The only motivations dragons ever have, is to feed. All other ulterior motives are dreamed up by their champions; And ultimately those goals always lead to the Dragon being able to feed.

There’s a Youtube out there that really digs into the Dragon cycle, AND how the Sylvari may actually be the minions of a Dragon that was corrupted/influenced by the Ventari Tablet. A theory I’m quite fond of.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Thryfe.2576

Thryfe.2576

I think it may just be an update with no tie in to the Living Story. However for any of the Devs reading this thread please take note because if this is tied to the LS it would be extremely welcome and exciting to the players. After the personal story was finished I feel like the games Lore is just not existent.

The living story updates have been great content wise but well, story wise they haven’t really been appealing to me much at all. i’m sure not all, but others feel the same. The New Tequatl has great Lore potential. Please do something with it.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

i believe that Zhaitan is wounded, not dead, and they are going to release eventually some living story to finish Zhaitan’s fight the right way

or they are just going to revamp the Arah fight….but the first sounds better =)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: arabeth.2361

arabeth.2361

I just assumed it was an incredibly thinly veiled Godzilla reference.

Like, the whole update was one big Godzilla homage.

in Tequatl Rising

Conncept.7638

I have yet to see such a thing.

Perhaps you are mistaking your memory with the Forging the Pact personal storyline step, in which the Priory finds a dwarven tomb that details previous battles with the Elder Dragon and that they believe a hint to defeating the dragons is in the tome? It’s never said the tome details that the dragons have been defeated before. Let alone “undoubtedly.”

If that’s not what you were referring to, I require a link. Because that’s something that next to everyone everywhere in the history of Guild Wars 2 has overlooked it seems.

No that wasn’t it, I remember that, but I don’t recall this piece of dialogue having anything to do with the current mission, if I remember correctly it was an environmental conversation between two NPCs. And one remarked that by dwarven history, the dragons had to have been defeated previously. Beyond that, the idea that death doesn’t matter to them is my own theory. But it makes sense to me, if they’re defeated they are killed, if they are killed and return, then they obviously don’t die.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: DelayTheDecay.2675

DelayTheDecay.2675

Lore? Ha! This is guild wars 2. Tequatl’s revamp has nothing to do with story progression, they just wanted to make his encounter more intense and enjoyable… lets hope they didn’t miss the mark and move straight into the realm of painful and lengthy.

Unfortunately, I’ve been getting this feeling more and more recently. It’s really disappointing, especially for someone used to the lore quality of Guild Wars 1, and looking for that around every corner in the new Tyria.

I’m not saying that they’re not adding any new story; they certainly are. My complaint is that the stories are shallow and brief, often having no connections to the world in scope. Scarlet was nice in that she incorporated so many different elements and factions and basically gave theorycrafters all the materials they needed to run wild, but it gave no real evidence to anything. There are far too many mysteries in Tyria for them to make a satisfying story by introducing new factions and enemies that have nothing to do with anything else.

But then again, they drop little things here and there that hint that they haven’t forgotten (the ascended Ancient Mursaat Token, the canceled Abaddon fractal, even the scheduled Thaumanova fractal).

It feels like there are two forces inside ArenaNet: one pulling to go back and expand on the rich and wonderful story they’ve created, and one trying to make cheap, quick content for players that don’t care about the story. It seems like the latter has been winning, and it’s really disappointing.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Ed of Death.4819

Ed of Death.4819

I’m going to doubt theirs any lore here. It’s just an update to this fight and other game mechanics. This doesn’t appear to be a LS event.

I’m personally glad they are updating some of the world fights. But please for all that is holy let Zhaitan be dead and done with. Lets move on to the next Dragon please.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

A quote from Scarlet in the “What Scarlet Saw” short story:

“But I reject that call. I reject the notion that that I must choose the Dream or be lost to Nightmare. The forces that push us this way or that can be redirected. They can be set against one another to the detriment of both, and now I know how.”

My theory is that she’s going to going to set the various factions against one another, thus explaining many world boss and dungeon changes that are upcoming.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Zelkovan.2630

Zelkovan.2630

Much applause to OP, but I can almost guarantee that Anet won’t tie this into the Living World/Story. Isn’t to say I wouldn’t mind being COMPLETELY wrong, since you know, we actually want nicely driven stories but…

What Anet seems to do is introduce lore of characters/factions that is are very interesting and instead of expanding on that they either remove it or don’t’ ever mention it ever again (e.g. the Zephyrites and how many thought the “secret” they were guarding was Glint’s offspring)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

But that doesn’t make sense. As seen in the queen’s jubilee apparently Rytlock and Logan still hate each other, even though they’ve kissed and made up. Even though that was an illusion, how Logan reacts to the illusion proves that.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I think Zhaitan is just as dead as now as he was after the last dragon crisis many years ago.

I don’t see the Tequatl upgrade as a change to the lore, just a change to the encounter to make it more interesting.

(edited by DarcShriek.5829)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

I think Zhaitan is just as dead as now as he was after the last dragon crisis many years ago.

I don’t see the Tequatl upgrade as a change to the lore, just a change to the encounter to make it more interesting.

Yup. From your character’s perspective Tequatl has always been this strong. no lore needed. Gameplay updates are just gameplay updates.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

I’m really not sure why so many people are assuming that the dragon of undeath would die permanently from being shot at by some mere Pact cannons. Most likely he crashed into the very depths of the City of the Gods where he is now regenerating.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Zovo.7829

Zovo.7829

Ok, couple of things I’m running into in this thread that don’t make sense to me.

First, the assumption that this won’t tie into the Living Story. I expect thakittenwill and here is why:

1. Let’s start with the obvious; this thread exists in the Living Story Forum. A place specifically designated for Living Story content. If it was just a plain old lore-kitten ss update, it’d just be a patch-note like all the other bosses. Teq’s “evolution” is relevant somehow to the story.
2. The Living Story -isn’t- just the story of the Aetherblades and Scarlet Briar and those things which we’ve already encountered. It’s the story of Tyria. A whole world. That’s why it’s called the “Living World”. I see no reason why only one plot can be in play at any given time when dealing with the scope of an entire world. So Scarlet Briar has been defeated and is taken a break while she plans her next move; great. But guess what? Something else is happening; a beast once thought defeated has arisen and is back to wreak havoc! I see no reason why a living story event -must- be connected to Scarlet Briar, or the Molten Alliance, or anything else that has happened so far. Could it be related to Scarlet Briar? I suppose, with the right mental acrobatics you could tie them together somehow… but it shouldn’t -have- to be in order to be part of the Living World of Tyria.

The other thing that’s not making sense to me is the debate about the chronology of events and whether or not this and other events occur before or after the Personal Story has been completed.

While I see what both sides are trying to say, the fact is that the developers -have- to create events that occur post-Personal Story. If they don’t, then it creates a world which is the opposite of Living. The personal Story, in effect, never ends because though you might finish it… The guy next to you hasn’t, your alt hasn’t, the kid at the store buying the game for the first time hasn’t. If events added into the game never take place -after- the living story then what we end up with is a game that -never- progresses beyond the -beginning- of the Personal Story.

Why the beginning? Because if we assume Zhaitan was never killed and still lives, why should we assume that Or was ever purified? Or that the Pact was founded? Or the Caledbolg was ever retrieved? Or -anything- the players have done ever happened?

Assuming Zhaitan still lives essentially relegates the entire world outside of the Personal Story into a -prelude- to said Personal Story. Everything happens -before- you start; which, I think we can all agree, makes zero sense.

The Personal Story is just that, Personal. It takes place in a sort of figurative sub-dimension where your character is experiencing certain events at his own pace while the rest of the world has moved on. Every Living Story moment added to the game since release takes place -after- Zhaitan has been defeated; regardless of where you are in -your- Personal sub-dimension of a story.

You cannot use your characters’ progress as a chronology of a world which exists independently of your character. Otherwise Destiny’s Edge gets together all wonky-like if you do the dungeons in the wrong order and nothing makes sense.

The world lives on without you. If you haven’t killed Zhaitan yet, so what? It’s irrelevant because hundreds of other people have. “But they don’t count to me!” you say. Well, you don’t count to them either.

I believe the Teq evolution -will- be tied to the Living World and I believe it will be a relevant result of Zhaitan’s defeat.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

One thing is for sure: ArenaNet’s started keeping a lot of secrets with the more recent serious updates. I feel that Tequatl will tie into the lore SIGNIFICANTLY, and they’re playing it out like it’s just another update, like they did with the Queen’s Speech (except Tequatl can’t deface the page like Scarlet. He’s a little behind the times).

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: kristof.7182

kristof.7182

After Zhaitan’s death, another dragon should consume his power and control his minions.
It would be great and every dragon would be more difficult.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

But that doesn’t make sense. As seen in the queen’s jubilee apparently Rytlock and Logan still hate each other, even though they’ve kissed and made up. Even though that was an illusion, how Logan reacts to the illusion proves that.

There’s no indication that they hate each other still. Rytlock just hates seeing how Logan acts around Jennah (which has been true since Logan first laid eyes on Jennah in Edge of Destiny, I believe). And how Logan reacts to the illusion just shows that he’s sore that Rytlock hated him – which is a good development and, imo, a realistic response even if the two became friends again.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Ian.7314

Ian.7314

looking at the OPs theory,There updating all bosses but focusing on Tequatl , The first line of the page is “It has been gathering power in the depths”. Zhaitan the only barrier to the unending ocean is now dead. and its been a year since the games release. ia ia bubbles fhtagn. it wouldn’t make seance not to take this anywhere.

All you talk about is aliens and ghosts and seeing Bigfoot in your garage!
He was using the belt sander…

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

First, the bit about the dragons being defeated before isn’t true. The referenced dialog (and several others like it) state that the dragons have been weakened before and that so far it’s been a never ending cycle of the dragons getting getting stronger and then getting weaker. So far (at that point of the Personal Story) the peoples of Tyria have only been able to weaken the dragons, sometimes to the point of hibernation. The dialog mentioned is in reference to using previous encounters to help weaken the dragons enough to get a killing blow in.

Second, I don’t think the big Z is dead at all – merely weakened again. That’s only because of how the “fight” was done and the lack of a corpse. We don’t go down in to the depths of Arah and party. We don’t even take a trophy shot. We run back to base to watch techno moas. There’s been nothing further on the purification of Orr, which should be well on the way if Z is dead.

Third, it does make little sense for the controlled minion to suddenly be more powerful when the controller is dead or dormant. Are the lieutenants are supposed to be some kind of different? This would be a good point to work up some kind of continuation of the existing promotion (think Jojo and Shatner rank titles). That we’ve killed dad but son is there to rise up and take his place. This, to me, seems to be the best likely tie-in.

It makes sense considering the actions the story took to “kill” Z. We pretty much created a hole and sliced our way straight for Z, doing enough damage to kitten Z off enough that it comes out looking for the fight. Flying around above Arah, we only take out a few of the dragon minions, ignoring the (apparent) hundreds others. The whole story seems to be “cut off the head, the rest falls; okay, how do we get to the head? starve it out a bit; okay head’s dead, we won… right?” Now here’s where Teq gets to say “haha, no”.

All-in-all, it’s a pretty elaborate way of explaining why suddenly the dragon that we could just pedicure to death before is no longer so weak. I truly hope for such thought out writing and story, but the track record so far hasn’t shown Anet all that capable.

(edited by Pennry.9215)