Sylvari T3 medium - dyes are all wrong

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Newman.6847

Newman.6847

I was really happy with my look, after the patch my character looks really bad with the same dye setup. Was the way dyes work on this armor type changed intentionally, is this a bug? I’d really prefer if it was reverted to the way it was.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Marquie Thomas.1873

Marquie Thomas.1873

Do you have a before and after screen of how the dye looked

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Newman.6847

Newman.6847

Yup, here it is. No dyes were changed, I checked that the setup remained the same. Sylvari cultural armor used to have unique gradients and it took me some time to find a dye combo that worked for me. Now the best I can do is find something that isn’t a complete eyesore, but no combo I tried even puts me close to the old combo that I liked.

Before I could put in some red in the t3 medium coat, and it would be red at the ends and gradient towards a green/yellow hue that worked perfectly with the rest of the armor. Now it seems I can’t have gradients at all. If this was unintentional, fair enough, hoping for a quick fix, if not, bad decision imo. That armor had some unique possibilities regarding the colors that have been lost with this update. The flip side was that it was hard for some to find a good looking dye combo, but when you did it was worth it.. Now almost every red I try, even if it looks good on the preview, turns out being pink when applied.

Attachments:

(edited by Newman.6847)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Bleak.5796

Bleak.5796

noticed the same. especially the glowing part seems to be brighter now.. even my midnight ice which was really blackish before in the glow part, ‘shines’ in a dull dark blue now. also my dark glacial petrol seems to have lost its shades and stuff on the non-glowing part..

male sylvari over here btw so it’s not only female

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: ThePatak.6785

ThePatak.6785

Yup, here it is. No dyes were changed, I checked that the setup remained the same. Sylvari cultural armor used to have unique gradients and it took me some time to find a dye combo that worked for me. Now the best I can do is find something that isn’t a complete eyesore, but no combo I tried even puts me close to the old combo that I liked.

Before I could put in some red in the t3 medium coat, and it would be red at the ends and gradient towards a green/yellow hue that worked perfectly with the rest of the armor. Now it seems I can’t have gradients at all. If this was unintentional, fair enough, hoping for a quick fix, if not, bad decision imo. That armor had some unique possibilities regarding the colors that have been lost with this update. The flip side was that it was hard for some to find a good looking dye combo, but when you did it was worth it.. Now almost every red I try, even if it looks good on the preview, turns out being pink when applied.

Noticing your ears… is pink your glow color? This could be a possible fix to the lack of glow sylvari characters get in most armor. Otherwise I have no idea.

Bullkitten.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

My guess: the glow on armor has been changed to match the body glow rather than the skintone color of your character.

In your example, before: green skin = bright green glow on armor. Body glow is pink.

Now: green skintone and pink body glove are unchanged, but the result is a pink glow on the armor instead of a greenish one.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Late For Tea.1846

Late For Tea.1846

Noticed the same on T3 light, for females. The area for the 2nd and 3rd dye on the chest piece seem to have gotten bigger, and the green color of the leg piece is much brighter compared to the other pieces now.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Aurion.5126

Aurion.5126

I’m so upset about this. I made a sylvari thief and got the armor because I loved the little pouches on the waist, and how they were turquoise and orange. Now they both get dyed the same color as the leaves on the chest, which ends up making the pouches look just black lumps.

Why would you do this to existing armor sets? Players have bought the armor because they like it the way it is.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: CherryChiicake.1378

CherryChiicake.1378

Same problem with T2 heavy female! I had a touch of gold that would show up just a tiny bit on the torso and gloves, and when I opened her up today it looked like she’d spilled mustard on herself.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

The T3 medium armor color channels got a complete overhaul.

Now instead of giving different shades and combinations when using one dye it’s completely plain color.

See pictures for reference. (Both are using the same dye scheme.)

Before: http://i.imgur.com/6sdxazL.jpg

After: http://i.imgur.com/JgjchH3.jpg

This chance was completely unnecessary and needs to be reverted. The old dye system was infinitely better.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

The worst part is they havent even fixed the T3 mediums problem with the torso always being dark and virtually undyeable.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Failth.2935

Failth.2935

This is my before (left) and after (right)

I have the exact same dyes on the armor pieces on both pictures ON the same gear dye spots. (Ignore helm, shoulders & gloves. They are not T3)

As you can see on the boots & chest, the SAME dye looks completely different

Attachments:

Ranger till the day I die!
Desolation [TLA]

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

What has been changed is that the dye that affects the stripes in the t3 medium chest (female atleast) armor now affect the parts (visible in the middle of the chest) that were only affected by skin colour.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

Sylvari T2 Armor is also affected.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Shockwave.9345

Shockwave.9345

Revert this pls!

Before and after the patch:

Attachments:

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Alisoe.5083

Alisoe.5083

I have the same problem with light =/
They should change it back!

Attachments:

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

Guys if u go read the general forum there is a post by anet saying it was a attended change they forgot to update the patch notes.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This was an intended change as posted by the devs in another post. Previously the “glow” effect was tied into your skin color not your armor color. They have now fixed this. So that is why you are seeing changes. They have added extra dye channels to pieces to change the glow color. You just need to fiddle with it to get the glow of the right color now.

This change has been asked for repeatedly for the past year and they finally got around to it.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

Post from Kristen Perry in the general forums:

“Hi everyone,
Well it looks like my release notes weren’t added to explain this, so I’ll try to allay the confusion. Yes, some of the cultural armor has gone through some major updates. Folks have been vehemently requesting that the cultural armors glow, and they have been confused at the old glows that were there. This confusion was because a lot of the dye-to-skin blends on stems would glow the skin color, but not their chosen glow color.
In updating the armors, this comes with particular considerations. The armor glows are not on the same system as the body glow, so they will only glow the color of the area dyed. Armor glow also does not play well with alpha, so I have to avoid any alpha edges. The problem with this is most of those areas that look good glowing are also some of the areas that blend to skin. Armor glow also negates specularity.
So. What this means for you is, to add your glow, I reworked the dye channels to give you the largest choice and control possible over the glow. The areas that glow are now selectable for you. Some of the textures are also better balanced to give you more consistent results… you won’t have to guess what color you need to find to make the red feel red, for example. It will just work.
This currently affects Medium Tier 2 (legs will be re-addressed for better glow and dye alignment, sorry about that, it got past me) and Tier 3, Light Tier 1 (female only), and Light Tier 3. The other weights and tiers will be assessed for a similar pass to give glow or upgrade glow results when possible.
I’ve been hearing your cries to get more glow on the sylvari and am doing my best to give you more control over your character customization.”

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

(edited by Lindelle.3718)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Failth.2935

Failth.2935

This was an intended change as posted by the devs in another post. Previously the “glow” effect was tied into your skin color not your armor color. They have now fixed this. So that is why you are seeing changes. They have added extra dye channels to pieces to change the glow color. You just need to fiddle with it to get the glow of the right color now.

This change has been asked for repeatedly for the past year and they finally got around to it.

I can see the effect on my T3 legs. New dye channel added and that controls the glow – Looks really amazing! However my boots and chest LOST one dye slot and the dyes look completely different on those pieces now. It really looks so much worse

Ranger till the day I die!
Desolation [TLA]

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

I don’t like how my dye looks at all any more, I guess I’m going to have to try and find something that works, but right now it looks terrible! I think what a lot of us are missing is the subtlety there used to be, and a certain amount of gradient, now it looks a bit too bright, or just washed out. It feels like there is less detail.
Before is on the left.

Attachments:

(edited by SuLor.2840)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Inoence.6907

Inoence.6907

I don’t like how my dye looks at all any more, I guess I’m going to have to try and find something that works, but right now it looks terrible! I think what a lot of us are missing is the subtlety there used to be, and a certain amount of gradient, now it looks a bit too bright, or just washed out. It feels like there is less detail.
Before is on the left.

I have the exact same problem and I think my armor is now terribly ugly in the dye combinations I used before… (t3 light too)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Hopelessalchemist.4816

Hopelessalchemist.4816

Wah! I saw this post and checked on my ranger. She has tier 2 medium armor and I liked my color scheme I had. The chest was this lovely leafy shade of green that matched her skin tone in a way that made it look like it was a part of her. Now thanks to this patch, it has been changed to yellow! I liked the gold glow for her hair and the tint it added to her skin, but now I hate it! I’m not paying for a character customization kit just so I can change the glow color (I’ll learn to deal with it) but it is very annoying. I put so much time into the Harathi chain event to sell supply bags a few months back, just so I could get the armor when I hit 60.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

It’s just a different system. Change your dyes to something you like.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Desmond.5396

Desmond.5396

Great, my armor looks horrible now. And none of the dye combinations I make can fix it. :\

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: yami.9043

yami.9043

:( i’m really really really disappointed with the changes on my t3 armor… The colours just look totaly wrong only the glowing is somewhat cool… Anet please bring the old look of the colours back … you will make a sylvari extreamly happy

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Kingmutez.4931

Kingmutez.4931

• Some sylvari cultural armors have been upgraded to glow as was originally intended and has been highly requested. To give the most flexibility in the armor design, the dye masks have also been altered so that players will have more control over the results of the armor glow. This currently affects Medium Tier 2 (legs will be re-addressed for glow and dye alignment) and Tier 3, Light Tier 1 (female only), and Light Tier 3. The other weights and tiers will be assessed for a similar pass to give glow or upgrade glow results when possible.

~https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-October-29-2013/first#post3114570

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

And this is why Anet rarely changes existing items except for obvious fixes.

Some people have been asking for this type of change for a long time. More impact from dyes on Sylvari cultural (as opposed to taking it from skin tone), as well as glow customization. But obviously some people were just fine with the way it was and dislike the new appearance. Unfortunately, there’s little way to please both groups (short of making 2 separate sets of armor or something).

Personally… I dunno. I don’t have any of the affected sets so I can’t really see it in person, but I like the idea of customizable glow certainly. On the other hand, the screenshots that have been posted make the armors look a lot “flatter”, less shine and less texture, more matte and bland. Which is not so great. I also actually liked the armor taking the skin color into account, it made it feel more organic and unique.

(edited by Electro.4173)