Whats with the Scarlet has to go hate?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

I dont get this. Scarlet has been a major and decent villian ingame for a while now.
But most of the player base wants to see her get killed of or either just be ignored.
Sure i’d rather see an elder dragon awaken but if its going to be another shoot the canons at zaithan fight I prefer they wait until they are able to make it a decent encounter.

Scarlet on the other had gave us decent content with interesting enemies and more.
so whatsupp with this scarlet needs to die , its like trahearne all over again -_-

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Denovean.2785

Denovean.2785

Simple. She’s a boring antagonist.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

I don’t know what your definition of decent is, she’s just kind of there, and as a Guild Wars 1 player, I will not accept any terms that say she is at all a worthwhile villian.

EDIT: i never really understood the Trahearne hate to begin with. I can understand similarities between him and kormir, but at the same time, the backgrounds were not comparable at all, Trahearne is perfectly qualified and, while not seen, it’s more than just heavily implied he’s earned that; not like he just went off and poked at a locked away gods magic construct thing.

(edited by A Massive Headache.1879)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Because she’s not a decent villain, she’s a cardboard cutout with bad VA work….

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

I don’t know what your definition of decent is, she’s just kind of there, and as a Guild Wars 1 player, I will not accept any terms that say she is at all a worthwhile villian.

EDIT: i never really understood the Trahearne hate to begin with. I can understand similarities between him and kormir, but at the same time, the backgrounds were not comparable at all, Trahearne is perfectly qualified and, while not seen, it’s more than just heavily implied he’s earned that; not like he just went off and poked at a locked away gods magic construct thing.

people hate trahearne because he’s even more useless than a pile of wet firewood, he will constantly steal your credit and others ideas, while dieing to a common chicken as a legendary Npc,
he’s like magister tassi from the second part of the halloween story where you have to re seal the mad kings son, but for the entire story.

in Tower of Nightmares

A Massive Headache.1879

people hate trahearne because he’s even more useless than a pile of wet firewood, he will constantly steal your credit and others ideas, while dieing to a common chicken as a legendary Npc,
he’s like magister tassi from the second part of the halloween story where you have to re seal the mad kings son, but for the entire story.

But that’s not really true, if you look at the entire game, there is only a single npc I can think of who is worth a kitten , that one woman who can solo that one champion centaur, but if you read what they said about Trehearne, he actually earned his position.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Greek.4396

Greek.4396

Personally for me I was really interested with the lore and mystery of what goes on beneath the waters : P And I really want to learn more about the dragons.

It feels like Scarlet is a giant episode filler for the plot which I don’t really like and wish she was done with so the story can move on : [

Server – Blackgate | Rev Main
Main Guild – oPP/RIOT/yumy(Booty Bakery)
IGN- Greek Kenpachi | Champion Ritualist

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

But that’s not really true, if you look at the entire game, there is only a single npc I can think of who is worth a kitten , that one woman who can solo that one champion centaur, but if you read what they said about Trehearne, he actually earned his position.

Off-topic, but who’s she and who’s the centaur? o.O Never heard about this before.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

I dont get this. Scarlet has been a major and decent villian ingame for a while now.
But most of the player base wants to see her get killed of or either just be ignored.
Sure i’d rather see an elder dragon awaken but if its going to be another shoot the canons at zaithan fight I prefer they wait until they are able to make it a decent encounter.

Scarlet on the other had gave us decent content with interesting enemies and more.
so whatsupp with this scarlet needs to die , its like trahearne all over again -_-

Because she is a lore destroying Mary Sue who’s less menacing than Team Rocket with all the motivation and explanation of “a wizard did it”.
Which at this point would be a better option.
EDIT: Traehearne is somehow better than Scarlet. Let that sink in.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Tower of Nightmares

A Massive Headache.1879

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aria_Venom
low level thing, but I guess she was made for a make a wish foundation, so I guess that explains why she’s so strong. I’ve done that event a few times

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

low level thing, but I guess she was made for a make a wish foundation, so I guess that explains why she’s so strong. I’ve done that event a few times

I’ve done it many times as well, but I was so vehemently fighting to save the merchants and execute Draithor the most painful way possible for all his crimes that I never noticed Aria could actually kill him alone.

I’ll check it out once.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

I guess Scarlet is like that one terrible episode of every show, that authors had no good ideas about and just filmed it because they had to film something, and in the end it’s just a mess of plots making little to no sense, and attempting to be funny without success.

Compared to any other villain in GW, she just look like a red headed stepchild, figuratively.
Hell, even HoboTron has better backstory (Read: Appeared as a Job O Tron, and there are other similar golems in game…), motivation (After the Southsun fiasco, his “carrier” ended and he had to get by), and interactions (with the mistrell for example) than Scarlet.

Hell, Hobo Tron’s story motivation and conflicts are better simply because THEY EXIST, while Scarlet’s don’t.

At least I can’t think of any in game data telling me the character triad – past/motivation/conflict, which are essential for any character to exist within a book, game, or a movie. I don’t count the hastily written story placed on the website post factum, of course.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

It’s not all of the player base. Just a high amount of the forum warriors. I personally think Scarlet is a fine villain.

People weren’t complaining when they got their Scarlet gift after the start of the invasions. I actually remember coming on the forums and seeing a lot of kudos for it.

Just a few short months later and people are already set to move on and not let the storyline breathe.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Tower of Nightmares

A Massive Headache.1879

The scarlet explosion gift was pretty funny actually. the first time, but no need to send one to every single character on my account.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

The scarlet explosion gift was pretty funny actually. the first time, but no need to send one to every single character on my account.

i like how all my characters have one, never know when you need to blow yourself up…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

It woulda been pretty dark if anet doomed her character to die over and over again…

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Because she’s got an extremely annoying personality, a villian-sue backstory that comes from nowhere, marginalizes previous characters buy it’s overpoweredness & is once again another “The Sylvari are soooo awesome” character & we’re getting sick of it. She’s not menacing, she’s not cool, she’s not funny & expecting me to believe that idiot could marshal an army of all those groups is laughable, based on her personality alone.

The problem with many of these kinds of characters is that they use lore to try to hide an annoying character. Many teenage Lore-hounds buy it. She’ll talk like an idiot with teenager “i’m my own person!” motivations & dime-store “crazy zaniness” & then they try to make me accept it by writing as story that gives her powers that are supposed to maker her substantial. They just make her frustrating. There is nothing more irritating than making a character whose personality sucks have lots of power & insight. it’s like coating poop with cinnamon. The core is still poop.

This talk about “let’s wait & see what the story tells us” completely ignore the fact that her personality is annoying & stupid. You can’t change that by trying to “explain” everything. In fact, if I have to wait for an explanation to enjoy a character, something is wrong. They should work regardless. knowing why she’s annoying doesn’t make her not annoying. If she is made to be an annoying, over-powered brat then congrats, she’s a success and I hate having to play anything she’s connected to. THAT’S what they want?

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in Tower of Nightmares

Lostwingman.5034

I like how I made a new character this week, and got sent a gift.
Wat.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I actually think she’s a decent villain but has just had her story told poorly. You have to hunt online for her bio and each new chapter comes crawling out slowly. Just poor execution.

Also, the game began with a minor hero (us) overcoming our personal quests and then progressing onto pulling the Pact together to take on a dragon. After that, a single clever sylvari is just going to feel like a nuisance. We’ve been reduced to beat cops. I’d like to get back to saving the world from dragons and the epic lore that Guild Wars brought us. No matter how clever Scarlet is, it just seems lame compared to stories of undead armies, fallen gods, dragons, and titans.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

No matter how clever Scarlet is, it just seems lame compared to stories of undead armies, fallen gods, dragons, and titans.

honestly I think she’s marginalized much of that. The idea that a plant lady could see & comprehend the Eternal Alchemy, even part of it (& no, I don’t take any of the recent retractions as anything other than damage control. She obviously couldn’t do anything she did without some deus-ex going on ) & somehow be amazing at everything & act i’m-the-cool-kind-of-crazy is so lame. And even if they did give a reasonable explanation, she’s still be an annoying person. They are going to have to pull another deus-ex with the Mursaat if they want them to seem even remotely important now. So they’ve kind of screwed themselves.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

I will tell you the same reason that I have been saying for both Trahearne and Scarlet why I dislike them, they are both more scholarly types with knowledge in specific areas who would make great advisors or researcher ect in those areas, yet they are placed in the role of a commander of which neither one has any experience and they do abysmal jobs at it huge wastes of life, have you seen orr, there is no front line it is a scattered bunch of semi fortified position that form no front line from which to push forward or fall back to. Did you see scarlets invasions? these were even worse then Trahearne’s tactics. “hmm maybe if I send in enough troops and have them land on my enemies weapons we will dull their blades or they may just get bored and give up…”

edit: also I never had a problem with Kormir

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

in Tower of Nightmares

A Massive Headache.1879

I will tell you the same reason that I have been saying for both Trahearne and Scarlet why I dislike them, they are both more scholarly types with knowledge in specific areas who would make great advisors or researcher ect in those areas, yet they are placed in the role of a commander of which neither one has any experience and they do abysmal jobs at it huge wastes of life, have you seen orr, there is no front line it is a scattered bunch of semi fortified position that form no front line from which to push forward or fall back to. Did you see scarlets invasions? these were even worse then Trahearne’s tactics. “hmm maybe if I send in enough troops and have them land on my enemies weapons we will dull their blades or they may just get bored and give up…”

Uhhhh, orr is still pre-zhaitan’s death, Trahearne is incredibly qualified for combating zhaitans minions, he’s studied them all his life. Scarlet was explained as an all around genius of all things.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

“Well, then who did seal this “Edrick” back into the reliquary!?" Demanded the researcher.

“It—One Magister Tassi—”

The researcher grinned at that. Asura supremacy at it’s finest. “…And?”

“The list goes on, Kaxx. In fact, this tablet is just a shard that came off of one of the walls. All of those inscriptions are single individuals that put the Mad King’s son back in his box.”

The researcher’s eyes widened. “How can we possibly keep track of all of them, which one helped the most, who actually—”

“All of them are the Pact Commander!”

“WHAT!?”

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: narrock.6890

narrock.6890

I haven’t had a single issue with, Kormir, Traherne, or Scarlet it must just be because I’m not picky and I’m intelligent enough to know a story where EVERY PLAYER becomes the leader of the same organization or a god is just flat out stupid…

oh look its the games white knights in full effect
MARY SUE CHARACTERS ARE MORE STUPID get off your high horse and dehumanizing all who disagree with your opinion no, not opinion Scaelet Treahern and Kormir are objectively bad.

(edited by narrock.6890)

in Tower of Nightmares

Infamous Darkness.3284

combating/finding different ways to destroy Zhaitan and his minions is worlds apart from leading an army against those minions for Trahearne.

No scarlet isn’t shown as a genius of everything/all knowing, her short story shows that she learns some blacksmithing(norn), Sniper/demolition(charr), Alchemy(hylek), dynamics =the branch of mechanics concerned with the motion of bodies under the action of forces. Synergetics = is the empirical study of systems in transformation, with an emphasis on total system behavior unpredicted by the behavior of any isolated components, including humanity’s role as both participant and observer. Statics=the branch of mechanics concerned with bodies at rest and forces in equilibrium. (Asura)These all set her up to be a great engineer, and while you may be able to argue that synergetics could help in combat it most certainly does not make her a competent general, so far her tactics in the invasions were less effective then Zap Brannigan in his fight against the kill bots. Sniping and demolition could also prove incredibly useful to her…but these tactics are not used by her in any large scale invasion (I suppose other than the crown pavilion where she was wielding what looked to be a sniper rifle but I don’t believe she hit anything)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Ona Demonie.7401

Ona Demonie.7401

At first, I like Scarlet. I was super immersed in trying to kill her during the invasion, but over time, I found her annoying. She reminds of me a 14-year old Roleplayer who “masters all the crafts”, “smartest of her class”, “super powerful”, etc., and has annoying catchphrases. She was great in the mini-dungeon in Crown Pavilion! But, now? I find her annoying and I want to move on. Bazaar of the Four Winds was so much fun, and I hope ArenaNet puts out more Living Stories similar to it.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Because she’s the main antagonist of a side-quest that will be ridiculously convoluted if connected with the main story, and a forgotten waste of time if not.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

The main problem is that she isn’t a threat, or at least she doesn’t seem like one. She doesn’t have a purpose, she isn’t doing anything which feels like it actually needs anyone other than the local crime fighters to bother with. We’re here to save the world from the all powerful Elder Dragons, not act Batman to her Joker.

Speaking of which, that’s another reason, because she took the entire plot if the game away from its main focus, the dragons. In other words, we want dragons, not a pesky 15 yo brat bent on making everyone shake their fists at her.

in Tower of Nightmares

Durzlla.6295

I haven’t had a single issue with, Kormir, Traherne, or Scarlet it must just be because I’m not picky and I’m intelligent enough to know a story where EVERY PLAYER becomes the leader of the same organization or a god is just flat out stupid…

oh look its the games white knights in full effect
MARY SUE CHARACTERS ARE MORE STUPID get off your high horse and dehumanizing all who disagree with your opinion no, not opinion Scaelet Treahern and Kormir are objectively bad.

Did you really just call me a white knight? I’m hardly even a contestant for that title… And calling someone stupid isn’t “dehumanizing”, let me guess, you’re mad at Kormir because in game mechanics she didn’t do anything (to prevent having a Rurik or master To Go in nightfall), and because you wanted to be a god. Let me guess you ALSO wanted to be a councilman (god what a boring position that’d be) and a commander of the pact?

Scarlet isn’t that bad, I actually like that she didn’t pull the stereotypical, give huge monologue about why she’s doing everything she is and explain in explicit details how she’s doing it, like all of you seem to want from her.

We don’t know her motive, so what? As long as it’s learned I’m fine with it, and let’s be honest, as soon as we find out HOW scarlet is getting the races together and all that kitten she’s as good as dead, as others have said, she’s a scholar and it’s apparent. Her tactics are horrible, her actual fighting abilities are mediocre at best, all she has is numbers and surprise, once one of those is lost we’ve won.

in Tower of Nightmares

Lostwingman.5034

Traehearne always struck me as a figurehead and advisor.
The ones coming up with the actual plans and doing the legwork were the various orders. Who then went to Trahearne. Trahearne, not being terribly experienced in this would leave it to you, who’s been adventuring, working with the orders, and doing a lot of fighting, to decide. I get a lot of the hate on Trahearne is because he features prominently in the “personal story” but I think the devs probably either ran out of time or ran out of resources to adequately divide the “personal story” and what is essentially a “campaign” after the order segment.

(edited by Lostwingman.5034)

in Tower of Nightmares

Lostwingman.5034

Scarlet isn’t that bad, I actually like that she didn’t pull the stereotypical, give huge monologue about why she’s doing everything she is and explain in explicit details how she’s doing it, like all of you seem to want from her.

I don’t think most people are looking for a Bond-villianesque monologue describing their entire plan. In addition we have seen enough of her background now to get a feel for her motives and frankly it’s uninspiring. It feels no more complex or threatening than a rebellious teenager mad at mommy.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

This game has a lot of potential to make REALLY scary stuff come to life.
Antagonists should be scary – they should be something I want to fight because there’s no other way. Because I want to – because I HAVE to.

Scarlet? I’d rather just ignore her. She’s childish and just plain. Never did I once feel any threat from this particular vilan.
Remember Urgoz? Dhuum? Those were scary. Why can’t we have that back?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Tower of Nightmares

Infamous Darkness.3284

I think he would have definitely like to stayed a scholar or more of an advisor, but he was the commander of the pact being unable to make critical tactical decisions and assigning that decision making process to your second in command is bad, it would be good to ask opinions and get multiple ideas of the best way to proceed with this campaign but ultimately the last word/final decision came down to him.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Compare Scarlet to Mad King Thorn and you’ll easily notice why the Mad King, even though he only gets a fraction of the attention of Scarlet, is a much better villan in just about every way. He’s even got more lore.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Tower of Nightmares

Durzlla.6295

Compare Scarlet to Mad King Thorn and you’ll easily notice why the Mad King, even though he only gets a fraction of the attention of Scarlet, is a much better villan in just about every way. He’s even got more lore.

It’s because all of his murders are punch lines!! Hilariously awful punch lines…

in Tower of Nightmares

narrock.6890

calling someone stupid isn’t “dehumanizing”,

yes it is

let me guess, you’re mad at Kormir because in game mechanics she didn’t do anything (to prevent having a Rurik or master To Go in nightfall), and because you wanted to be a god. Let me guess you ALSO wanted to be a councilman (god what a boring position that’d be) and a commander of the pact?

no i would rather the person in charge and, the one getting god hood were not god awful “Characters” who come out of field with little back story take credit for all I do and have bad voice actors who cant convey a single emotion.
also nice of you to assume that i think like that and start insulting me(sarcasm)

Scarlet isn’t that bad, I actually like that she didn’t pull the stereotypical

ill stop you right there she is a stereotype no scratch that she is worse a rip off of Harley quin with zero hint of any motivation out side “LOL ME EVIL” all the wile anet destroys already established lore to shove her in to make her look more “cool” it comes as lazy writing and, it needs to be stopped.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

I like Scarlet.

But I find people excuses for hating her are the following:
-They dislike jovial villains
-They do not fully understand the storyline
-People are bitter about not completing the clockwork storyline
-They call her a plain “Sue” (the laziest of insults, considering she killed LA council members for fun and tried to cook and eat a grown man, but whatever.)
-Some do not like Sylvari
-The most reasonable of the excuses is that the players do not like her to be only mastermind for most of the actions in Tyria. (This I can totally understand).

I think there are a number of ways to remedy this for all pro and anti Scarlet arguments…

Arena-Net needs to make more villains.

simple.

in Tower of Nightmares

A Massive Headache.1879

yes it is

let me guess, you’re mad at Kormir because in game mechanics she didn’t do anything (to prevent having a Rurik or master To Go in nightfall), and because you wanted to be a god. Let me guess you ALSO wanted to be a councilman (god what a boring position that’d be) and a commander of the pact?

no i would rather the person in charge and, the one getting god hood were not god awful “Characters” who come out of field with little back story take credit for all I do and have bad voice actors who cant convey a single emotion.
also nice of you to assume that i think like that and start insulting me(sarcasm)

ill stop you right there she is a stereotype no scratch that she is worse a rip off of Harley quin with zero hint of any motivation out side “LOL ME EVIL” all the wile anet destroys already established lore to shove her in to make her look more “cool” it comes as lazy writing and, it needs to be stopped.

Actually Trahearne and Kormir both had plenty of back story, you must not have paid attention. Trahearne knows how to fight dragon minions, maybe not himself, but to lead a fight, yeah. Kormir lead the sunspears, and while she may have triggered the one thing, the gods chose her, so tough luck. I’ll give you scarlet is poorly written, but that’s about as far as it goes.

EDIT: and the more the give the Mad King Thorn lore, the more he becomes a character who’s simply “lol, i’m crazy, lol i’m evil” but people still love him

(edited by A Massive Headache.1879)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Zelkovan.2630

Zelkovan.2630

The main reason why not many people enjoy Scarlet (myself included) is because we know so little about her when she apparently has done so much.

She has created two organizations (Molten Alliance and Aetherblades) but we have NO idea why she did it. Many are also frustrated because it took us months to figure out who formed these organizations-yet we still don’t know why they were created or what their purpose is/was. From the players perspective, she is a character that seemed to pop out of no where and does stuff for giggles. We know very little about her backstory and she doesn’t appear to be such the big threat she is since we thwart her every time and because everything she does is so random (Starts MA, then aetherblades, tries to get Mai on the Captains Council, attacks zephyrites, attacks the Queen in the Queen’s Jubilee). Notice how out of all of what I said in parenthesis right there, only one of them we know why she did it (Queen’s Jubilee-she wanted to prove humans weren’t “all that”).

To add further insult to injury, she seems to just ignore the previous lore from Guild Wars. She unites two races that rarely ally with others (which we, once again, still don’t know how or why). She also seems involved in allying the Krait (another xenophobic race) with the Nightmare Court (although this is to be seen-no one knows yet), which if it does, goes against even more lore.

Wanna know what would have been, IMO, a much better way to introduce her as a main villain? Instead of kicking off the LS with Flame and frost, we could have helped Trahearne cleanse Orr in the following months of F&F. In those months we could have been introduced to Mary Sue/Scarlet (who was sane then) who wasn’t really sure what her purpose was and simply went along to see if she could find what she wanted. You become allies as you cleanse Orr w/ Trahearne as the months go by, you learn more about her and her complexion about not wanting to really have someone decide her destiny (her Pale Tree complex). However, during the cleansing, she slowly over time gets corrupted (without you knowing-the story gives slight hints at these things from her dialogue). Then, perhaps, she saves you from a hoard of undead in a final push to cleanse Orr-making you think she dies or alternitavely you cleanse Orr in one final battle and she leaves.

THEN the LS kicks off with MA and all the stuff we have had so far. Imagine what our reactions would be when we discover Mary Sue, who we befriended in the cleansing of Orr, suddenly turns up all crazy and behind all the recent events? How the reason why she went nuts is perhaps Mordremoth or some of Orr’s corruption rubbed off on her, causing her complex about the Pale tree to go to a whole new extreme? IDK about you guys, but that would be a complete twist on my emotions and I would probably care a lot more than I do now.

In general, its not that we dislike her personality/characters, it’s just she was kind of shoved in our faces for no rhyme or reason, from what it appears to be simply for the fact of “plot”. I know devs said that in the few coming months we will learn about her, but it shouldn’t take 5-7 months to do so =/.
Sorry for the long post btw, I got carried away =P

in Tower of Nightmares

narrock.6890

yes it is

Actually Trahearne and Kormir both had plenty of back story, you must not have paid attention. Trahearne knows how to fight dragon minions, maybe not himself, but to lead a fight, yeah. Kormir lead the sunspears, and while she may have triggered the one thing, the gods chose her, so tough luck. I’ll give you scarlet is poorly written, but that’s about as far as it goes.

EDIT: and the more the give the Mad King Thorn lore, the more he becomes a character who’s simply “lol, i’m crazy, lol i’m evil” but people still love him

ok may be wrong about kormir but treahern is still a left field nobody just being told in a single line “yea i was in Orr allot” is not a back story AT ALL the point stands its just the same as some random guy coming out and saying he was a forgeten god/prince who ruled a kingdom is the best at what he does and beat all 5 dragons back alone its lazy writing just telling me YEA THIS GUY IS AWESOME is not back story .

in Tower of Nightmares

Durzlla.6295

yes it is

ok may be wrong about kormir but treahern is still a left field nobody just being told in a single line “yea i was in Orr allot” is not a back story AT ALL the point stands its just the same as some random guy coming out and saying he was a forgeten god/prince who ruled a kingdom is the best at what he does and beat all 5 dragons back alone its lazy writing just telling me YEA THIS GUY IS AWESOME is not back story .

You clearly didn’t level a sylvari, Traherne is with your character progressing as you do since lv 10, he’s got tons of development, and backstory, I have yet to do the sylvari story over the mirror (I was told it’s “act with wisdom but act”) but I hear it gives a lot into what he’s actually done -in- Orr.

Just because you didn’t witness any development and he was out of left field for you doesn’t mean he has nothing, granted I do think he should’ve been handled better for the other races. Because for my human and asura when you get to claw island he’s essentially like “sup bro, I’m going to kittening stalk you now.”

in Tower of Nightmares

narrock.6890

yes it is

You clearly didn’t level a sylvari, Traherne is with your character progressing as you do since lv 10, he’s got tons of development, and backstory, I have yet to do the sylvari story over the mirror (I was told it’s “act with wisdom but act”) but I hear it gives a lot into what he’s actually done -in- Orr.

Just because you didn’t witness any development and he was out of left field for you doesn’t mean he has nothing, granted I do think he should’ve been handled better for the other races. Because for my human and asura when you get to claw island he’s essentially like “sup bro, I’m going to kittening stalk you now.”

what development? is EXACTLY THE SAME just him saying “i was in Orr allot bro” again, in fact i makes claw island worse because when you see him there its like he never met you before asking who you are.
your grasping some thin straws here

Note:lets get back on topic of how scarlet sue needs to be removed to better the games living story.

(edited by narrock.6890)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Wanna know what would have been, IMO, a much better way to introduce her as a main villain? Instead of kicking off the LS with Flame and frost, we could have helped Trahearne cleanse Orr in the following months of F&F. In those months we could have been introduced to Mary Sue/Scarlet (who was sane then) who wasn’t really sure what her purpose was and simply went along to see if she could find what she wanted. You become allies as you cleanse Orr w/ Trahearne as the months go by, you learn more about her and her complexion about not wanting to really have someone decide her destiny (her Pale Tree complex). However, during the cleansing, she slowly over time gets corrupted (without you knowing-the story gives slight hints at these things from her dialogue). Then, perhaps, she saves you from a hoard of undead in a final push to cleanse Orr-making you think she dies or alternitavely you cleanse Orr in one final battle and she leaves.

THEN the LS kicks off with MA and all the stuff we have had so far. Imagine what our reactions would be when we discover Mary Sue, who we befriended in the cleansing of Orr, suddenly turns up all crazy and behind all the recent events? How the reason why she went nuts is perhaps Mordremoth or some of Orr’s corruption rubbed off on her, causing her complex about the Pale tree to go to a whole new extreme? IDK about you guys, but that would be a complete twist on my emotions and I would probably care a lot more than I do now.

I would have loved it it if thats what happened, instead we get a crazy Sylvari that pops out of nowhere and somehow gets former xenophobic races to work together.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

She’s not a “decent” villain. Everything she’s done that we’ve put a stop to doesn’t make me feel like I’ve accomplished anything or that I really feel like I want or need to stop her. I don’t dislike her in-game, I don’t even care about her. What I do dislike is this boring villain IS currently the main villain in the game.

I find her development is lacking, her dialogue childish, I find all the unanswered questions frustrating – how has she funded this army? where do the countless numbers of pirates come from? how have they kept their presence hidden (even massive bases built IN lions arch)? how did she manage to get races that would normally kill her on sight work together for her? How did she convince all these mentors to train her when they normally guard their secrets from outsiders? Is there some connection between her and the steamcreatures? Why attack Divinities reach and not the Pale tree? Why was there no mention of this Scarlet before her arrival, she was obviously a genius but not even one murmur? Where or how did get these powers to spout red vines from her?

there is no development just unanswered questions, and a whole lot of questions is NOT development, answering one while taking its story further with another question IS.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Copied from a post I made elsewhere (but I feel it’s relevant):

She is a fail because they did not develop her character. They instead threw her into our faces and said, “LOOK! She’s DANGEROUS!” IMO, the only chapter of the LS that impressed me in any way was F&F. Maybe it was a bit too drawn out (to be sure) with a lot of filler quests but it was interesting and mattered in the game’s lore. We HAD run into Flame Legion before. We HAD encountered the Dredge. Both of these groups had reason to ally. They were weak after their recent losses of leadership. The tenuous, necessity driven nature of their alliance even showed. This WAS already a cool story. Saying “Scarlet did it” only cheapened the whole affair.
Southsun was also a pretty long chain. The story with the settlers and the consortium was believable and potentially interesting. It actually showed that F&F affected the world. People were displaced and lost their homes! They needed a cheap place to live and a company tried to use this to further their ends! This is realistic stuff lol! The consortium were not evil but they certainly cut all the costs they could to make more money. Cannach wasn’t evil either but just furious with the Consortium. Everything he did, he did to harm them (and it ultimately put a lot of people in harm’s way). These stories were believable though.
You don’t need to tie all of this to one central, forced, kittenty villain. They did this…and people didn’t believe it. No one bought that Scarlet was behind all of the LS so far. So what did they do? They wrote a garbage post about how OP she was and how she learned everything ever and could do anything she wanted. That’s NOT how you write a villain. A villain develops and has a reason for everything they do. If you write it well and plan it out, you can drop little hints here and there so it will actually be something people are excited to hear about.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

No scarlet isn’t shown as a genius of everything/all knowing, her short story shows that she learns some blacksmithing(norn), Sniper/demolition(charr), Alchemy(hylek), dynamics =the branch of mechanics concerned with the motion of bodies under the action of forces. Synergetics = is the empirical study of systems in transformation, with an emphasis on total system behavior unpredicted by the behavior of any isolated components, including humanity’s role as both participant and observer. Statics=the branch of mechanics concerned with bodies at rest and forces in equilibrium.

I like it how you say Scarlet isn’t shown as a genius of everything, then go on to point out all the knowledge she’s learnt from the leaders in each field of study, who happen to be from a particular race that also excels in that field.

And she learnt them all. Yeah, scarlet is no Mary-Sue. /sarcasm.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Seems like half the people who hate Scarlet do so because Anet poorly introduced her. She appeared suddenly, we had no previous knowledge of her, and we had to hunt online for her backstory. That’s not a flaw of the character, but of the devs for bad storytelling. She’s an intelligent villain, with a clear goal, psychotic, infuential, far reaching, and brazen. She’s far from vanilla. There are only so many ideas out there, and crafting a new villain is bound to create similarities with villains from other places (Harley Quinn, Moriarty, etc). But that alone doesn’t make her a Villain Sue kitten many people call her. I think Scarlet is a fine villain, just that Anet’s portrayal of her and storytelling need work. Also, she’s one sylvari vs. an elder dragon and its minions…you can see where we’d feel let down. It seems our roles as heroes has taken a step backwards. Her villainous work needs to come to fruition soon or we’re going to sail to Cantha ourselves for a decent fight.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Seems like half the people who hate Scarlet do so because Anet poorly introduced her. She appeared suddenly, we had no previous knowledge of her, and we had to hunt online for her backstory. That’s not a flaw of the character, but of the devs for bad storytelling.

It’s a flaw in the character, created by the devs through bad storytelling.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Scarlet’s character is about as deep as a teaspoon. ArenaNet may as well have just thrown in the Wicked Witch from Wizard of Oz. At least then, nostalgia could shroud our better judgment.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

She breaks the Guild Wars lore, read up on the lore forums to find all the points as their is quite a bit to it. Racial relations, being a master of everything everything exceptionally fast, etcetera, etcetera.

Her character is essentially spackling paste, she is applied to fill the holes in the living story when needed.

Her `crazy´ personality is not truly horrendous, but the fact that her decisions, actions and intentions make little no sense means that we players can not relate with her or at the bare least understand.

She is boring because nothing has any real impact, a Scarlet story is here one moment and gone the next. Her threats mean nothing and the effects of her presence in the world is negligible making people feel quite ambivalent towards her. The character is quite shallow in the game, Arena Net may have a well planned out history for her and even some back story on the website, but none of this has transferred ingame and what is seen in game is the only thing that matters.

Sylvari may not be overused quite yet and people may still be bitter about Trahearne stealing away the later parts of the personal story. But her being Sylvari is still an issue, lets face it if Scarlet was an mentally unstable Asura (Not a unique concept) people would have been much more likely to accept her as being the unimaginable genius that she is meant to be. Picking a Sylvari, the emotionally stunted wooden (As in tedious) race they are, might not have been the best choice.

She was introduced as being the main characters personal nemesis, this failed partly due to being hyped as being better than was it was. She has little connection to our main characters and even her actions affect us only slightly. Queen Jennah who she tried to assassinate, the Lionguard who she consistently crosses, Caithe who she has direct issues with, even Lord Faren who she tried to cook alive, all legitimately have personal issues with her. Our characters do not, beyond the odd skirmish where she runs away and an explosive present she left us in the mail. The only thing she does succeed at is being a nemesis, because she is unbeatable, I would be too if I had her teleport to safety when on zero health skill.

Is Scarlet a well-made and memorable antagonist? No.
Is she the best Guild Wars has offered to date? Not by a long shot.

A few people do like her, but their is no accounting for taste.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”