Anyone plan on buying the chests again?

in Wintersday

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I am hoping that Anet increased some of the stuff this time around since I’ve heard a lot of good things about the crafting compared to Halloween. But having spent over 50$ on Halloween chests (then throwing away all the boosters I got to make the Mad King chests and getting nothing Halloween related) I am a bit reluctant to do so again.

After the Halloween fiasco, I am going to find it pretty hard to put money into any of those. Will any of you be buying them this time around? Why or why not?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’m cheap, so I definately won’t be buying anything. I barely managed to force myself to buy an extra character slot :p

But I’m hoping the chests are going to be seperate items ala the Consortium Chest, and not just low-chance drops from the normal BLC. That way you’re guaranteed to get some holiday items, even if you don’t nessicarily get exactly what you want.

in Wintersday

TehPwnerer.7215

We’ll see if they go that route again. Though it’d be unfortunate for those who banked up a bunch of keys in prep for the event. I know tons did that because to get the Halloween item skins you had to buy the keys to get lucky from the regular chests.

We’ll see though. I will buy a few regardless and hopefully more people will see more festive item skins this time around!

in Wintersday

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

nah, ill probably never buy chests since it is a lottery with terrible drop rate and mostly useless stuff. i usually buy the stuff i want directly and, in the day they make chests the only way to get the stuff i like (bound stuff), ill probably quit the game.

in Wintersday

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

Only if it’s like consortium chests

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

in Wintersday

TehPwnerer.7215

Only if it’s like consortium chests

That would be the better route. However what of all the people banking up keys since Halloween to prepare for Wintersday? I’m not sure yet if I’ll buy any of them anyway, just trying to converse about it.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Esturk.2183

Esturk.2183

Nah, I won’t purchase keys/chests from Anet ever again.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zohar.4576

Zohar.4576

No, they lost my trust in regards to chests perhaps permanently. That said if they offer costumes I can buy, chances are I will buy them because that’s what I thought the purpose of the cash shop was (not a stupid lottery). Sell costumes on the shop = I’ll buy them.

Put costumes in chest = I’ll never buy a chest.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Miss Sugarific.8471

Miss Sugarific.8471

Nope, not going to bother. Bought a bunch of keys for halloween, and got nothing halloween related. What a waste.

in Wintersday

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

If it’s BLC I’ll pass. If it’s a seperate chest…depends entirely on what the items are.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

in Wintersday

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

I already haveafew keys i’m going to use but past that im not planing on it. got nothing of any worth for haloween

in Wintersday

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

Some of you guys are funny. You won’t buy one gamble because you were unlucky, but you’re more than willing to buy into the same gamble with a different name.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

in Wintersday

TehPwnerer.7215

Some of you guys are funny. You won’t buy one gamble because you were unlucky, but you’re more than willing to buy into the same gamble with a different name.

Keep it constructive or don’t post at all. It’s known that hardly anybody got anything of any value from Halloween but the Karka event came out and there was a flood of stuff because the chests actually dropped stuff they said they were going to.

There is a difference between Black Lion chests and the event ones. We’ll see how they handle it this time around. Who knows? Maybe they’ve learned from their Halloween mistakes on this one.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

If I was to use cash for anything… It’d be to buy gold. I’d then look for what I wanted on the TP. Though, the most interesting thing from Consortium chests was possibly the crafting materials (as large amounts are necessary for infusions)

in Wintersday

Posted by: maloki.3527

maloki.3527

I really want it to be in the black lion chests for several reasons:
1. I have a bunch of keys! (48 atm aiming for at least 50 for when I start opening chests)
2. It helps level out the economy and clear out stuff. Especially right now with the Comendations, that you can get with the donation packaging and gear items that otherwise would be sold at 1c over vendor price. And it would sell Black Lion Chests on the TP and not just rot away in people’s inventories.

However I can see a good compromise;
Have it in the black lion chests at a droprate divided by the difference in gem price for the Event chests in the gem store, and the black lion keys. That way people can choose which they prefer.

Since I’m personally in love with the Black LIon chests, I want to use them, I refused to get any of the Consortium Chests because the concept really kitten me off.

ANet you know you Screwed up with the Halloween chests, you had a chance to fix it for Lost Shores, and now you seem to be botching it again.

Why have something in the game that people will recon useless, especially when there’s gems involved in using them?

I still love the chests, but I wont open them until I get more incentive and I keep saving keys in any way I can.

Maloki – Asura Necro/Sylvari Ele –
@Farshiverpeaks
You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse

in Wintersday

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Nope. Only possible way of me buyin one is if skins always drop.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Wintersday

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Didn’t buy them at halloween, didnt buy them for Lost Shores and I won’t buy them now.

I am not a gambler. I did however save up some keys, so I hope I can use those.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I’m not spending 10 cents on this game until some serious changes come along, and not just related to themed events.

The thief class, dungeons that are stupidly difficult, guilds moving to the “server that will win” every week, drop rates, Ascended gear as a dungeon treadmill, the lag monster at event times…

I could keep going.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve never bought the chests and I doubt I ever will. I don’t have anything against the idea in principle, but it’s not something I’m interested in. Especially not for skins.

I did make some consortium chests in the forge, and got a mini Karka out of it which I’m pretty happy about. In the end it worked out about the same price as if I’d bought the mini on the TP.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

I hope they don’t do that consortium crap again. Put the items in blcs so I can get a chance at everlasting tonics while getting skins.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kethryes.5712

Kethryes.5712

Anet will put 5 Minis at 350 gems each and 4 weapon skins at 500 gems each.
I don’t know if thee will be object exclusive to the chests though, but to me it seems they are listening this time with non RNG purchases.

(And I will continue not to buy chests, but the rest is interesting)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lynx.1352

Lynx.1352

The random chance is too much for me to even consider it, to be honest. Unless I find random key drops I’ll be just fine.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien, President of Anet

in Wintersday

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

ehhh.. if i have some random gems laying around from other purchases i might buy some keys.. but i don’t plan on specifically buying keys, no.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

in Wintersday

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

No, i will never buy GW2’s chests because i would have a better chance of winning the real world lottery with my dollar.

in Wintersday

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

I’m pretty sure that Anet is going to release a separate chest instead of having the BLC drop holiday items. After the whole thing with Halloween I doubt they would want to repeat that mistake again.

in Wintersday

Posted by: maloki.3527

maloki.3527

I’m pretty sure that Anet is going to release a separate chest instead of having the BLC drop holiday items. After the whole thing with Halloween I doubt they would want to repeat that mistake again.

Not repeating the mistake again, would be making the DROPRATES better! In those Chests, to clear the market from them with each holiday season!

Maloki – Asura Necro/Sylvari Ele –
@Farshiverpeaks
You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse

in Wintersday

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

No, I don’t like wasting money.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

in Wintersday

Posted by: Stridix.4260

Stridix.4260

Thank goodness I get keys from my alt the other day.

in Wintersday

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

Yes, i will buy the chests again. As i have for every event. People complaining about the chests and drop rates etc. i think are missing the point. It is simply a CHANCE to get a limited availability event item. Anet has always been clear about that. Some ppl will undoubtedly complain about making event items available for direct purchase in the gem store, if that’s the route they take for wintersday. I guess the bottom line is, there are many different types of players and you can’t please everyone all of the time. Some players, like myself, enjoy the sense of achievement of obtaining rare and/or hard to get items. I also enjoy the chests for the events because it’s a fun way to spend some gems and if i do get a nice skin or something then i feel very lucky and get to shout WOOT! lol. Others would rather simply play with their credit cards and thats ok too. It’s a game and should be fun for everyone. The thing that bothers me though is the sense of entitlement that i see in these forums all too often, especially concerning events, event rewards and the damn event chests. I mean srsly, it’s a game. The enjoyment should come from playing it. Playing a game always involves one of two outcomes, either you win, or you don’t win. The reward for winning in a game of this nature is the items you receive. If everyone were simply “given” every item then it wouldn’t be a game. It would simply be a midieval online fashion show where we all put on our gear and strut around lions arch. I don’t think that i or anyone should always be entitled to receive every reward and every item. In fact, i feel that it is the direct opposite.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Yes, i will buy the chests again. As i have for every event. People complaining about the chests and drop rates etc. i think are missing the point. It is simply a CHANCE to get a limited availability event item. Anet has always been clear about that. Some ppl will undoubtedly complain about making event items available for direct purchase in the gem store, if that’s the route they take for wintersday. I guess the bottom line is, there are many different types of players and you can’t please everyone all of the time. Some players, like myself, enjoy the sense of achievement of obtaining rare and/or hard to get items. I also enjoy the chests for the events because it’s a fun way to spend some gems and if i do get a nice skin or something then i feel very lucky and get to shout WOOT! lol. Others would rather simply play with their credit cards and thats ok too. It’s a game and should be fun for everyone. The thing that bothers me though is the sense of entitlement that i see in these forums all too often, especially concerning events, event rewards and the damn event chests. I mean srsly, it’s a game. The enjoyment should come from playing it. Playing a game always involves one of two outcomes, either you win, or you don’t win. The reward for winning in a game of this nature is the items you receive. If everyone were simply “given” every item then it wouldn’t be a game. It would simply be a midieval online fashion show where we all put on our gear and strut around lions arch. I don’t think that i or anyone should always be entitled to receive every reward and every item. In fact, i feel that it is the direct opposite.

I agree to some extent. I was dissapointed by the halloween minis because they were too easy to get and that meant there was no sense of achivement in having them.

But I also don’t want to gamble with real money for in-game items. I’m find with having to earn rewards, or having to take a chance on an RNG for a chance to have them drop, but I don’t want to pay real money for a random chance. That’s too much of a downside for what you get.

IMO it should be one or the other. Either a random chance or something you buy. Not buying the chance to gamble for it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: eXs.6210

eXs.6210

I would if the drop rates are better, like if I spent $10-$20 and was nearly guaranteed something cool or powerful, yea I’d do it… But dropping $100 and getting a bunch of boosters… No thanks… I got better things to spend my money on… Fiancee, parents, gaming hardware, going out, beer, travel, stocks… All much better investments than chests…

(edited by eXs.6210)

in Wintersday

BoogerSammich.7189

I agree to some extent. I was dissapointed by the halloween minis because they were too easy to get and that meant there was no sense of achivement in having them.

But I also don’t want to gamble with real money for in-game items. I’m find with having to earn rewards, or having to take a chance on an RNG for a chance to have them drop, but I don’t want to pay real money for a random chance. That’s too much of a downside for what you get.

IMO it should be one or the other. Either a random chance or something you buy. Not buying the chance to gamble for it.

Yeah i can definitely agree with that. Perhaps making 2 tiers of items available for holidays? What i mean is, a tier that is available on the gem store for direct purchase, and a second tier that is available in game, both as rewards and as craftable/forgeable items? And perhaps event chests could pull from a loot table containing both tiers so that purchasing an event chest would give you the “chance” to obtain any item that has been introduced for the event.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Malaprop.1794

Malaprop.1794

People complaining about the chests and drop rates etc. i think are missing the point. It is simply a CHANCE to get a limited availability event item. Anet has always been clear about that.

There’s a chance it’ll snow in Chicago on Christmas and there’s a chance I’ll be struck by lightning while holding a winning lottery ticket. Not exactly even odds between the two, though. Given the backlash last time around, I think it’s fair to say a lot of people were surprised that the “chance” turned out to be as low as it was for all holiday items.

in Wintersday

BoogerSammich.7189

weren’t the odds on the consortium chests better though? Personally i bought maybe 5 or 6 consortium chests and ended up getting an island shoulder skin. So the drop rates must not have been that low.

in Wintersday

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

Never have bought chest keys, never will. I don’t buy gambles, I buy products.

The obstacle is the path.

in Wintersday

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

weren’t the odds on the consortium chests better though? Personally i bought maybe 5 or 6 consortium chests and ended up getting an island shoulder skin. So the drop rates must not have been that low.

That seemed the case to me. I only bought two Consortium Chests and got a Mini Reef Drake.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Galk the Bloody.4629

Galk the Bloody.4629

NOPE, spent money on keys and used all the keys i had saved up. Opened 80 chests and 25 mad king chest, got only one shoulder skin selling for a few silver on the TP.

Bought a set of 10(?) consortum chests, got nothing out of it but the shoulder skins.

Anet well never get any more of my money for key/chest. They are scammers, Anet is no better than those emails/ robo phone calls that try to scam you out of your money.

in Wintersday

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

If they keys were permanently at the price they were offered when on sale, then yes. That seems about the right price for what you get out of the chests. At the current price, no way.

Guild warrior for life!

in Wintersday

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

God no, after mad king i will never buy keys again – not even for gold due to the current conversion rate.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

in Wintersday

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

I think they said there would be separate Christmas chests. If that’s the case I might. I’m kinda hoping there’s a mini pack I can get on it’s own though.

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

in Wintersday

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Definitely not!

in Wintersday

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

Nope. I learned my lesson from their mistakes of the past. If there are skins I can buy directly without having to gamble for them, I MAY buy something. I don’t like the direction the game has taken and I haven’t decided if I am going to continue to support Anet financially. It all comes down to how they handle the Christmas event I suppose.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

I doubt I’ll spend any irl money on anything. I’ll be shooting for converting my hard earned gold to gems to buy any costumes sold directly in the store (much like GW1). Beyond that I’ll watch people lose/win the BLC lottery (or other chest if there is one).

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

in Wintersday

Posted by: Moriganis.9271

Moriganis.9271

Will not buy anything with real money that gives the loot you want by chance

in Wintersday

Posted by: Anat.1765

Anat.1765

No, I bought Black Lion keys, got nothing worthwhile. I can’t do that with real life money. No keys or chests for me ever again unless I get keys in game or have too much gold.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Plum Butter.4058

Plum Butter.4058

I’m not spending 10 cents on this game until some serious changes come along, and not just related to themed events.

The thief class, dungeons that are stupidly difficult, guilds moving to the “server that will win” every week, drop rates, Ascended gear as a dungeon treadmill, the lag monster at event times…

I could keep going.

The dungeons are supposed to be difficult, the lag happens because they didn’t expect so many people playing their wonderful game and are working to fix issues, and did you not read the AMA with Chris? He stated that Ascended gear was supposed to be in the game from the start as a step from exotics to Legendary. There aren’t going to be anymore tiers and Ascended is there for people who want more progression without falling into the gear treadmill.
That is also the reason why you can only get rings and back items, with the rest of the “set” being released over the next year of time.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Gaviston Hawkington.9647

Gaviston Hawkington.9647

the solution is SO simple. All they have to do is guarantee A Wintersday item. Just like every other drop it will range from Common (90%) to Exotic (<1%). That way everyone gets SOMETHING, but just about everyone has the commons.

Solved.

in Wintersday

Posted by: iiroSan.8236

iiroSan.8236

Will not buy anything with real money that gives the loot you want by chance

This.

in Wintersday

Posted by: VoxShatterfall.5470

VoxShatterfall.5470

I have a feeling there is some type of US consumer law that says a person needs to display the content of an unknown lotto like package, exactly what a person could win ect (but not having to reveal the chances of receiving each particular item).

Like WotC releases a card list for every MTG set they release, contests / sweepstakes list all possible prizes that they are giving away, Lotteries list their cash prize levels.

The only industry that doesn’t show the prizes before hand is the entertainment industry like wheel of fortune, lets make a deal, or the weird one that you open 1 of 3 doors (all to “heighten” the excitement and entertainment value). “Deal or no Deal” doesn’t count as they have all the values known already.

It would be nice if we got a chime in from ANET before someone buys $100 USD of keys (I personally would only spend gold on keys).

Commander Vox Shatterfall / Ward Zabach / Ifrit the Immolated
Angry Intent | Multiple Servers
WTB Razor Blade Free Candy!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Okuza.5210

Okuza.5210

IMHO, random equates with “scam” and “rip-off”. Proponents will no doubt argue that it’s fun to open a chest and see what might pop out. And, if it’s fun for you, go for it. If you’re looking for the cheapest way to obtain a particular item, though, buy it on the TP.

I’ve opened maybe a couple hundred chests during my time playing GW2 and never once seen anything even close to approaching the value of a single key on the gem shop come out. Thankfully, I’ve never spent a gem on a key — only used in-game keys.

My best advice would be to never ever buy a key using gems.