The future of Caithe?

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Bomber.6528

Bomber.6528

I just want to here your thoughts on this. We have a basic idea of what will happen with the next installment to the living story. Scarlet is at it again, with a new devious plan she’s throwing into action to cause more trouble around the Guild Wars world. She’s made it quite clear she is acting of her own whim, that she supports neither the predestined Sylvari or the denying Nightmare court. Needless to say, Scarlet has the potential to create a temporary truce between the Nightmare Court and Sylvari to take out their greater threat. If this happens, we know Caithe and Faolain will be working closely together (as leading representatives of each party), mixed emotions will run high.

So of it all when they conclude their business? I feel there’d be potential to have another exciting twist in the living story. To make it even better, Anet could find a way to have the players decide whether Caithe turns to the Nightmare Court or not. It would be cool to decide that outcome by choice of a mission. The outcome of the given mission affects Caithe and forces her to remain in the dream or join her ex lover in the nightmare.

I can’t imagine much would happen if Caithe didn’t join the NC, however, for all we know they could try blackmailing her into joining while she’s distracted by Scarlet (like someone she cares for losing their life if she doesn’t join?). On the other side, if she does turn, that could be the focus of the next installment of the living story: trying to save Caithe.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

I have several theories about the Nightmare Court and Caithe joining forces to fight Scarlet.

I have another theory about how the Halloween is going to be different than the previous one…

Just waiting to see what happens before throwing wild ideas out there…

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Shadeofgrey.3065

Shadeofgrey.3065

The idea of Faolain teaming up with Caithe to defeat Scarlet does seem like an interesting drama filled story with lots of consequences. It certainly would twist Caithe’s feelings all up, which is something I see Faolain seeking to do. As for Caithe falling into nightmare, I hope that never happens, because once one falls into nightmare there is no saving them. It is said so in one of the sylvari personal story missions, and is something that has been said in other media as well.

“Once you’ve crossed that line, once you’ve given into fear, you’ll never go back. I’ve seen it.” -The Green Lantern (2011)

I’ve thought about making it my personal mission to make sure that Caithe does not fall into nightmare. It’s a bit complicated because she is a NPC in a video game, but Anet does allow people to influence the game and I feel that Caithe is very important.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

^This. I want to see a team-up, but I don’t want to let Caithe fall into nightmare. My sylvari mesmer saw that bad future and swore she’d never let Caithe be turned by the nightmare.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: RileyTheRad.8542

RileyTheRad.8542

It might sound odd, but I think I would like Scarlet a lot more if Caithe would actually kill her. Not because I hate her and a dead Scarlet is better than a living one to me (maybe it’s a small factor… xD), but moreso because it would be ANet acknowledging her limits. If she finally has a dying realization of humanity (err… sylvari-y?) and her failings, it would help balance her so much better.

At that point, I would be more than happy to see her spirit live on as the Mad King’s kitten side kick.

Hoopa doopa.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Bomber.6528

I just look at it from a writer’s perspective. How to make something as vast as Guild Wars to develop into a more interesting story. This would include playing with the hearts of the readers (us players), bringing moments where the readers cry out in accomplishment after an epic event, or something rather.

To me, the ultimate plot twist would be to have Caithe fall to the Nightmare Court, yet even still, I feel like we could have a star wars moment where Caithe is tempted by the nightmare, but isn’t 100% converted, so that’s where that mission to save Caithe could come in.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: RileyTheRad.8542

RileyTheRad.8542

I just look at it from a writer’s perspective. How to make something as vast as Guild Wars to develop into a more interesting story. This would include playing with the hearts of the readers (us players), bringing moments where the readers cry out in accomplishment after an epic event, or something rather.

To me, the ultimate plot twist would be to have Caithe fall to the Nightmare Court, yet even still, I feel like we could have a star wars moment where Caithe is tempted by the nightmare, but isn’t 100% converted, so that’s where that mission to save Caithe could come in.

There isn’t partial conversion, once they’re part of the Nightmare they can never be saved from it.

Unless you mean she almost joins or something, that could work. You know, I just realized I have no idea what’s involved in the actual conversion process itself… I like to think it’s a lot of paperwork. Maybe there can be another Geico commercial with Dikembe Mutombo smacking the pen out of her hand. Man, they’ll never get Faolain to sign a policy after that…

Hoopa doopa.

(edited by RileyTheRad.8542)

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Nilkemia.8507

It’s been stated time and time again, by Caithe and others, that once you’re corrupted, there is no cure.

With Destiny’s Edge reunited, Caithe isn’t as susceptible to being tempted by Faolain as she would’ve been if they kept fighting amongst each other. (as the bad future we saw in “A Light in the Darkness” showed) Of course, it’s possible that Caithe could be captured and put into a conversion pod to forcibly corrupt her, but I don’t want it to happen. And I really think it won’t, since she’s an important character in the Personal Story and so far they haven’t had anything really bad happen the characters in the Personal Story. Remember when people said the queen might get captured or killed?

And, admittedly since I like Caithe, I’d not want to see her get turned or be put in a position where she could be turned. My sylvari mesmer would hurt forever if that happened.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Bomber.6528

It’s been stated time and time again, by Caithe and others, that once you’re corrupted, there is no cure.

With Destiny’s Edge reunited, Caithe isn’t as susceptible to being tempted by Faolain as she would’ve been if they kept fighting amongst each other. (as the bad future we saw in “A Light in the Darkness” showed) Of course, it’s possible that Caithe could be captured and put into a conversion pod to forcibly corrupt her, but I don’t want it to happen. And I really think it won’t, since she’s an important character in the Personal Story and so far they haven’t had anything really bad happen the characters in the Personal Story. Remember when people said the queen might get captured or killed?

And, admittedly since I like Caithe, I’d not want to see her get turned or be put in a position where she could be turned. My sylvari mesmer would hurt forever if that happened.

I just try to keep as open of a mind as possible when it comes to GW2. Despite the fact many people have have said you can’t go back once you fall into nightmare, given that everything about the Sylvari is still new to the GW2 universe, I’m just leaving room for any possibility that could suggest you can can be converted back.

So many possibilities, so few definites.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Yeah ArenaNet has a bad habbit of having something be canon but only from the perspective of the people saying it. If it suits their story telling goals a year down the track to say that the human gods giving the creatures of Tyria the gift of magic was simply what the humans believed and not objectively true then they will do so to “retcon” at their convenience.

Freeing someone from Nightmare is fair game according to the rules ArenaNet lore writers play by.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Erichermit.6018

Erichermit.6018

If Caithe gets corrupted, I’d get the rest of destinys edge together to drag her back to the altar of glaust and patch that up.

Actually why don’t we get faolain in there? I’m sure Caithe would appreciate it and we can always use more Firstborn dragonslayers, especially those with detailed information on Mordremoth.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

A good person’s slide into darkness can be a compelling story. However, I have yet to begin to understand how anyone gets even vaguely tempted by the Court. “We want to poison the Dream to free its slaves,” ok. But “so we are going to cause all the pain and torment and misery we can, mu ah hah hah” just doesn’t cut it.

The Inquest go to the extreme of unethical research. Fine. Bandits are robbers and villains common to the human condition, got it. Sons of Svanir have been corrupted by the dragon after getting psyched into misogyny, typical cult stuff. Flame Legion are an imbedded part of lore, the holdover villainous charr with religious overtones, sure thing.

There just isn’t that depth to the Court. They are petty sadists justifying their S&M with “being nice sucks, have a nice helping of pain, it’s for your own good, really.” Caithe choosing to become nasty just so she can cuddle with Faolain simply can’t make me suspend my disbelief.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Nilkemia.8507

I just try to keep as open of a mind as possible when it comes to GW2. Despite the fact many people have have said you can’t go back once you fall into nightmare, given that everything about the Sylvari is still new to the GW2 universe, I’m just leaving room for any possibility that could suggest you can can be converted back.

So many possibilities, so few definites.

Except getting corrupted (by either dragon or nightmare) is one of the things that has remained definite throughout the game. Once you’re turned, you don’t go back, unless you die.

The only exceptions so far have been Glint, who was freed by a powerful ritual from a race that no longer exists (or simply isn’t anywhere that we know of right now), and Kudu, who apparently found a way to corrupt himself but still keep his mind (For the most part. Still uncertain if the dragon energies could influence him or not).

And I’m sure that if they figured out how to use the ritual without dragging people to that one altar, they’d have tried it on some Nightmare Courtiers by now.

As I said, the odds of Caithe being tempted are less likely now. They could still forcibly try to turn her evil, but I really hope that doesn’t happen.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Nilkemia.8507

A good person’s slide into darkness can be a compelling story. However, I have yet to begin to understand how anyone gets even vaguely tempted by the Court. “We want to poison the Dream to free its slaves,” ok. But “so we are going to cause all the pain and torment and misery we can, mu ah hah hah” just doesn’t cut it.

The Inquest go to the extreme of unethical research. Fine. Bandits are robbers and villains common to the human condition, got it. Sons of Svanir have been corrupted by the dragon after getting psyched into misogyny, typical cult stuff. Flame Legion are an imbedded part of lore, the holdover villainous charr with religious overtones, sure thing.

There just isn’t that depth to the Court. They are petty sadists justifying their S&M with “being nice sucks, have a nice helping of pain, it’s for your own good, really.” Caithe choosing to become nasty just so she can cuddle with Faolain simply can’t make me suspend my disbelief.

I agree. Outside of Gavin from the White Stag storyline, all the Nightmare Court are just the generic “Lets enjoy making everything suffer and die, just cause we don’t like Ventari’s Tablet.” Their supposed motive decays even further when they prey on the Soundless, who don’t follow the Dream or the Tablet either.

While the Inquest supposedly just do science without ethics, they’ve demonstrated that they just use that as an excuse to be evil jerks as well, when some of the things they do don’t make sense for any reason other than “we’re evil”.

Sons of Svanir use the idea that Dragon is a Spirit of the Wild too, which does make some sense…but then they use that as an excuse to be as evil as they want too, with a little misogyny thrown in as well.

Flame Legion have been jerks even since the original Guild Wars, so…

And Bandits and Pirates need no explanation.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Hopelessalchemist.4816

Hopelessalchemist.4816

Nightmare Courtiers allying with the Dreamers? That’s a very interesting idea, but somewhere along the way I’m pretty sure the Courtiers would turn against the good guys. Not sure how the fight would go, but it sure would be interesting.

Caithe being tempted by the Court makes sense, what with Faolain being alive. Even though Destiny’s Edge has reformed, thing’s are still uneasy among them. Faolain could easily say something that’ll push her over the edge. My sylvari necro has refused to let any harm come to the people she cares about. If I could have, I’d have destroyed Faolain so that the poor little flower could move on with her life. Unfortunately the dungeon wouldn’t let me do that.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Deim Hunir.8503

Deim Hunir.8503

Caithe literally falling into nightmare would be a bit of a shame though as she is one of the few likable characters around.
Now teaming up and being oh so lsightly tempted by Faolain of course makes it interesting and even sense.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

do not turn the lesbian cabbage evil pls , tyvm

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

Also, don’t forget that Caithe almost did fall to Nightmare in the 2nd book…when Faolain poisoned her by touching her chest…she was only saved when DE forced Faolain to remove the poison before she fled…Caithe may not go of her own free will, but its already been shown that she could be forced to join.

as a side note…bad guys always die twice…

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

nuuuuu not caithe, she inspired my sylvari to be a thief herself (even though it was pre chosen)

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Nilkemia.8507

Well, the new path is out now. do we actually learn anything interesting about Caithe or no?

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

It is only hinted, no bombshells dropped.
Though I will admit I chuckled when Scarlet said something (which I’ll paraphrase) “I know something about you even Faolain didn’t. Does that mean we can go out together? Should I start calling you dearheart?”

Such sarcasm, okay I laughed.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Nilkemia.8507

Ok, so Caithe didn’t get turned evil right? She made it out of there just fine right?!

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I reckon it’d work if it was done well..

Problem is, I’m skeptical they’d be able to get it done well.

I ? Karkas.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Ok, so Caithe didn’t get turned evil right? She made it out of there just fine right?!

Still a good Sylvari, all things considered for what counts as ‘good’ for Caithe.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Nilkemia.8507

Still…this so-called “secret” seems like either a fake-out by Scarlet, or another bad retcon incoming.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

How would it be a ‘retcon’ when her past is largely unknown? Sylvari only awoke about 25 years ago.

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Nilkemia.8507

I suppose Eir suddenly having a son out of nowhere works too, just because we didn’t know much of her past besides her time in Destiny’s Edge? No.

Even if it doesn’t turn out to be a retcon, it’ll just be stupid, or get dropped and never be brought back up.

The future of Caithe?

in Twilight Assault

Posted by: kuscheldrow.6415

kuscheldrow.6415

We’ve had a lot of theories about the sylvari Story, what could be and what Anet could do.

The truth is… I don’t even trust them to even have a look over their plate’s borders.
The Story so far is… low, pretty low compared to what they could have done by simply following the Lore they’ve put up themselves.
I don’t even think that there would ever be a Team up. And even if, Caithe couldn’t really fall into nightmare. I mean… she’s an essential part of the living Story. It’d be rather confusing if she did, and you still have her in the Story. It would all have to be re-written.

Then, judging by what they did to TA I’d rather say everything’s possible. But I don’t really expect them coming up with something really surprising anymore. Especially if it Comes to Scarlet. rolleyes

She’s just an annoying b…. well you know… ^^"

And finally… I think I couldn’t care less for the Story unless I ever see at least something relevant Happening. And by thus I do not mean a manic Powerpuff Flower like Scarlet appearing and annoying the hell outta me in any way possible. Since the last patch, I’ve been out so far… x_X

I don’t feel this is going anywhere exciting or intresting at all but well… We’ll actually see what the future holds, if the game hadn’t gone all the way down the hills by then.

Trahearne <3