Am I The Only One Here...

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: EricGORE.7896

EricGORE.7896

… Who thinks backpack skins are not fun or desirable rewards for these events? I know, I know, there are new weapon skins and yadda yadda, but when I read:

“Show off your prowess with the new Slickpack back item. It glows, it gleams, and it lets the whole world know that you bested the dangers of Twilight Assault!”

It just doesn’t excite me. Sure, some of the wing skins have been cool, albeit, a little gimmicky and out of place, but whatever, I’m just not really diggin’ backpack skins being a common reward for these events.

You may say, “Well, you don’t have to get them if you don’t like them…”

Sure, I guess that’s true, and this all probably comes off really complainy (that’s a word, right?) but I enjoy these events, and spending time completing the new content is a lot of fun, I just wish there were some cooler incentives. Rewards that I could really get excited for. Backpack skins are just meh… Am I the only one?

Do I make you Norny, baby?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I like that they keep adding wildly different backpack skins, and for the most park the backpack slot is turning in to the “living story gizmo” slot.

Like, I enjoy that there’s a visual gear slot mostly dedicated to LS visual rewards as it makes the LS a visual part of characters in a very real way. I also understand WHY it’s the backpack slot, as it’s very easy to position and scale static objects that rest on a relatively flat part of all characters.

However!

It would be nice if we could rotate over each arc. I’m thinking that if most major story arcs take a month, have a back, then a headpiece, then shoulders, then a weapon in chronological order, so the end result is that if you really wanna show off that you stuck with an arc start to finish you could wear the whole set.

More armor would be a nice addition if there was some way other than the gem store to acquire it. Just a matter of balance really, do like last wintersday, and develop a set of gem skins and a set of non-gem skins and deploy them side by side?

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

Make them collectibles so we can stick them in the bank without using actually valuable slots. That way you can use them or not as you prefer. I have all the backpack skins from each of the events I’ve done since returning to GW2, and I haven’t actually used any of them. They’re all ugly. Holo wings, bone wings, rotting wings, and now a new hobopack for every class. Bleh.

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Back back gloves, back back helm, back back back …

That’s what it feels like *lol.

Ah, most of them just go straight into the bank. Maybe I’m supposed to rotate them more often, maybe I would if the whole system wasn’t so cumbersome, I don’t even want to start transmuting it onto something else so that another character could wear it etc.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Twilight Assault

EricGORE.7896

I like that they keep adding wildly different backpack skins, and for the most park the backpack slot is turning in to the “living story gizmo” slot.

Like, I enjoy that there’s a visual gear slot mostly dedicated to LS visual rewards as it makes the LS a visual part of characters in a very real way. I also understand WHY it’s the backpack slot, as it’s very easy to position and scale static objects that rest on a relatively flat part of all characters.

Yeah, I mean, I agree in that regard, about having a visual gear slot. I guess I just don’t like slapping dorky backpacks on my character in general. I’d welcome some more serious rewards, maybe some really nice cloaks for example.

Now, I know cloaks/capes aren’t for everyone, but having different options would be a good thing, and like them or not, they make a lot more sense than some goofy backpack. At least then we could potentially mix the item in with the rest of a look.

And I’m not suggesting these backpack choices shouldn’t be there, I understand some people enjoy them, I guess I’d just like more variety.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

i dont mind the skins but give us skins for armor pieces not just backpack skins i like the skins so far but would like other armor pieces so i can deck my whole char out how i want to with diferent pieces. if we keep getting backpack pieces i wont have enough chars to put them on

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

I think they make backpacks because it is the easiest thing to do, basically a shortcut. Why make armors for all races when you can just make one backpack?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

For me nothing’s going to top my Swanky Fractal Capacitor i’ve been working on but eh they can try, so far the back items have been kind of ho-hum. But then i usually have more practical tastes, Arrow Quivers are nice, other sheaths such as a GS would be nice but then then I would start to wonder why that doesn’t just come as a default with GS you have.

As long as they keep them coming maybe they will eventually come up with one I would deem worthy for one of my heroes or at least appropriate.

In keeping it practical how about a spiffy dyeable cape or scarf? Flowing red garments are the bomb.

(edited by MastaNeenja.1537)

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

I’m getting pretty bored with them now, but I think that’s because so many of them are kinda novelty, I guess. I’d be more interested in more practical backpieces that don’t look so out of place (or out of character . . . ) in an outfit.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

yeah! get your non-lore friendly light bright weapons!

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I’m getting pretty bored with them now, but I think that’s because so many of them are kinda novelty, I guess. I’d be more interested in more practical backpieces that don’t look so out of place (or out of character . . . ) in an outfit.

This is why I did the guild missions …

It’s not quite a cape, but atleast the Banner doesn’t seem so far removed from the rest of the games “painterly” Aesthetic

Four other ones I’d really like to see them do…. and would probably be a reward for some major LS offensive/defensive against Jormag…. would be (literally) skins gifted from the Totem spirits similar (but not as fitting) to what this NPC is wearing….
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Havroun_Grechen
…or I guess in Wolf/Leopard’s case could just be the tails :p

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: boondocksaint.6529

boondocksaint.6529

I don’t mind. I’m still waiting for one that goes with my warrior who has Frostfang. I want one that has a ice/glowing looks, the beta capacitor does not really fit well but something like that.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

… Who thinks backpack skins are not fun or desirable rewards for these events? I know, I know, there are new weapon skins and yadda yadda, but when I read:

“Show off your prowess with the new Slickpack back item. It glows, it gleams, and it lets the whole world know that you bested the dangers of Twilight Assault!”

It just doesn’t excite me. Sure, some of the wing skins have been cool, albeit, a little gimmicky and out of place, but whatever, I’m just not really diggin’ backpack skins being a common reward for these events.

You may say, “Well, you don’t have to get them if you don’t like them…”

Sure, I guess that’s true, and this all probably comes off really complainy (that’s a word, right?) but I enjoy these events, and spending time completing the new content is a lot of fun, I just wish there were some cooler incentives. Rewards that I could really get excited for. Backpack skins are just meh… Am I the only one?

Actually I am an Engineer

I currently have the Molten Jetpack, but I am looking forward for the slickpack.
It looks steampunk and that is the look I want.

So yes I want the pack… the weapons….. eeeeeh meeeeeh
Maybe if the weapons were red or green….
they look too much like ghost weapons from ascalon.

in Twilight Assault

EricGORE.7896

I currently have the Molten Jetpack, but I am looking forward for the slickpack.

Engineers have it better than most with these back slot rewards in my opinion, because backpacks are pretty much part of the classes trademark aesthetic. Obviously, it’s very subjective, but for an Engineer, I can totally see how the Slickpack is desirable as it totally fits the classes hallmark look.

What I’d really like to see is more variety and options, not just these weird out of place skins that sometimes work for a certain class. Or maybe just some other type of rewards in general. Or, again, some sweet cloaks/capes.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Am I The Only One Here…

No you aren’t. No one ever is. And every time someone posts a thread with a nondescript title like yours, god kills a kitten.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: RileyTheRad.8542

RileyTheRad.8542

I like them a ton.
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose

Hoopa doopa.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i hate fancy back items skin.

i never display them.

i got the basic fractal one, made it ascended, then that’s it.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

They use backs because it is independent of other armor parts

But yes i am rather tired of them by now.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Make them collectibles so we can stick them in the bank without using actually valuable slots.

Or better, make them unlockables, like the Achievement skins.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

I like them. I just wish we could generate them infinitely from the Achievement pane (like the Zenith/Radiant/Hellfire skins), since they’re awarded from achievements anyway.

in Twilight Assault

EricGORE.7896

Am I The Only One Here…

No you aren’t. No one ever is. And every time someone posts a thread with a nondescript title like yours, god kills a kitten.

Typical God move, am I right?

in Twilight Assault

EricGORE.7896

I like them. I just wish we could generate them infinitely from the Achievement pane (like the Zenith/Radiant/Hellfire skins), since they’re awarded from achievements anyway.

Totally agree there. And then add in some variety with a choice to pick, just like the skins you mentioned.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

Am I The Only One Here…

Good! kittening cats. Terrible pets.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Engineers have it better than most with these back slot rewards in my opinion, because backpacks are pretty much part of the classes trademark aesthetic. Obviously, it’s very subjective, but for an Engineer, I can totally see how the Slickpack is desirable as it totally fits the classes hallmark look.

What I’d really like to see is more variety and options, not just these weird out of place skins that sometimes work for a certain class. Or maybe just some other type of rewards in general. Or, again, some sweet cloaks/capes.

Except that they lose whatever back skin they’re using when they switch to the Hobo-sack (due to kits).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: daros.3407

daros.3407

You are not the only one. First i thought backs are fun but after 5..6..7th I changed my mind. In the and i am progresing capacitor and naturaly i will never use different skin on it.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

They appear limited, from a production standpoint, in what they can make for these updates.

Backpacks are relatively easy.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I think the game needs more backpack skins. The game launched with two (I think, engineer starter one and the guild backpack). Even after a year of them the diversity and range isn’t as great as armour or weapon skins. I’m still looking forward to seeing more.

Having said that, I think it’s a problem that almost all the backpack skins are temporary rewards and then gone forever. I really wish they had added them as permanent content rewards (maybe as world boss drops or similair to the dungeon trinket recipes) so that there were better incentives to run content rather than taking them away every month.

I suspect a large part of why they exist is that they are easier to make than armour sets. The weapon skins don’t equally reward all players (if it’s a great sword, it doesn’t reward elementalists) unless they give a full set or an option and it’s clear that the majority of the weapon skin resources belong to the Monetisation Team, leaving slim pickings for the achievement point rewards. They want a universally applicable carrot to get players to do the Living Story that is also themed to the content. Personally I would far rather a new back skin over the watchwork tonic or a mini pet I will never use.

Turn this around and make it constructive. If you don’t want back item skins, what do you want from Living Story meta achievement rewards?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: daros.3407

daros.3407

I think the game needs more backpack skins. The game launched with two (I think, engineer starter one and the guild backpack). Even after a year of them the diversity and range isn’t as great as armour or weapon skins. I’m still looking forward to seeing more.

Having said that, I think it’s a problem that almost all the backpack skins are temporary rewards and then gone forever. I really wish they had added them as permanent content rewards (maybe as world boss drops or similair to the dungeon trinket recipes) so that there were better incentives to run content rather than taking them away every month.

I suspect a large part of why they exist is that they are easier to make than armour sets. The weapon skins don’t equally reward all players (if it’s a great sword, it doesn’t reward elementalists) unless they give a full set or an option and it’s clear that the majority of the weapon skin resources belong to the Monetisation Team, leaving slim pickings for the achievement point rewards. They want a universally applicable carrot to get players to do the Living Story that is also themed to the content. Personally I would far rather a new back skin over the watchwork tonic or a mini pet I will never use.

Turn this around and make it constructive. If you don’t want back item skins, what do you want from Living Story meta achievement rewards?

Things to help me gear up my alt maybe. It is very alt unfriendly game since that ,,awesome" crafting update came.
You said you will never use watchwork tonic or a mini pet but i will never use back skin, becouse non of them looks as good as ascended backs.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

I’m still waiting for my purple rose themed back item. I mean we have red and yellow. I want purple too!

…but I’m willing to trade that to a costume creator GW style! I’ve five bank slots and all full of stuff.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Even though I personally don’t like stuff like backpacks, the fact that Quaggan backpacks are actually being sold and worn means clearly some people like the looks of them.

We all have different tastes. Mine being huge angel wings for back items, which I’m sure a lot of people would mentally puke at.

Plus, its quite representative of what the Aetherblades are like, so I think its a fitting reward.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

just want more armor skins

i enjoy the VA for female sylvari but half the chestpieces are boobcups

i don’t care if they cost gems (aka gold) because they aren’t easy to fit like backpieces and weapons, i just want muh variety

Disciple of Quag

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

I have to disagree with you about back items not being fun or desirable. That is actually the reward i look foward to the most in each update cuz i hav 4 alts that need back items for both pve and pvp. IMO there is not enough variety of back items right now. And i do want them to keep releasing more. They really just bring my characters looks together. but i would also like it if they released more armor as well as back items!

Attachments:

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Siobhan.6027

Siobhan.6027

I’m tired of the backpacks as well. Most of them are immersion breaking and/or ugly as all hell.

It would be nice if they gave us something useful. Ex. Some sort of ascended armor and/or trinket.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Make them collectibles so we can stick them in the bank without using actually valuable slots.

Or better, make them unlockables, like the Achievement skins.

Yeah, make them unlockable. I am just storing them in my bank slots cause I can’t be bothered with deciding who will wear them.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Mathzz.7501

Mathzz.7501

Backpack skins are actually a great addition if only they looked better. Don’t get me wrong, some of them are nice, but the majority of them are really bad looking and usually not worth the effort.

Personally I’d love to see more wings, with different kind of look and visual effects. Some even could go as far as make you levitate when idle, or other exciting cosmetic change.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Perishable items you can never, ever obtain again if used or lost are never fun or desirable to me.

If it’s not an unlock, these achievement rewards are pointless to me. I get them and they end up in the bank. Waiting until they can be unlocked so I can use them with any of my characters instead being used up and only usable in one character at a time.

Make them unlocks like the achievement point skins or the HoM items, and then I’ll consider if they are fun or desirable.

UNLOCKS·ARE·ALWAYS·BETTER.
No exceptions.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I’ve made a suggestion topic regarding Back Items that incorporates the Mini Collections request with a Miniature Carrier. The Miniature Carrier could have different skins/appearances in the future as well. Perhaps this could be a way of having some more interesting and functional back item skin/miniature carrier designs in the future.

Back Item + Mini Carrier Combo

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |