About new armor skins and some feedback

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

I don’t see anything wrong with the female heavy armor.

It’s a step back from the full cover-up sets (which happens to take up the majority of female heavy armors) and gives people some more variety.

Now if Anet decides to follow this theme, then we’d have a problem. So far they’ve been rather good at keeping it more realistic than the stereotypical nonsense you might see in other MMOs. So kudos to that.

Frankly, this upset behavior over something as minor as one set being so different, is indeed faceplam worthy.

So… to this thread:

/facepalm

/facepalm

Male = Fully Covered
Female = Heels, skirt and possible panty shots

If the male armor was also skimpy, you wouldn’t hear half of these complaints but instead, we get… whatever the heavy armor is supposed to be.. and it doesn’t stop there, some of the other gem store armors are just as bad.

Gettin’ mighty tired of the “male gaze” determining how I can dress my female toons…

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

If the current female phalanx armor had just been part of a different set that had a similar male counterpart; I’d have not likely given two kittens.

Just annoying as hell to see a chance at well done general purpose plate armor slip away from my female warrior.

PS: For the next kitten that links a list of crap lowbie armors and dungeon armors? They don’t fuggin count because they look either awful or have some weird kitten theme I don’t care for.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: WhiteRose.6934

WhiteRose.6934

I think the new both male and female armor looks stylish.
What is the problem do you want female armor to look exactly like male armor?
How is it a stripped out cleavage version just because it shows the hips ?
So what do you want , burqa ? I dont get it.

How do you assume that just because we don’t want a woman with boobs hanging out all over the place, we must want a burqa? We don’t want burqa’s, we’re just sick and tired of female characters being turned into sex objects and treated as playthings for men—instead of actual soldiers who need protection.

Please don’t use “we’re” as if you speak for everyone, especially not all girls. I’m actually tired of girls always causing crap like this because one armor set caters to the players that want their characters to look sexy and not layered in pounds of armor. It’s a fantasy game, let people have their fantasy. I for one love this armor set and plan on saving the funds to get it for my Gaurdian. I looked at the armor and literally thought “Finally an armor set for me.”

The reason why people think you want a burqa is because everytime an armor set, in any MMO, is revealing it instantly is attacked for being ‘out of taste’ and blah blah blah. 20 armor sets will then be released catering to your desires, and when one more is released that’s revealing it’s back too “OMG every female armor too revealing”.

So please, don’t try and speak for all of “us.” I prefer to not be associated with people who make noise simply for the sake of complaining.

Genesis Theory [GT] – Henge of Denravi

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Wow, that’s an outrageous difference, holy crap.

And, personally, it looks pretty bad. Why are there tire treads on the chestpiece, sweet jesus.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: havellian.4073

havellian.4073

O hey look it’s this thread again! (albeit with a different title in a different part of the forums)… mods, would be wise to merge this crap

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

How do you assume that just because we don’t want a woman with boobs hanging out all over the place, we must want a burqa? We don’t want burqa’s, we’re just sick and tired of female characters being turned into sex objects and treated as playthings for men—instead of actual soldiers who need protection.

“Women with boobs hanging out all over the place” is just as wildly misrepresentative of what your opponents want as “burqa” is. Feel free to come back to the boards with an argument once “boobs hanging out all over the place” is a real thing that is happening in the game.

The reason why people think you want a burqa is because everytime an armor set, in any MMO, is revealing it instantly is attacked for being ‘out of taste’ and blah blah blah. 20 armor sets will then be released catering to your desires, and when one more is released that’s revealing it’s back too “OMG every female armor too revealing”.

Having 95% of the heavy armors being super conservative will never be enough for some people.

in Tower of Nightmares

panzer.6034

Maybe you’re the kind of woman that prefers to show herself off and defy the laws of decency, but some ladies would prefer to look and be taken seriously.

Ah. The classic “i see some of a woman’s skin, i know longer respect her” stealth-misogynist faux feminism.

in Tower of Nightmares

WhiteRose.6934

I think the new both male and female armor looks stylish.
What is the problem do you want female armor to look exactly like male armor?
How is it a stripped out cleavage version just because it shows the hips ?
So what do you want , burqa ? I dont get it.

Please don’t use “we’re” as if you speak for everyone, especially not all girls. I’m actually tired of girls always causing crap like this because one armor set caters to the players that want their characters to look sexy and not layered in pounds of armor. It’s a fantasy game, let people have their fantasy. I for one love this armor set and plan on saving the funds to get it for my Gaurdian. I looked at the armor and literally thought “Finally an armor set for me.”

So please, don’t try and speak for all of “us.” I prefer to not be associated with people who make noise simply for the sake of complaining.

It is out of taste.

Virtually no armor in this game is actually protective. You’re exposed. You’ll freeze to death in the Icier lands and die to normally glancing blows, if you follow realism.

Maybe you’re the kind of woman that prefers to show herself off and defy the laws of decency, but some ladies would prefer to look and be taken seriously.

http://www.gw2armor.com/human/female/heavy_list.php

I encourage you to take a look at these armors, I think you will find plenty of armor that suits your needs of full covering, along with a few armors for those like me that want their characters to fit the theme of fantasy. That’s not even counting styles you can create by mixing sets together.

And please, insult how I present myself more to validate your argument against armor styles in a fantasy MMO, I assure you that it helps your cause.

Attachments:

(edited by WhiteRose.6934)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Ah. The classic “i see some of a woman’s skin, i know longer respect her” stealth-misogynist faux feminism.

I’m not a misogynist, but you’re not going to believe me, Panzer. You’re obviously the type to make hasty convictions. Not that I blame you for the action of jumping at me, this is a pretty sensitive topic and I admittedly used stronger words than were necessary.

Let me break how I see things down for you:

I want my Nornfem character to have armor that wouldn’t result in her dying to an accidental scrape in the fray. I get that most people don’t pretend to hold their MMO character to any standard of realism, but for those of us that do, there should be options.

If that angers you, deal with it.

By the way, since this thread is made in regards to heavy armor, that’ll be what I’m referring to. Light armor and medium armor is for mobility and I really couldn’t care less about how open those two types are.

My problem is that the vast majority of the heavy armor is very open and appears simply decorative on ladies. “95% of the armor” is not conservative. Not by a long shot. Do I have a problem with women getting to wear cleave-y gear? Pff, no. I wouldn’t be on an MMO if I was… What did you call it? ‘conservative’, right? I’d have busted every gasket in my body once I saw Kasmeer’s outfit. Then I would’ve keeled over vomiting foam, curses and oaths.

By the way, I didn’t do that.

Are you getting the picture? I don’t mind the presence of cleave-y gear in measured doses. I’d just like more options for gear that isn’t.

I get that you want to be able to wear your armor to the moot and still look stunning. The option should be there for people who want to look like that, but the artists are making almost strictly cleave-y gear now. I had to think outside the box just to find armor that actually appeared to function as armor.

Anyway, I’m done ranting. You can call me mean words now.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

(edited by Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

And please, insult how I present myself more to validate your argument against armor styles in a fantasy MMO, I assure you that it helps your cause.

Thank you, actually. I’ve never really played humans or looked at their cultural gear. I’ve seen it on males plenty of times, but never on females until just now.

I apologize for offending you. What I said wasn’t necessary and was particularly badly worded. I hope to be able to avoid such mistakes in the future.

Edit: That’s a good list, thanks. It’ll be useful in the future.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

(edited by Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: FunnyCide.5426

FunnyCide.5426

I was really excited about the heavy armor when I saw the screenshot of the male. Then I looked at it on my female character and was utterly disgusted. I want the male version on my female because it just looks so cool. So I guess I’ll save my money for now. =\

in Tower of Nightmares

WhiteRose.6934

Thank you, actually. I’ve never really played humans or looked at their cultural gear. I’ve seen it on males plenty of times, but never on females until just now.

I apologize for offending you. What I said wasn’t necessary and was particularly badly worded. I hope to be able to avoid such mistakes in the future.

That’s the issue in it’s entirety I believe. People focus on the few more revealing armors (that most people use, because god forbid they like them) and choose to ignore the vast amount of conservative armors that exist.

My point, is that it’s tiring how people can’t be excited for something that is their taste without having it instantly attacked for being debauchery, yet you don’t hear people like me complain when armors such as the ones listed previously exist. There are different tastes, and I think GW2 does an excellent job at having a balance for everyone.

And no offense taken.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I’m not a misogynist, but you’re not going to believe me, Panzer. You’re obviously the type to make hasty convictions. Not that I blame you for the action of jumping at me, this is a pretty sensitive topic and I admittedly used stronger words than were necessary.

Let me break how I see things down for you:

I want my Nornfem character to have armor that wouldn’t result in her dying to an accidental scrape in the fray. I get that most people don’t pretend to hold their MMO character to any standard of realism, but for those of us that do, there should be options.

By the way, since this thread is made in regards to heavy armor, that’ll be what I’m referring to. Light armor and medium armor is for mobility and I really couldn’t care less about how open those two types are.

My problem is that the vast majority of the heavy armor is very open and appears simply decorative on ladies. “95% of the armor” is not conservative. Not by a long shot. Do I have a problem with women getting to wear cleave-y gear? Pff, no. I wouldn’t be on an MMO if I was… What did you call it? ‘conservative’, right? I’d have busted every gasket in my body once I saw Kasmeer’s outfit. Then I would’ve keeled over vomiting foam, curses and oaths.

By the way, I didn’t do that.

Are you getting the picture? I don’t mind the presence of cleave-y gear in measured doses. I’d just like more options for gear that isn’t.

I get that you want to be able to wear your armor to the moot and still look stunning. The option should be there for people who want to look like that, but the artists are making almost strictly cleave-y gear now. I had to think outside the box just to find armor that actually appeared to function as armor.

Anyway, I’m done ranting. You can call me mean words now.

While I do agree about the issue of different armors for different genders, personally I do believe that GW2 is the among the best in that sense out of the games I’ve played (AoC would be among the best since the armor was practically the same on both genres).

Looking at the heavy armor front, for example, on this page:

I count 4 sets of armor that I’d consider significantly more revealing/less practical for females than for males, out of 24 sets (note that I’m not counting the pit fighter and barbaric/named sets because if anything the male version is even more revealing).

EDIT: Just noticed you were talking about norn, so make that 5 out of 24 (add 2 because T3 and T2 are significantly more revealing on female, substract one because T1 is more covered on females).

BTW, as part of the lore (don’t remember if it was on GW1, GW2 or on one of the novels I read it), Norn say that their armor isn much for protection but more for looks, it’s actually a source of pride for them to wear lighter and less protected armor in their cold climates, as a show of their toughness.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

in Tower of Nightmares

Overkillengine.6084

That’s the issue in it’s entirety I believe. People focus on the few more revealing armors (that most people use, because god forbid they like them) and choose to ignore the vast amount of conservative armors that exist.

My point, is that it’s tiring how people can’t be excited for something that is their taste without having it instantly attacked for being debauchery, yet you don’t hear people like me complain when armors such as the ones listed previously exist. There are different tastes, and I think GW2 does an excellent job at having a balance for everyone.

And no offense taken.

Not entirely; a lot of the more conservative armors I refuse to use for either my male or female characters because they look freaking awful. Too WoW’fied and covered in gewgaws on one end, and the others like the lowbie chain sets just look too slapdash or spray-painted on. I had been limping along using the legacy set as something knightly but not overly ornate on my Norn Guardian…which brings me to the second part:

The new set was great for males; it just really annoys me and probably others to have something assigned to the females that does not even look like it is the same set at all on top of the prior issue.

(edited by Overkillengine.6084)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Dromar.1027

Dromar.1027

The armor formula for making players happy…

Male = Realistic
Female = Skimpy

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

Its not so much about full coverage as they’re two completely different styles. The helmet alone is no where near the same on the two genders!

Why even call it the same name when they’re nothing alike? Why can’t I have the same look on a female character as the males? Isn’t that the general idea with most of these sets?

ArenaNet! Please release the male Phalanx armor style for females!

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

It’s just one set. Anet has plenty of time to even switch it up with another female cover and perhaps some male slack. Either way, this set still only makes up a very small percent and therefor the “rage” going on is pretty well nullified and irrelevent.

It’s kind of disturbing to see such little amount of rational thinking with these topics.

in Tower of Nightmares

panzer.6034

I’m not a misogynist, but you’re not going to believe me, Panzer. You’re obviously the type to make hasty convictions.

Do you see the irony there? lol

Not that I blame you for the action of jumping at me, this is a pretty sensitive topic and I admittedly used stronger words than were necessary.

Can you see how it’s very hard not to find misogyny when someone claims that a woman who shows her body cannot be taken seriously? That’s a classic example of how women are often misogynistic to other women in our society; women judging other women based on how they dress.

I think others have covered this. There are MORE options that cover your body for heavy armor than skimpy ones! The options are there! You’re in luck!

Not sure why you think i’d be mad that people want conservative armors. I get miffed when people claim that a woman can’t be taken seriously based on her clothes, however.

One of my personal complaints about female armor in this game is that so many of the pieces look big and kitten on males and completely puny on women. You should be able to make a big, built woman with big, kitten armor.

How does that make any sense if we’re talking specifically about the perception of women? If a woman is wearing skimpy clothes and wielding a greatsword in a fight, that’s cool, if she’s a mesmer? If a woman is wearing skimpy clothes and wielding a greatsword in a fight, that’s not cool, if she’s a warrior? Why the arbitrary double standard about what women wear if they are all going to run up into the same lethal conflict?

I bought the Aetherblade heavy set that was recently put out and that covered my character head to toe.

in Tower of Nightmares

WhiteRose.6934

Not entirely; a lot of the more conservative armors I refuse to use for either my male or female characters because they look freaking awful. Too WoW’fied and covered in gewgaws on one end, and the others like the lowbie chain sets just look too slapdash or spray-painted on. I had been limping along using the legacy set as something knightly but not overly ornate on my Norn Guardian…which brings me to the second part:

The new set was great for males; it just really annoys me and probably others to have something assigned to the females that does not even look like it is the same set at all on top of the prior issue.

However we aren’t discussing taste, we’re discussing availability of styles; Conservative vs. Revealing. You can’t say “well there are armor sets that are conservative but I don’t like them, therefore those armors don’t count” because unfortunately the game was designed with more than just you in mind.

I can understand why people may be upset about the set being different from the males, but that doesn’t mean people who do enjoy the set should feel invalidated.

The point is, GW2 is an MMO. It has to cater to a countless amount of people’s styles and tastes. Personally, I think it does an awesome job. And the best part about the gem store armor, and all the armor in the game, is you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to.

(edited by WhiteRose.6934)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

BOTH male and female Phalax armor are beautiful

If you think the female armor is inappropriate you are either taking things too seriously or haven’t realized this is a FANTANSY based MMO. If things were kept realistic there wouldn’t even be 99% of the current content in the game, including the other 4 races.

And its funny if you find the female armor inappropriate where as you have no problem with the CoF or CE armor which has flames coming out of the armor. Im sure that safe and realistic!

Last but not least, I could list you over 20 armor sets which are more ‘realistic" and less revealing for the females but I won’t bother because everyone is aware of the PVP locker by now and whoever is complaining in this thread is honestly doing so because they have nothing better to do at this time

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

The armor formula for making players happy…

Male = Realistic
Female = Skimpy

I’d prefer it so either both are realistic, or both are skimpy (love seeing those manly chests).

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Tower of Nightmares

Overkillengine.6084

However we aren’t discussing taste, we’re discussing availability of styles; Conservative vs. Revealing. You can’t say “well there are armor sets that are conservative but I don’t like them, therefore those armors don’t count” because unfortunately the game was designed with more than just you in mind.

I can understand why people may be upset about the set being different from the males, but that doesn’t mean people who do enjoy the set should feel invalidated.

The point is, GW2 is an MMO. It has to cater to a countless amount of people’s styles and tastes. Personally, I think it does an awesome job. And the best part about the gem store armor, and all the armor in the game, is you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to.

Correction; you are solely worrying about availability of styles. And trying to say that I am invalidating the satisfaction of those that like the current female phalanx armor is an incredibly disingenuous argument at best. I don’t mind if the current appearance is available to those that want it; more power to them. So you can attempt to keep trying that argument but it does not make you correct.

What I and I suspect others are getting upset about is that the current male phalanx appearance is denied to us unless we reroll characters to either be male or of races that tend to have issues with the majority of armors looking horribly stretched and deformed.

Add into this a middleground demographic that is craving armor appearances between plain and tacky and not being well serviced when it comes to that….

Let’s just say I think ArenaNet can do better. They obviously have the potential as shown in the male Phalanx armor.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

If you think the female armor is inappropriate you are either taking things too seriously or haven’t realized this is a FANTANSY based MMO. If things were kept realistic there wouldn’t even be 99% of the current content in the game, including the other 4 races.

Agreed. This is why I want more skimpy male armor but sadly there are very few.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I like the skirt part of the new armor, but if I switched I’d lose my fishnets. Sorry, my psycho norn guardian is keeping her fishnets.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

the trickster light armor looks more like medium armor on my female. its weird and i dont like it at all. i mean if u make a covering light armor, id like to see something more elegant…not haute couture

imo anet is going a “little” bit too much into the direction of david lacroix/Alexander McQueen……(picture below….)

id rather see something simpler (like the other 2 pictures)

Attachments:

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

People are ok with giant purple armored norns with quaggan backpacks but it’s outrageous to give skirt to heavy armor? The hell people?
Broomsticks are ok, and all the othe gimmicks but cleavage is not?

Come on people, it’s a fantasy/disney MMO.
GW2 sadly stopped taking itself seriously long time ago.

in Tower of Nightmares

Overkillengine.6084

There are more of us than you would likely care to recognize that really don’t care for all the gimmicky skins; and have had to scrape by on what little non-tacky low-fantasy offerings the game has. And it’s getting old.

in Tower of Nightmares

Nick.6972

Why do elementalists wear light armor?
I mean, what’s the point? Does it increase you magical power or something?
Why not wear heavy armor instead? More protection!

See how ridiculous it is?
And how come I never hear them chanting their spells?

Fantasy MMO.

in Tower of Nightmares

Overkillengine.6084

The spellcaster = lighter armor design is usually rationalized as the heavier armors interfere with spellcasting or the caster just did not have time to train in both.

So there’s your justification for a minimum level of suspension of disbelief if you are actively interested in one instead of trolling.

GW1 partially avoided this trope with dual classing. Yet GW1 was also a fantasy game.

Also; turn your sound up. All classes have sound bites they randomly say when using skills. It would just be annoying as hell to listen to them every single time.

in Tower of Nightmares

Nick.6972

The whole GW2 is irrational man.
There’s no magic in real life, so there, lets make everyone wield melee weapons.
Rationalizing irrational game is tedious.

-There should be armor options for everyone and all tastes, not just you.

(edited by Nick.6972)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

There’s no magic in real life, so there, lets make everyone wield melee weapons.

Bows/rifles/pistols exist, so it shouldn’t be melee weapons only :p

But I’m still of hte mind that the two heavy armors should have been split. full plate (like male currently) for both, and a separate ‘skimpier’ one (like female currently) for both. Kinda tired of all the heavy armor skirts (even on males they’re there).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Tower of Nightmares

Overkillengine.6084

Rationalizing irrational game is tedious.

-There should be armor options for everyone and all tastes, not just you.

Have you actually read my posts or are you just inserting strawmen so you can troll? I could care less if someone else has high fantasy armor on; what I care about is what is available to me and to those with tastes like me.

There actually isn’t much available right now at all that both looks good and fits those tastes. So I guess in your last line you agree with me then. There should be enough armor options for everyone and not just you.

Bows/rifles/pistols exist, so it shouldn’t be melee weapons only :p

But I’m still of hte mind that the two heavy armors should have been split. full plate (like male currently) for both, and a separate ‘skimpier’ one (like female currently) for both. Kinda tired of all the heavy armor skirts (even on males they’re there).

I’d be immensely happier if they even went back and revised the chest and leggings to attach all belts/skirts to the chest pieces; would make mixing and matching different sets so much easier if we didn’t have to play the “will these clip horribly?” metagame so much.

in Tower of Nightmares

Nick.6972

Please, stop using word troll, its childish and quite frankly makes you look bad.

My point is – it’s not correct to rationalize irrational game, different variations should be available for everyone and all tastes. I understand why some might be upset over male/female difference, however the difference doesn’t make it bad.
It’s also wrong to assume that everyone who likes revealing armor is a pervert or someone who objectifies women.

Personally, I dislike JRPG armors, I dislike “chain bikinis”, however I want variations, I’ve been wearing same heavy armor for months now, and I want something new and unique – the new Phalanx set gave me this option.

in Tower of Nightmares

Overkillengine.6084

Please, stop using word troll, its childish and quite frankly makes you look bad.

My point is – it’s not correct to rationalize irrational game, different variations should be available for everyone and all tastes. I understand why some might be upset over male/female difference, however the difference doesn’t make it bad.
It’s also wrong to assume that everyone who likes revealing armor is a pervert or someone who objectifies women.

Personally, I dislike JRPG armors, I dislike “chain bikinis”, however I want variations, I’ve been wearing same heavy armor for months now, and I want something new and unique – the new Phalanx set gave me this option.

You insist on attributing arguments to me that I have not said. How else am I to interpret that other than as an attempt to troll?

Perversely, you agree with me still; I also was happy to have another heavy armor option at least on my male characters; it was unique and it did not look silly.

Too bad my female heavy armor user did not get that option too. I’ve had the same pieces on her for nearly a year now.

in Tower of Nightmares

Nick.6972

Yeah. That’s a tragedy. I sure as hell wouldn’t complain if they made male armor I couldn’t wear. And quite frankly, there are more options available for those who prefer more of a knight look.
But then again, the sales of the armor will tell us whether people liked this set or not – if they continue making similar armor or not.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

But then again, the sales of the armor will tell us whether people liked this set or not – if they continue making similar armor or not.

Well hopefully they see what race/sex people apply them to, cuz’ I know I’m buying the heavy one, just so I can use it on one of my male heavies and I don’t want them thinking I agree with the way the female one looks.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I usually encounter the phenomenon of: “Oh these shoulders look great on a female character, let’s check out the male version …. NOOO.”

In my ideal dreamworld one set would look very similar and have only slight changes from one gender to the other.

If it’s skimpy on women it should be skimpy on the guys too.

Other than that two additional thoughts, my Norn are never cold and heavy plated armour became obsolete with the invention of gunpowder/rifles.

Now let me use my claws in battle, I don’t need inferiour cold steel!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Tower of Nightmares

Overkillengine.6084

I usually encounter the phenomenon of: “Oh these shoulders look great on a female character, let’s check out the male version …. NOOO.”

In my ideal dreamworld one set would look very similar and have only slight changes from one gender to the other.

If it’s skimpy on women it should be skimpy on the guys too.

This. Either mismatch irritates the bejeesus out of me.

Or seeing something that looks great on a human; but when I preview it on my Norn or heavens forbid a Charr….floating pauldrons bigger than my kitten head.

There is suspension of disbelief and then there is “wtf is this crap?”

So about 99% of pauldrons I can’t stand to use on a Norn or Charr because they look so horrid.

/emote rageface.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

If the armor is skimpy, it should be skimpy for both male and female.

If the armor is full plate, defending the whole body, it should be so for both male and female.

Attachments:

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

i got it for my female warrior , am only using the boots and chest , added aetherblade pants and shoulders for a steampunk look . Works pretty well for me

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

The female version of the Phalanx heavy armor is not something I’m considering at this time for any of my 8 characters, but that does not make it a bad set. The male version of the Phalanx heavy armor is fantastic, and really well made. It’s something I would want on my Guardian, and possibly on my Warrior. I doubt this will be brought over to female characters, so I hope there’s something like it later.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Onis.2418

Onis.2418

Dear Anet, where’s my metal-speedo’s for a male chara.
Give me some eye candy too, kitten kitten.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

Female armor reminds me of …

Attachments:

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

I’m all for skimpy and covering armor both. What I personally don’t get it is why an armor that is fully covering on a male has to have pokey holes when worn by a female. Even worse are the sets where male and female armor can’t be recognized as part of the same set.

If the armor is skimpy it should be skimpy for both genders. If the armor is covering it should be covering for both genders. It doesn’t mean they have to look exactly alike as long as the changes make sense. You can still emphasize the female form with textures and armor shape without carving holes to the armor.

For example look the basic apprentice light armor set. I initially considered creating a female elementalist but the female version of the starting armor turns into a micro skirt, bikini top and garter belt (of all things) which quickly put the thought out of my head.

It felt insulting to be honest. Not because there was a skimpy armor set for females. It felt insulting because you automatically assumed I wouldn’t want female characters to have a similar look as the males have. That I somehow needed a fully covering, robe-like armor to turn into a few straps of cloth or I wouldn’t roll a female light armor character.

Why couldn’t this get the same treatment as acolyte armor or comparatively why not make the apprentice armor skimpy for both? What if the female apprentice armor had been basis for apprentice armor design? If you had turned it into a kilt and a few chest straps on a male.

I think there are room for both types of armors but all I’m asking is a little bit of consistency. I think it’s pretty insulting that the default assumption seems to be players would not use the armor set if it fully covers the female form OR that players would not use the armor set if it is skimpy on a male character. I don’t like the double standard presented here.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

It felt insulting to be honest. Not because there was a skimpy armor set for females. It felt insulting because you automatically assumed I wouldn’t want female characters to have a similar look as the males have. That I somehow needed a fully covering, robe-like armor to turn into a few straps of cloth or I wouldn’t roll a female light armor character.

It’s frustrating because the problem with starting you out in such provocative amour was raised even during the beta weekends, and that feedback was ignored. It was actually changed to this, I think in advance of that convention for Asian markets (g star or something like that?). Before that, starter scholar armour was one of the more neutral early sets, which was much preferred.

Again, I don’t have a problem with this type of armour existing, but it should always be a choice for the player to wear it, and it should never be a case of ‘only skimpy on the female’. Having it forced on you right out of the gate, especially when a) it even potentially clashes with your chosen character background (a human street urchin wouldn’t be wearing such fanciful lingerie, and let’s not even start on at how culturally out of place it is for races like the norn), and b) the male starter scholar is elegant and much more modest, really annoyed me.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I wouldn’t buy the female heavy either (I like the light though). I have T3 cultural on my female Guardian, that’s a good look imo and she looks like a fighter instead of a stripogram.

Plus the chest and waist parts of Phalanx (especially from the back) looks like a van has reversed over her and left tyre treadmarks

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

I find the new design ok. Some people act as if GW2 only has revealing female armors. You want full covered armors? There you go, knock yourself out…

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-dung-sorrow-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-dung-citadel-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-dung-crucible-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-legacy-heritage-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-stand-wornscale-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-stand-banded-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-stand-reinforced-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-stand-guild-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-karma-heavyplate-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-karma-dark-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-karma-temple-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-cult-1-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-cult-2-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-cult-3-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-dung-caudecus-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-dung-twilight-female.jpg

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/e/ef/Aetherblade_Heavy_Armor_Skin_human_female_front.jpg

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/2/2e/2012_August_PrimevalArmorSkin.jpg

Just quoting this because it deserves it.

As for those complaining that the female phalanx isn’t identical to the male phalanx. I have some bad news for you. The male phalanx is so generic you can pretty much put it together by mixing and matching the armor sets above. The only thing really unique is the shoulders and helmet. You can get the shoulder design from the female set, so really you’re down to simply complaining that you don’t get the helmet. A fair complaint… The female helmet looks stupid.

End of the day, Female characters actually got a new armor design and males just got more of the same.

Arenanet please give that Phalanx helm to females somehow.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

It’s frustrating because the problem with starting you out in such provocative amour was raised even during the beta weekends, and that feedback was ignored. It was actually changed to this, I think in advance of that convention for Asian markets (g star or something like that?). Before that, starter scholar armour was one of the more neutral early sets, which was much preferred.

Again, I don’t have a problem with this type of armour existing, but it should always be a choice for the player to wear it, and it should never be a case of ‘only skimpy on the female’. Having it forced on you right out of the gate, especially when a) it even potentially clashes with your chosen character background (a human street urchin wouldn’t be wearing such fanciful lingerie, and let’s not even start on at how culturally out of place it is for races like the norn), and b) the male starter scholar is elegant and much more modest, really annoyed me.

I was very surprised at their decision. As you’ve already said, it makes no sense to be worn by sylvari or norn females, and even for commoners or street rats of humans. Back in the 2010 games expo trials, it was perfectly done: street rats had poor, worn clothes, commoners a fully ordinary one, and nobles some not-too-revealing, but otherwise elegant attire. I think it was country for street rats, student for commoners, and magician for nobles. Your biography choice was reflected in your looks… why scrap that?

Then came that Korean convention and it was all changed to acolyte. However, some ANet employees even chimed in over at GW2Guru, saying it was done only for the Asian market, and that the Acolyte was one of the rarer sets out there (perhaps higher-tier crafting). Personally, I like the female acolyte armor (I know in the minds of many that translates to “sex-maniac male swine”), but I wholeheartedly agree that it has no place as a starter armor – especially not for norn or sylvari.

For example look the basic apprentice light armor set. I initially considered creating a female elementalist but the female version of the starting armor turns into a micro skirt, bikini top and garter belt (of all things) which quickly put the thought out of my head.

That’s a garter only. If it was a garter belt, there would be suspenders attached, holding up a pair of stockings. Seriously, this game needs more stockings – there were plenty for mesmer attires in GW1. Only magician and masquerade have them, plus one armor that’s currently only wearable by NPCs (mesmer concept art image, Krytan noblewomen… even the Orrian zombie ladies have that set, so why can’t the players, too? >.<)

Edit: but even those don’t cover the feet for some odd reason. They end right on the ankles.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

(edited by Thalador.4218)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I find the new design ok. Some people act as if GW2 only has revealing female armors. You want full covered armors? There you go, knock yourself out…

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-dung-sorrow-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-dung-citadel-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-dung-crucible-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-legacy-heritage-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-stand-wornscale-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-stand-banded-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-stand-reinforced-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-stand-guild-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-karma-heavyplate-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-karma-dark-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-karma-temple-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-cult-1-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-cult-2-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-cult-3-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-dung-caudecus-female.jpg

http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-heavy-dung-twilight-female.jpg

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/e/ef/Aetherblade_Heavy_Armor_Skin_human_female_front.jpg

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/2/2e/2012_August_PrimevalArmorSkin.jpg

Of course, in case you didn’t know, you can always mix individual pieces to create a somewhat unique look.

Let’s face the facts here, shall we? Sex … sells. No attitude or movement of any kind will ever change this simple discovery. Never. The only thing that is legit here, is to expect some revealing stuff for males as well.

This right here…was going to post something similar.

There are PLENTY of non-revealing heavy armors in GW2.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

There might be some people that are saying there should be more non-revealing armor for female characters, but I think the male Phalanx heavy armor looks awesome and would love it on a female character. Nothing wrong with that.