Scarlet is the BEST villain in GW2

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Amlin.6041

Amlin.6041

I like Scarlet other than the fact that she’s a Sylvari. Seriously stop trying to force these plants down our throats like mom tried to when we wouldn’t eat our vegetables. Human, Charr, and Norn, would have been amazing.

Your attempts to make people like the Sylvari more is very transparent.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

I like Scarlet other than the fact that she’s a Sylvari. Seriously stop trying to force these plants down our throats like mom tried to when we wouldn’t eat our vegetables. Human, Charr, and Norn, would have been amazing.

Your attempts to make people like the Sylvari more is very transparent.

It actually makes people attribute the questionable character design to the Sylvari as a whole, causing people to like them less. And that is unfortunate as the Sylvari are the only truly unique race to Guild Wars.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

She’s a narcissistic, psychopathic sociopath. She’s self-absorbed, self-important, incapable of empathizing with others, and she hates what everyone else is doing and refuses to try and fit in. Instead, because of her narcissism, she wants to make everyone love her and do things her way. She’s bullied and threatened the Aetherblades into conforming to her will (“Have you met my Aetherbaldes? They work for me because… they like living.”), and when she gets defeated at the Jubilee, she sends mailbombs to the players.

While she is one of the most unbalanced characters to ever have been kittened out of someone’s fevered imagination in forever, she isn’t enlightened. She’s too self-absorbed to ever be enlightened. She cannot even conceive of what true enlightenment is because it isn’t her, and if it isn’t her, she doesn’t care.

And then there’s her “back story”. I put it in quotes because it’s the sort of thing that I was writing when I was 6. She’s applied to and been accepted by all 3 colleges of the Asura. What? No Asura has ever done that, so why would the racially stuck up and self-important Asura allow a walking salad to do it? She’s a blacksmith, but quit because it was too easy. In what universe? Smithing is hard work and leave very little time for anything else. She’s the Six’s answer to everything you’ll ever need. Blindly fall to your knees and worship her.

Excuse me, I’m actually becoming physically ill thinking about how poorly written and implemented she is.

Scarlet isn’t the best villian ever. She’s the worse plot device ever contrived. She’s the laziest type of writing there is. Evil isn’t monolithic, and yet she’s quickly making every evil faction in GW2 fall under her sway. What’s next for her? Dominating the Elder Dragons? The Inquest is secretly working for her all this time and they would have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for you meddling players? Grand conspiracies don’t all tie up neatly under one little bow. They’re big messy self-conflicting affairs. They have lots of heads and lots of agendas, and none of them get along with one another for too long.

This isn’t normal, but on Scarlet Briar it is. Scarlet. Not even once.

This. So much this. By this point, the Sons of Svanir are the only enemy faction with any dignity remaining, if only for the fact that they’re not working for/with her. It would’ve been neat to see them fighting the Molten Alliance in Flame and Frost, or also fighting off Scarlet invasions in their territory. They’re bad guys, but I’m sure they wouldn’t stand for these other guys constantly showing up on their doorsteps.

Maybe we’ve actually killed them all by now in the Living Story? I guess, since their last time in the spotlight was Honor of the Waves, and don’t really get mentioned now.

The point is that Scarlet is not a good villain or character, just a plot device to attempt to tie the Random Story together to some extent. She’s an utter insult to the sylvari race, and should be destroyed as soon as possible.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

you say the sons of svanir aren’t working with her but sadly I believe you are mistaken, Slick the norn aetherblade with the oil gun says “Jormag take these oozes their sucking up all my oil” or something to that effect. He’s a norn and follows Jormag, think there is a 95% chance he is/was a son of svanir… maybe this will all lead to Jormag somehow hopefully.

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

in Twilight Assault

Nilkemia.8507

That could just be a curse towards the oozes: Jormag tends to be reviled by everyone who isn’t a Son of Svanir/Icebrood. It’s like saying “D@#n these oozes to H#11!!” or something like that.

There is no indication of him being a Son of Svanir. And don’t ever bring that idea up again!

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Palawa Joko is probably the coolest villain in the GW lore, I’ve loved him since NF first hit. Fanboi scream!

His story is epic and we brought him back because we needed his help and now look at him – and ANet refuse to expand on amazing stories such as this and give us these silly crappy villains in LS lol.

well according to GW wiki, in GW2 he rules over all Elona. So you may see the return of him after all. Unfortunately I’m worried the GW2 writers will ruin what the original writers created.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

I just got back into GW2.
Who is Ferran and what gift did she send you all?

And I eagerly look forward to ANet improving Zhaitan and the other dragon lieutenants like they did Tequatl. It’s obvious that they will since Tequatl’s become fairly successful.
If any villian needs to be improved, it’s Zhaitan.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

Well, Scarlet is now in a dungeon so guess you are stuck with her.

thumbs up

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

thumbs up

Nope it’s her Hologram, how typically boring, and predictable. I’m waiting for a time when we “kill” her and find out later it was just a hologram or a clockwork knight ZZZzzz awesome writing right there.

What would have been a pleasant surprise and not predictable would be that she would be the end boss of the dungeon and then that would be the end of her. They wrote themselves into a hole there, she would either flee as usual, die, or not be there at all.

The dungeon was fun they just need to make the cutscenes skippable because I’m done trying to follow the Story part of the LS.

If Scarlet would have been advertised as a main antagonist for GW2 from the start I probably wouldn’t have bought the game or played it very much if at all now.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

thumbs up

Nope it’s her Hologram, how typically boring, and predictable. I’m waiting for a time when we “kill” her and find out later it was just a hologram or a clockwork knight ZZZzzz awesome writing right there.

What would have been a pleasant surprise and not predictable would be that she would be the end boss of the dungeon and then that would be the end of her. They wrote themselves into a hole there, she would either flee as usual, die, or not be there at all.

The dungeon was fun they just need to make the cutscenes skippable because I’m done trying to follow the Story part of the LS.

If Scarlet would have been advertised as a main antagonist for GW2 from the start I probably wouldn’t have bought the game or played it very much if at all now.

Hope you jump to the latter thought there…
wink

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

I can’t agree more with you OP. Scarlet really IS the best villain I’ve seen so far in GW2. I was amazed at her story I have a feeling she’ll be the one to bring the world down to it’s knees.

Plus I kinda liked how she is tied to the Flame and Frost arc

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: bartrentenaar.8674

bartrentenaar.8674

Guild Wars 2 villain’s don’t even come close to the epicness of the villains in Guild Wars 1. Scarlet and all other villains are nothing compared to the Lich, Shiro, Varesh or (I don’t like this quite as much as the 3 I mentioned before this one) the Great Destroyer.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I can’t agree more with you OP. Scarlet really IS the best villain I’ve seen so far in GW2. I was amazed at her story I have a feeling she’ll be the one to bring the world down to it’s knees.

Proof there are some people who’re easily amused.

Scarlet doesn’t really have that unique or good of a story thus far. Mind you, I’m speaking without having done the new dungeon path yet.

Guild Wars 2 villain’s don’t even come close to the epicness of the villains in Guild Wars 1. Scarlet and all other villains are nothing compared to the Lich, Shiro, Varesh or (I don’t like this quite as much as the 3 I mentioned before this one) the Great Destroyer.

Or Abaddon.
Or Menzies (even though we never meet him).
Or Dhuum.
Or Lazarus.
Or Reiko.
Or Hablion.
Or even Galrath – and that guy doesn’t even say anything!

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Mornil.8031

Mornil.8031

I think people like her so much because there is no villan in the Gw2 personal story just a menace that escalates in the absolutly biggest letdown.

But i find her pretty one dimensional, no real character, no motives, no story behind her, just her stupid jokes.

Even the tie with the molten alliance is more than kitten(“You know them? They work for me” lol).

At least the PP had some memorable characters, so there is still hope.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Amazing how ArenaNet post in the thread about how good Scarlet is, and never in the threads about how terrible she is.

Hmmm, Anet needs more talented writers it seems…

They don’t, they can write very well.

Scarlet doesn’t lend herself to a good story though, in my opinion. She’s, so far, very shallow. Too many conveniences in the storyline. Way too much of “suddenly, a Wild Scarlet appeared to tear Tyria a new one”.

Why’s she doing it? Wait an undisclosed amount of time to find out.

Don’t like it. Want rid of her.

GW1’s Vizier Khilbron was an amazing villain. You knew he had a very defined goal, even though it wasn’t disclosed, and I enjoyed the fact that he didn’t disclose himself as a villain to the player until very late in the story…even though we all had his cards marked as evil by the end of Sanctum Cay.

In GW2… I love Faolain. So what if she’s more-or-less only made much of appearence in Twilight Arbor Storymode? There is intrigue behind her. Some mystery surrounding her relationship with Caithe, and why she turned to Nightmare. There are aspects of Faolain that remind me very much of Vizier Khilbron. Equally with Caudecus. We all know Caudecus is dodgy as kitten, and he’s sitting there, ticking over in the background being all mysterious. These are the kind of stories I like, but I recognise they’re maybe not for everyone.

Scarlet is too brash. So what if she’s attacked a lot of people and places. That doesn’t make her a “good character”. I feel that if there’s more to her than just someone who makes Chaos and starts fights, then we need more information on this…. something to make me care about wanting to see the next installment. At the moment, I do not care, and when Scarlet is announced to be in the next living story patch my heart sinks a bit. I couldn’t wait to get to the next mission in each GW1 campaign. As for this Living Story, so long as it’s about Scarlet, don’t care – don’t want it.

(edited by Sarie.1630)

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Proof there are some people who’re easily amused.

Scarlet doesn’t really have that unique or good of a story thus far. Mind you, I’m speaking without having done the new dungeon path yet.

Or Abaddon.
Or Menzies (even though we never meet him).
Or Dhuum.
Or Lazarus.
Or Reiko.
Or Hablion.
Or even Galrath – and that guy doesn’t even say anything!

Well I read about her in one short story. It may not be enough for some but at least she’s different from all the other villains in GW2. Also, I haven’t played GW1 yet so I don’t know much about their bosses although I have heard the The Great Destroyer is really kitten.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

Scarlet is boring, and I find that I don’t care one bit what she does in the game.

I just want to defend Tyria from the Elder Dragons.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

They don’t, they can write very well.

Scarlet doesn’t lend herself to a good story though, in my opinion. She’s, so far, very shallow. Too many conveniences in the storyline. Way too much of “suddenly, a Wild Scarlet appeared to tear Tyria a new one”.

Why’s she doing it? Wait an undisclosed amount of time to find out.

Don’t like it. Want rid of her.

GW1’s Vizier Khilbron was an amazing villain. You knew he had a very defined goal, even though it wasn’t disclosed, and I enjoyed the fact that he didn’t disclose himself as a villain to the player until very late in the story…even though we all had his cards marked as evil by the end of Sanctum Cay.

In GW2… I love Faolain. So what if she’s more-or-less only made much of appearence in Twilight Arbor Storymode? There is intrigue behind her. Some mystery surrounding her relationship with Caithe, and why she turned to Nightmare. There are aspects of Faolain that remind me very much of Vizier Khilbron. Equally with Caudecus. We all know Caudecus is dodgy as kitten, and he’s sitting there, ticking over in the background being all mysterious. These are the kind of stories I like, but I recognise they’re maybe not for everyone.

Scarlet is too brash. So what if she’s attacked a lot of people and places. That doesn’t make her a “good character”. I feel that if there’s more to her than just someone who makes Chaos and starts fights, then we need more information on this…. something to make me care about wanting to see the next installment. At the moment, I do not care, and when Scarlet is announced to be in the next living story patch my heart sinks a bit. I couldn’t wait to get to the next mission in each GW1 campaign. As for this Living Story, so long as it’s about Scarlet, don’t care – don’t want it.

No, A-net 100% needs better writers, the people that butchered old lore (despite some of it still being in game on skill points, hidden locations n legacy characters).
Lets see at stuff you could have done:

ED

Design – giant incarnations of a negative aspect of the (irl) human culture turned into threats
Story around them – giant stupid tornado

Enemies in personal story for pact/orders

D – having a band of allies following you trough the fight against zhaitan, you slowly losing them 1 by 1 with the following things being touched upon: loss of friends, slavery, racism, kitten , opression, respect of culture but knowledge of whats best for the future, difference between family bonds and responsibility to others, not to break under pressure or fear and equality of life.
Story – kitten kitten lets get these people then never see them then do the same to 4 others and only have like 5 well written characters and make the PC a selfish cynical prick (which i liked since thats the type of character id chose to play, but seriously think for how fast our pc decides on stuff and how little impact a lot of the personal story had).

Living story

D – ever evolving WORLD that players can explore and that impacts how we see tyria
Story – yay a new island pops out of nowhere, the dredge that are very anti-oppression ally with what were essentially the southern US slave owners with a fancy for pyromania and blind religion (ok the last 2 might still apply for the south of north america but still im pretty sure that the main thing we are supposed to hate about the flame legion is that they suppressed human/well charr and female rights), space/air pirates pop up with no explanation, 5 important characters just vanish off the face of the earth, a important character dies offscreen and somehow dragon worshipers are the Chinese trade routes that everyone knows off but has never seen and were never there but now will be?

Attachments:

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

She is said to be tied to the Flame and Frost arc (apparently she was the one that manipulated the Molten Alliance although this was stated outside the game, inside the game it was never officially confirmed or stated, simply implied by their presence during her invasions).

Here is my problem with that:

The Flame Legion don’t have a great deal of respect for females. In charr culture they are the ones framed as the reason why the females weren’t present in GW1. It’s difficult to believe that such an organisation would listen to a female sylvari. To do so you would have to disregard an established theme for their faction simply to accommodate Scarlet as a villain.

The dredge are a xenophobic race. They have a history of slavery and despise other races as a result of it. Why on earth would they work for (or listen to) Scarlet when she is from another race and she also personally uses threats of violence to control and subjugate her armies (“Have you met my Aetherblades? They work for me, you know, because they like living.")? This portrays the Aetherblades similair to slaves. Why would the dredge work with someone who enslaves people?

What happened the leaders of the dredge and the Flame Legion? One of the themes of groups is that when one leader dies, another takes over. I was under the impression the dredge had a military dictatorship in place. I don’t think a new Imperator (leader) of the Flame Legion was officially established but the organisation has been around for hundreds of years, Gaheron can’t be the first leader to die and he likely isn’t the last. They aren’t just laying around waiting for Scarlet to come harness their unused forces, they are an entities in their own right but the story ignores that simply to use them as tools for Scarlet to be a villain.

What exactly is it about her involvement in Flame and Frost that you like? The story’s complete disregard of the Flame Legion and the dredge as autonomous factions in Tyria with their own identities? The apparent lack of a motive or story behind what Flame and Frost was all about? Not even an attempt to explain why two different factions were easily controlled by a single person neither of them would likely deal with simply to accomplish very little?

The way the story is currently being written, established lore is just a tool box for the writers to pillage when they want to make Scarlet seem more threatening. Now she’s making a conveniently vague deal with the Nightmare Court to infest another part of Tyria. It’s like the writers think “let’s take two aesthetically different things and put them together with total disregard of lore and racial culture because that establishes Scarlet as craft and inventive” regardless of what it does to established lore.

The world of Tyria is already on its knees. Humans used to be the most powerful faction in Tyria, now they are on their last legs. The asura have been pushed out of their old homes and forced to run away. The same for the norn who were forced to move south (who are also plagued by the cancer of a dragon worshipping faction). The charr are sieged on all fronts by ghosts, branded minions and the Flame Legion and the sylvari are dealing with the Nightmare Court and whatever dragon is most threatening at the time. If you think Scarlet is the biggest threat in Tyria you haven’t been paying attention, the small number of refugees caused by Flame and Frost is nothing compared to the migration of entire races that Primordius and Jormag caused. Zhaitan caused the destruction of Old Lion’s Arch and reshaped the land just by getting out of bed, Kralkatorrik branded a good chunk of Ascalon by simply taking a morning stroll. The final fight of the Personal Story may have presented an underwhelming experience when it comes to Elder Dragons, but Scarlet is a drop in the bucket compared to them.

I don’t know what criteria the OP is using for best, but it can’t be one that involved respectfully treating the existing lore like ti matters and doing justice to the stories that came before it, because Scarlet is like a wrecking ball.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

The presentation of Vizier bored me, as soon as I heard him speak one thought popped in my mind: “Okay when am I going to be betrayed?”
Every mission he was in “I’ll be betrayed soon.”
Then when it happened my character looked so shocked, all I could do was the Nicholas Cage “You don’t say?!” face.

They could have done better with him.

Now Joko, even though he’s a King Thorn with no entertaining puns, was presentable and I’ll admit I do miss him. Even though you knew he was evil right off the bat, there was still entertainment with him.

I think that’s why I don’t mind Scarlet. At the moment she’s a mad dog killer type who needs to be put down. There’s nothing particularly tragic about her, she doesn’t need multiple facets, and she doesn’t need to be a complex character.

To quote a favorite character from a TV Show: “…I can’t recall the last time I was in a fight like that. No moral ambiguity, no … hopeless battle against ancient and overwhelming forces. They were the bad guys, as you say, we were the good guys. And they made a very satisfying thump when they hit the floor.”

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

(edited by Atlas.9704)

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

Hope you jump to the latter thought there…
wink

You wish, I’m too deeply invested in the game with friends and guildies, because at one point we didn’t get an invasive to do list every two weeks. We (as in my circle not the whole community) all agree that LS and it’s terrible characters are like that annoying guy at work and we try to avoid them but sometimes you just can’t.

Fortunately Scarlet’s days are numbered and when this “arch of a story” is done I’ll think of you while I grind away her health pool one last time. If only I hadn’t have thrown away that dull blade I got when I started the game.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Laundry.5120

Laundry.5120

She is said to be tied to the Flame and Frost arc (apparently she was the one that manipulated the Molten Alliance although this was stated outside the game, inside the game it was never officially confirmed or stated, simply implied by their presence during her invasions).

Here is my problem with that:

The Flame Legion don’t have a great deal of respect for females. In charr culture they are the ones framed as the reason why the females weren’t present in GW1. It’s difficult to believe that such an organisation would listen to a female sylvari. To do so you would have to disregard an established theme for their faction simply to accommodate Scarlet as a villain.

The dredge are a xenophobic race. They have a history of slavery and despise other races as a result of it. Why on earth would they work for (or listen to) Scarlet when she is from another race and she also personally uses threats of violence to control and subjugate her armies (“Have you met my Aetherblades? They work for me, you know, because they like living.")? This portrays the Aetherblades similair to slaves. Why would the dredge work with someone who enslaves people?

What happened the leaders of the dredge and the Flame Legion? One of the themes of groups is that when one leader dies, another takes over. I was under the impression the dredge had a military dictatorship in place. I don’t think a new Imperator (leader) of the Flame Legion was officially established but the organisation has been around for hundreds of years, Gaheron can’t be the first leader to die and he likely isn’t the last. They aren’t just laying around waiting for Scarlet to come harness their unused forces, they are an entities in their own right but the story ignores that simply to use them as tools for Scarlet to be a villain.

What exactly is it about her involvement in Flame and Frost that you like? The story’s complete disregard of the Flame Legion and the dredge as autonomous factions in Tyria with their own identities? The apparent lack of a motive or story behind what Flame and Frost was all about? Not even an attempt to explain why two different factions were easily controlled by a single person neither of them would likely deal with simply to accomplish very little?

The way the story is currently being written, established lore is just a tool box for the writers to pillage when they want to make Scarlet seem more threatening. Now she’s making a conveniently vague deal with the Nightmare Court to infest another part of Tyria. It’s like the writers think “let’s take two aesthetically different things and put them together with total disregard of lore and racial culture because that establishes Scarlet as craft and inventive” regardless of what it does to established lore.

The world of Tyria is already on its knees. Humans used to be the most powerful faction in Tyria, now they are on their last legs. The asura have been pushed out of their old homes and forced to run away. The same for the norn who were forced to move south (who are also plagued by the cancer of a dragon worshipping faction). The charr are sieged on all fronts by ghosts, branded minions and the Flame Legion and the sylvari are dealing with the Nightmare Court and whatever dragon is most threatening at the time. If you think Scarlet is the biggest threat in Tyria you haven’t been paying attention, the small number of refugees caused by Flame and Frost is nothing compared to the migration of entire races that Primordius and Jormag caused. Zhaitan caused the destruction of Old Lion’s Arch and reshaped the land just by getting out of bed, Kralkatorrik branded a good chunk of Ascalon by simply taking a morning stroll. The final fight of the Personal Story may have presented an underwhelming experience when it comes to Elder Dragons, but Scarlet is a drop in the bucket compared to them.

I don’t know what criteria the OP is using for best, but it can’t be one that involved respectfully treating the existing lore like ti matters and doing justice to the stories that came before it, because Scarlet is like a wrecking ball.

I just have to say this was brilliantly written.

In short, Scarlet just does not work thematically. Whoever wrote her really has no clue on the various factions and themes working within Tyria. Dredge and Flame Legion may ally to invade Ascalon and the Shiverpeaks, to both their benefits, but neither faction would even think to ally with Scarlet.

Flame Legion are xenophobic, already have a leader, and would enslave Scarlet in any case. The dredge are communistic, led by quasi-dictatorships, oh and are xenophobic to an extreme. They would never follow a sylvari or any “surface-dweller”.

The Nightmare Court is the only faction Scarlet makes sense in joining force with, and even that’s a stretch, as she’d need to be exposed to the Nightmare, which until now, as far as we know, she wasn’t.

Lavanderie – 80 Mesmer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

Electrique – 80 Engineer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

in Twilight Assault

Nilkemia.8507

A wall of text pointing out how nonsensical Scarlet is.

This. All of this. +10.

With the exception of some friendly dredge in Frostgorge Sound and the ones you help in Sorrow’s Embrace, the majority of the dredge are xenophobic and would never work for a half insane sylvari without something big in it for them. The story of Sorrow’s Embrace was much better, showing Kudu managing to work with them by appealing to their desire for more power and giving them technology to sick them on the rest of Tyria.

In fact, the Flame and Frost arc seems to imply that all we did to help the friendly dredge in Sorrow’s Embrace was for nothing, since either they failed to stop the corruption of the moletariate or became just as corrupt afterwards, and decided to work with another bad guy faction again, this time with the Flame Legion, who are known for enslaving their own kind, and dislike females. These two vastly different factions aligning was already implausible from what we know about both of them, and both of them just being okay with working under Scarlet with nothing good to gain from it(that we know of) is utterly nonsensical.

Then the Aetherblades. Where is she getting all of these recruits from? Do they willingly join or do they consist of people she just kidnaps? What to they get from working for her that they can’t get some other way? She claims they do it because they like living, but I fail to see that as a valid reason when she sends them off to die by the hundreds in invasions and in the bases that keep getting raided.

And now the Nightmare Court. I thought Scarlet was trying to avoid the whole Dream vs. Nightmare dichotomy, and that was part of what made her choose her path. Apparently that was quickly forgotten, because she’s working with/has a deal with them now.

Remember that talk of the Dream and Nightmare, Caithe and Faolain, all being part of a bigger design for the sylvari, and how she’s supposedly trying to change the rules? (at least for herself) What happened to all that? I thought Twilight Assault might at least give us an inkling of what her bigger goals might be, but instead, more gimmicky bosses, more annoying trash, and ooohhh, Caithe’s got a secret, but I’m not telling!

Scarlet’s been around too long now to not be working into her bigger plan by now. She’s had her chance to intimidate/impress me, and squandered it completely by the end of Clockwork Chaos.

This kind kind of villain can work, but it’s been done already, and better. There are plenty of other threats we could be dealing with that are more dangerous and interesting than her.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

To quote a favorite character from a TV Show: “…I can’t recall the last time I was in a fight like that. No moral ambiguity, no … hopeless battle against ancient and overwhelming forces. They were the bad guys, as you say, we were the good guys. And they made a very satisfying thump when they hit the floor.”

RIP Andreas Katsulas.

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Just saw LoLs music video of jinx. I felt closer to her than scarlet…

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

Too much Joker/Harley Quinn these days. Nothing creative.

I’d say she tries to live up the name but falls flat on her face. I honestly find her to be a very generic Mary Sue that was just tossed in for the story. The Asura are anal about their technology being just their so why would they let Scarlet who isn’t even a firstborn gifted or not into any college? And if it was a rumor you’d hear Asura deny it as an affront to their pride. Then the other stuff such as Charr combat trained.. Really? It took the Pact to get Charr to share their knowledge on how to build their great machines and all their training is done from birth in the Fahrar you couldn’t learn it in all in a few years. Also they might sell technology to be used but outside of the Pact they do not teach others how to build it.

Sure some of this stuff you could always point out Lion’s Arch, Inquest, or something else but her story says this not that. Even then people like the Inquest only do something if they get something out of it and a nobody plant which is what she was at the start has nothing to offer them. So why would they teach it even then? Oh.. and don’t even get me started at the viewing of the ultimate power garbage changing her mind. “gag”

GW1 wasn’t perfect with things like Kormir but I’d still rate it above generic crazy lady. Especially Abaddon as he was threaded throughout the story and manipulated so many in really fun ways. Let alone the story sections involving characters like Glint. I’d still waiting for GW2’s story to pass GW1 and stop taking notes from WoW’s epic bad level of telling with stuff like Scarlet.

Oh.. and while I like the stories on the website they really need to put more of that crap into the actual game. Most people will never see that and expecting people to buy and read your books just to get where the hell someone came from is pretty kittenty as well. Throw more of it into the kitten game or stop calling it living story and call it a content update or patch.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

RIP Andreas Katsulas.

Agreed.
Him, Zack, Zathuras, and the good Doctor now explore the Outer Rim together.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Zhaitan killed Tybalt Leftpaw. Checkmate.

And Forgal and Seiran. Well, his minions did it, but still more or less it was Zhaitan. Triple Checkmate. Scarlet hasn’t killed anyone important.

Everyone is forgetting that she killed 10-50k people in the pavilion by bombing the only escape rout. So she killed a kittenload of people. Npcs should matter and be greater motivation for players to decapitate her giggling head off.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

And Forgal and Seiran. Well, his minions did it, but still more or less it was Zhaitan. Triple Checkmate. Scarlet hasn’t killed anyone important.

Everyone is forgetting that she killed 10-50k people in the pavilion by bombing the only escape rout. So she killed a kittenload of people. Npcs should matter and be greater motivation for players to decapitate her giggling head off.

But it isn’t and never will be. You see the same stuff with wars all over the world where nobody cares or wants to do anything about it till it effects them in same way. Doesn’t matter if it is selfish it is just how it is and there are to many people in the world to deeply care for every last single one. Same thing applies in the game you will never care about those npc’s that have had NO EFFECT on anything you care about. Let alone default human npc’s who constantly rant at you to accept one of the 6 as your god each time you pass by in the city, etc.

in Twilight Assault

Nilkemia.8507

10,000 to 50,000 people in the pavilion? (If you’re using that K=1,000) Where are you getting these numbers? I don’t think there were even a thousand in there. That last bomb was just where Logan happened to be at the moment from what I saw, and only the bunch right around him got taken out (save for the one he managed to use aegis on). Around a dozen at best?

In that case, Zhaitan still wins due to killing far more at Claw Island. That’s not even counting all those who died when Lion’s Arch got flooded just by him waking up and rising Orr in the process, or all those the Risen have managed to kill in other attacks.

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: CratZ.6270

CratZ.6270

Just waiting for when the story evolves and we find out Scarlet is just a minor pawn for the Skritt masterminds….

Makes perfect sense in the scope of GW2 lore too!

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: transtemporal.2158

transtemporal.2158

I look forward to the next instalment of the living story where we find out it was ALL JUST A DREAM.

…or was it?