Angry that I didn't get much from Giant Wintersday Gifts

in Wintersday

Posted by: Endemonadia.8593

Endemonadia.8593

I just wanted to get this off my chest…

Ive been playing just over a week, i quit Wow after 5 years (im only saying this to point out that i fully understand how MMO events work). After logging in for the first time i quickly realised i was in the Xmas event so ive been focusing on collecting as many Xmas tokens as possible (socks, jumpers, hats). Ive been playing every day for 10 hour sessions over Xmas and must say that the game overall is excellent so please keep it up But im making this post for one major complaint.

Well, i cashed in my tokens tonight and basically got sweet **** all!

I collected 155 socks, 90 Jumpers and 88 hats and i bought only Giant Wintersday Gifts. Because from i can tell the only interesting items are gained from these.

I got 21 gifts and from these got 20 Jumpers and 1 Flawless Snowflake.

Ru telling me that the only worthy item i get from the GW2 Wintersday event is 1 measley snowflake?

Guys u really need to address how this event works, cos for a new player like me who has put in alot of effort it hurts when your only reward is pretty much NOTHING.

~Ende~

[Moderator note: thread title edited for clarity. Please use thread titles that describe the issue, so people know what your topic is about before they click the link.]

(edited by Moderator)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Your problem was expecting to get anything of value out of the gifts. Chances that a bell or tonic will drop are miniscule. Find some skins you like, make some minis and tonics, play the games, have some fun without worrying about getting a huge payday at the end.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kinglette.4906

Kinglette.4906

as with wow the event is better at level cap, which after those hours i assume you are close to
i had more sock etc than that and i have not farmed the event or played those kind of hours 1-3 hours half the days (stupid interstate visits) i managed to buy 2 skins and bought the cheaper one i wanted off the tp

80 Guardian, 80 Warrior, 80 Thief
[AVTR] FA

in Wintersday

Endemonadia.8593

Im not interested in skins, exactly the same as i didnt care at all about transmogging in Wow.

Any mats, functional items, recipes etc are all fine by me…

So basically GW2 Xmas was good for people who like to dress-up but sucks for everyone else right?

@Kinglette – I played loads of the Xmas snowball event so im not close to 80 yet lol

(edited by Endemonadia.8593)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

So basically GW2 Xmas was good for people who like to dress-up but sucks for everyone else right?

@Kinglette – I played loads of the Xmas snowball event so im not close to 80 yet lol

Not necessarily. A lot of people liked the mini games too. Basically just don’t put any stock in getting anything from random boxes. You’ll be happier with the events. Try to enjoy the other things. Hopefully the next event will be more your thing.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

If you don’t like playing dress-up you might just be playing the wrong game entirely tbh.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Wintersday

Endemonadia.8593

If you don’t like playing dress-up you might just be playing the wrong game entirely tbh.

ru serious?

I dont care what my character looks like, its all about performance and challenging content to me… i hope ur wrong on this one dude

I thought Xmas was all about presents. yes, i enjoyed the extra games, in fact i think theyre superb. but whats the point of having a Xmas token system if there is NOTHING worth collecting them for?

NOTE: why the hell was my title changed? It wasnt offensive or misleading, it was exactly accurate to the point i made. U removed the point that im a NEW PLAYER…. Mods changing forum content is EXTREMELY worrying. Especially as theyre changing words that I have actually said into something completely different.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lacechan.6524

Lacechan.6524

They probably changed it because of the “hacked off” that was in the original title. Not everyone is up to date on jargon I suppose. It’s likely it was changed so someone who didn’t know wouldn’t think it meant you got hacked.

Also I wouldn’t say GW2 is all about dress-up but it is one of the main things to do at the end.

in Wintersday

Posted by: wcnighthawk.8530

wcnighthawk.8530

Your first mistake was looking at this event from a subscription game viewpoint. There, they can afford to be generous with gifts. Your practically garaunteed to get that special holiday item. In a price-goug….err sorry, F2P model, they will always jip you in hopes of you spending money to get what you have almost no probable chance to get. But that is the nature of the beast; that is how they make their money. You just have to roll with it.

Current Rig: I7-980x Extreme, Nvidia Geforce GTX 670, 12gb Corsair Dominators @2000mhz

in Wintersday

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

According to people who opened 1,000s of gifts, the drop rates for goodies from the gifts (large or small) were very small:

• Ugly sock/hat/sweater: ~85%
  • Snowflakes: ~10%
  • Recipes: ~1%
  • Skin: ~3%
  • Rune or Sigil: 0.1%
  • Unbreakable Bell or Endless Tonic: less than 1 chance in 100,000.

This is a fairly typical distribution for consumable boxes in an ANet game: lots of low-value stuff, with a small chance of something fun, and a tiny (or smaller) chance of something awesome.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: Mahaedros.7085

Mahaedros.7085

Anyways, Endemonadia, welcome to Tyria. A lot like WoW, there will be some things you’ll really like and a large variety of things to do so you can pick and choose what’s most fun for you.

Here’s one of the best websites for information- especially events:

http://dulfy.net/category/gw2/

There are going to be some major content patches in January and February so you might want to check that site and there’s plenty of other good info sites out there too.

One thing’s for sure: Anet does thing different than Blizzard so you’re going to have to be aware of that when you make plans in-game. For the most part, I’m really happy with the things Anet does that are different than Blizzard.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

(edited by Moderator)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Thorgal.1287

Thorgal.1287

ah well I openend 12000+ wintersday gifts and didnt get the unbreakable bell or the endless tonic… but I had great fun overall with the event.. I love the event jumping puzzles (cant be bothered with the normal ones usually..) and also think the other " dungeon" thingies and mini-games were a blast…

now.. shall I open the last 2000 gifts I have or try to earn a bit of my spent gold back? grins

in Wintersday

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

The Wintersday events were essentially focused on dress-up and minigames – you sadly missed the Lost Shores event which (regardless of how successful folks say it was) focused much more on fighting giant crabs and getting sweet loot.

The Gifts were largely a means to get enough socks, hats and sweaters for you to get the skins, frames and recipes that you wanted – even the rarest gear you could pick up consisted of a minipet and a guitar hero-like bell to ring in people’s ears. The GW2 wiki as well as gw2db are good places to get information on events like this so you know what to expect.

And although I’m sure it’s a sore point, I do find it a bit ironic that you saved up your items to buy presents from which you had the significant chance to get more of the same items (though giving you a lower overall total). Not your fault, mind, but a little research could have saved you the headache.

Behold: Opinions!

in Wintersday

Posted by: BiJay.9830

BiJay.9830

After I realized there’s only a tiny chance to get something valuable off the presents I kept selling them which gave me at least some money. Also seems like they went up in price now the event is at it’s end, so for the next event I’ll know what to do.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Yeah, bye bye unbreakable bell. -_-

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

in Wintersday

Endemonadia.8593

Ive just come back to this thread and seen that theyve deleted one of my posts… That means theyve not only totally changed my original title of this thread (which indicentally was something like “New player is rather hacked off”) but also deleted a longer explanation of my main gripe.

R the forum mods on this game extremely sensitive to any constructive criticism?

Or maybe there are certain words which are not allowed?

Any subjects which are not allowed?

Or are they just trying to hide anything they construe as negativity towards the game?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

Ive just come back to this thread and seen that theyve deleted one of my posts… That means theyve not only totally changed my original title of this thread (which indicentally was something like “New player is rather hacked off”) but also deleted a longer explanation of my main gripe.

R the forum mods on this game extremely sensitive to any constructive criticism?

Or are they just trying to hide anything they construe as negativity towards the game?

Welcome to GW2 :/

in Wintersday

Posted by: Folie.7980

Folie.7980

You might want to check your inbox buddy. Your post was deleted because it was in response to my post that was deleted because people got upset over one sentence. If Anet couldn’t handle the criticism, the entire thread would be deleted. Please stop playing victim, it’s getting annoying.

#magswag
bad player/10

in Wintersday

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

The game is not for you if you want to spend alot of playtime (assumed because you played 10 hours per day over xmas) to as you say improve performance through drops/tokens/loot. You might not know yet if you havent read up on everything, but the game keeps a low power curve in items and after you get lvl80 (takes a week or two max) and buy/craft the exotic items of your choice, you are done. The only way to further improve your stats, by only a few percent, is to grind 9 small instances over and over (fotm). And there is really no point to that stat-wise because even before you start on it, you can do everything else in the game without problem.