Why does ANet like CC so much?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Cymric.7368

Cymric.7368

Q:

I hardly do pve stuff anymore and the Tower of nightmares reminded me why. Fighting the mobs in the tower solo and I get immobilized, daze, knock back again again and again.

I actually think its good to have some cc, make the skills “stand your ground” and “save yourselves” on my bar valuable. But when these skills are on CD and mobs still have enough skills to chain cc me, that just too annoying. Sure, my guardian is tanky enough to take the damage, survive and kill the mobs, but that experience isn’t enjoyable at all.

I don’t understand. Don’t ANet know that removing the control of a character from the player too often = Bad? This should be basic game design knowledge. Please enlighten me, why does ANet like CC so much?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Madora.9340

Madora.9340

I hardly do pve stuff anymore and the Tower of nightmares reminded me why. Fighting the mobs in the tower solo and I get immobilized, daze, knock back again again and again.

I actually think its good to have some cc, make the skills “stand your ground” and “save yourselves” on my bar valuable. But when these skills are on CD and mobs still have enough skills to chain cc me, that just too annoying. Sure, my guardian is tanky enough to take the damage, survive and kill the mobs, but that experience isn’t enjoyable at all.

I don’t understand. Don’t ANet know that removing the control of a character from the player too often = Bad? This should be basic game design knowledge. Please enlighten me, why does ANet like CC so much?

Because it is a lazy way to make enemies more difficult without changing any of the base mechanics/animation/scripts. I’m running Cleric’s armor and trinkets and I’m still having difficulty taking on the mobs, even with Hallowed Ground, Hold the Line and Stand Your Ground.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Phillip.6485

Phillip.6485

Yeah it’s called lazy. CC up the kitten .

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: ValeN.3129

ValeN.3129

I dont see the problem, most stuff is soooo easy to telegraph.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Madora.9340

Madora.9340

They do telegraph their attacks but trying to get away from a group of five? Good luck.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Timothy.7204

Timothy.7204

Its the same logic they have when they one shot kill you.

My bet is they will delete my post here. The website is 100% biased, as they delete the negative posts. I’m going to have to start posting on Reddit, at least your posts are not deleted there.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Cymric.7368

Cymric.7368

True, if you are fighting just one or 2 mobs in an open area its not a problem. However in the tower, you are usually fighting a group at once, with ettin hallucinations spawning and spamming their knockdowns, conditions from the spores covering immobilization (can’t dodge when immobilized) with the random fear, mines that restrict where you can dodge to. Endurance quickly runs out and the ccs become very difficult to avoid.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Because they don’t want you to trivialize the content by running past it.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

If you can see the Toxic Warden shield bash knockback or react to the half-second jump the Toxic Knight’s make before they knockback consistently in groups of enemies, then I salute you. I certainly can’t.

And forget fighting Elite Toxic Husks. 90% of their attacks knockback or snare. You can avoid them easy enough, but they’ll never stop coming so eventually you’re going to run out of stability and dodges.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

“Why does ANet like CC so much?”……………..

Because it’s cheap to do.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

In a small scale balanced fight, like 5v5, CCs are one of the best ways the best way to skill. Timing your skills to interrupt key skills on the enemy, such as healing skills and heavy hitter skills, your time can get an advantage bigger than with mere attrition or pressure.

But in PvE fights, they only show skill in how many you can avoid. They are there mostly to slow down those who can’t avoid them well enough, making players lose effectiveness by putting on recharge skills before they can have any effect.

Unfortunately, visual clutter makes it really hard to see anything. And particularly in the tower there’s several spots with narrow corridors that make your camera tumble, making things even worse.

It’ll be nice if the skill activation progress indicator for GW1 came back in any form, like an option one can enable to have icons popping on top of enemies with a progress border that surrounds the icon as it completes. That would appear only when there’s lots of enemies around.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

The correct answer is that they know how we treat their trash mobs (ignore them) so they use CC to make us deal with them.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Sungam.9204

Sungam.9204

The CC would be fine if the mobs didn’t respawn so fast. By the time you kill a Vet and start on the next pack, the first pack you just killed has respawned and is likely targeting you.

So eventually we all get on our thieves or warriors and skip everything with mobility or stealth. Defeating their design and frustrating other players.

That’s how I would sum up this tower content.

Frustrating.