Are the changes to Kessex Hills permanent?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Brow.9425

Brow.9425

They NEED to do the thing that WoW did which was very sucessful which is phasing so we can do both the old and new area and still give the living world feel.

No No No No … No No No No No No … No No No No.

In case you didn’t get the message. No.

Phasing is not a good thing.

Phasing did not work so well. Right up until cataclysm the icecrown citadel meeting stone was in a phased area. And it still was after. It was just a whole new set of bugs to not fix.

Rathan Kelet — Maguuma

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Without giving anything away, I will say that the Kessex Hills you’ll see in November (and December, and next year…) is not the same as the one we had last week.

Ok, then you’ll need to fix at least one heart… I can’t finish the one at the Moogooloo village. There are no more crabs (for meat), no more nets to destroy, no more villagers to rescue…

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Without giving anything away, I will say that the Kessex Hills you’ll see in November (and December, and next year…) is not the same as the one we had last week.

D:
Next year? How long will this Scarlet nonsense stick around for?!

looks like it is going to be permanent….

so, we can tell the future generation of GW2 players that once upon a time, on that side of the lake, there were trees…..

This is so sad.
At some point, Anet can just put a price (in gems!) on an expansion – complete new maps and the like, and stop fixing stuff that isn’t broken. I’m sure people would rather buy their precious gems for a worthy cause like that, than for what the LS has brought us.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

D:
Next year? How long will this Scarlet nonsense stick around for?!

I thought they said at some point not that long ago that Scarlet arc would be done by the end of the year (or at least her).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I’ll be pretty sad if Kessex Hills doesn’t return to its former glory. We have enough destroyed looking areas in the game. Kessex Hills was one of the (very few) places you could find fields of grassy rolling hills. Particularly the huge place north of the lake and south of the Queensdale zoneline.. that was one of my favorite locations to run through in the game and now it looks awful.

Take 10 steps of bandit-filled grass and then 10 steps of centaur-filled dirt, with a bit of centaur-filled grass mixed in. This describes everywhere in Kryta before this patch. It’s very tedious to complete these maps that look and feel exactly the same multiple times.

No. Maybe you can’t see the differences, but don’t assume everyone else hasn’t been paying attention to the virtual world around them.

The very green rolling hills that were showcased in Guild Wars 2’s trailer video at timestamp 2:13 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FjCehYrEbO0#t=133 ) now look like ruined crap. Did we really need more of that beyond Orr?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Kessex was a pretty zone and I’ll miss the view, but if the story ends up being fun (NO SCARLETT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD) than its a price well paid.

SBI

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Kessex was a pretty zone and I’ll miss the view, but if the story ends up being fun (NO SCARLETT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD) than its a price well paid.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it will definitely have Scarlet.

I will miss the zone also, it was a beautiful landscape. I think our only hope is that in the next few months updates will gradually return the landscape slowly back to how it was, keep your fingers crossed.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

I’ve always thought that Kessex Hills was one of the most beautiful zones in the game. It’s just so rugged and yet understated. Really top notch work. If y’all can keep the living world going while still allowing us to see some of that Kessex Hills looked like before the obelisk, that would be awesome.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m sure that the Krait Tower will stay, BUT that after we complete this latest phase, Kessex Hills will at least return to a semblance of its former beauty. Having the entire zone be permanently spore-choked and dark would just make lots of the DE’s and Hearts make little sense. (Why would the Seraph and Centaurs continue to war while there’s a poison factory spewing toxins into the air RIGHT NEXT TO THEM? Similarly, the Toxic Alliance is happily hacking up any bandits, Risen and other unfortunate creatures in the vicinity. I don’t know about you, but if I was a bandit, I’d be getting out of there post-haste.)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Kerushi.7609

Kerushi.7609

I really like KH, and thought it was a beautiful region. I also felt like it made a nice contrast to Orr. It really showed how corrupt Orr is.

I understand that they can’t really go back, but I wish that they would add a nice pretty region again to make up for the one that was destroyed. Maybe the area between Kessex and La?

~Shirin Shi (Silvari Necro)
TFG Os Northern Shiverpeaks

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

I already miss the old KH loading screen, with the giant stone woman in carved in the mountain eye-kittening the camera…

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

They NEED to do the thing that WoW did which was very sucessful which is phasing so we can do both the old and new area and still give the living world feel.

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No.

Care to explain why? I can understand the emphasizing of know but you took this too far and explained nothing. PERMANENT is the lesser of the 2 evils I am sorry. I rather not lose content. Phasing gives the option to do old content.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

so, we can tell the future generation of GW2 players that once upon a time, on that side of the lake, there were trees…..

Sounds liek some thing will be permanent, and others will not be.

Trees regrowing sounds like something that’ll return. Over time if not immediately. But the Toxic Alliance forces are likely to be greatly reduced (if not outright just turned to krait forces depending on how the plot goes).

-snip the nos-

Care to explain why? I can understand the emphasizing of know but you took this too far and explained nothing. PERMANENT is the lesser of the 2 evils I am sorry. I rather not lose content. Phasing gives the option to do old content.

It divides the playerbase a lot in a game where a lot of the zones are already fairly barren of players (mainly because all the players funnel to their zerging activities like Frostgorge and Queensdale, or enjoy running dungeons which are instanced). By phasing zones, you’re basically doubling every single zone there is, which drastically divides the playerbase.

Phasing has its good points – you can experience both new and old – but it has its bad points.

Furthermore, ArenaNet is after a “living breathing world” – phasing kind of defeats the purpose of that (as does temporary content but that’s something else), so phasing content would in fact be counteractive with ArenaNet’s intention and even the manifesto.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

I already miss the old KH loading screen, with the giant stone woman in carved in the mountain eye-kittening the camera…

Oh yeah… the view that doesn’t exist anywhere in Kessex Hills?

The obstacle is the path.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Phasing is somethign I think should exist only for new created characters that every character gets the chance to explore for the first time the zones in their original form and once you explored it to 100%, the zone will phase over to its actual design the next time you visit the zone through these kind of personal instances that work basically like introductions that something has happened that changed the looks of that zone …

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Give an inch and a mile will be demanded.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Long term changes to a zone like this are a good thing. Who knows, the living story might involve a “cleanup” effort in the future that will change it to something closer yet different than the original map, while not quite as corrupted as it is right now. That said, I do hope the map’s loading screen is reverted or changed. The current one is a bit bland…

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Why does a zone going “evil” always involve it becoming ugly as frick though? I guess I would have thought the Nightmare Court would be more likely to influence a garden of poisonous to the touch plants and colorful flowers with sharp painful barbs than dead and burned Orr-like desolation. I suppose that’s the Krait’s contribution, right?

Either way, it makes me not want to go to that zone or spend time doing much of anything there. There are more interesting ways to change a zone that don’t involve dark, grungy, dead “corruption”.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Please please please let there be a new story dungeon complete with 3 new explorable paths inside that obelisk.

Also there are plenty of pretty areas still left in the game. The north of Caledon Forest is still a stunning place to visit if you just feel like looking at something pretty.

Gandara

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Aerlen has a point. Still, if a story’s to have impact, it needs to affect things we care about. Kessex is one of my always-100% on all characters. So seeing it wrecked hits me harder than if, say, far north Ascalon areas got mangled.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Sounds good to be, it all hints that there will be a scar left but it won’t stay as is.

Hope they keep changing the world map like this, the current living story really shows they can do it without interfering with personal story or new players.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I like the idea of a ‘scar’, that is remnants of it having been there, once the event is over over.

Kessex Hills is a nice area to walk around, the way it looks now is foreboding which is great for the story, but in the long run just comes across as being morbid.

That’s why I’m glad that they moved the meta farms away from Orr and into starter areas and FGS. Those areas are much nicer to hang around.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s important to have places like Orr. But accessing an area like that should be more situational.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I hope it stays like that. Tyria is supposed to be a world at war, yet half the world looks like taking a trip down to your local park. I would like to feel that theirs danger lurking across every corner and dark plots brewing in every shadow.

They should do something about DR as well. Humans are a race which has been beaten, slaughtered and driven into a corner by the other races, yet DR, where we are making our last stand, reflects nothing of that. It should look like a fortress constantly under siege.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Frayta.4816

Frayta.4816

Will you guys at least change the loading screen back to what it used to be afterward?

The carvings depicted may not actually be shown, but the new one is ugly- and to my eyes, looks very lazy in comparison to the old one. (Which was very beautiful.)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

The tower will stay, the toxic spores will be gone and it will a ruined tower with green moss growing and maybe some damaged areas so that future travelers can see that at one point there was a major event here, but now it is peaceful and serene.

I think they will still be able to make it beautiful. We will obviously be able to clear the poison out and then what’s really left, a big ole tower in the middle of a lake.

It would be interesting to see if over time we can see saplings grow where the trees were previously, and then maybe a year or two down the line the trees will be back. I realize that’s fast for trees, but this is Tyria, trees grow super fast.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Abraxis Narghuul.3569

Abraxis Narghuul.3569

This new addition to the already fantastic game that is Guild Wars 2 is truly great! I am so happy that they have done this, Kessex Hills was just another green zone and boring… Now, it is dark, terrifying and ever so beautiful, Well Done guys!!! (Hope it’s permanent!)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

The thing that is important to me, is this zone now has life to it. It has been a dead zone for me for months. I can easily say the two Kryta zones I visit often was Queensdale and Gendarran Fields. Now I have a reason to go to Kessex Hills.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: KitOnlyHuman.6807

KitOnlyHuman.6807

Thank you very much. I prefer the fact that the living world will be actually living and changing around us! I love the idea of having the terrain shape and alter due to the wars that we take part in. There is time of famine and a time of prosperity, and they always have such effects on the world around us. =)

Kit
Lady Shade | Lydia Barakov | Tesse Centirum | Quote Nevermore| Axe Bloodclaw | Beta Zee

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Congrats, all of you, for being so self absorbed with your own level 80 boredom and need for shinies that you celebrate the destruction of a new player zone and the ability for a new player to ever see it for what it was.

This didn’t have to happen here. Why they made it happen here is beyond me.

This is not a living world. It is a predetermined event. Nothing any of us do will change the already scripted outcome. In a very short time, all of you will move on to the next AP farm patch and the destruction of this place will have been for nothing.

A couple of weeks of “content” that the bulk of you will do, leave, and never return again is not worth the tradeoff of this kind of zone destruction.

Disgusted beyond words.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Sugar.4582

Sugar.4582

My main problem with new kessex hills is while leveling a new char , now it takes far longer to complete 3 hearts in there .-. , since there’s almost no centaurs or bandits around , and the one underwater they didn’t use to reflect your stuff back at you. (did they?) o.o

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

My main problem with new kessex hills is while leveling a new char , now it takes far longer to complete 3 hearts in there .-. , since there’s almost no centaurs or bandits around , and the one underwater they didn’t use to reflect your stuff back at you. (did they?) o.o

Are the hearts doable at all right now? I can think of a few that don’t fit the new Kessex Hills at all.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

What ever happened to the calls for more permanent content? Be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Bawi.9541

Bawi.9541

Hate it.
It was one of my favorite zones, now it’s just another grey dark kittenty map. Oh, and a mindless zerg going on there. Can’t pretend I like one single thing about this change.

Ele / Guardian

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Bawi.9541

Bawi.9541

What ever happened to the calls for more permanent content? Be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

To me it’s like their retribution for asking for permanent content. Showing the community how kittenty their permanent new content is, so we’ll never ask again.

Then again this is prolly just me being sad this map is ‘gone’, so yeah :P

Ele / Guardian

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Sugar.4582

Sugar.4582

Are the hearts doable at all right now? I can think of a few that don’t fit the new Kessex Hills at all.

They are just take longer , both tamini camps are like desert except when they somehow win them , underwater heart near the village got harder because they reflect projectiles now (at least i don’t remember them doing so when i leveled my other characters) , and the one near the hylek camp has a nasty aoe poison if you get too close to tower.
One thing for certain , a new player would find these hearts too hard or not worth at all to finish.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: RyuuAkari.6589

RyuuAkari.6589

Reading that a a-net staff posting about this event lasting out through out November, December and Partly January seems pretty interesting. I mean when I watched the Live stream about this tower, it took them 4 months to develop this LS. I Figure that if it takes 4 months to develop this content and its going to last 3 months? It must has pretty heavy content. Like the stream about this tower, we’re currently trying to get known to these new alliance, also if you’ve tried to swim close to the tower we get poison damage that we cannot cure. It’s like the towers defence system till we know how to by pass that barrier. And who knows maybe we get to enter this mysterious tower? Maybe this tower will act like a dungeon with several levels? It really makes me curious and excited for the upcoming patches.

Oh, if you missed out the stream you can click on this link and it will show you everything they talked about. The Toxic Alliance Stream on Youtube

Welcome to the Void! Here we gaze back into the Mist. With Hope. And Desperation.

(edited by RyuuAkari.6589)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I really hope that it’s going to be a new dungeon. Really, really hope so. It gets boring to run the sane old ones after a whole year.

If they destroy the tower they should make a Wat for you to revisit the instances.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

they never said the hills would look like orr permanently, i think that just like seared ascalon, it’ll regrow and recover (hopefully a little quicker than ascalon)

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

If as much of this content remains as permanent as I suspect, then I am happy.

I doubt that much will remain permanent though, but I’m sure more permanence than previously will be abound.

I mean when I watched the Live stream about this tower, it took them 4 months to develop this LS. I Figure that if it takes 4 months to develop this content and its going to last 3 months? It must has pretty heavy content.

All of their LS chapters are given 4 months of development – at least from Queen’s Jubilee. They have 4 Living Story teams, 1 team per month (this started with Flame and Frost I believe, so those prior to Queen’s Jubilee may have gotten less than 4 months, resulting in the obviously lower quality content). If it’s “3 months” then you have mid October to December. So the first month was next to nothing (but still well done; it was properly “next to nothing” so don’t take this as a complaint lol).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.